PDA

View Full Version : Who starts in left field for Reds opening day?

Jim Fazio
01-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Give me your prediction on the Reds opening day left fielder.

E. Davis 44
01-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Jay Bruce; because we will acquire Dye to play RF.

Bip Roberts
01-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Moving Bruce to left to play Dye in right would be a total dusty bakerism

gobucks106
01-04-2009, 05:15 PM
I say it's Chris Dickerson! He wins the job by having a great spring and will platoon with Harisotn Jr. Of course something tells me we open with the Mets and if that's the case Santana is lefty so Hariston Jr. starts on opening day!

Slyder
01-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Moving Bruce to left to play Dye in right would be a total dusty bakerism

Its about respect Dude!!!111oneoneuno. Cant disrespect a great player like Dye by moving him to LF. I dont care if he's on the downside of his career. Respect Dude.

Newman4
01-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Ty Wigginton. Dude killed LHP last year. Sign him up.

Kingspoint
01-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Chris Dickerson

Ghosts of 1990
01-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Its about respect Dude!!!111oneoneuno. Cant disrespect a great player like Dye by moving him to LF. I dont care if he's on the downside of his career. Respect Dude.

bolognese

reds1869
01-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Adam Dunn. Not saying that's good or bad--there's a whole thread for that--I just have that feeling for some reason.

E. Davis 44
01-04-2009, 08:42 PM
i wasn't saying i would move Jay to LF. But I think if we get Dye that Bruce would make the move easier than Dye would. So that is what I said I think will happen.

steig
01-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Ty Wigginton. Dude killed LHP last year. Sign him up.

I 2nd Wigginton, could get him cheap, probably won't be signed until late January.

Captain Hook
01-04-2009, 09:56 PM
I don't have a clue.My best guess would be Hariston Jr.The chances are still slim though because JH isn't even part of the team but who knows.Every day I hope to find out that the Reds have signed a decent option for LF and while there is still time I'm loosing hope.

reds1869
01-04-2009, 09:57 PM
I don't have a clue.My best guess would be Hariston Jr.The chances are still slim though because JH isn't even part of the team but who knows.Every day I hope to find out that the Reds have signed a decent option for LF and while there is still time I'm loosing hope.

The game has changed. Things have been waaaaay quieter on the player movement front than usual and should really heat up this month. That said, I'm with you on the losing hope thing; see my painful prediction above.

Captain Hook
01-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Hope your right....I'd take Dunn back.

LetsGoReds11
01-04-2009, 10:21 PM
I'm Hoping For A Nice Signing....I'm Going To Go Out On A Limb and Say Rocco Baldelli

Roush's socks
01-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Since the Reds are playing the wait and see game, it is impossible to predict. They will jump on a FA if one is available cheap and without signing a long contract. Since the economy is so bad, maybe someone like Burell will sign a one year contract and see if he can make more next offseason.

If there aren't any deals to be had, Dickerson will get a chance.

Va Red Fan
01-05-2009, 01:09 AM
I vote George Foster

DannyB
01-05-2009, 01:22 AM
Nady

Write it down

Orodle
01-05-2009, 02:36 AM
Dickerson

Redus
01-16-2009, 10:17 PM
At this point I think theyre gonna get a fathead of Eric Davis and stick it to the left field wall. Barring that a platoon of Dickerson and Laynce Nix. Wow color me excited :(

morande
01-16-2009, 10:54 PM
Dickerson

Griffey012
01-16-2009, 11:07 PM
If Lance Nix were the starting left fielder I would be happily surprised, because I would think that would mean he put up a huge spring, looked like he was healthy, and was poised for a Ryan Ludwick type breakout season.

But then again, it could also just mean we are that desperate and dumb.

fewfirstchoice
01-16-2009, 11:20 PM
Bobby Abreu

mikemo14
01-17-2009, 12:29 AM
Hopefully Abreu.

jnwohio
01-17-2009, 12:47 AM
If it is somebody not already on the team, Abreu, Dunn, or Wiggington.

I thought the quote Jocketty gave Mark Sheldon about a possible Dunn return was interesting. Jocketty said he was "pessimistic" such a thing would happen because of the money Dunn was still looking for. Jocketty is usually pretty carefull with his words; and it seems to me pessimistic is not a word you use for something you consider out of the question. If there is no way, you say doubtfull or I don't think so or not interested etc. Or how about we've turned that page and are looking to the future.... On the other hand if you were trying to leverage somebody in the same general salary range as Dunn, say Abreu for example, you just might want to sound the least little bit interested in Dunn. So I think he has interest in one or both of Dunn and Abreu (obviously would only sign one).

