Julian Tavarez (36)
Mike Timlin (43)
Ron Villone (39)
Kip Wells (32)
Matt Wise (33)
Jamey Wright (34)

REDREAD
12-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Well, here's some minor, non-sexy suggestions. I wanted to throw something out that was not discussed heavily yet.

If Eckstien's salary demands fell enough and he'd take a one year deal, he might give us some insurance at SS. Considering he made 4.5 million last year, I kind of doubt he'll take that much of a cut though.

Chris Burke doesn't provide much offense, but he could be a useful utility guy if Harriston Jr signs elsewhere. He'd probably be pretty cheap too, and he's only 29.

mth123
12-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Well, here's some minor, non-sexy suggestions. I wanted to throw something out that was not discussed heavily yet.

If Eckstien's salary demands fell enough and he'd take a one year deal, he might give us some insurance at SS. Considering he made 4.5 million last year, I kind of doubt he'll take that much of a cut though.

Chris Burke doesn't provide much offense, but he could be a useful utility guy if Harriston Jr signs elsewhere. He'd probably be pretty cheap too, and he's only 29.

Eckstein's days at SS appear to be over, but hey, if Jeff Keppinger can play there...

Burke has had enough failures that a minor league deal should be all that is warranted, but he has enough upside and OB Skills that I'd do that in a heartbeat.

membengal
12-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Redread, you are trying to kill me, I see. No, no, no, to Eckstein. I do like Burke though as a nice back-up possiblity.

As for that list, and in the Walt pitching/defense vein, my eyes wander to Orlando Hudson again. Have the Reds ever given any reasons why Phillips couldn't slide to SS? Seems like Hudson/Phillips up the middle would really strengthen the D, and Hudson is a nice bat in the 2-spot in the order.

Jpup
12-30-2008, 11:56 AM
I would like to see Nomar and Kotsay signed for the bench, but that is never going to happen. Nomar will probably retire if he doesn't get a job in LA or, at least, California.

Hap
12-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Oliver Perez
Randy Wolf

Spitball
12-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Oliver Perez
Randy Wolf

I'm afraid these two will be offered far more than they are worth by other, more desperate teams. The Reds have too many other options for their rotation though they may be wise to take a minor league gamble on a Mulder or Garcia.

hebroncougar
12-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Oliver Perez is repped by Scott Boras. You can forget him. I'm betting on Will Ohman, Mark Mulder, Brad Wilkerson, and Emil Brown would be guys the reds could possibly target

jesusfan
12-30-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm afraid these two will be offered far more than they are worth by other, more desperate teams. The Reds have too many other options for their rotation though they may be wise to take a minor league gamble on a Mulder or Garcia.

Offense, offense and more offense... We don't need pitching, especially Mulder or Garcia... the fifth spot will have plenty of candidates that are both young and talented... Mulder and Garcia are old and broken.

Tom Servo
12-30-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm still in favor of adding Brad Wilkerson to the bench. I think maybe he could save his career here ala Juan Encarnacion and Jose Guillen.

mth123
12-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Offense, offense and more offense... We don't need pitching, especially Mulder or Garcia... the fifth spot will have plenty of candidates that are both young and talented... Mulder and Garcia are old and broken.

Not sure. I think the Reds are going to need to deal young starters or pen arms to fill the positon needs. Bailey needs a full year at AAA, Thompson and Ramirez are middle relievers (could be pretty good ones), ideally Owings is a swing man.

I'd deal Weathers and Keppinger to the Yankees for Nick Swisher, and Josh Roenicke and Chris Valaika to the Rays for Reid Brignac, I'd put Thonpson and Ramirez in the pen competitiion and take some flyers on minor league deals for Jason Jennings, Mark Mulder and Carl Pavano,

schroomytunes
12-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Well I think your going to see some kind of a platoon situation out in LF this year involving Dickerson and EMIL BROWN. We will sign Brown to a one year contract and hope that Alonzo is ready by 2010!

mth123
12-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Well I think your going to see some kind of a platoon situation out in LF this year involving Dickerson and EMIL BROWN. We will sign Brown to a one year contract and hope that Alonzo is ready by 2010!

Brown has really fallen off the last two seasons, but has still been decent against LHP (OPS of .823 in '07 and .812 in '08). I would have liked a platoon of he and Dickerson in CF. In LF, I'm hoping for better. Jim Edmonds against RHP, with EdE or Votto in LF against LHP and Keppinger at 3B or 1B.

Spitball
12-30-2008, 02:45 PM
The more I ponder the options, the more appealing Ty Wigginton gets. I just don't see anyone else who is affordable and can help solve some problems. Wigginton could move Encarnacion off third (to left, first, or trade) and add a decent right handed bat to the line-up. If he would sign for three years around $21 million, he would not be a bargain but perhaps the most logical move.

BTW, I doubt Adrian Beltre is going to be traded.

Scrap Irony
12-30-2008, 02:53 PM
How about Eric Hinske? Solid vet who could blossom in the GABP after a career in the AL East. All he'll cost is cash, but he's not exactly a sexy move.

Still, after Taveras, he'll look like a Godsend.

