PDA

View Full Version : Kenshin Kawakami

mth123
12-28-2008, 12:42 PM
The Reds are in on him according to Nick Carfado of the Boston Globe. Per MLB Traderumors:

The Red Sox, Orioles, Braves, Reds, and Cardinals remain interested in Kenshin Kawakami.

I know little about Japanese pitchers except that they are usually pricey and inadequate. Anybody know about Kawakami?

Tom Servo
12-28-2008, 01:02 PM
rotoworld says this:

The 33-year-old Kawakami has a career mark of 112-72 with a 3.22 ERA, and went 9-5 with a 2.30 ERA for the Chunichi Dragons this season. Several months ago Kawakami was said to be interested in pitching for the Red Sox and Boston has once again been linked to him recently. He profiles as a potential mid-rotation starter, perhaps similar to Hiroki Kuroda.

Blitz Dorsey
12-28-2008, 01:19 PM
If he comes with a similar price tag as Kuroda, we can forget about it. Kuroda is extremely overpaid which is the case for a lot of the big-name Japanese players that come over here.

Plus, I can't imagine a big-name Japanese player coming to Cincinnati when he has other options. The Reds have never been a player in the Japanese market, I'd be shocked if they suddenly are. Japanese players want to play in cities that have a large Asian presense.

dougdirt
12-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Apparently he tops out around 87 MPH and is a HR prone pitcher. Stay far away.

Blitz Dorsey
12-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Yuck. Are we sure Eric Milton didn't change his name to Kenshin Kawakami?