PDA

View Full Version : Mike Brown, go after Savage

cincrazy
12-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Apparently Phil Savage is out as GM of the Browns.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11195526

I would love to see the Bengals make a run at him. Savage and Marvin Lewis worked together in Baltimore, and Savage is a great judge of talent, so if the Bengals are looking for a GM......

I know, I know, a pipe dream, but still.

HotCorner
12-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Sure hire him as a scout but not as a GM.

cincrazy
12-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Sure hire him as a scout but not as a GM.

Why not? The guy pumped more than enough talent into Cleveland. They went 10-6 last year. Sure they had a bad year this year, but I don't think that erases a lot of what he accomplished.

WVRed
12-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Why not? The guy pumped more than enough talent into Cleveland. They went 10-6 last year. Sure they had a bad year this year, but I don't think that erases a lot of what he accomplished.

He had one good year to build off of, and Cleveland fell flat on their face.

Exactly what did he accomplish? If anything, he accomplished more in the no 2 role in Baltimore than he did as a GM.

WVRed
12-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Not that it matters. I don't see the Bengals hiring a GM for one simple reason.

Marvin is still under contract. Whoever the GM is will want his own people running the show, and I can't see SoP cutting Marvin loose and paying him for one year. He will let his contract expire and hire whoever will take the job.

cincrazy
12-28-2008, 11:34 PM
He had one good year to build off of, and Cleveland fell flat on their face.

Exactly what did he accomplish? If anything, he accomplished more in the no 2 role in Baltimore than he did as a GM.

Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, Joe Thomas and Brady Quinn in the same round... the man rejuvenated that franchise. I think the reason for them falling on their face was because of injuries, a killer schedule, and uncertainy at QB, not to mention a horrible coaching staff.

The guy knows how to find players in the draft, and we DESPERATELY need that.

But you're correct in stating Brown would probably never hire a GM

Yachtzee
12-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, Joe Thomas and Brady Quinn in the same round... the man rejuvenated that franchise. I think the reason for them falling on their face was because of injuries, a killer schedule, and uncertainy at QB, not to mention a horrible coaching staff.

He did trade away the first year of this year's draft without much to see in return. That will probably hurt the Browns for the next two years. And based on the experience after the Bengals' 11-5 year, I'd hardly call a 10-6 year a "rejuvenation." If the Bengals are going to hire a GM, I'd rather they do so as part of a wholesale change in organizational philosophy and seek out someone from an organization with a history of success.

P.S. A lot of Browns fans would like to see Edwards and his tendency to drop balls shipped out of town.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-29-2008, 01:49 AM
I never saw the fascination with Brady Quinn.

They gave up a bunch up to get him.

redsfanmia
12-29-2008, 04:18 AM
The Bengals should go after Chris Polian of the Colts or Scott Paoli of the hated Pats if they are serious.

GAC
12-29-2008, 09:10 AM
I think the reason for them falling on their face was because of injuries, a killer schedule, and uncertainy at QB, not to mention a horrible coaching staff.

Bingo!

The Browns are a better team then their 4-12 record. They had a rash of pre-season injuries that really got them off to a bad start. And they gave away 4 games this year that, IMO, they should have won. But that is my subjective opinion.

But the injuries was one problem. The killer schedule was another. And the Bengals had one too. I predicted in the pre-season that the Browns would be lucky to finish 8-8.

The other(s)?

I like Savage, but I'd like to see him retained in our FO as a talent evaluator in some capacity. Not as GM.

He screwed up at the end of last season by....

#1 - extending Crennel and giving him a nice raise, when it wasn't necessary. No one was beating down the door to sway him out of Cleveland.

#2 - resigning Anderson to that ridiculous contract. He should have sold high. Derek Anderson is no more then a very good backup. he's just like another ex-Brown QB in Holcomb, who can come in and shine periodically, yet doesn't show consistency to be a starter. They could have let him walk as a limited FA and got some nice picks out of it all.