TRF
12-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Dennys Reyes and Baldelli.

mth123
12-30-2008, 03:10 PM
How about Eric Hinske? Solid vet who could blossom in the GABP after a career in the AL East. All he'll cost is cash, but he's not exactly a sexy move.

Still, after Taveras, he'll look like a Godsend.

I like Hinske in a platoon with Kepp. Kepp could play 1B or 3B against LHP with Votto or EdE in LF. Hinske himself may be a better 3B than EdE but as JBlum pointed out in another thread, he hasn't played there much lately.

HokieRed
12-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Edmonds-Owings in left, or Edmonds-Rosales.

mth123
12-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Edmonds-Owings in left, or Edmonds-Rosales.

I like the premise and the Edmonds signing, but Rosales actually struggles against LHP. Keppinger kills lefty pitchers. Put him at 1B or 3B and get a look at Votto or EdE out there against lefties.

Owings needs to play on offense in winter ball or the minors before I'd put him out there in a regular role.

Highlifeman21
12-30-2008, 09:11 PM
I like Hinske in a platoon with Kepp. Kepp could play 1B or 3B against LHP with Votto or EdE in LF. Hinske himself may be a better 3B than EdE but as JBlum pointed out in another thread, he hasn't played there much lately.

Hinske is a butcher at 3B, but he's a great platoon option for the Reds playing somewhere, whether it's LF, or 3B.

Between 2006-2008, Hinske's OPS'd .829 vs. RHB, which is something we could definitely use in this offensively challenged lineup.

membengal
02-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Redread, you are trying to kill me, I see. No, no, no, to Eckstein. I do like Burke though as a nice back-up possiblity.

As for that list, and in the Walt pitching/defense vein, my eyes wander to Orlando Hudson again. Have the Reds ever given any reasons why Phillips couldn't slide to SS? Seems like Hudson/Phillips up the middle would really strengthen the D, and Hudson is a nice bat in the 2-spot in the order.

Hudson still isn't signed anywhere, is he?

In an alternative universe, I would still have loved the Reds to step up, sign to what will apparently be an extraordinarily cheap contract, and move Phillips to SS. It would immeasurably improve this team for 2009.

membengal
02-12-2009, 01:29 PM
By the way, what I understand to be the updated list per mlbtraderumors.com of remaining free agents:

Updated 2-11-09

Catchers
Gary Bennett (37)
Johnny Estrada (33)
Paul Lo Duca (37) - Type B, not offered arb
Ivan Rodriguez (37) - Type B, not offered arb

First basemen
Miguel Cairo (35)
Nomar Garciaparra (35)
Doug Mientkiewicz (35)
Richie Sexson (34)
Mark Sweeney (39)

Second basemen
Ray Durham (37)
Damion Easley (39)
Mark Grudzielanek (39) - Type B, offered arb
Orlando Hudson (31) - Type A, offered arb
Adam Kennedy (33)
Ramon Martinez (36)

Shortstops
Orlando Cabrera (34) - Type A, offered arb
Nomar Garciaparra (35)
Tomohiro Nioka (33)

Third basemen
Joe Crede (31)
Nomar Garciaparra (35)
Ramon Martinez (36)

Left fielders
Moises Alou (42) - Type B, not offered arb
Garret Anderson (37) - Type B, not offered arb
Emil Brown (34)
Luis Gonzalez (41) - Type B, not offered arb
Jay Payton (36)
Manny Ramirez (37) - Type A, offered arb

Center fielders
Jim Edmonds (39)

Right fielders
Emil Brown (34)
Ken Griffey Jr. (39) - Type B, not offered arb

DHs
Frank Thomas (41) - Type B, not offered arb
Jose Vidro (34)

Starting pitchers
Kris Benson (33)
Paul Byrd (38) - Type B, offered arb
Tom Glavine (43)
Livan Hernandez (34)
Orlando Hernandez (43)
Chuck James (27)
Jon Lieber (39)
Rodrigo Lopez (33)
Pedro Martinez (37)
Mark Mulder (31)
Sidney Ponson (32)
Kenny Rogers (44)
Curt Schilling (42)
Ben Sheets (30) - Type A, offered arb
Kip Wells (32)

Relievers
Joe Beimel (32) - Type B, not offered arb
Joe Borowski (38)
Shawn Chacon (31)
Chad Cordero (27)
Juan Cruz (30) - Type A, offered arb
Scott Elarton (33)
Keith Foulke (35)
Eric Gagne (33) - Type B, not offered arb
Jason Isringhausen (36) - Type B, not offered arb
Jon Lieber (39)
Aquilino Lopez (34)
Will Ohman (31)
Al Reyes (38)
Dennys Reyes (32) - Type B, offered arb
Ricardo Rincon (39)
Rudy Seanez (40) - Type B, not offered arb
Julian Tavarez (36)
Mike Timlin (43)
Ron Villone (39)
Kip Wells (32)
Matt Wise (33)

Caveat Emperor
02-12-2009, 01:55 PM
I'd still like to see the Reds take a shot on Jim Edmonds.

As a LH bat off the bench or as part of a platoon in LF, he's a pretty good target.

