PDA

View Full Version : Give me the lowdown on the Wii

MWM
01-01-2009, 12:53 PM
OK, so I won all three of my fantasty football leagues (a total fluke and will never happen again), so I've got about $700 coming my way. I have 3 kids at home (12, 8, and 6) and they love playing the Wii at friends' houses. So I'm thinking of getting one because I hear they're a lot of fun for everyone in the family. I've been anti-video game as I don't want my kids wanting to do nothing but play. We also limit their TV to 30 minutes a day, with a little more on the weekends, but not much. It's worked wonders as my kids all love to read and read more than any other kid their age that we know.

But I keep hearing of families that enjoy the Wii together, so I think I might relent and pick one up.

I've never played on a Wii. Heck, I've never even seen one. If anyone here can educate me on the Wii - what I should buy, what I shouldn't buy, the best way to get a good deal, etc... - that would be greatly appreciated by me. Thanks.

camisadelgolf
01-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Even for people who have never played video games before, there is a lot to enjoy. The tutorials are great, and the game play for a lot of games is very simple. My parents are in their 50s, and they play Wii almost every night despite having no one else in the house to play with. Neither one of them enjoy any other gaming systems, though. To be honest with you, knowing that my parents enjoy it almost motivates me to not like Wii, but even I have to admit that it's a great system.

Are there downsides? Well, yeah, of course. It's not exactly cheap, and it won't take long at all for a better system to come out. However, if you don't mind spending a few hundred dollars for something that would probably give, in the case of your family, a few hours of entertainment per week, then I think it's worth it. For me, without a question, there isn't a more family-friendly gaming system than the Wii. That doesn't necessarily mean that everyone would enjoy it, though. I just don't know anyone who doesn't enjoy it.

nate
01-01-2009, 01:27 PM
For starters, just get the Wii and enough Wiimotes (controllers) for everyone (a maximum of 4). I recommend getting one of those charging station dealios to keep them charged up. The game that comes with the Wii, "WiiSports" is still probably the number 1 game played at Chez Nate.

Wiisports is really an excellent family game in addition to being fun at a grownup party. I'll generally rent new games to see if I like them enough to buy. The Tiger Woods gold series is pretty good, Madden football is a little less complex and MarioKart is well worth trying.

Mrs. Nate really likes the WiiFit. I like it too...except when it tells me my WiiFit age is >60.

MWM
01-01-2009, 01:48 PM
However, if you don't mind spending a few hundred dollars for something that would probably give, in the case of your family, a few hours of entertainment per week, then I think it's worth it.

Well, I live in Minnesota and it's the winter time. My kids need SOMETHING. And my wife need an outlet on the weekends without telling them to go watch TV.

MWM
01-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks, Nate. My wife's BFF just got a Wii fit and my wife really wants one. So that might have to be a must.

dougdirt
01-01-2009, 01:49 PM
The thing that makes Wii even more fun is if you buy the sports pack to use with the Wii remotes. You get mock tennis rackets, golf club, baseball bat... it makes the gameplay even more realistic. They also sell a steering wheel for games like Mario Kart that you place your remote into.

Falls City Beer
01-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Your kids are perfect "Wii-age" kids. Get it. It's a lot of fun.

redsfanmia
01-01-2009, 02:13 PM
I think it is impossible to not have fun playing the Wii. Its wonderful but like Nate said the Wii fitness will give you a dose of reality, I am probably 25lbs overweight and it made my Mii really large and told me I was obese, the wife thought it was funny until it told her she was overweight.

camisadelgolf
01-01-2009, 02:19 PM
That's another thing that tends to get over-looked. People tend to connotate that video games equal inactive and lazy, but with a lot of the games, you can get a pretty good workout going.

Emin3mShady07
01-01-2009, 02:30 PM
My aunt bought the Wii a few months ago and she lives in Indiana so I rarely get to visit her, but when I do, I really love playing the Wii and my aunt enjoys it too. She only has two games, wii sports and wii fit, but I love playing them both. My younger brother and I are extremely competitive so we have a lot of fun challenging each other in boxing and wii fit fitness challenges. I really like the wii because I am trying to stay in shape for the baseball season, so I get to play a video game and not feel like a total couch potato at the same time. It's really addicting, but at least there is some physical activity like others have mentioned previously.

RichRed
01-01-2009, 03:05 PM
My 71-year-old mom kicked my butt in Wii bowling. Definitely fun for the whole family.

