PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Detroit Lions - a perfect season

Matt700wlw
12-28-2008, 05:33 PM
You've accomplished the ultimate in futility.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=281228009

That takes effort.

Bip Roberts
12-28-2008, 05:34 PM
Cant wait to buy a shirt to remember it by

durl
12-28-2008, 05:36 PM
Wow...the first NFL team ever go 0-16.

That's amazing.

Matt700wlw
12-28-2008, 05:36 PM
Get your t-shirts!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/28390933

redsfanmia
12-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Matt Millen should be proud. I really feel for Rod Marinelli he seems like a classy guy and a nice man and from all reports a good football coach.

Matt700wlw
12-28-2008, 05:38 PM
They went undefeated in the preseason

http://www.detroitlions.com/section_display.cfm?section_id=13&top=21&level=2

Redsfaithful
12-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Matt Millen should be proud. I really feel for Rod Marinelli he seems like a classy guy and a nice man and from all reports a good football coach.

His son in law is the defensive coordinator. When I heard that last week I kind of lost all sympathy for the guy.

The Lions have one of the worst owners in all of sports, and I'm all for guys like that getting embarrassed, even though I can't ever really enjoy mocking a bad team like the '08 Lions. I just always figure somewhere in Detroit there's a small kid that really loves the Lions and just went through an 0-16 season as a fan. That's just brutal.

Tom Servo
12-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Marinelli's a good guy but if the Lions even consider bringing him back next year the fans should stop coming, perioid. That team needs to be blown up.

redsfanmia
12-28-2008, 06:24 PM
His son in law is the defensive coordinator. When I heard that last week I kind of lost all sympathy for the guy.

The Lions have one of the worst owners in all of sports, and I'm all for guys like that getting embarrassed, even though I can't ever really enjoy mocking a bad team like the '08 Lions. I just always figure somewhere in Detroit there's a small kid that really loves the Lions and just went through an 0-16 season as a fan. That's just brutal.

What if his son in law is a damn good football coach? I am sure he was not on a bread route when he was hired to be defensive coordinator.

Slyder
12-28-2008, 07:58 PM
You've accomplished the ultimate in futility.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=281228009

That takes effort.

Who would you rather be right now....

Detroit or Dallas.

Those that dont know.

Philadelphia 44
Dullas 6

Redsfaithful
12-28-2008, 08:59 PM
What if his son in law is a damn good football coach? I am sure he was not on a bread route when he was hired to be defensive coordinator.

Seriously? I don't know much about the guy, but he just piloted the Lions defense to an 0-16 finish and one of the worst defenses in NFL history (going by points allowed). I'm going to go out on a huge limb here and say he's not a very good football coach, but being that I'm not a Lions fan and don't follow them too closely I suppose I could be wrong. But given the results I feel pretty comfortable with my conclusion.

WVRed
12-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Wow...the first NFL team ever go 0-16.

That's amazing.

Not quite. The first year Tampa Bay Bucs team went winless.

Marinelli was rumored to replace Monte Kiffin in Tampa, but I think they hired from within.

Danny Serafini
12-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Tampa only went 0-14 though. 0-16 hadn't been done until today.

paintmered
12-28-2008, 10:57 PM

Detroit or Dallas.

Those that dont know.

Philadelphia 44
Dullas 6

The football gods smile.

klw
12-29-2008, 12:28 AM
Does this mean the Lions should lose all the way to the Superbowl and somehow win that one?

Sea Ray
12-29-2008, 01:09 AM
It's a performance based business. Indeed an 0-16 team does deserve to be blown up. To argue that the head coach or the D-coordinator deserve to be retained is ludicrous.

redsfanmia
12-29-2008, 05:17 AM
Seriously? I don't know much about the guy, but he just piloted the Lions defense to an 0-16 finish and one of the worst defenses in NFL history (going by points allowed). I'm going to go out on a huge limb here and say he's not a very good football coach, but being that I'm not a Lions fan and don't follow them too closely I suppose I could be wrong. But given the results I feel pretty comfortable with my conclusion.