Wigginton is not in the same salary class so I don't think he was part of the game above. I think they honestly don't want him in the outfield. So it might come down to how desparate they become as things move forward....

redsfandan
01-17-2009, 02:02 AM
It seems that both Walt and the FA's left are tying to wait each other out to see who will blink first. Maybe Walt thinks the last decent bat left standing will become desperate for a decent contract. But if we do pick up any of the 3 I'd feel alot better about things, especially if it's Abreu or Dunn.

Wigginton is not in the same salary class so I don't think he was part of the game above. I think they honestly don't want him in the outfield. So it might come down to how desparate they become as things move forward....

I doubt Wigginton would be any worse than either of the other 2 in left. While Wigginton would probably be the last pick of the 3 for many of us he would be cheaper so more money would be left to address ss.

Ohioballplayer
01-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Hopefully Abreu, if not, then EE, hoping Francisco could make a splash in ST and the Reds give him a shot at the hot corner.

jnwohio
01-17-2009, 03:16 PM

I doubt Wigginton would be any worse than either of the other 2 in left. While Wigginton would probably be the last pick of the 3 for many of us he would be cheaper so more money would be left to address ss.

Agree That Wiggington likely wouldn't be that much worse of an outfielder, particularly where Dunn is concerned. The distaste to having him in the outfield may be a negotiations posturing move by the Reds.

Unless the Reds take and make a trade for Nady or Swisher, I think Manny may be the key in all of this (and maybe even in whether they would give what it will take for Nady or Swisher). The Dodgers look like Dunn's only real last shot at a higher dollar long term deal in this off season. He is going to wait them out on Manny.

If that door closes for Dunn, then he is probably looking for the best one year guaranteed deal he can get with lots of performance incentives on the side in hopes of being positioned for a big multi year deal after the season. However, at his age teams probably want a 2 year deal with an option on the third year (if you don't want to keep him the entire time, he is still good trade bait so long as he hits 40 homers and OBP's at his career rate. Look how the Reds made out like bandits on him last year). On the other hand, Abreu probably wants a two year deal or at least a juicy second year on option against a big buy out. So it might come down to not just money for 2009.

I kind of feel like there is something going on behind the scenes. Otherwise I'd think they would sign Wiggington and figure they were set in left with a platoon of Wiggington and Dickerson.

gedred69
01-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Fransico has tantalizing ability, but still has much to learn. He would be over-matched at the MLB level a significant % of the time. Let the Minors hitting instructors work with him a little longer. Of all the Reds prospects, Fay quoted some Minor league monitoring site where they said of all the Reds prospects, Dorn was the only guy they saw who could maybe come to the plate at GABP this season, and NOT be over-matched. (Too bad he's another LH bat).....

TheNext44
01-17-2009, 03:38 PM

I thought the quote Jocketty gave Mark Sheldon about a possible Dunn return was interesting. Jocketty said he was "pessimistic" such a thing would happen because of the money Dunn was still looking for. Jocketty is usually pretty carefull with his words; and it seems to me pessimistic is not a word you use for something you consider out of the question. If there is no way, you say doubtfull or I don't think so or not interested etc. Or how about we've turned that page and are looking to the future.... On the other hand if you were trying to leverage somebody in the same general salary range as Dunn, say Abreu for example, you just might want to sound the least little bit interested in Dunn. So I think he has interest in one or both of Dunn and Abreu (obviously would only sign one).

I saw this as encouraging too. Dunn, according to MLBTR, is looking for 4 years/$56M. Considering what Burrell and Bradley got, Dunn should be very happy with 4 years/$45M, and I think Walt only wants to sign him to a two year deal.

The longer Dunn holds out, the worse his bargaining position is. If he is not signed by Spring Training, when they start cutting paychecks, he will lose money, plus most teams will have filled their needs by then. If he waits too long, he might have to take a real cheap one year contract, just to play and be paid.
The Reds can always get by with what they have, and then get a big bat if they need it midseason. It is kinda like buying a scalped ticket to a game (not that I would ever do that ;)) The fan can miss the first inning, but the scalper doesn't want to eat the ticket. If you buy your ticket right when they sing the National Anthem, you can get a great deal, again not that I am endorsing something like that.