PDA

View Full Version : Nady for Bailey rumor

OldRed1966
12-30-2008, 03:28 PM
A rumor of this possible trade was on XM Radio yesterday.

http://www.faketeams.com/

Scroll nearly all the way down to the bottom of the page.

Hybrid
12-30-2008, 03:31 PM
If giving up Bailey is all there is to the deal, I say go for it.

flyersbaseball
12-30-2008, 03:31 PM
No way do I do that

OldRed1966
12-30-2008, 03:34 PM
No way do I do that

Why? Bailey is a head case that will never amount to anything. Pat Pacillio had a better career than Bailey ever will.

Edd Roush
12-30-2008, 03:37 PM
I think the Reds need a much bigger bat than Nady to have any hopes for an even .500 season in 2009. It's going to take a Burrell/Abreu/Dunn/Dye to change anything.

With the way the farm system is shaping up, I really do think adding one massive bat like Dye for one season will be much better than trading for an above average bat like Nady for multiple years. Todd Frazier/Yonder Alonso will need some where to play in 2010 and I would rather go for broke next year and pick up a compensation pick then worry about Nady being a piece of the long-term puzzle.

Redus
12-30-2008, 03:41 PM
If giving up Bailey is all there is to the deal, I say go for it.

agreed :)

WildcatFan
12-30-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm in on that one every time. Putting Nady in LF leaves wiggle room for Dickerson to play CF if Taveras shocks us all and doesn't pan out.

Redus
12-30-2008, 03:44 PM
I think the Reds need a much bigger bat than Nady to have any hopes for an even .500 season in 2009. It's going to take a Burrell/Abreu/Dunn/Dye to change anything.

I like Nady better overall as a player than any of these guys..especially in our bandbox.. i bet he could bop 30 and hit .300 while playing decent defense

Blood Red Path
12-30-2008, 04:16 PM
I really do think adding one massive bat like Dye for one season will be much better than trading for an above average bat like Nady for multiple years.

First... Nady is also sitting with 1 year left, so either is likely a one year option.

Second... Dye career - .276/.338/.491/112ops+
Nady career - .280/.335/.458/108ops+

So where is your justification that Dye is a "massive" bat, where nady is merely an above average one??

Seems to me when you consider that Nady may only require trading Bailey, where Dye would surely mean Bailey+; Nady will be several million dollars cheaper for 2008 than Dye; and Nady is younger; that Nady is clearly a much more comparable option to Dye than you are inferring. If we cant get a Dye or Abreu (or a Ethier/Kemp when one becomes available), than Nady is a solid choice.

morande
12-30-2008, 04:42 PM
I don't think we do this, I am willing to deal Homer but we need much more power in left than Nady. not to mention this die hard bearcat can't handle anything Xavier!!

Larkinfan_11
12-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Keep Homer...I think we should let our young pitchers go through one Spring Training/First half of Season together. Work together, push each other. Then if Bailey is still having issues both on and off the field maybe it is time to send him off. Stock may drop but, he is still very young.

ThatPitchIsDunn
12-30-2008, 05:03 PM
I'd prefer Swisher, but looking at this, Nady played first for 36 games two years ago in Pittsburgh - nice having a decent producing LF who can back up Votto when he needs a rest.

Then again, I think Nick at Nite can do the same thing, albeit at a bit higher cost.

fadetoblack2880
12-30-2008, 05:04 PM
bailey for nady = no
bailey for swisher = yes

redsfanmia
12-30-2008, 05:12 PM
I would do it before the Yankees change their mind. Nady would be a great fit.

reds77
12-30-2008, 05:20 PM
I'd pull the trigger on the deal.

Slider
12-30-2008, 05:31 PM
I don't worry the one year contract with Nady. If he performs and fills the void, Jocketty can always sign him to an extension.

The only real question is Bailey's potential or lack thereof.
He is still a very young ballplayer.

All in all...I'd probably do the deal unless Homer has had some sort of miracle makeover this winter.

TheNext44
12-30-2008, 06:15 PM
I would rather have Swisher, but check out these numbers for Nady at GABP:

.385 .422 .729 1.151 8 HR 102 Pa's. Wow.

