PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts About Reacquiring Austin Kearns?

Krusty
01-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Just wonder what your thoughts are if the Reds should reacquire Austin Kearns to fill their righthanded bat in the middle of the lineup?

Jpup
01-02-2009, 12:47 AM
I'm all for it, but it will never happen.

HokieRed
01-02-2009, 12:47 AM
What's he making?

corkedbat
01-02-2009, 12:50 AM
For the bench or as the starting LF? How much contract does Pants eat and will he take Taveras in return?

KronoRed
01-02-2009, 01:16 AM
No thanks, he's pretty much done, and expensive to boot.

jmcclain19
01-02-2009, 01:17 AM
What's he making?

$8 mil this year, $10 mil next year.

Honestly, if their are about 30 other corner OF options the Reds can sign. Guys who will get paid the minimum who can barely slug their own weight are a dime a dozen, why bother trading for one who they have to give $18 million over the next two years?

Wheelhouse
01-02-2009, 01:37 AM
Austin is a sad story. One of my favorite players when he came up, but I think he got disillusioned with the losing, toxic atmosphere playing for the Reds, and some of his bad habits grew, rather than having a renewed focus on becoming the great ballplayer he can be. Yes, he got hurt in the collision at home plate, and that didn't help, but he's well beyond that now. I just don't think he's worth the money he's getting and I don't think he has the makeup to ultimately realize his talent. But what a talent when he came up. I hope the same doesn't happen to Bruce.

camisadelgolf
01-02-2009, 02:04 AM
IIrc, he had what some of us call a 'unlucky' year last year. In other words, his numbers made it appear that he performed worse than he actually did. If his disappointing year had nothing to do with diminished skills, I'd welcome him back to Cincinnati with open arms.

Topcat
01-02-2009, 02:20 AM
Pass at the price tag of his contract.

icehole3
01-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Austin is a sad story. One of my favorite players when he came up, but I think he got disillusioned with the losing, toxic atmosphere playing for the Reds, and some of his bad habits grew, rather than having a renewed focus on becoming the great ballplayer he can be. Yes, he got hurt in the collision at home plate, and that didn't help, but he's well beyond that now. I just don't think he's worth the money he's getting and I don't think he has the makeup to ultimately realize his talent. But what a talent when he came up. I hope the same doesn't happen to Bruce.

must be toxic in Washington too, his numbers seem the same to me.

mth123
01-02-2009, 07:40 AM
must be toxic in Washington too, his numbers seem the same to me.

Jim Bowden = Toxic

Raisor
01-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Last three seasons: .255/.348/.411/.759

To pick him up, you'd pretty much have to figure out a three way deal, since Walt won't deal with Leather Pants. If you could some team to eath a chunk of his contract, he'd be a better choice then Willy T.

mth123
01-02-2009, 07:53 AM
I'd take Kearns:

1. If he could be had for a low ceiling arm - say Valiquette or Lecure
2. The Nats pay enough that he'd only cost a couple of million each year

or

3. He's part of a package that brings Ryan Zimmerman to Cincy. Say something like EdE, Bailey and Roenicke for Zimmerman and Kearns. Nats get another Bowden acquisition who has proven pop with some power arms and some major salary relief while solving the OF glut. The Reds get a huge upgrade at 3B and a RH bat (with a good glove) for LF that could rebound in a big way in GABP. The Reds would be only a SS away from being a very very solid defensive team.

RedEye
01-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Goodness... so many logical suggestions by members of RedsZone. Sell us the Reds, Bob!

RedLegSuperStar
01-02-2009, 08:49 AM
I'd rather take my chances on Lastings Milledge who is rumored to be trade bait.

Krusty
01-02-2009, 08:58 AM
I'd rather take my chances on Lastings Milledge who is rumored to be trade bait.

According to the Nationals website, they don't see him as a centerfielder. They are looking for a lefthanded bat to play lst base. I doubt the Reds would trade Votto, and their is talk of signing Dunn and maybe making him a lst baseman.

Either way, they are loaded with righthanded corner outfielders with Willingham, Kearns, Milledge and Dukes. They will need a centerfielder and as much as many would like, I doubt the Reds will trade Taveras for one of those outfielders.

If you could get a third team like the Pirates involved where they would send Adam LaRoche to Washington, Milledge to the Reds and maybe a package of young prospects that would interest the Pirates from the Reds, then maybe something like that would fly.

But it might just be easier to sign free agent Ty Wiggington to play third base and shift Encarnacion to LF. My thing with Wiggington is he never had great RBI numbers even playing for Houston and I'm not sure he is the middle of the order hitter that the Reds envisioned.

mth123
01-02-2009, 09:04 AM

Me too, but he'd cost a lot. I'd do Bailey for him but I'd bet they want more.

He's a little OB challenged. Last year his OBP was only .330 and that is with 14 HBP. He also hit into 19 DP. He seems to have HBP as a "skill." He was hit a decent amount in the minors as well.

Krusty
01-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Me too, but he'd cost a lot. I'd do Bailey for him but I'd bet they want more.

He's a little OB challenged. Last year his OBP was only .330 and that is with 14 HBP. He also hit into 19 DP. He seems to have HBP as a "skill." He was hit a decent amount in the minors as well.

Bowden collects outfielders like my dog does with bones. Trying to figure leatherpants out is just as a mystery today as it was when he was running the Reds. I have to think he will make a major play for Dunn but does he risk trying to convert him at lst base? If not, then he sticks him in LF and Milledge and Willingham become trade bait for a centerfielder.

mth123
01-02-2009, 09:16 AM
According to the Nationals website, they don't see him as a centerfielder. They are looking for a lefthanded bat to play lst base. I doubt the Reds would trade Votto, and their is talk of signing Dunn and maybe making him a lst baseman.

Either way, they are loaded with righthanded corner outfielders with Willingham, Kearns, Milledge and Dukes. They will need a centerfielder and as much as many would like, I doubt the Reds will trade Taveras for one of those outfielders.

If you could get a third team like the Pirates involved where they would send Adam LaRoche to Washington, Milledge to the Reds and maybe a package of young prospects that would interest the Pirates from the Reds, then maybe something like that would fly.

But it might just be easier to sign free agent Ty Wiggington to play third base and shift Encarnacion to LF. My thing with Wiggington is he never had great RBI numbers even playing for Houston and I'm not sure he is the middle of the order hitter that the Reds envisioned.

Bailey to the Pirates, LaRoche to the Nats, Milledge to the Reds. Not sure why they don't just go with one of those OF at 1B. Willingham would make sense. They would be very Right Handed, but its better than selling low on Milledge. They could buy time that way until they know more about Nick Johnson and Dmitri Youing. They must think they both are finished.

With the money Bowden has committed to Johnson, Young and Kearns, I wonder how he keeps his job.