PDA

View Full Version : "What's the score?" or "What gets measured gets managed"....

Cooper
12-29-2008, 02:21 PM
For years now baseball people and fans have accumulated numerous ways to measure the success and failure of baseball players and managers. There are still many things to learn when it comes to building team success. In fact, front office people look for new ways every day (at least the good front office's do).

What i find amazing is a real lack of accountibility when it comes to measuring the work of front office types (asst. GM's, head scouts, Dir. of scouting operations, etc...). We hear things like "he signed these 3 players when he was a scout" or "he's a real good guy" or "he was the head scout when the team was bad, but later they got real good, but that was before he left".

Point being, we really don't have a clue what/who/why certai people succeed in certain jobs and others do not. Heck, I'm not even sure we really know what's required of certain jobs (is it analytical skills, contacts in the game, an overall team philosophy, or just hiring good people and getting out of the way so they can do their jobs?).

I'm guessing the really good teams are beginning to measure this stuff and when they do they are going to have a huge advantage over others. It's a huge endeavor and there is no current model in which to work from.

Lastly, and this might be a teams biggest hurdle, there will be a huge backlash from front office types. They have had a culture of mysticism in which they are evaluated. I'm guessing that many front office folk feel like they have an insight into what they do. The only way you can aquire that insight is if you get the job. They really can't tell you how/why they are better than others (at least from an analytical view point). Tey have the skills because they have the job.

I write all this because, imo, the Reds have hired a goodly amount of front office types that have appeared to be failures in certain jobs, but yet, they survive and get hired to do other FO jobs.

How do we know if these cats can do the right thing? It appears to me the Reds have set up a culture of "who you know" rather than "what you know"...but i have nothing to base it on other than mlb records. Until we start measuring front office strengths/limitaions: the whole thing is a crap shoot.

flyer85
12-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Baseball is inbred ... and to get in you have to be a member in their "Society of Secret Knowlege".

jesusfan
12-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Baseball is inbred ... and to get in you have to be a member in their "Society of Secret Knowlege".

Not only baseball... But I would argue that there are many college and professional sports programs like that. There are literally thousands of people out here in the real world that could do better than many of the "expert" coaches and scouts in sports today... I firmly believe that, there are many times that you have to have the name or be in their social loop to even get a chance to be in college or pro sports...