Johnny Footstool
01-01-2009, 03:21 PM
You can get Competitive Eating for the Wii, too.

dougdirt
01-01-2009, 03:44 PM
My 71-year-old mom kicked my butt in Wii bowling. Definitely fun for the whole family.

http://www.redsminorleagues.com/images/Image009.jpg

I love Wii bowling.

RosieRed
01-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Another game I really like on the Wii is Boom Blox. Makes good use of the Wii technology, and it's appropriate for any age really. Consists of building things, tearing things down, Jenga-like games, throwing things, knocking things over, etc. Lots of fun.

redsfanmia
01-01-2009, 04:25 PM
http://www.redsminorleagues.com/images/Image009.jpg

I love Wii bowling.

You are the man!!!!! I am a bigger fan of tennis I am over 2200 on the scale.

Tyler Durden
01-01-2009, 05:19 PM
The Wii is not designed with the hardcore gamer in mind, but it's definitely a good family system. I have both a Wii and an XBox 360. I play the 360 a lot more than the Wii, but my fiancée absolutely loves the wii. She got really into Mario Galaxy, and I downloaded the Wii Ware game Tetris party, which she has been addicted to. It's nice because you can play against other people online in Tetris, and she has really enjoyed that. World of Goo (another Wii Ware game) has been fun, I just got that a few days ago.

We rarely play Wii Sports anymore (i like my games to have more depth), but WiiFit should be arriving tomorrow, which should entertain us. I've also gotten a decent amount of gameplay out of Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros, although the usage of those fell off after a few weeks... They're just a lot more fun with a group of people, and I'm not in college anymore with multiple friends readily available.

For your situation, i'd definitely recommend the Wii. Sounds like you have a built in party, with five people in your household. You should get a lot of value out of a lot of the multi-player games.

Side note regarding the Wii Fit... Technology is friggin' amazing. I have been watching for it to be in stock on Amazon for awhile, not wanting to pay the $150 that people are asking on the secondary market. I noticed that Amazon offers text alerts for when they get an item in stock, so I signed up for that. Digging in deeper, I saw that you can configure your text settings so that when they text message you, you can just respond to it and tell them to buy it, without having to actually be anywhere near a computer. So that's basically what happened on Tuesday!

dougdirt
01-01-2009, 06:25 PM
You are the man!!!!! I am a bigger fan of tennis I am over 2200 on the scale.

I wish there was a way to play singles in tennis. Create it so you use the nunchuck for your player movement and then the remote for the swing. The doubles creates issues.

I love the golf game though. I play without using practice swings, it keeps things a challenge. I really need to get my own Wii. Playing at friends houses just isn't happening enough.

01-02-2009, 01:32 AM
I wish there was a way to play singles in tennis. Create it so you use the nunchuck for your player movement and then the remote for the swing. The doubles creates issues.

I love the golf game though. I play without using practice swings, it keeps things a challenge. I really need to get my own Wii. Playing at friends houses just isn't happening enough.

Have you noticed on tennis, when playing by yourself, you can change the Wii's players to the same Mii you are using, allowing you to control both sides? If you haven't tried it, do!

We bought a remote package that came with either WiiSports or Wii Play, forget which.

You have to get rechargeable batteries or a dock. I got Sanyo Eyeloop batteries. They are great. Also bought a Nyko wireless sensor bar- I like it better.

GAC
01-02-2009, 04:47 AM
We've had a Wii for two years. I'm an old fart and not video game savvy. When I was younger I had an Atari 2600 and then a 5200. We're talking Ms Pacman, Joust, Galaga, those types of games that are pretty simple overall.

The Wii is a blast, and especially for family fun. The bowling game that comes with the system is excellent. I had a sore arm for a week though.

I bought Game Party 2 a couple weeks ago that has outdoor yard games like Jarts, horseshoes, corn hole, and numerous others. Those are the types of games (simple to do) that are more up my alley. And they are fun!

Mike.... the 08 MLB game is pretty good, and I think you would enjoy it.

Mario Kart is also fun. You can pick up the steering wheels for about $10/piece (the game comes with one), so that you can all race at the same time in competition.