Now granted, these were against the Reds pitching staff, but still, it appears that Xavier sees the ball real well in GABP.

The report said that the Yankees asked the Reds about Bailey for Nady, so if I were Walt, I would try to hold out for Maloney, Thompson or someone with a lower ceiling that Homer. But if Bailey is what it would take to get Nady, I would do it.

cincyredsone
12-30-2008, 06:21 PM
if the reds could get nady for bailey, they should do it. by all means.

RED VAN HOT
12-30-2008, 06:33 PM
If I read it correctly, Nady is arb eligible this year and a FA after the season. His agent is Boras and the 2010 FA class is projected to be weak, thereby strengthening Boras's hand in any contract negotiations. Thus, I am guessing that the Reds will pay about 5+ million for a 1 year rental. I don't see Nady as the final piece of the puzzle that will make a playoff spot likely in 2009. I would not do the deal.

kentjett
12-30-2008, 06:53 PM
If Nady agrees to a new contract, I'd do it in a heartbeat. We need some veteran leadership on this team. If they take Maloney or Thompson, I'd make the trade w/out agreeing to a new deal. If it is Nady for Bailey w/ no new deal, I wouldn't do it.

reds1869
12-30-2008, 07:33 PM
If Nady agrees to a new contract, I'd do it in a heartbeat. We need some veteran leadership on this team. If they take Maloney or Thompson, I'd make the trade w/out agreeing to a new deal. If it is Nady for Bailey w/ no new deal, I wouldn't do it.

That is exactly how I feel. We don't need to give up a prospect like Bailey for a rental, but if X agrees to a new contract I say go for it.

redsfanmia
12-30-2008, 07:48 PM
That is exactly how I feel. We don't need to give up a prospect like Bailey for a rental, but if X agrees to a new contract I say go for it.

Make the deal and if Nady does not sign a deal then flip him when we are 20 games out in July. Nady would put up big number in Great American Bandbox. I think if Nady stayed healthy all year he could get 115+ rbi and 30 bombs.

RT43035
12-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Nady is a solid right handed bat with run producing capabilities. Albeit only a marginal defensive player, the Red's are very susceptible against even mediocre left handed pitching. Adding a hitter of Nady's quality is paramount in my judgment. Giving up on a head case like Bailey is a small price to pay. Moreover, what better place for a head case than New York??? He'll be committed before season's end.

redsfandan
12-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Only if the yankees throw in a prospect.

Bip Roberts
12-30-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm no trading bailey for 1 year of anyone. maybe if he was 24 or older but not as a 22 year old.

Old NDN
12-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Pull the trigger Walt! Nady would be a definite upgrade over what we got or Burrell, Dye,etc. IMO.

DannyB
12-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Too much to give up for 1 yr of Nady

Griffey012
12-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Make the deal and if Nady does not sign a deal then flip him when we are 20 games out in July. Nady would put up big number in Great American Bandbox. I think if Nady stayed healthy all year he could get 115+ rbi and 30 bombs.

Exactly, what we will be able to flip him for at the deadline will probably be better than what Bailey is to us right now. And worst case scenario we offer him ARB at the end of the year and he would most definitely be a type A player and net us 2 picks.

Hybrid
12-30-2008, 10:25 PM
I just don't see Bailey being a huge part of the Reds future. Maybe I'm giving up on him too soon, but from what I've seen so far, I'm not that impressed.
If the Reds could get a bat like Nady for him, I say do it...the guy will put up numbers at GABP.

Captain Hook
12-30-2008, 11:10 PM
I said in another post that if the Reds throw in another prospect or even Dickerson and the Yanks throw in Swisher I'd deal.Baily at 22 is too much to give up for Nady for just one season.I hate to get rid of Baily but the Reds really need some OF help with power and experience.I'm getting sick of hearing that just because we have some good pitching that we can win playing small ball.I like some of what we have done this off season but a move like this would would make the Reds at least average in all aspects and above average in some areas.

