PDA

View Full Version : Cubs making moves

redsfandan
12-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Cubs Sign Aaron Miles
By Tim Dierkes [December 31 at 11:18am CST]
According to the Chicago Sun-Times, the Cubs signed infielder Aaron Miles to a two-year deal worth $4.9MM. The deal was first reported by ESPN Radio's Bruce Levine. Speculation is that the move could allow the Cubs to trade Mark DeRosa.

Miles, 32, hit .317/.355/.398 in 408 plate appearances for the Cardinals this year while playing all around the diamond. Miles was one of the top free agent bargains of 2008 at $1.6MM.

DeRosa Traded To Indians
By Tim Dierkes [December 31 at 12:44pm CST]
12:44pm: Levine says the three minor league pitchers coming to Chicago for DeRosa are Jeff Stevens, Chris Archer, and John Gaub. The move feels like a salary dump - of a player whose production was worth $19.4MM this year.

A note from Bruce Miles: the Cubs' ownership situation will have to be settled before the Cubs are able to complete a Peavy trade. Levine says the same in his post.

12:25pm: Levine and Buster Olney are saying it's a done deal - DeRosa to the Tribe for three minor league pitchers. The Cubs have trimmed roughly $9MM from the 2009 payroll with their recent moves. Coming in: $3.5MM for Luis Vizcaino (plus another million sent in salary relief) and $2.2MM for Aaron Miles. Going out: $5.5MM for DeRosa and $9.875MM for Jason Marquis.

11:27am: According to Bruce Levine of ESPN Radio, the Indians are getting close to a deal for Mark DeRosa that would send two or three young pitchers to the Cubs. At least, that statement was attributed to him in the station's recent SportsCenter update. Levine recently scooped the Cubs' signing of Aaron Miles.

In his blog, Levine suggests a DeRosa match with Cleveland but does not say a deal is close. Levine considers the Cubs' Milton Bradley signing "a done deal" and says they've back in the mix for Jake Peavy.

UPRedsFan
12-31-2008, 04:44 PM
I think we're playing for the wild card this year if they get Bradley.

I know we're playing for the wild card this year if Peavy's going to Chi.

TheNext44
12-31-2008, 04:52 PM
I don't understand these from a Cub's point of view. DeRosa is worth every penny of his contract, and is much, much better than Miles, at least $3M more. And this is done to save money to spend on Milton Bradley? He is a huge risk and he might not be any more productive than DeRosa would have been.

I am glad that they are weakening their team, however. They don't look that dominant anymore.

texasdave
12-31-2008, 07:28 PM
If they sign Milton Bradley are they out of the Adam Dunn market?

WillRich
12-31-2008, 07:59 PM
According to mlbtraderumors.com they traded Derosa and are going after Brian Roberts.

Emin3mShady07
12-31-2008, 08:43 PM
According to mlbtraderumors.com they traded Derosa and are going after Brian Roberts.

If they get Roberts, I wouldn't think they would have enough prospects left to go after someone like Peavy. That is also kind of strange they would sign Aaron Miles to a two year contract if they wanted to go after Roberts, unless miles is just a safety fallback or something.

Newman4
12-31-2008, 11:37 PM
Anyone now anything about the return they got? Derosa is a pretty decent baseball player. I have a prediction...if the Cubs fail to get Peavy then they don't win the division.

I(heart)Freel
01-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Yea, the Miles signing seems to contradict true interest in Roberts.

If anything I view the DeRosa and Marquis moves as harbingers of a Peavy deal fo' sure.

dougflynn23
01-03-2009, 02:25 AM
:confused: Milton Bradley to an NL team is a huge roll of the dice. He only played a handful of games in the field in 2008, and still couldn't get through the season. 2/3 of your outfield manned by Bradley and Soriano is a disater waiting to happen. If the Cubs wanted to dump salary to make a big name acquisition they would have been better off playing Reed Johnson in LF and getting Jake Peavy.

Mark DeRosa was arguably the Cubs MVP last season. He will be sorely missed.

RED VAN HOT
01-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Yea, the Miles signing seems to contradict true interest in Roberts.

That seems correct on the surface. Suppose, however, that the Orioles were asking for a 2B plus prospects for Roberts. The Cubs were in the middle of the pack in SBs. Theriot and Soriano were their leaders. SB's come primarily from CF, SS, 2B, and then the corner OF. DeRosa is not going to provide SB's. Although he is a good baseball player, he is without a true natural position. He lacks the speed to be a top 2B. The Cubs probably traded him at peak value. Miles is no improvement. Roberts, however, led ML 2B in SB's. He would provide a huge improvement. Miles and prospects for Roberts is the deal I fear.

In a similar vein, I don't think most of the RZ appreciates the Taveras trade. The Reds were right below the Cubs in SB's. The Reds are getting their 2B contribution, but little else. They are not going to get any SB's from SS with Gonzalez and Keppinger. In Taveras they are adding a CF that leads the MLB in SB's. It also highlights the importance of resigning Hairston. He adds speed as either a backup SS or LF.

benchrosemorgan
01-03-2009, 10:29 PM
This would be the worst place for Bradley to go!! I see a Billy Martin Reggie Jackson dugout fight in the cubs future!!!