Cleveland (4-12)
Pittsburgh (12-4)
Oakland (5-11)
San Diego (7-8) *
Green Bay (6-10)
Minnesota (10-6)
New York Jets (9-7)

* Pending outcome of tonight's game

If San Diego beats Denver tonight, the Bengals will end up with only three non-divisional games (out of ten) against teams that had winning records this season. Only two of next year's non-divisional opponents will have made the playoffs this season.

By contrast, according to CBS today, the Bengals had the toughest schedule in the NFL this season.

Could they have a shot at another magical 8-8 season in 2009?

Redsfaithful
12-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Note this is the same lineup they had in 2005 basically, the NFC North and AFC West.

If they hire a GM I might let myself get fooled into getting excited again, but that's a big if. So easy to get sucked in with the past few games, but you just have to remember who the competition was.

Boss-Hog
12-28-2008, 09:00 PM
HOME:

Baltimore (11-5)
Cleveland (4-12)
Pittsburgh (12-4)
Denver (8-7) *
Kansas City (2-14)
Chicago (9-7)
Detroit (0-16)
Houston (8-8)

AWAY:

Baltimore (11-5)
Cleveland (4-12)
Pittsburgh (12-4)
Oakland (5-11)
San Diego (7-8) *
Green Bay (6-10)
Minnesota (10-6)
New York Jets (9-7)

* Pending outcome of tonight's game

If San Diego beats Denver tonight, the Bengals will end up with only three non-divisional games (out of ten) against teams that had winning records this season. Only two of next year's non-divisional opponents will have made the playoffs this season.

By contrast, according to CBS today, the Bengals had the toughest schedule in the NFL this season.

Could they have a shot at another magical 8-8 season in 2009?
If I understand things correctly, we're locked into having the Broncos at home and the Chargers on the road based on the locale of the last game with both teams. I certainly can be wrong, but Bengals.com is reporting this, as well.

MrCinatit
12-28-2008, 09:17 PM
That second to the last home game should be a Monday Night Football game. A national holiday, in fact.

Danny Serafini
12-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Note this is the same lineup they had in 2005 basically, the NFC North and AFC West.

If they hire a GM I might let myself get fooled into getting excited again, but that's a big if. So easy to get sucked in with the past few games, but you just have to remember who the competition was.

The Bengals had the AFC South in 2005.

macro
12-29-2008, 12:08 AM
If I understand things correctly, we're locked into having the Broncos at home and the Chargers on the road based on the locale of the last game with both teams. I certainly can be wrong, but Bengals.com is reporting this, as well.

Yep, they set the schedule (except for the two games that are based on standings) for all teams for 2002-2009 back in 2002. (I may be off on the starting year, but I do know that next year is the last year that was pre-scheduled. Not sure what their plans are beyond '09.) Since the Bengals went to Denver last time they met in the regular season (remember the Brad St. Louis bad snap?), the next one will be here. Chargers came here last (remember the second half collapse?), so Bengals go there next year.

That's right. Teams have three other divisions in their conference to rotate through, but four divisions in the other conference to rotate through.

I really like the scheduling formula they have used for the past several seasons and hope they continue to use it beyond 2009. I really hope they don't entertain the idea of expansion. The beauty of the NFL and it's current scheduling format is the symmetry, a far cry from the mess that is Major League Baseball.

Redsfaithful
12-29-2008, 09:12 AM

Yep, that's right, my mistake.