PDA

View Full Version : The most important question re: adding Willy Taveras to the Reds...

Highlifeman21
01-02-2009, 03:13 PM
What number will he wear?

I'm guessing #3

Griffey's no longer using it, so it clears the path of greatness for our new CF (who will just happen to bat leadoff, too!) Willy Taveras.

The only reason I ask, is b/c I wanna be the first kid in my neighborhood to own a Willy Taveras jersey!

Ron Madden
01-02-2009, 03:16 PM
1/8.

Spitball
01-02-2009, 04:17 PM
I had wondered about the same thing because Taveras has worn number 3 in the past. Personally, I'd rather they wait a few years before it is re-issued. The Reds certainly issued number 30 quickly enough after Griffey changed.

Blimpie
01-02-2009, 04:19 PM

Highlifeman21
01-02-2009, 04:21 PM
I had wondered about the same thing because Taveras has worn number 3 in the past. Personally, I'd rather they wait a few years before it is re-issued. The Reds certainly issued number 30 quickly enough after Griffey changed.

If Taveras does wear #3, it would be similar to Norris Hopper wearing #30 after Griffey switched to #3...

Raisor
01-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Deep Six

Tom Servo
01-02-2009, 05:02 PM

penantboundreds
01-02-2009, 05:20 PM
I hope he wears #1

penantboundreds
01-02-2009, 05:20 PM
b/c thats where he finished in the stolen base category last year

dougdirt
01-02-2009, 05:24 PM
b/c thats where he finished in the stolen base category last year

Maybe he can wear #26 for where he ranked in OBP among the top 30 Centerfielders by PA? I know its Wilkin Castillo's 'number' but I think someone might have a little more pull.

Spitball
01-02-2009, 05:26 PM
If Taveras does wear #3, it would be similar to Norris Hopper wearing #30 after Griffey switched to #3...

Actually, they issued it to Quinton McCracken before Hopper. It looked so odd to see the squat McCracken wearing the number.

The Reds have unofficially retired a few number in the past, and I think they should do it again with #3.

I remember the Reds issued Dick Simpson the same number Frank Robinson wore (#20) in 1966. That was totally wrong in my young (at the time) mind.

Highlifeman21
01-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Actually, they issued it to Quinton McCracken before Hopper. It looked so odd to see the squat McCracken wearing the number.

The Reds have unofficially retired a few number in the past, and I think they should do it again with #3.

I remember the Reds issued Dick Simpson the same number Frank Robinson wore (#20) in 1966. That was totally wrong in my young (at the time) mind.

I had completely forgotten about Quinton McCracken...

Thank you for pouring salt in that old wound....

Jpup
01-02-2009, 05:34 PM

Why would the Reds retire #3? Jr.'s time in Cincy wasn't exactly worthy of such distinction. His best years were in #30 with the Reds anyway.

Tom Servo
01-02-2009, 06:16 PM
I had completely forgotten about Quinton McCracken...

Thank you for pouring salt in that old wound....
Hey atleast we made the right choice in keeping Q-Crack over Cody Ross.

Highlifeman21
01-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Hey atleast we made the right choice in keeping Q-Crack over Cody Ross.

At least Ross is still in baseball...

What's McCracken doing these days?

RedEye
01-02-2009, 06:24 PM

SteelSD
01-02-2009, 08:00 PM
1-3

No. Not the result. Just 1-3. If you know how to read a score book, you'll understand why. ;)

Highlifeman21
01-02-2009, 08:01 PM
1-3

No. Not the result. Just 1-3. If you know how to read a score book, you'll understand why. ;)

Thrown out by the pitcher @ 1B after he tries to lay down a bunt?

SteelSD
01-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Thrown out by the pitcher @ 1B after he tries to lay down a bunt?

