PDA

View Full Version : Isn't that the most ugliest football field ever?

RBA
12-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Boise State's field. Blue? You gotta be kidding me.

nate
12-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Boise State's field. Blue? You gotta be kidding me.

My neighbor has a framed piece of their old turf in his man cave.

Unassisted
12-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Marketing, baby. You always know what field you're seeing when you see highlights of a game played on that blue field.

The school should sell the naming rights to a product with "Blue" in its name. Labatt's Blue Field? Blue Bunny Dairy Field?

I like it.

camisadelgolf
12-30-2008, 11:17 PM
When I am able to decide on a field while playing NCCA Football, I always go for Boise State's field.

Bip Roberts
12-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Steelers field is pretty terrible

remdog
12-30-2008, 11:26 PM
Since I like the color blue I'm not sure I would call it ugly. It's more like an unexpected jolt to your senses. Sort of like playing tennis on a blue tennis court (which has happened a few times to me). Something just doesn't seem right and things appear to be somehow 'distorted'.

Rem

camisadelgolf
12-31-2008, 12:22 AM

That's what I was thinking of as soon as I saw the thread.

macro
12-31-2008, 12:47 AM

What's bad about the Steelers field? I apparently haven't been paying attention.

Heath
12-31-2008, 09:16 AM
When I am able to decide on a field while playing NCCA Football, I always go for Boise State's field.

...and add snow. Lots of it.

improbus
12-31-2008, 09:43 AM
What's bad about the Steelers field? I apparently haven't been paying attention.
It is like watching a bad HS field. The problem is that they don't give the field time to recover. It is home to the Steelers, Pitt, and a ton of HS games. The field is always falling apart and is slow, which hurts a speedy Pittsburgh team this season.
As far as the blue turf, I'm cool with it, whatever. But, it gives off a weird glare on HDTV's that make it hard to watch. So in that capacity, it is annoying. One question though, where do you get blue turf? Did they paint it? Does a company make blue turf? I need answers...

Redhook
12-31-2008, 09:51 AM
I would classify Boise State's field as painful, not ugly. It hurts my eyes just watching a game played on that field.

camisadelgolf
12-31-2008, 10:00 AM

Of course. Max wind, too.

Bip Roberts
12-31-2008, 10:05 AM

its just a mess and looks like they are playing in a field that used to be used for truck and tractor pulls

camisadelgolf
12-31-2008, 10:36 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7DTNEa2E7w

macro
12-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Oh, okay. I thought you might be referring to the design or paint job on the field rather than the condition. That video was pretty funny. Is there a chance that they keep the field in that shape intentionally? Why doesn't the league step in?

improbus
12-31-2008, 12:57 PM
Oh, okay. I thought you might be referring to the design or paint job on the field rather than the condition. That video was pretty funny. Is there a chance that they keep the field in that shape intentionally? Why doesn't the league step in?

You mean like the Cubs keeping the infield grass long for years? Well...it may have helped them when they were a power running team with Bettis, but it sure doesn't help them now. They have a speedy RB (Parker), a speedy WR (Holmes), and a fast defense. So, I think it hurts more than helps.

It is almost as bad as the old grass a PBS or the "grass" at old Cleveland Municipal Stadium.
http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/past/images/cleve08950.jpg

Bip Roberts
12-31-2008, 01:05 PM
It probably helps them at home because otehr teams dont get used to it

camisadelgolf
12-31-2008, 01:27 PM

They have supposedly made several attempts at improving the field. I could be wrong, but I believe the league has made an effort to step in, but I think it's kind of one of those 'there's not much we can do' situations.

cumberlandreds
12-31-2008, 02:16 PM
The first time I saw that blue field (about 10 years ago) I honestly thought something was wrong with my TV. I kept trying to adjust the color but nothing was working. The announcers finally mentioned something about the blue field and I wished they had told me earlier.:p:

Yachtzee
01-01-2009, 01:18 PM
They have supposedly made several attempts at improving the field. I could be wrong, but I believe the league has made an effort to step in, but I think it's kind of one of those 'there's not much we can do' situations.

Didn't stop them from pushing Mike Brown to put in field turf. I think the only difference is the name "Rooney." Cleveland is bad too, but nowhere near as bad as Pittsburgh, which makes the old field at PBS look nice. I'm just waiting for Roethlisberger or Polamalu to shred their knee before the Steelers take action.

SteelSD
01-02-2009, 09:19 PM

That video is from one of the strangest football games I've ever seen. I'm going off memory as to the cause, but IIRC, the field (which sucks anyway late in the year) was completely torn up by high school football. So the Steelers, rather than a hasty re-sodding, actually put new sod OVER the old field. But then it rained quite a bit. The water couldn't get through the lower layer of sod to the drainage system so it just sat there and completely ruined the top layer as well, turning it into a marsh.

Don't get me wrong. The turf at Heinz field sucks. There are always complaints. But footballs sticking like lawn darts aren't a normal occurrence. ;)

Highlifeman21
01-03-2009, 10:32 PM

I enjoyed in the most recent version of NCAA Football where the snow accumulates during the game.

I would often pick the smurf turf @ Boise, put on the snow, and by Halftime I couldn't see the field anymore.

Just awesome in my book.

morande
01-03-2009, 11:33 PM
When I see Boises field I instantly think Mid Major football

improbus
01-04-2009, 08:59 AM
When I see Boises field I instantly think Mid Major football

It is a little gimmicky isn't it.