I dont know if Marinelli and staff are good coaches or not but they have the worst roster in the NFL and you cant take chicken bleep and make chicken salad. This season should be blamed on Mr. Ford and Matt Millen not Rod Marinelli and son-in-law.

Redsfaithful
12-29-2008, 09:16 AM
I dont know if Marinelli and staff are good coaches or not but they have the worst roster in the NFL and you cant take chicken bleep and make chicken salad. This season should be blamed on Mr. Ford and Matt Millen not Rod Marinelli and son-in-law.

A good coach would have won two or three games at least, and avoided being historically awful.

I don't disagree that Ford and Millen deserve most of the credit though.

RichRed
12-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Tampa only went 0-14 though. 0-16 hadn't been done until today.

Tampa Bay lost the first 26 games of their franchise's history, before beating the Saints and Cardinals at the end of the '77 season.

At least the Bucs had being an expansion team as an excuse. They were division champs by '79 though, which goes to show how quickly a turnaround can happen with the right people in place.

The Lions need to de-Marinelli themselves for that to have a chance of happening in Detroit though.

Chip R
12-29-2008, 03:43 PM

Detroit or Dallas.

Those that dont know.

Philadelphia 44
Dullas 6

I'm not quite sure why Jones is keeping Phillips and the rest of the staff on.

UKFlounder
12-29-2008, 08:41 PM
I think "de-Millen" is the better term, though Marinelli did not help it much when he came in.

(Oh, and perhaps draft something besides a WR in the 1st round too)

Tampa Bay lost the first 26 games of their franchise's history, before beating the Saints and Cardinals at the end of the '77 season.

At least the Bucs had being an expansion team as an excuse. They were division champs by '79 though, which goes to show how quickly a turnaround can happen with the right people in place.

The Lions need to de-Marinelli themselves for that to have a chance of happening in Detroit though.

UKFlounder
12-29-2008, 08:44 PM
'Cause the media said he would and he wants to prove them wrong :dunno:

Seriously, he also said he would not trade for Roy Williams, yet a couple of weeks later - Voila! he traded for Roy Williams.

Who knows what will happen, but I must admit I enjoyed watching that beatdown yesterday

I'm not quite sure why Jones is keeping Phillips and the rest of the staff on.

cincrazy
12-30-2008, 02:55 PM
I thought the Bengals of the 90's were awful. They have nothing on the Lions of this decade.

The Bengals went 52-108 in the 90's. This decade, the Lions are 40-104. Ouch.

camisadelgolf
12-30-2008, 03:10 PM
I thought the Bengals of the 90's were awful. They have nothing on the Lions of this decade.

Wow. I can't even fathom that. :eek:

Fortunately, some of the people who want to make Bungles jokes will have a different target for a while.

RichRed
12-30-2008, 03:29 PM

So the Lions just need to go 12-4 next year to tie the Bengals. Piece of cake.

Unassisted
12-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Jim Rome must have been happy, too. He always roots for a team to do this.

SunDeck
12-31-2008, 02:09 PM

And Mike is not real happy about that.

timothy1
01-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Yet... they haven't gotten shutout once... so much for effort

Chip R
01-18-2009, 11:10 PM
'Cause the media said he would and he wants to prove them wrong :dunno:

Seriously, he also said he would not trade for Roy Williams, yet a couple of weeks later - Voila! he traded for Roy Williams.

Who knows what will happen, but I must admit I enjoyed watching that beatdown yesterday

After that 2nd long TD in the Ravens game, I said to myself that he was so fired. I guess Jerry likes a guy who does his bidding.

Slyder
01-18-2009, 11:38 PM
After that 2nd long TD in the Ravens game, I said to myself that he was so fired. I guess Jerry likes a guy who does his bidding.

Just like Al is the puppet master in Oakland. He changes puppets but nothing changes on game day. Shmucks in, Shmucks out.