Those two moves spelled Savage's doom IMO. League sources have speculated that Patriots vice president of personnel Scott Pioli is a potential successor to Savage.

Crennel will be history also. I thought the forte for guys like Romeo and Lewis was defense?

If Pioli is hired, head coaching candidates are expected to be Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz.

But it is also rumored that Lerner is going hard and fast, behind the scenes, after Cowher.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3795786

WVRed
12-29-2008, 11:03 AM

A lot of Savage's moves are going to have to be wait and see, especially Brady Quinn. I think he was mismanaged, especially with the decision to retain Derek Anderson, and I ultimately believe his career will have an impact as a result.

Cleveland should have taken the Cincinnati approach and let Anderson have one year, then go with Brady Quinn this year.

I have no problem with bringing Savage in as a scout, but I want no part of him as a GM. Giving up a first and second round pick to move up one spot for Winslow, and trading away the entire draft last year for Shaun Rogers, Corey Williams, and Brady Quinn shows me that Savage isn't exactly somebody I would want pulling the final trigger on any decisions.

Scout yes. GM no.

cincrazy
12-29-2008, 01:54 PM
I can understand not wanting him as a GM, I suppose, although I wouldn't object. I just think it's high time the Bengals hired SOMEONE that knows SOMETHING about evaluating talent, and he fits the bill.

Yachtzee
12-29-2008, 02:05 PM
I can understand not wanting him as a GM, I suppose, although I wouldn't object. I just think it's high time the Bengals hired SOMEONE that knows SOMETHING about evaluating talent, and he fits the bill.

There are plenty of guys out there who can evaluate talent. I'd like to see the Bengals go after someone from a winning organization. It would finally signal that the Bengals FO has realized that it philosophies on how to run a football team are from a bygone era. The mantra should be "Great talent, winning attitude" from top to bottom.

gonelong
12-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Maybe the post header should read "Savages, go after Mike Brown"

GL

/I kid. :)

Redsfaithful
12-29-2008, 04:58 PM
lol at the idea of the Bengals hiring scouts. That's less likely than hiring a GM I think. I mean they have all they need with the couple they have now, why bring in more?

WVRed
12-29-2008, 09:52 PM
lol at the idea of the Bengals hiring scouts. That's less likely than hiring a GM I think. I mean they have all they need with the couple they have now, why bring in more?

If I had my choice...

If the Dolphins sale goes through and Parcells is allowed out of his contract, I would throw a boatload of money Parcells way and give him absolute total control of the franchise.

Let Marvin go and bring in your own guy, you've got it.

Control of the draft, consider it done.

That being said, I am not Mike Brown.

KronoRed
12-29-2008, 10:37 PM
I don't see why the Bengals need to do anything, they finished 4-3-1, they are obviously on the road to being "competitive"

Stay the course :D

Yachtzee
12-29-2008, 11:51 PM
I don't see why the Bengals need to do anything, they finished 4-3-1, they are obviously on the road to being "competitive"

Stay the course :D

"Stay on target. . ."

http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/617662/images/Porkins.jpg

Newport Red
12-30-2008, 06:28 PM

If we can use injuries, a killer schedule and uncertainty at QB as as excuses for a poor season, why should we expect SoP to hire a general manager. The Bengals led the league in players on IR and opposition winning percentage.

cincyredsone
12-30-2008, 07:16 PM
i would like to see the bengals go after new england's general manager. but, it will never happen. mike brown will never do that. he will continue to run the bengals and, they will continue to win 3-5 games per year. until mike brown step's down or, step's aside or, whatever he has to do. the bengals will not win. i would like very much to see the bengals start winning but, as long as mike brown is running the team. it will never happen

cincrazy
12-30-2008, 11:03 PM
If we can use injuries, a killer schedule and uncertainty at QB as as excuses for a poor season, why should we expect SoP to hire a general manager. The Bengals led the league in players on IR and opposition winning percentage.

All I'm saying is, Phil Savage enhanced the talent level in Cleveland during his tenure. That job is MUCH more attractive now, after his departure, than it was four years ago after Butch David was done destroying it. He also did a fantastic job in Baltimore.

It's really a moot point, I don't see the Bengals getting a GM soon. All I said was I would like to see it happen. I know that the Browns had a horrible season, but I like Savage.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-30-2008, 11:09 PM
As much as I normally see glass half empty with regards to the Bengals, I must say that I can see them making a huge turn around in 2009.

Not a huge fan of Marvin Lewis, but continuity, an easier schedule, healthy players, and luck may make it a Dolphin-like turnaround.

Serriusly.

Newport Red
12-31-2008, 03:52 PM
All I'm saying is, Phil Savage enhanced the talent level in Cleveland during his tenure. That job is MUCH more attractive now, after his departure, than it was four years ago after Butch David was done destroying it. He also did a fantastic job in Baltimore.

It's really a moot point, I don't see the Bengals getting a GM soon. All I said was I would like to see it happen. I know that the Browns had a horrible season, but I like Savage.

I know.It was kind of tongue-in-cheek. Savage had a pretty hard year in Cleveland. The Winslow incident and the profane letter to a fan. Savage, or anyone else for the matter, would have their competitive spirit ripped right out working 24/7 with the Bengals front office.

Couldn't you see a GM presenting a draft action plan focusing on the offensive and defensive lines and having SoP say, "Hmm, let's take Beanie Wells at 6 if he's still on the board."

cincrazy
01-01-2009, 12:45 AM
I know.It was kind of tongue-in-cheek. Savage had a pretty hard year in Cleveland. The Winslow incident and the profane letter to a fan. Savage, or anyone else for the matter, would have their competitive spirit ripped right out working 24/7 with the Bengals front office.

Couldn't you see a GM presenting a draft action plan focusing on the offensive and defensive lines and having SoP say, "Hmm, let's take Beanie Wells at 6 if he's still on the board."

I could see that scenario playing out. That's why we'll never be able to land a top front office type, unfortunately :)

timothy1
01-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Savage wants too much control for Mike Brown to give up so it wouldn't work... I coud see it last year regarding Chris Henry...

Savage: let Chris Henry go somewhere else

MB: No, I'm bringing him in...

S: You mean Chris "Don't You Know Who I Am" Henry? He's had one too many chances!

MB: It's done, I'm bringing him in

S: I'm outta here...

smoke6
01-22-2009, 02:35 PM

Kellen Winslow was in Cleveland before Phil Savage. Savage made some good moves (Shaun Rogers, Joe Thomas, BQ), but most moves never worked out. Savage was the REASON a lot of people were ticked off in Cleveland. It his way or the highway and usually, his way isn't that good. Take him if you want him...:D

Mario-Rijo
01-22-2009, 05:10 PM
As much as I normally see glass half empty with regards to the Bengals, I must say that I can see them making a huge turn around in 2009.

Not a huge fan of Marvin Lewis, but continuity, an easier schedule, healthy players, and luck may make it a Dolphin-like turnaround.

Serriusly.

I absolutely agree. Health being the # 1 issue standing in the way. If we are relatively healthy and completely healthy with regards to certain critical positions (I.E. Carson) then I am getting more and more optimistic. Depending of course on how how the offseason goes.

redsfan1966
02-07-2009, 05:17 AM
What if the Bengals went after Michael Savage??.....:D

Yachtzee
02-08-2009, 11:28 PM
What if the Bengals went after Michael Savage??.....:D

I think Fred Savage is just as likely as any other Savage for GM. ;)

DTCromer
02-09-2009, 03:47 PM
From Mike Brown's perspective, hiring a GM is a PR move.

He'll look at it this way:

If I spend X amount of dollars on a GM, what kind of profit will I gain from that?

In other words, Mikey's not getting a GM.