Captain Hook
12-30-2008, 11:25 PM
1st Voto=above average
2nd BP=above average
SS Gonzo/Kepp=average
3B EE=average
C Hennandez=average
LF Bruce=above average
CF Nady=average
RF Swisher=average
Bench WT/JH Jr./Gonzo/Kepp/Harni=above average
SP 1 Volquez=above average
SP 2 Harang=above average
SP 3 Arroyo=average
SP 4 Cueto=above average
SP 5 Ramirez=average
BP Cordero/Burton/Licoln/Rhoades/Bray/Weathers=above average

I think I'm being fair hear.This sounds like a winning team to me.

12-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Nady is a better fit for the type of offense that Jocketty is building, he gets most of his OBP from hits, not walks, unlike Swisher. In small ball, you rely on timely base hits more than getting lots of runners on base.

Edd Roush
12-30-2008, 11:53 PM
First... Nady is also sitting with 1 year left, so either is likely a one year option.

Second... Dye career - .276/.338/.491/112ops+
Nady career - .280/.335/.458/108ops+

So where is your justification that Dye is a "massive" bat, where nady is merely an above average one??

Seems to me when you consider that Nady may only require trading Bailey, where Dye would surely mean Bailey+; Nady will be several million dollars cheaper for 2008 than Dye; and Nady is younger; that Nady is clearly a much more comparable option to Dye than you are inferring. If we cant get a Dye or Abreu (or a Ethier/Kemp when one becomes available), than Nady is a solid choice.

I stand corrected. How does the defense compare?

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
12-31-2008, 12:25 AM
Only if the yankees throw in a prospect.How about Nady, Swisher, Hughes for Homer, Stubbs, Weathers.

forfreelin04
12-31-2008, 01:05 AM
The question in the thread so far has boiled down to would you trade Bailey straight up for Nady. IMO, I would but only if I was supremely confident the Reds could sign him to a three to four year deal after the 09 season. I could see him having a monster year in GABP, then being a Boras client ask for the world (6-8 year huge deal) However, he might also bring big prospects back in return (Bailey caliber) if flipped at the deadline if the Reds have fallen out of contention. (Likely?)

I did some research to back up my assumption Nady is a bonafide REDS KILLA (ala Bill Hall) In fact, Nady was my second target for the REDS coming in after the season ended. (second only to Bay who appears to be unavailable)

Nady (2007 stats in GABP) per FoxSports

HR-3
H-11
Avg: .611 (11 for 18)

Granted this is small sample size, but the dude flat out likes to hit there (who doesn't) He is coming into his hitting prime after 30 and probably has at a minimum 3 years of AS caliber play left. He makes 3 and change per year, which ain't bad considering.

He also played in 118 games last year and still put up 25 dings and 97 RBI's. He does have a nagging hamstring injury which hampered him a bit last year. His numbers took a small dip moving for the first time to the AL, but this is a given.

For all the OBP lovers out there, that has climbed to .357 from 07's .330. His fielding is also not bad. He obviously is not a speedster but he plays a more than passable LF and RF while also playing a nice 1B. He has also played a few games at 3B.

I say pull the trigger Walt! If you've seen the videos of Bailey's windup, you will know that Walt is not only selling low, but also ridding himself of another Clement, Sheets, or Wood in the waiting. Bailey's mechanics can only be described as OUCH! Even if someday Bailey is effective he will be a 6 inning wonder which takes a toll on BP over a 162 game season.

Kingspoint
12-31-2008, 01:55 AM
1st Voto=above average
2nd BP=above average
SS Gonzo/Kepp=average
3B EE=average
C Hennandez=average
LF Bruce=above average
CF Nady=average
RF Swisher=average
SP 3 Arroyo=average
SP 4 Cueto=above average
SP 5 Ramirez=average

Not bad.

Edd Roush
12-31-2008, 02:29 AM
How about Nady, Swisher, Hughes for Homer, Stubbs, Weathers.

Why exactly would the Yankees give away both Nady and Swisher? It seems to me that while they may have excess depth right now they can certainly afford to keep at least one of them on.

Either way I am hoping Manny to the Yankees actually happens so there really is a surplus.

I am starting to really want Nady to the Reds to happen and as stated earlier, I would be willing to deal Bailey for only one year of him. Would he project to be a Type A Free agent like Dye?

