PDA

View Full Version : #1 Priority??

RedLegSuperStar
12-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Now Walt has been stating since the last pitch of 2008 that a power hitting/RBI right handed bat was the number 1 priority this offseason and so far he has resigned Lincoln and Weathers, signed Rhodes, Nix, and Taveras, and dealt Freel for Hernandez. Am I missing something? Now he says he may go with Hairston in LF... I won't be happy with anything less then Abreu, Dye, Burrell, Swisher, or Nady.

Jpup
12-28-2008, 10:13 AM
The thing is, he could have a big bat for nothing but money. I expect Abreu will got to Oakland or even San Francisco, Burrell will probably end up with the Mets, and I don't really see Swisher or Nady going anywhere.

Redhook
12-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Apparantly Hairston is the #1 priority right now. Awesome.

top6
12-28-2008, 10:38 AM
The thing is, he could have a big bat for nothing but money. I expect Abreu will got to Oakland or even San Francisco, Burrell will probably end up with the Mets, and I don't really see Swisher or Nady going anywhere.

This is correct. I think I said in the other thread there were no good outfiedlers available, but they NEED to sign one of these guys. And I think they will.

Just kidding, what they really need is veteran leadership and some guys who know how to win.

RedLegSuperStar
12-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Then the report came out the the team had money to spend... I just don't understand

kpresidente
12-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Not only do we have money to spend, but WJ himself said he expected payroll to be in the mid-80s. Where is he going to find a way to spend that kind of money now? Color me confused as well.

mth123
12-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Not only do we have money to spend, but WJ himself said he expected payroll to be in the mid-80s. Where is he going to find a way to spend that kind of money now? Color me confused as well.

Maybe Taveras is making 8 figures.;)

durl
12-28-2008, 09:18 PM

A lot can happen between December and Spring Training.

RedLegSuperStar
12-29-2008, 06:00 AM
A lot can happen between December and Spring Training.

Your right. Its just that the way Walt talks seems as if they maybe heading in a different direction.

edabbs44
12-29-2008, 08:11 AM
Then the report came out the the team had money to spend... I just don't understand

Having money to spend doesn't mean you have to spend it. Spending just because you have the ability to spend without any thought for the future of the franchise is foolish.

RedLegSuperStar
12-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Having money to spend doesn't mean you have to spend it. Spending just because you have the ability to spend without any thought for the future of the franchise is foolish.

Then why come out and say it?

edabbs44
12-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Then why come out and say it?

Probably because there is money to spend, but there aren't opportunities that he wants to spend it on.

Say Cincy has $12MM to spend on one player for this season and that they like Burrell. But Burrell wants $48MM over 4 years and Jocketty only wants to go 2 years. Should he not care about 2011-2012 just because he has money in his pocket?

Wayne pulled that stunt with Cordero and now we have a very rich closer with 3 years left on his contract on a 5th place team.

Don't screw up the future because you are chasing the "win now" longshot.

RedLegSuperStar
12-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Good point... But I'm a fan who wants to win now. I want this club to prove to me that after 8 straight losing seasons they are committed to win. Yes they have a foundation to win with Cueto, Volquez, Bruce, and Votto... But potential is not going to work. We heard it all when Junior signed and we had Dunn and Kearns on the verge of being called up... How well did that go?

Jpup
12-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Probably because there is money to spend, but there aren't opportunities that he wants to spend it on.

Say Cincy has $12MM to spend on one player for this season and that they like Burrell. But Burrell wants $48MM over 4 years and Jocketty only wants to go 2 years. Should he not care about 2011-2012 just because he has money in his pocket?

Wayne pulled that stunt with Cordero and now we have a very rich closer with 3 years left on his contract on a 5th place team.

Don't screw up the future because you are chasing the "win now" longshot.

The thing is that the Reds could get someone for 2 years and 12 million per if they would. At this point, the Dye trade is looking better to me. I can't stomach watching Jerry Hairston Jr as the everyday left fielder.

edabbs44
12-29-2008, 11:32 AM
The thing is that the Reds could get someone for 2 years and 12 million per if they would. At this point, the Dye trade is looking better to me. I can't stomach watching Jerry Hairston Jr as the everyday left fielder.

They could get Dye for $11MMish and Bailey.

Maybe Walt is of the belief that he is the only one in the Dye mkt and that Jermaine is Plan B, if Plan A (i.e. Burrell) won't sign on his terms.

Jpup
12-29-2008, 02:40 PM
They could get Dye for $11MMish and Bailey.

Maybe Walt is of the belief that he is the only one in the Dye mkt and that Jermaine is Plan B, if Plan A (i.e. Burrell) won't sign on his terms.

I was not in favor of the Dye deal, but the Reds need some offense really, really bad. I want the Reds to sign Bobby Abreu, but it sounds like that is not going to happen. I think it would be a great deal for Abreu to play at GABP, and he would produce greatly for the Reds. 1 or 2 years and his stock goes up and we don't have to watch a putrid offense.

edabbs44
12-29-2008, 02:52 PM
I was not in favor of the Dye deal, but the Reds need some offense really, really bad. I want the Reds to sign Bobby Abreu, but it sounds like that is not going to happen. I think it would be a great deal for Abreu to play at GABP, and he would produce greatly for the Reds. 1 or 2 years and his stock goes up and we don't have to watch a putrid offense.

I'd be all aboard if they can get him on a favorable deal. But I wouldn't want to hear 3 and 4 year terms thrown around with big dollar signs attached.

Jpup
12-29-2008, 02:53 PM
I'd be all aboard if they can get him on a favorable deal. But I wouldn't want to hear 3 and 4 year terms thrown around with big dollar signs attached.

I hear ya. I'm talking 2 years at less than 25 million. Even 1 year at 12 would be great.

Hoosier Red
12-29-2008, 03:27 PM
I said on another thread, if the Reds treated Burrell like a football team does a franchise player, it would be beneficial for both team and player.

Burrell gets a one year deal worth a good amount of money, then next year hopes the economy has rebounded a little.