You won't regret getting one. But you might be sore due to overplay and the physical activity involved. ;)

reds1869
01-02-2009, 09:54 AM
My parents (both of whom are approaching retirement) have never played video games and absolutely love their Wii. We have had one since launch and while it is my second choice console I still love it. My wife is obsessed with Animal Corssing: City Folk, so I stick mostly to the PS3. But any baseball fan would love, and I mean love MLB Power Pros 08. It is an American port of Pro Yakyu Spirits 5 from Japan and is unlike any baseball game you have ever played. The characters are all done in simplistic anime style and the game itself is very anime-like. Underneath the graphics lies perhaps the most realistic baseball simulation ever to hit a console. Pitch counts, stats, player tendencies, everything is dead on. On top of that, they get the little things right...smokestacks for Ks and homeruns at GABP, Bernie slides at Miller Park, Ichiro does his batting routine, etc. It really is a blast.

Dom Heffner
01-02-2009, 11:23 AM
The bowling is worth it alone. I'd buy it just for that.

I have 2 Sony PS3's, and use them more for Blu-Ray players than anything. I like sport games, not much else, and just haven't had the time to play recently, though my better half kicks my butt in Tiger Wood's gold whenever we play.

Blimpie
01-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Santa brought a Wii to our house this year... Echoing everything that has been said about WiiSports, but I would like to suggest another game that would be good for all ages:

http://raymanzone.us.ubi.com/ravingrabbids/index.html

It's called Rayman Raving Rabbids..and it is pretty entertaining IMO.

SeeinRed
01-02-2009, 11:54 AM
The best thing I did was pay 30 bucks for a pair of these (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8891041&st=Wii+Steering+Wheel&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1217029958050) for Mario Kart. They make it much easier to drive and they use suction cups to stick to solid surface. I love the Wii and it is definately a family/party system.

Tyler Durden
01-02-2009, 11:58 AM
I just use the nunchuk and wii-mote for Mario Kart... I didn't like how the steering wheel worked, and the analog control on the nunchuck was just like the older games that i'm used to playing. You don't need the steering wheel attachment.

roundboy22
01-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Just bought Little League World Series for my family last night and so far its a blast. My son loves it and so do I.

RedsFan75
01-02-2009, 12:45 PM
We love playing WII Sports.

With my arthritis problems I can't play a lot of what I used to love, but as a family we'll WII Bowl, WII Tennis... etc..

My in-laws were thinking of getting a Wii because they had so much fun on my daughters.

Some games didn't play real well with the control system. "Blazing Angels" was one I rented and I had trouble controlling the plane. However, the GameCube controller does work with it, and it's my understanding that the GameCube games will work on it.

Heath
01-02-2009, 01:04 PM

My 5 yr old daughter beat my rear at bowling. My 57 yr old Dad kicked my can at Baseball.

I hate it because I suck.

Everyone else loves it.

MWM - it's worth it - I limit my kids the same TV watching times, the Wii at least gives you some exercise.

WebScorpion
01-02-2009, 01:40 PM
We got a Wii for XMas this year. So far it's been a big hit with everyone. (kids are 3, 8, and 18) So far we've only got the Wii Sports game and Mario Kart. I think we're going to need more controllers and rechargers soon. Some of the funnest times are when things don't go right...my 8-year old whacked me with her controller while we were playing doubles tennis against computer opponents...it was hilarious!
Have fun together and get a little more exercise than watching movies! :thumbup:

GAC
01-03-2009, 03:40 AM
My daughter, who has become an "expert" at Guitar Hero, bought Rock Band with the Christmas money she got from relatives.

It too can be a family interactive game. She got her's for $100 at Walmarts. I'm not into it; but I've had a household full of teens playing it.

If I have to hear one more "demented" version of Deep Purple's "Highway Star", I'm stickin' my head in the oven!

Jpup
01-03-2009, 10:03 AM
It is an American port of Pro Yakyu Spirits 5 from Japan

That's false. It's a remake of a Japanese game, but not Spirits. It's a remake of Jikkyou Powerful Major League.

reds1869
01-04-2009, 07:46 PM
That's false. It's a remake of a Japanese game, but not Spirits. It's a remake of Jikkyou Powerful Major League.

I stand corrected. :)

oneupper
01-17-2009, 09:08 AM
I got my wife a Wii Fit for her birthday and she loves it.

Even if we don't play together, the Wii has something for everyone. My kids will play the adventure games (Okami currently, Zelda before).

I love Wii Golf. My best (expand chest) is 13 under. To make it more interesting I play with two Miis: oneupper and a mii who resembles Lord Voldemort. Evil usually wins.