Jones1
12-31-2008, 03:26 AM
I would rather have Swisher, but check out these numbers for Nady at GABP:

.385 .422 .729 1.151 8 HR 102 Pa's. Wow.

Now granted, these were against the Reds pitching staff, but still, it appears that Xavier sees the ball real well in GABP.

The report said that the Yankees asked the Reds about Bailey for Nady, so if I were Walt, I would try to hold out for Maloney, Thompson or someone with a lower ceiling that Homer. But if Bailey is what it would take to get Nady, I would do it.

Ive seen Nady at GABP and the guy flat out killed the Reds and rakes there! Nady would be a great fit for the Reds. We've got plenty of young pitching and its time to part ways with Homer I just don't ever see the kid panning out!

Think about this If Nady can give us another season like he had last year and this team is playing to its potential, we will make the playoffs. This move has Jocketty all over it and is the type of moves he made in St. Louis. If this happens I will be very excited.

gilpdawg
12-31-2008, 04:45 AM
Ive seen Nady at GABP and the guy flat out killed the Reds
Well, that would be great if he got to hit against our pitching while on our team. :D He'd probably win the triple crown.

I(heart)Freel
12-31-2008, 09:40 AM
The truth is... the Reds have a surplus of 5th starter candidates for this year and next. I think they like Owings (as do I) for this year but they also know they have some youngsters waiting in Louisville too.

Add it up and it does make Bailey somewhat expendable.

The only reason to keep him is his potential to become a great starter. What are those chances? He is young and certainly has the pedigree. But what are the real chances that he becomes great. I want to make a definite distinction between good and great... because I feel like a team can go buy a good starter any offseason. Just takes money. So Bailey would need to be on the path to greatness to make anyone regret trading him at this stage.

Is he?

Bumstead
12-31-2008, 09:55 AM
Homer Bailey is only 22 years old and has been rushed by the Reds through the minors. He is the only pitching prospect the Reds have with the potential to be a #1 or #2 starter in the majors. Why in the world would the Reds give that up for a 1 year only player that they would have no intention of re-signing in a year they will be 'contending' for 3rd in the division barring a miracle (probably would have to be a Christmas Miracle...:p:)?

Now, if they are trading someone like Roenicke (who is quite a bit older and has much less potential, not to mention is a RP instead of a SP) and a couple of lesser prospects then I have no problem with obtaining Nady. If you want to trade Bailey in a deal for a young SS, say Brignac, then I'm with you, but not for a 30 year-old OF on a 1-year deal (never an all-star by the way and he played 148 games last year not the 118 that was listed prior).

That's my opinion.

Bumstead

Ghosts of 1990
01-01-2009, 03:12 AM
Why? Bailey is a head case that will never amount to anything. Pat Pacillio had a better career than Bailey ever will.

He's 22. You don't know this.

Newman4
01-01-2009, 10:41 AM
He is the only pitching prospect the Reds have with the potential to be a #1 or #2 starter in the majors.

I guess that is somewhat true since Volquez and Cueto are in MLB.

benchrosemorgan
01-01-2009, 12:30 PM
DO IT!! and do it NOW!!!

Emin3mShady07
01-01-2009, 02:11 PM
1st Voto=above average
2nd BP=above average
SS Gonzo/Kepp=average
3B EE=average
C Hennandez=average
LF Bruce=above average
CF Nady=average
RF Swisher=average
SP 3 Arroyo=average
SP 4 Cueto=above average
SP 5 Ramirez=average

this team overall is pretty good, but why would you play Nady in CF when Swisher and Bruce are both more athletic and better on defense than Nady? And and I don't think trading a guy like Bailey is a good idea for Nady with all of the potential Bailey has. The reds balked at trading Bailey for Dye, and Dye is a slightly better hitter than Nady. Career numbers may not suggest this, but look at the three year splits:

Dye:
2006 .315/.385/.622/1.007 151 OPS +
2007 .254/.317/.486/.803 105 OPS +
2008 .292/.344/.541/.885 126 OPS +

Nady:
2006 .280/.337/.453/.790 102 OPS +
2007 .278/.330/.476/.806 107 OPS +
2008 .305/.357/.510/.867 128 OPS +