REDREAD
02-12-2009, 02:41 PM

I missed this the first time. I was thinking Eckstein at about 1 million as insurance, but now that Harriston is signed, that's unnecessary. I guess I like Harriston better anyhow.

Obviously Hudson would be a much better choice. Too bad Cast isn't putting his money where his mouth is.

membengal
02-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Hairston def > than Eckstein.

And the amazing thing with regard to money and mouth for Cast? It would not, apparently at this point, take that much to actually get Hudson, looking at what the market did to, in particular, Abreu.

Would he come somewhere at this point for one year and, say, 3 million? He very well might.

WebScorpion
02-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Hairston def > than Eckstein.

And the amazing thing with regard to money and mouth for Cast? It would not, apparently at this point, take that much to actually get Hudson, looking at what the market did to, in particular, Abreu.

Would he come somewhere at this point for one year and, say, 3 million? He very well might. ...and a draft choice. ;)

membengal
02-12-2009, 05:21 PM
So be it.

HokieRed
02-13-2009, 01:12 PM
I'd still like to see the Reds take a shot on Jim Edmonds.

As a LH bat off the bench or as part of a platoon in LF, he's a pretty good target.

I'm all for it. Last year for Edmonds: .883 OPS vs. RHers with .258 BAbip. Much better than Abreu, as I pointed out on another thread. Edmonds-Kepp in LF, CD in CF. WT to wherever.

redsmetz
02-17-2009, 01:21 PM
This report comes from Ken Rosenthal on Fox Sports. I wondered whether such an arrangement could be worked out.

Relief could be on the way for right-hander Juan Cruz, a Type A free agent whose market failed to develop because teams were reluctant to part with a high draft pick for signing a middle-inning reliever.

Major League Baseball, the players' union, the Diamondbacks and Cruz's agents are in discussions to facilitate a sign-and-trade involving Cruz while adhering to the collective-bargaining agreement.

Free agents cannot be traded before June 15 without their consent, but the union will permit Cruz and other Type A players to waive that right in advance, according to Rob Manfred, baseball's executive vice-president of labor relations.

Such a waiver would enable the Diamondbacks to trade Cruz immediately after signing him. The D-backs would need to strike a deal within a set amount of time, probably 48 hours, major-league sources say. If no trade were completed, Cruz would remain a free agent.

"Historically, the union has been reluctant to allow advance waivers on blocking trades," Manfred said. "They've expressed a willingness to allow it. We've given clubs advice on how to operate given the union's willingness."

The increased flexibility in the procedure also could apply to second baseman Orlando Hudson and shortstop Orlando Cabrera, two other Type A free agents who face diminished markets because of draft-pick compensation.

However, the Diamondbacks are not engaged in sign-and-trade discussions with Hudson's agents, and it is not known whether the White Sox are trying to work out such a deal with Cabrera, sources say.

Middle infielders are more coveted than middle-inning relievers; Hudson, in particular, might generate enough late interest to sign with another club despite being attached to a draft pick.

Teams backed off Cruz after the Diamondbacks offered him salary arbitration, ensuring their right to a top pick plus a supplemental pick between the first and second rounds if he signed with another club.

Cruz rejected arbitration, but draft-pick compensation would disappear if he remained on the market after the June draft. Thus, the Diamondbacks are motivated to execute a sign-and-trade, though reaching a trade agreement might not be easy.

While the D-Backs likely recognize that they could not get the value of two high picks for Cruz, they surely would want a meaningful return. They could not ask an interested team to sign off on Cruz's contract; that would be collusion. They also could not include more than $50,000 in the trade under the rules of the collective-bargaining agreement.

The Dodgers and Brewers were among the teams that showed early interest in Cruz, but backed off in part because they did not want to lose a high draft pick. The Diamondbacks likely would not want to trade with the Dodgers, who play in the same division. But other teams are believed to be interested.

The Twins are one of those clubs; La Velle E. Neal of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune was the first to suggest Monday that MLB might be willing to ease the rules of compensation for Type A free agents such as Cruz. Other clubs also could enter the mix once the draft pick became less of an obstacle.

dfs
02-17-2009, 01:56 PM
This report comes from Ken Rosenthal on Fox Sports. I wondered whether such an arrangement could be worked out.
Interesting compromise.

The destination team and the player agree on a contract.

The former teams gets SOMETHING out of the free agent.

In return the free agent doesn't have to wait till June.

REDREAD
02-17-2009, 02:20 PM
So be it.

Yes, I give up the draft choice for Hudson too.. Although I'd try to get him on a multi year deal.

Odds are that Hudson is going to outproduce that second round draft pick we'd give up. I'm assuming the Reds will still finish poorly enough that they only have to give up a round 2 pick.

Emin3mShady07
02-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Eckstein's days at SS appear to be over, but hey, if Jeff Keppinger can play there...

Burke has had enough failures that a minor league deal should be all that is warranted, but he has enough upside and OB Skills that I'd do that in a heartbeat.

I know this is an old post, but Jeff Keppinger is probably better defensively than eck. Sure Eck is gritty and has to make a squealing noise every time he throws to put enough juice on the ball so it only 1 hops the first baseman, but I think Keppinger would be the better player to have.