:D

Caveat Emperor
01-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Give him #00, both in tribute to his VORP and to another favorite judy-hitting speedster of mine:

http://www.rivalfish.com/rivalroom/uploaded_images/27165_512-738407.jpg

UKFlounder
01-02-2009, 08:17 PM
44, of course.

What a funny thread. You all are reall "McCracken" me up. :eek::evil:

Big Klu
01-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Why would the Reds retire #3? Jr.'s time in Cincy wasn't exactly worthy of such distinction. His best years were in #30 with the Reds anyway.

I tend to agree with you. Junior's best years in Cincinnati were while he wore his father's #30. I also think that he didn't do enough with the Reds to warrant his number being retired, but I expect that it probably will be--at least unofficially for a time, and then eventually officially.

RedEye
01-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Give him #00, both in tribute to his VORP and to another favorite judy-hitting speedster of mine:

http://www.rivalfish.com/rivalroom/uploaded_images/27165_512-738407.jpg

If Dusty makes Willy do pushups when he pops out instead of putting the ball on the ground, I might actually forgive this franchise of all its ills. And if Josh Roenicke starts wearing thick glasses and shaving weird designs in his hair, then we might really be onto something...

http://media.myfoxtampabay.com/images/BCS/sheen1.jpg

Highlifeman21
01-02-2009, 10:32 PM
If Dusty makes Willy do pushups when he pops out instead of putting the ball on the ground, I might actually forgive this franchise of all its ills. And if Josh Roenicke starts wearing thick glasses and shaving weird designs in his hair, then we might really be onto something...

http://media.myfoxtampabay.com/images/BCS/sheen1.jpg

That's something all Reds fans should rally around for 2009.

Raisor
01-02-2009, 10:34 PM

Triple Zero.

Could be his SLG this year.

corkedbat
01-02-2009, 11:20 PM

RedEye
01-02-2009, 11:27 PM
4:20

corkedbat
01-02-2009, 11:37 PM

To remind Walt what he was doing when he decided to pull the trigger on that one? Musta been one big fatty. :D

Hap
01-03-2009, 09:59 AM

now, your moniker makes sense......

RedEye
01-03-2009, 11:08 AM
now, your moniker makes sense......

Totally...

http://pages.kennykondo.com/spiccoli.jpg/spiccoli-full.jpg

corkedbat
01-03-2009, 12:51 PM
The Taveras signing is a very strong arguement against "Wake and Bake"

Spitball
01-03-2009, 01:18 PM
I tend to agree with you. Junior's best years in Cincinnati were while he wore his father's #30. I also think that he didn't do enough with the Reds to warrant his number being retired, but I expect that it probably will be--at least unofficially for a time, and then eventually officially.

I would like to see the Reds honor his HOF career by waiting a few years before issuing #3 again. It is a little too late for #30.

He might not have played his best ball in Cincinnati, but he will be in the Hall of Fame one day. Besides, he showed up at the tribute to Joe Nuxhall when all other Reds on the roster had better things to do that day. That alone surely does not warrant paying Junior the respect of withholding his number, but it colors my perspective in showing him some respect for his time with the Reds.

Big Klu
01-03-2009, 01:44 PM
I would like to see the Reds honor his HOF career by waiting a few years before issuing #3 again. It is a little too late for #30.

He might not have played his best ball in Cincinnati, but he will be in the Hall of Fame one day. Besides, he showed up at the tribute to Joe Nuxhall when all other Reds on the roster had better things to do that day. That alone surely does not warrant paying Junior the respect of withholding his number, but it colors my perspective in showing him some respect for his time with the Reds.

I would be perfectly OK with that. I wish he had never switched numbers, though, because I could almost buy into retiring #30 to jointly honor Ken Sr. and Ken Jr.

RedEye
01-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks for changing the subject, Spitball. That train of thought was spinning out of control quickly.

So, Willy Taveras and uniform numbers...

Spitball
01-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks for changing the subject, Spitball. That train of thought was spinning out of control quickly.