2007 was all BABIP for Dye as he had a .268 BABIP with a 19.0 LD% and as one would expect, he bounced right back in 08. Nady, judging by OPS +, was better than Dye in 2008 but Dye had a higher wOBA at .376 to .374. However, this is well above Nady's career wOBA of .342. So maybe Nady is "coming into his own" like Dye did a few years ago, but I really don't think he will repeat his 08 performance. If the Reds really wanted to win this year in 2009, I would trade for Bailey for Dye as opposed to nady because he is much more of a sure thing where Nady is a wild card. The biggest difference is cost between the two players, but I would bet Nady gets a decent amount in arb after his season last year, but I still wouldn't trade Bailey for either of them because they are both one year fixes where alonso would be ready for 2010 and I think Homer Bailey would be more valuable to the reds in 2010 and 2011 and beyond then Dye or Nady would be to the reds in 2009.

indyredleg
01-01-2009, 03:21 PM
If the Reds can get Nady for Homer I think you almost have to do it.

Blood Red Path
01-01-2009, 03:54 PM
I still wouldn't trade Bailey for either of them because they are both one year fixes where alonso would be ready for 2010 and I think Homer Bailey would be more valuable to the reds in 2010 and 2011 and beyond then Dye or Nady would be to the reds in 2009.

Alot of what you are saying here is valid and understandable, but there is still a persisting problem in this case... We all agree Alonso will be able to be a solid major league hitter very soon; however, the drawback continues to be- How can we get both him and Votto on the field and in the line-up together??

As long as the reds are sticking to their guns about a refusal to move Votto to the outfield(which if it is a possibility to happen, we should see the experiments start THIS YEAR in spring training) , with Joey at 1B, there is no where for Yonder to play. Yonder, from what I've seen and read, only projects as a 1B with no potential to feild any other position. Once the time comes it seems that one of the two will need to be traded to upgrade somewhere else on the field. The reds surely know this, but at this point it is too early to know which player is the right one to keep.

As for Bailey, if he plays similarly this season to the last year and a half, his value as a prospect becomes severely limited, where as now, he still has the value for us to get a middle-of-the-line-up hitter to help us have a chance at being competitive. And, even it is for just this season, that buys us a little time until we can figure out when our prospects will be ready.

ChatterRed
01-01-2009, 03:58 PM
It's a no-brainer deal.

BEETTLEBUG
01-02-2009, 03:58 AM
I ask this before but don't know where at but what would it take to get andrew jones if dodgers would pickup some of salary?ya'll say he has lost it but he only had one bad year as far as games played. I would take 26,41,& 51 hr and 94,129,128 rbi last three years prior to 2008

OldRed1966
01-02-2009, 06:16 AM
He's 22. You don't know this.

Really? Thanks for the news flash. Nobody knows anything when it comes to the future of any baseball player. All we can do is predict and speculate.

Blood Red Path
01-02-2009, 09:06 AM
I ask this before but don't know where at but what would it take to get andrew jones if dodgers would pickup some of salary?ya'll say he has lost it but he only had one bad year as far as games played. I would take 26,41,& 51 hr and 94,129,128 rbi last three years prior to 2008

True that his '07 power numbers were 26hr/94rbi...

But that is with a line of .222/.311/.413/88ops+

and as for '08 in 238 PA (not ideal sample size, but still telling)...

.158/.256/.249/34ops+/3 hr/14 rbi/76 k

not the kind of numbers this team could afford to even flirt with, no matter what we're paying.

Not to mention that this is exactly what the Dodgers want, someone to take Andruw or Pierre off their hands, that way an OF can be signed without creating a very expensive logjam that could force them to explore trading one of their young ML OF(Ethier or Kemp) in an attempt to bolster their pitching staff after likely losing Lowe and Penny. The reds would be in a prime position to possibly grab one of those guys, but eliminate that possibilty if they make a mistake move for Jones. It would be wise of the reds to let the dodgers situation play itself out over the next couple months.

