PDA

View Full Version : Science fair project help...

Spitball
01-02-2009, 09:34 PM
My son is a senior in high school and taking physical science. It is an advanced class and the students are required to participate in the science fair. Many students have paired up with a partner and my son volunteered to pair with an Asian girl who speaks virtually no English. The teacher okayed a project that was easier than his expectations because of the language barrier.

After several frustrating meetings, the language barrier became too much and the girl decided to go it on her own. My son had done all the work on the project, but now the project is hers.

He decided to let it go and not appear to be a jerk about things, but now he hasto come up with another project and it must be physical science with several variables. The teacher also teaches at a local college and expects a lot from his students. The problem is my son doesn't have much time, now. Does anyone have a science fair project idea or link (it must be physical science). He is desperate and frustrated.

Highlifeman21
01-02-2009, 09:40 PM
My son is a senior in high school and taking physical science. It is an advanced class and the students are required to participate in the science fair. Many students have paired up with a partner and my son volunteered to pair with an Asian girl who speaks virtually no English. The teacher okayed a project that was easier than his expectations because of the language barrier.

After several frustrating meetings, the language barrier became too much and the girl decided to go it on her own. My son had done all the work on the project, but now the project is hers.

He decided to let it go and not appear to be a jerk about things, but now he hasto come up with another project and it must be physical science with several variables. The teacher also teaches at a local college and expects a lot from his students. The problem is my son doesn't have much time, now. Does anyone have a science fair project idea or link (it must be physical science). He is desperate and frustrated.

Reminds me of the Family Guy episode where Peter's taking some test, has an Asian on his desk and is poking the Asian saying "C'mon... do math."

On a more serious note, hopefully these links will help.

Science Projects (http://www.hometrainingtools.com/articles/science-projects/acat_physical-science-projects.html)

More project ideas (http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/experiments.htm)

Last but not least... (http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml)

Good luck with the project!

Spitball
01-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks, Highlifeman21! He holds himself to a high standard and appreciates the help. I also appreciate the help. I always admire your posts.

Redsfaithful
01-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Try to avoid any of these:

http://www.photobasement.com/41-hilarious-science-fair-experiments/

In all seriousness though, I'd pick up a book, something like this maybe:

http://www.amazon.com/Scientific-American-Great-Science-Projects/dp/0471356255/ref=pd_sim_b_3

Unassisted
01-04-2009, 03:16 AM
My kid made it all the way to the state Science Fair in 8th grade with a project where he tested various types of earplugs using a decibel meter, a boombox and a styrofoam cooler.

We were hoping his younger brother would have a chance to do a SF project, but the school has decided not to participate in them anymore because too many kids from other schools were doing them who had access to professional laboratories. :bang:

The Baumer
01-04-2009, 05:47 AM
I went to a rich middle school and everyone had their engineer dad's build them a wind tunnel or a robotic arm. It was pretty obvious.

Spitball
01-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Redsfaithful, my son and I had several good laughs over the "avoid" link. That was great.

Highlifeman21, my son is going to present his proposed project from a project he found on one of your links. All I know is it has to do with light and involves formulas. Science is not my bag so I really appreciate the help from you guys. Thank you all very much.

acredsfan
01-05-2009, 01:16 AM
Redsfaithful, my son and I had several good laughs over the "avoid" link. That was great.

Highlifeman21, my son is going to present his proposed project from a project he found on one of your links. All I know is it has to do with light and involves formulas. Science is not my bag so I really appreciate the help from you guys. Thank you all very much.I won my school's science fair 4 straight years with trips to county then district every year. My first three were on aerodynamics. I actually contacted chevy's Detriot headquarters and made contact with one of their motorsports division engineer who really helped me out. My most fun year was my last where I tested the effects of different dry soaps (tide, electasol, borax, etc.) when used as a fire retardant in housing insulation. Some builders actually use borax for that application, and believe it or not, it really does work. I built a rough scale two story house where i put insulation with and without the soap between the wood and a carboard sheet. Anyway, just be creative. I did my projects in a few days time.

By the way, I think it was electrasol that worked best.