PDA

View Full Version : DVD burning help

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-31-2008, 09:20 PM
Ok, I know just enough about computers to be dangerous but here's the deal..I don't know if I have a DVD burner on my computer. It plays DVD movies but I dont know if I can burn a DVD....My wife got me an Ipod Nano for Christmas and I purchased a couple of old Star Trek episodes. I would like to burn these episodes onto a DVD from my computer....I have a Dell Dimension DIMC521 computer that is approx. 3 years old and out of warranty. Dell wants to charge me for a simple question...I have tried two nights in a row now using both DVD-R and DVD+R blank DVDs and it looks like it is burning but there is nothing on it when I hit play. I went thru the computer paperwork that came with it but nothing tells me one way or the other. I dont know if I am using the wrong kind of DVD or I simply dont have a burner. Help/ Suggestions???? Thanks :)

dougdirt
12-31-2008, 09:41 PM
Try to go to your control panel, then system. Go to the hardware tab. Then click on device manager. Open the 'DVD/CD Rom Drives'. I have both a DVD ROM which plays CD/DVDs and a DVD Burner which burns both DVD's and CD's. My ROM is clearly labeled as such. The Burner is listed as an RW. If your burner isn't listed as a DVD RW, just find the maker (should be listed here as well as the model number) and google search it to see its capabilities.

If it does indeed burn DVDs, and my first hunch is that it doesn't, you can't just burn the file like you would a CD. But first figure out if it burns them. If it does, come back and I am sure some of us can help from there.

SteelSD
12-31-2008, 10:26 PM
Ok, I know just enough about computers to be dangerous but here's the deal..I don't know if I have a DVD burner on my computer. It plays DVD movies but I dont know if I can burn a DVD....My wife got me an Ipod Nano for Christmas and I purchased a couple of old Star Trek episodes. I would like to burn these episodes onto a DVD from my computer....I have a Dell Dimension DIMC521 computer that is approx. 3 years old and out of warranty. Dell wants to charge me for a simple question...I have tried two nights in a row now using both DVD-R and DVD+R blank DVDs and it looks like it is burning but there is nothing on it when I hit play. I went thru the computer paperwork that came with it but nothing tells me one way or the other. I dont know if I am using the wrong kind of DVD or I simply dont have a burner. Help/ Suggestions???? Thanks :)

Your problem might be that the files can't be burned to DVD as anything but data backup to be used for transfer from PC to PC. Basically, the DRM restrictions won't allow you to burn it to a DVD and then play it as a regular DVD movie. To confirm the presence of data on the DVD's you burned, I'd suggest browsing the DVD's via your computer to see if any files exist at all.

Unless you've purchased the rights to burn those files to DVD, I believe the only way you'll be able to get those burned as a regular DVD would be to remove the DRM protection for the files. Problem is that's not exactly legal.

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-31-2008, 10:30 PM
OK, Doug...under DVD/CD-ROM drives it says

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H553A

I tried burning last night using DVD+R(it didnt have the W)--should I retry using DVD+RW or does it sound like I just dont have a burner?? Thanks for any info.

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-31-2008, 10:42 PM
I think I just found my answer-looks like Steel was right..thanks all for the info

http://www.medialoper.com/hot-topics/itunes/how-can-i-burn-itunes-videos-to-dvd/

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-31-2008, 11:32 PM
Can I burn iTunes Store Videos to DVD?
You can save your iTunes Store movies to data DVDs for backup purposes (if you have a supported DVD burner), but these DVDs will not play in a DVD player.

Guess I should've looked at iTunes website to begin with.

SteelSD
01-01-2009, 12:25 AM
Can I burn iTunes Store Videos to DVD?
You can save your iTunes Store movies to data DVDs for backup purposes (if you have a supported DVD burner), but these DVDs will not play in a DVD player.

Guess I should've looked at iTunes website to begin with.

Well, at least you didn't have to pay Dell for an answer to a question they couldn't provide. :)

GAC
01-01-2009, 06:04 AM
Best DVD burning software ever. Very simple to use. I've been using it for almost 3 years. You can download a free 21 day trial before purchasing. It then cost a one time purchase of around $60.

www.slysoft.com

If anyone wants more info then please feel free to PM me.