So, Willy Taveras and uniform numbers...

Uh, right. I was confused there for a minute. How about #32778? It's the zip code of Tavares, Florida, and would look really cool. :D

remdog
01-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Uh, right. I was confused there for a minute. How about #32778? It's the zip code of Tavares, Florida, and would look really cool. :D

LMAO.

Rem

Highlifeman21
01-03-2009, 09:22 PM

Wow, Tavares has his own town.

I'm 100% behind adding him to the Reds now that this new information has come to light!

camisadelgolf
01-03-2009, 09:28 PM

I'm 100% behind adding him to the Reds now that this new information has come to light!

Just imagine Taveras City. I'd imagine there would be a lot of stealing and no power.

marcshoe
01-04-2009, 08:54 AM

Here's hoping you don't hear about the capital of South Dakota. :eek:

RedEye
01-04-2009, 09:18 AM

Good lord. Juan Pierre + Willy Taveras at the top of the lineup? I honestly do think I'd consider becoming a Marlins fan.

nate
01-04-2009, 09:21 AM

Fortunately, it's pronounced differently than the surname of LtlAbner's favorite player.

Highlifeman21
01-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Good lord. Juan Pierre + Willy Taveras at the top of the lineup? I honestly do think I'd consider becoming a Marlins fan.

Maybe even a Kansas City Royals fan.

RedEye
01-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Maybe even a Kansas City Royals fan.

I honestly think KC might have a better FO than we do, if less money. Even the Gil Meche signing, I've been told, looks pretty smart these days.

GAC
01-04-2009, 08:41 PM
I think #2 would be appropriate. ;)

Caveat Emperor
01-05-2009, 12:52 AM

You had to mention him...

http://www.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/galactus.jpg

RedEye
01-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Oops... I didn't realize the consequences of mentioning Juan Pierre by name.

SHOOT! I did it again!

redsfan4445
01-19-2009, 11:28 PM
dont know if this is mentioned.. Taveras will wear #3 geesh i guess when Taveras sees all those Griffey #3 jersies, he will pretend its his jersy..!

KronoRed
01-20-2009, 01:40 AM

SHOOT! I did it again!

Now you've really done it..
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9526/prime2gw2bn4.jpg

Mario-Rijo
01-20-2009, 02:09 AM

Dude a green lantern optimus prime.....sweet!!!

Ltlabner
01-20-2009, 07:21 AM

SHOOT! I did it again!

So mentioning Juan Pierre by name causes bad things to happen or something?

flyer85
01-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Reds should have added the cheap low risk version of Taveras ... his name is Gathright

TRF
01-21-2009, 04:47 PM

I must know the name of this that I may buy it immediately.

mth123
01-22-2009, 06:19 AM
Reds should have added the cheap low risk version of Taveras ... his name is Gathright

Or Hopper. Already had him. No need to bring either of Taveras or Gathrght in. They are all the same guy, but Hopper may be a little smarter.

I'd prefer the smarter one n AAA than the others on the Reds.

RedlegJake
01-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Or Hopper. Already had him. No need to bring either of Taveras or Gathrght in. They are all the same guy, but Hopper may be a little smarter.

I'd prefer the smarter one n AAA than the others on the Reds.

I disagree with most people here (again). Becoming a trend. I find when I am a real minority in opinion that I better look carefully at the arguments as I am more likely to be on the wrong side but I just don't see the tremendous bile thrown at Taveras.

No need to repeat the stats. IF Willie has a 2009 like 2008 he'll be a disaster. I can see that. But IF he has a season above his career OBP (and every player is either above or below that line to some degree - few ever hit their median spot on), steals as efficiently as he always has, and plays simply average level defense in center, he can be an effective weapon.

Looking at his career, I'd wager he'll better his career OBP a bit - probably not the level of his 2007 season but I'll bet he's closer to that than he is to last year's.

I would have loved someone better, actually would have preferred a platoon situation with Dickerson and someone; but - now people are implying NORRIS HOPPER would be preferable. Yegads. All I can say. Yegads.

Give me Taveras very easily if the choices have to be Pierre, Gathright, Hopper or Willie. The argument "it didn't have to be any of them" I can buy. The argument that Taveras is a disastrous mistake I do not.

mbgrayson
01-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Per C. Trent's blog:

Dusty Baker said there could be a platoon in left with Gomes, Dickerson and Hopper/Hairston. He also said Willy Taveras is his centerfielder and leadoff batter.

Of course we already knew this, but in case there were any doubts....

membengal
01-22-2009, 10:17 AM
No, no, I was assured by several in here that there would be an open competition in training camp for CF. Dusty must be mistaken...

TRF
01-22-2009, 04:52 PM
No, no, I was assured by several in here that there would be an open competition in training camp for CF. Dusty must be mistaken...

Yah, Taveras was here for depth only. reading things like this causes my computer to freeze up. then I have to reboot it three times to get it to work properly.

jesusfan
01-22-2009, 04:59 PM
platoon between 3 maybe 4 players... hmmmmm that should work out really well...

Highlifeman21
01-22-2009, 07:35 PM
platoon between 3 maybe 4 players... hmmmmm that should work out really well...

... but no mention of Laynce Nix?!??!

mth123
01-23-2009, 02:48 AM
I disagree with most people here (again). Becoming a trend. I find when I am a real minority in opinion that I better look carefully at the arguments as I am more likely to be on the wrong side but I just don't see the tremendous bile thrown at Taveras.

No need to repeat the stats. IF Willie has a 2009 like 2008 he'll be a disaster. I can see that. But IF he has a season above his career OBP (and every player is either above or below that line to some degree - few ever hit their median spot on), steals as efficiently as he always has, and plays simply average level defense in center, he can be an effective weapon.

Looking at his career, I'd wager he'll better his career OBP a bit - probably not the level of his 2007 season but I'll bet he's closer to that than he is to last year's.

I would have loved someone better, actually would have preferred a platoon situation with Dickerson and someone; but - now people are implying NORRIS HOPPER would be preferable. Yegads. All I can say. Yegads.

Give me Taveras very easily if the choices have to be Pierre, Gathright, Hopper or Willie. The argument "it didn't have to be any of them" I can buy. The argument that Taveras is a disastrous mistake I do not.

As I said. I prefer Hopper in AAA. IMO, Taveras is just Hopper with more playing time (and now a guaranteed contract). Offensive skillset is exactly the same. Taveras has some window dressing with his stolen bases, but he's not a game changing base stealer and IMO those 70ish steals add little when it comes to actually winning baseball games. They're nice for a fantasy team, but I don't think they add much as far as on the field wins and losses go. There are a few guys whose steals enhance value (Ichiro and Jimmy Rollins are a couple of examples) but not many whose sole value is based on the ability to steal bases that are worth passing on players who do other things. Take away the steals (which are a very minor factor IMO) and how is Taveras much different than Hopper? For that matter, don't you think Hopper would accumulate a bunch of steals if he played all the time? It wouldn't make him any good, but I think he would. IMO, bringing in Taveras was pointless. The Reds already had him on the roster and don't really have room for two of them (one is bad enough).

OnBaseMachine
01-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Dusty on Taveras:

"His role is he's our center fielder and our leadoff man," Baker said. "The fact that he's so young - he's going to get better. A lot of people talk about his on-base percentage. I like to think in terms of him getting into scoring position."

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090123/SPT04/901230407/1071

RedsManRick
01-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Dusty on Taveras:

"His role is he's our center fielder and our leadoff man," Baker said. "The fact that he's so young - he's going to get better. A lot of people talk about his on-base percentage. I like to think in terms of him getting into scoring position."

