Krusty
12-31-2008, 01:41 PM
Sources: DeRosa headed to Indians
ESPN.com news services

Updated: December 31, 2008, 1:32 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
Mark DeRosa, who had been rumored to be a part of three- and four-team scenarios in the Jake Peavy trade talks is finally headed out of Chicago -- but not in a deal for the San Diego Padres' ace.

DeRosa has been traded to the Cleveland Indians for three players, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

DeRosa hit 21 home runs and drove in 87 runs for the Cubs last season, appearing in 149 games. He played 97 games at second base.

He will be 34 when the 2009 season begins.

Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine

jesusfan
12-31-2008, 01:50 PM
12:44pm: Levine says the three minor league pitchers coming to Chicago are Jeff Stevens, Chris Archer, and John Gobb.

That would've been a wonderful pick-up.... oh well, another bites the dust...

redsmetz
12-31-2008, 02:04 PM
That's the same Jeff Stevens we sent to Cleveland as the BTBNL for Brandon Phillips, isn't it?

Bill
12-31-2008, 02:17 PM
Stevens turned out to be quite a good bullpen prospect.

Jpup
12-31-2008, 02:50 PM
It's a salary dump because Milton Bradley will be playing right field for the Cubs. They are about to unload Marquis on the Rox.

Spitball
12-31-2008, 03:28 PM
It makes me wonder about Andy Marte's future with the Tribe. If Peralta is moved to third, Cabrera to short, DeRosa to second, then Marte is out of their plans and out of options.

Could he be another Brandon Phillips? He has not hit much, but I understand he looked much improved at third base last season.

westofyou
12-31-2008, 03:50 PM
Cubs sign Aaron Miles for 4.9 for 2 years

Krusty
12-31-2008, 04:46 PM
According to XM radio, there was talk that the Cubs could be setting themselves up for another move to acquire second baseman Brain Roberts from the Orioles.

Big Klu
12-31-2008, 05:04 PM
It makes me wonder about Andy Marte's future with the Tribe. If Peralta is moved to third, Cabrera to short, DeRosa to second, then Marte is out of their plans and out of options.

Could he be another Brandon Phillips? He has not hit much, but I understand he looked much improved at third base last season.

Andy Marte doesn't have a future in Cleveland. Folks in NE Ohio are ready to cut bait with him.

Spitball
12-31-2008, 08:44 PM
Andy Marte doesn't have a future in Cleveland. Folks in NE Ohio are ready to cut bait with him.

I know there is not a truly logistical reason to compare the Brandon Phillips' situation to Andy Marte's, but it might be wise to check the price tag on the guy. The Indians don't want him and maybe he can develop his promise in another organization as did Phillips.

Joseph
12-31-2008, 09:52 PM
I know there is not a truly logistical reason to compare the Brandon Phillips' situation to Andy Marte's, but it might be wise to check the price tag on the guy. The Indians don't want him and maybe he can develop his promise in another organization as did Phillips.

You have to wonder if they'd resist dealing him to us, all things being equal, because of BPhil

*BaseClogger*
01-01-2009, 09:34 PM
You have to wonder if they'd resist dealing him to us, all things being equal, because of BPhil

I don't see the Indians as the kind of organization to worry about that. If they are going to trade him, why would they worry about him florishing on the Reds in the NL?

*BaseClogger*
01-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Cubs sign Aaron Miles for 4.9 for 2 years

That's wonderful news for the rest of the NL Central...

REDREAD
01-01-2009, 10:31 PM
More Cub's rumor:

Geovany Soto's backup: Paul Bako, a left-handed hitter, is expected to sign a one-year deal for about $500,000. The Cubs don't want a No. 2 catcher who costs much or expects to play a lot. Bako certainly fills the bill.

Now I really fear the cubs. :)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-01-cubs-chicagojan01,0,3922995.story