Emin3mShady07
01-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Trading for Jones would be a waste of resources. If the reds wanted to spend that kind of money, it would honestly be better to sign pat burrell or adam dunn, even though dunn most likely would not come back, or go way over the top and go for manny.

Va Red Fan
01-02-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm for adding Nady for Bailey. We have at least two starters that we are developing, so to lose a potential third is not that big of a deal. I want to see Bailey have success, but I doubt it at this point.

Gunner44
01-02-2009, 04:18 PM
The only way I take Jones is if the Dodgers pay 2/3 of his sallary for a low level A prospect. I think there is still something in Andrews tank and I think he wants to prove that, so he could be in for a big turn around. Although i still think its a huge risk.

I am in favor though of trading Bailey for Nady.

Herb Tarlek
01-04-2009, 05:07 AM
Nady would be a good fit for the Reds. He projects well in that stadium and he does it at a reasonable salary.

On the other hand, while Bailey has struggled and his attitude is questionable, is it really prudent to give up on a young pitcher who projected as the top pitching prospect in baseball not so long ago?

It's a rather large gamble, especially if Nady can't be signed to an extension beyond 2009.

timothy1
01-18-2009, 04:49 PM
I wouldn't pull the trigger on the deal. Bailey is still a work in progress... he would have won a couple games (and just a couple unfortunately) if the closing pitcher had done their job.

redsfanmia
01-18-2009, 05:05 PM
A friend of mine ran into Homer at a Bow Hunting show and he went up to him and introduced himself and said he was a big Reds fan and Homer's reply was "I'm sorry".

timothy1
01-18-2009, 05:10 PM
LOL that's funny actually... My reply would have been... "Yeah, no World Series since 1990."

ChatterRed
01-18-2009, 07:02 PM
A friend of mine ran into Homer at a Bow Hunting show and he went up to him and introduced himself and said he was a big Reds fan and Homer's reply was "I'm sorry".

Makes me wonder if Bailey is tanking his numbers to force a trade, thinking it will lead to a quicker promotion to the Big Leagues?

Stephenk29
01-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Makes me wonder if Bailey is tanking his numbers to force a trade, thinking it will lead to a quicker promotion to the Big Leagues?

Terrible teams with no #5 starter would have the best possibility for promotions. I can't really see that.

schmidty622
01-18-2009, 08:05 PM
i think Bailey should be a Reliever.

redsfandan
01-18-2009, 08:38 PM

Or a trade to a playoff team. Or to a favorite team. Or to be closer to home. ... Who knows. Maybe it's nothing. Maybe the Reds don't want to give up on him just yet so instead the yanks want something like Thompson and another prospect for one season of Nady and the Reds want to wait to see who will be cheaper in the end: Nady ($ + prospects) or Abreu (more $ but no prospects).

It's possible that it may be down to one of those two players for one year with the idea that our outfield will be ok in 2010 between the players we already have in house: Bruce, Dickerson, Taveras, Votto (displaced by Alonso), Stubbs, Dorn, and Frazier (if he doesn't stay in the infield). One year for a veteran in '09 would make sense since the 3-6 hitters in 2010 could be Votto/Bruce/Alonso/Frazier or EE which could be a pretty strong, young, and relatively inexpensive middle of the lineup. Plus we'll need the money that a veteran would cost to lock up Bruce and maybe Votto to long term deals.

roby
01-19-2009, 12:12 AM

Hopefully Bailey was commenting/appologizing for his own crummy play, and not saying he was sorry about the reds in general.

UPRedsFan
01-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Maybe it's his immaturity and he'll grow out of it, but that lack of professionalism is pretty distasteful. I wouldn't be upset if Walt trades him for something. If it's the only way to get the Yankees to budge, trading Homer for 1 year of Nady might be ok.

TheBigLebowski
01-19-2009, 10:48 AM
I can hardly blame the guy for resenting the franchise and the fans. If I was a 22 year old rookie pitcher getting booed off the mound on my home field, I don't think I'd like it too much either.

REDblooded
01-19-2009, 03:23 PM
I can hardly blame the guy for resenting the franchise and the fans. If I was a 22 year old rookie pitcher getting booed off the mound on my home field, I don't think I'd like it too much either.

:beerme: