PDA

View Full Version : Mangini fired

TeamSelig
12-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Hopefully Marvin is to follow. I wouldn't mind picking up Mangini. What do you guys think?

NorrisHopper30
12-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Marvin won't get fired, he finished the season strong!

Mangini is a good coach IMO, the Jets overachieved the past few year with less than stellar talent as far as I'm concerned. That Jets team that got in the playoffs 2 or 3 years ago was probably the worst team I've seen get into the playoffs in my lifetime

Dan
12-29-2008, 01:33 PM
I was thinking about that as well. I'd LOVE to see Marvin go and Mangini replace him.

Reds4Life
12-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Lewis has another year left on this deal, no way Ebeneezer Brown is going to pay him to stay home.

Mario-Rijo
12-29-2008, 03:17 PM
According to ESPN Mangini, Crennel and Marinelli we're all canned already. And Cowher already turned down Cleveland. It's on the front page if anyone wants to check 'em out.

CTA513
12-29-2008, 04:52 PM
According to ESPN Mangini, Crennel and Marinelli we're all canned already. And Cowher already turned down Cleveland. It's on the front page if anyone wants to check 'em out.

:ughmamoru

Redsfaithful
12-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Marvin isn't the problem, and Mangini wouldn't do any better in Cincinnati. He'd actually probably do worse since he couldn't do much with a team that has actual resources and an owner that cares.

redsfanmia
12-29-2008, 06:07 PM
What are the odds that Mangini goes back to New England as Associate head coach?

blumj
12-29-2008, 06:33 PM
What are the odds that Mangini goes back to New England as Associate head coach?
Ha, probably not too good. I guess Belichick wouldn't mind bringing Romeo back, though.

jimbo
12-29-2008, 07:06 PM

I'd love to have him in Cleveland as HC.

WVRed
12-29-2008, 08:36 PM
If you consider the Bill Belicheck coaching tree, it isn't looking very good right now.

Charlie Weis: Hot seat at Notre Dame. Likely gone unless major turnaround next season.

Romeo Crennel: Axed in Cleveland.

Eric Mangini (Mangenius): Gone from New York.

I'd hate to be bringing in Josh McDaniels for an interview right now with that in mind.

RichRed
12-30-2008, 07:24 AM
I think Mangini wasn't so much fired as he was Favre'd.

Blimpie
12-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Sounds like the Jets are going to backup the brinks truck to land Bill Cowher.

Hybrid
12-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Marvin isn't going anywhere, plus it really doesn't matter who the coach is as long as Mike Brown is making the personnel decisions. The Bengals need to hire a GM before they worry about finding another head coach.

blumj
12-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Wow, Shanahan's out, too.

Tom Servo
12-30-2008, 05:34 PM
And yet the Bills keep Jauron. Football's weird.

Matt700wlw
12-30-2008, 05:52 PM
I think Mangini wasn't so much fired as he was Favre'd.

Bingo.

He interviewed with Cleveland today

Newport Red
12-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Bingo.

He interviewed with Cleveland today

Huh, I thought they were going to hire a GM first. I guess get him before someone else does.

cincyredsone
12-30-2008, 06:43 PM
i was kinda surprised mangini got fired. but, he stuck his neck out when he went after favre, and to have pennington wind up in miami and, they win the division, that might have had something to do with it.

justincredible
12-30-2008, 06:49 PM
As a Jets fan I am glad to see Mangini get the axe. I couldn't stand the super-conservative play calling and inability to make in-game adjustments. If I were a Bengals fan I wouldn't want him near my team.

redsfanmia
12-30-2008, 06:58 PM

Freeing him up to reclaim the Raiders job.

UKFlounder
12-30-2008, 07:05 PM
He didn't stick his neck out to go get Favre- the GM did, yet the GM (Tannebaum?) keeps his job, and the coach loses his.

i was kinda surprised mangini got fired. but, he stuck his neck out when he went after favre, and to have pennington wind up in miami and, they win the division, that might have had something to do with it.

justincredible
12-30-2008, 07:34 PM
He didn't stick his neck out to go get Favre- the GM did, yet the GM (Tannebaum?) keeps his job, and the coach loses his.

I don't think Tanny wanted Favre, either. It was Woody Johnson who wanted Favre to help sell the PSLs.

Tom Servo
12-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Mangini was definatly a Favre backer. He even gave his most recent kid the middle name Brett in honor of #4.

blumj
12-31-2008, 10:51 AM
Huh, I thought they were going to hire a GM first. I guess get him before someone else does.
The word in Boston is that they're going after Scott Pioli for GM pretty hard, and he probably knows already if he wants Mangini as HC without having to interview him now.

KoryMac5
12-31-2008, 10:59 AM
Mangini was definatly a Favre backer. He even gave his most recent kid the middle name Brett in honor of #4.

Mangini may have appreciated Favre from a far, unfortunately once he started playing for the Jets that relationship quickly turned sour. Lot of behind the scenes stuff is starting to come out about the relationship and I am sure we will get more details soon.

TeamSelig
12-31-2008, 12:16 PM
So where is Shanahan going? Would love to have him too.

KoryMac5
12-31-2008, 03:27 PM

Jerry Jones and Shanahan have a pretty good relationship I can see that marriage working for at least a couple of years.

Yachtzee
01-01-2009, 12:24 PM

Maybe then the Bengals could learn how to take out other teams DLs with questionable cut blocks.

MWM
01-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Jerry Jones and Shanahan have a pretty good relationship I can see that marriage working for at least a couple of years.

Hmmm, that's interesting. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Jones go after Shanahan. But wait, he said his coaching staff was in place and they'd all be coming back. I could see the fickle Jones doing a complete 180 now that Shanahan is available.

Michael Young
01-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Hmmm, that's interesting. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Jones go after Shanahan. But wait, he said his coaching staff was in place and they'd all be coming back. I could see the fickle Jones doing a complete 180 now that Shanahan is available.

he already fired his special teams coach . took him less than a week to make himself a liar

Blimpie
01-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Hmmm, that's interesting. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Jones go after Shanahan. But wait, he said his coaching staff was in place and they'd all be coming back. I could see the fickle Jones doing a complete 180 now that Shanahan is available.I bet Jones would can Phillips tomorrow if he thought he could land Shanahan.

camisadelgolf
01-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Wade Phillips needs to be fired anyway. That thing with Romo telling the special teams to stay on the sideline didn't look like a leader stepping up. Instead, it looked like the team didn't have any respect for Phillips. Then again, it looked like a similar situation the year before the Giants won the Super Bowl.

redsfanmia
01-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Wade Phillips needs to be fired anyway. That thing with Romo telling the special teams to stay on the sideline didn't look like a leader stepping up. Instead, it looked like the team didn't have any respect for Phillips. Then again, it looked like a similar situation the year before the Giants won the Super Bowl.

Peyton Manning tells the special teams to stay on the sidelines all the time and I am sure Tom Brady does too. Does that mean Peyton does not respect Coach Dungy? I guess Brady does not the respect Belicheat too.

camisadelgolf
01-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Peyton Manning tells the special teams to stay on the sidelines all the time and I am sure Tom Brady does too. Does that mean Peyton does not respect Coach Dungy? I guess Brady does not the respect Belicheat too.

Call it a double standard if you want, but like I said, when Romo does it, it doesn't seem like he's stepping up as a leader. When Romo was waving his hands to keep the special teams off the field, Phillips was angry, yelling at Romo, etc. In the case of Manning and Dungy, their relationship allows for Manning to make moves like that, but Phillips and Romo don't have that same relationship. We're talking about the difference between a leader leading his team and a rebel making players take sides.

Michael Young
01-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Call it a double standard if you want, but like I said, when Romo does it, it doesn't seem like he's stepping up as a leader. When Romo was waving his hands to keep the special teams off the field, Phillips was angry, yelling at Romo, etc. In the case of Manning and Dungy, their relationship allows for Manning to make moves like that, but Phillips and Romo don't have that same relationship. We're talking about the difference between a leader leading his team and a rebel making players take sides.

the difference is manning and brady have earned that right

romo hasnt

camisadelgolf
01-01-2009, 03:30 PM

romo hasnt

Yeah, basically. I guess I should have just said that. :D

Blimpie
01-02-2009, 11:50 AM

romo hasntRomo will never be a leader as long as he continues to keep silent while T.O. keeps trashing him in the press...

Anyone remember what Manning said to the press during the Pro Bowl about his "idiot kicker getting liquored up and getting in front of a television camera"? That was about all that was needed to squash anything resembling a locker room divide in Indianapolis. Mike Vanderjagt was out of Indy after the 2005 season and the Colts were SB champs two years later.