Tyler Durden
01-22-2009, 09:03 AM
If you like Wii Golf, you should get Tiger Woods. Much more in depth.

bucksfan
01-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Santa brought it to our house. Our 7 yr old daughter, my wife and I all love it. We were not previous owners of a video game system, but this is pretty darn furn. We had it set up for when the rest of the family came over for Christmas later in the day Dec 25, and we had our older, fairly techno-illiterate and very reserved aunt and uncle playing bowling and baseball and just whooping it up. We are loving the Wii sports (although quite simplisitic, it's fun!) and Mario cart games. I'd like to get the MLB baseball game sometime soon. I would highly recommend it altho even still I am conscious of wasting too much time on it!! Too many other things to be doing, especially once spring and summer come around!

Hoosier Red
02-03-2009, 11:43 PM
I think it is impossible to not have fun playing the Wii. Its wonderful but like Nate said the Wii fitness will give you a dose of reality, I am probably 25lbs overweight and it made my Mii really large and told me I was obese, the wife thought it was funny until it told her she was overweight.

Wife and I just got this as a Valentine's Day gift for each other.(Nothing says Happy Valentine's Day like a balance board saying "You're obese.")

Had a ton of fun on a workout tonight, and it was at least an hour long.

George Anderson
02-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Wife and I just got this as a Valentine's Day gift for each other.(Nothing says Happy Valentine's Day like a balance board saying "You're obese.")

Had a ton of fun on a workout tonight, and it was at least an hour long.

My wife and I bought one for each other for Valentines day also and it really is a great gift. Even though our kids are to little to really understand how to play they still have fun seeing their caricatures on screen and acting like they are playing.

I do have one question, on the boxing does it matter how hard you swing the stick as to how hard the punch is thrown?? The same for baseball, does it matter how hard you swing the stick as to how the pitch is thrown or the bat is swung

The reason I ask is my two year old son hit a homerun and unless he is a future Adam Dunn I cannot see him swinging the stick that hard to hit a HR.

Unassisted
02-04-2009, 12:01 PM
The same for baseball, does it matter how hard you swing the stick as to how the pitch is thrown or the bat is swung

The reason I ask is my two year old son hit a homerun and unless he is a future Adam Dunn I cannot see him swinging the stick that hard to hit a HR.Try playing Wii Sports baseball with just wrist action (no arm motion) and you'll see that it's much easier to get a sense of how much the speed of the controller movement affects the speed of the pitch. (Hint: It's not as much as you think. ;) )

I've never tried using just wrist action for boxing, but I imagine it would work, too. It would probably also be far less tiring!

LoganBuck
02-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Try playing Wii Sports baseball with just wrist action (no arm motion) and you'll see that it's much easier to get a sense of how much the speed of the controller movement affects the speed of the pitch. (Hint: It's not as much as you think. ;) )

I've never tried using just wrist action for boxing, but I imagine it would work, too. It would probably also be far less tiring!

On WiiSports Baseball it only takes a flick of the wrist. I am Albert Pujols on there. My sons hate playing me. Now boxing is a different matter. I have found that if one player is swinging, they have the advantage. If both players are using wrist action it works just fine.

We just got Little League World Series, and for some reason I haven't figured out how to hit for power, but I am the Tim Lincecum of pitching. I am averaging 11 K/6.

George Anderson
02-04-2009, 02:56 PM
On WiiSports Baseball it only takes a flick of the wrist. I am Albert Pujols on there. My sons hate playing me. Now boxing is a different matter. I have found that if one player is swinging, they have the advantage. If both players are using wrist action it works just fine.

We just got Little League World Series, and for some reason I haven't figured out how to hit for power, but I am the Tim Lincecum of pitching. I am averaging 11 K/6.

I figured hitting on wii baseball had little to do with bat speed.

When I first got the game I was swinging the wii stick with the power of Glenn Braggs. I hit like three homeruns in an inning and I thought I was a bad son of a gun. Then my two year old son picked up the wii stick and hit a HR on his very first swing.

It would have made a great commercial.

Unassisted
02-04-2009, 05:16 PM
I figured hitting on wii baseball had little to do with bat speed.

When I first got the game I was swinging the wii stick with the power of Glenn Braggs. I hit like three homeruns in an inning and I thought I was a bad son of a gun. Then my two year old son picked up the wii stick and hit a HR on his very first swing.

It would have made a great commercial.
Enjoy it while it lasts. Once you make Pro in WS baseball, the HRs will be few and far between. :(