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090123/SPT04/901230407/1071

I hate the traditional concept of scoring position with a burning passion. First base IS scoring position -- especially with the heart of a lineup behind you. It's hard to get to second base, let alone score, when you're sitting on the pine after grounding out to second.

KronoRed
01-23-2009, 02:37 PM
I must know the name of this that I may buy it immediately.

It is known as Epic Victory.:cool:

nate
01-23-2009, 02:50 PM
I hate the traditional concept of scoring position with a burning passion. First base IS scoring position -- especially with the heart of a lineup behind you. It's hard to get to second base, let alone score, when you're sitting on the pine after grounding out to second.

But think of the excitement in the first inning:

W. Taveras (somehow gets on base)
with J. Hairston batting, W. Taveras steals 2nd
J. Hairston FO-7
J. Bruce BB
B. Phillips 6-4-3 DP

EXCITING!

KronoRed
01-23-2009, 02:51 PM

J. Hairston FO-7
J. Bruce BB
B. Phillips 6-4-3 DP

EXCITING!

No rallys killed there. Awesome!

RedsManRick
01-23-2009, 03:02 PM

J. Hairston FO-7
J. Bruce BB
B. Phillips 6-4-3 DP

EXCITING!

This is just stupid. We all know it will be Votto taking that walk. (followed by Marty degrading him for not swinging the bat with a runner in scoring position)

BuckeyeRedleg
01-23-2009, 03:16 PM

with J. Hairston batting, Taveras steals 2nd
J. Hairston FO-7
J. Bruce BB
B. Phillips 6-4-3 DP

EXCITING!

Or

W. Taveras steals 2nd
Dusty has Hairston bunt Willy T over
J. Bruce BB
B. Phillips 6-4-3 DP

_Sir_Charles_
01-23-2009, 04:36 PM
There are days that I'm puzzled as to why many of you are still Reds fans. The negativity on this board can get awfully depressing awfully fast. I guess I never realized how different I was in the fact that I get incredibly excited about the upcoming season anytime ST approaches. Maybe it's because I'm not around the Reds like I was in my youth, the rarity of my seeing them enhances the enjoyment...or something along those lines. Who knows...but I'm still looking forward to '09. :O)

RedsManRick
01-23-2009, 07:35 PM
There are days that I'm puzzled as to why many of you are still Reds fans. The negativity on this board can get awfully depressing awfully fast. I guess I never realized how different I was in the fact that I get incredibly excited about the upcoming season anytime ST approaches. Maybe it's because I'm not around the Reds like I was in my youth, the rarity of my seeing them enhances the enjoyment...or something along those lines. Who knows...but I'm still looking forward to '09. :O)

I'm a Reds fan today because I was a Reds fan 20 years ago, before I was old enough to make a rational choice based on shared values instead of mere geography.

Being a fan of the team isn't about being optimistic or pessimistic about their chances in the upcoming year. My assessment of the team is a logical calculation based upon my understanding of how baseball games are won and the talent the team brings to bear. It would bring me no additional happiness to project a playoff appearance in the face of evidence suggesting its unlikeliness of happening. As a rational person, I see no reason to put my happiness in the hands of blind faith. Rather, the pleasure of my fandom is rooted in the long term involvement in the broader community of fans.

I can draw pleasure commiserating with my fellow fans about the ongoing self-inflicted struggles of the organization just as easily as I can draw pleasure from shared hopes for playoff glory. Sure, I'd have even more fun if the Reds were a great organization and put great teams on the field. I certainly hope they do well. But the enjoyment felt from the wins, and the pain felt from the losses, gets tallied in a different part my emotional ledger.

Changing my fandom artificially so that I can root for a winner would cost me the great pleasure I get from being a part of this community and having been so for the entirety of my life; being able to cheer for a winner wouldn't begin to fill the hole that would be created. Over time, it would get better. Or maybe not.

I'm a "negative" Reds fan. I think the organization is poorly managed and the team mediocre. But I can't wait for opening day.

Redhook
01-23-2009, 07:48 PM

I always be a Reds fan. That'll never change.

I'm generally a very positive person and almost always predict to my dad that the Reds will be in the World Series every year. Unfortunately, even with my optimism, I couldn't predict the Reds in the Series last year or this upcoming year. Most of the time it's half joking of course, but deep down I always had hope of it happening. That hope is gone right now. It's sad and really frustrating all at the same time.

membengal
01-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Oh good. Are we at the part of the off-season where our fandom is questioned for daring to look at the team and wonder why they have not done more?

Awesome. Nothing says late January on redszone like that kind of childish query. Ridiculous.

*BaseClogger*
01-23-2009, 08:55 PM

Every day I update my facebook status with the number of days until Opening Day. It's not that I don't look forward to the start of Reds season, but I just try to make informed judgments...

Caveat Emperor
01-24-2009, 02:53 AM
Oh good. Are we at the part of the off-season where our fandom is questioned for daring to look at the team and wonder why they have not done more?

Awesome. Nothing says late January on redszone like that kind of childish query. Ridiculous.

Don't worry, soon it'll be on to the "well if the stats tell us everything, why even play the season?" in March.

Mario-Rijo
01-24-2009, 03:33 AM
Hey the truth hurts, but it hurts a lot more when you don't see it coming. I finally after many years of relying on the media to tell me how good or bad we might be now have freed myself from those unrealistic expectations by getting informed. I now understand that we can win but it would take a massive string of luck (a miraculous run of timely hits) to do so, sans some serious changes of approach to the game by more than 1 member of the club. But more than that I have realized that this "good luck" would ultimately be bad as it would lead the F.O. to believe they are on the right track. Perhaps the best thing we can hope for is more of the same, at least for one more year.

savafan
12-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Honest question here. Do you believe that there is any other team in baseball that would keep Taveras on their roster for what the Reds are paying him in 2010, rather than cutting him loose and actually paying a youngster the minimum salary to potentially contribute to victories for the team?

Chip R
12-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Honest question here. Do you believe that there is any other team in baseball that would keep Taveras on their roster for what the Reds are paying him in 2010, rather than cutting him loose and actually paying a youngster the minimum salary to potentially contribute to victories for the team?

Yep.

savafan
12-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Yep.

Which ones?

Chip R
12-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Which ones?

Pirates, Royals, Orioles, Indians, Rangers, Mets maybe.

flyer85
12-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Which ones?the dumb ones

Ltlabner
12-14-2009, 01:53 PM
It's ok. We've identified a hitch in his swing we feel can be corrected and we feel he can be a good table setter for our offense. His ability to create havoc on the basepaths is another aspect of his game that we find valuable.

BRM
12-14-2009, 02:19 PM
It's ok. We've identified a hitch in his swing we feel can be corrected and we feel he can be a good table setter for our offense. His ability to create havoc on the basepaths is another aspect of his game that we find valuable.

I think the Reds should give him a few hundred at-bats to start the season so he can build up his trade value.

Highlifeman21
12-14-2009, 10:12 PM

Sure, teams that are in a similar financial position would have to keep Taveras on the roster as a sunk cost, b/c they want to attempt to recoup some kinda value from him, but ultimately will cut him loose during the season if that does not happen.

Teams that can afford to pay him to no longer occupy a roster spot would do so, but the Reds unfortunately are not in that position.

Highlifeman21
12-14-2009, 10:13 PM

Rut roh.... you said havoc

Ron Madden
12-14-2009, 10:27 PM
The way I see it the Reds are gonna have to pay Taveras anyway, might as well pay him to make outs for some other team.

Spring~Fields
12-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Dusty on Taveras:

:bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:

Now that is funny stuff. Raisor can’t even top that one.

Originally Posted by savafan

savafan
I think the real question and your real answer is found somewhere up above. ;)