PDA

View Full Version : What if Dunn falls in our lap?

Maldez
01-04-2009, 05:24 PM
I was one of the many happy to see Adam Dunn finally out of Cincinnati and on his way to Arizona last season. Yeah, he hits 40 HRs every year and gets on base a lot by walking, but other than that all you get for your $12M is a lumbering left fielder who strikes out a lot.

Just seemed to me that $12M could be spent in much better ways.

But what if the market for Adam Dunn just collapses? What if there are no takers at $16M a year. None at $12M. None at even $10M a year. Would you want Adam Dunn back in a Red's uni for three years at like $8M per season?

I'd say at that price, with Cincy's shortage of outfielders and the fan base he's already got here, it would be almost impossible to say no. It'll be interesting to see how the bidding goes for big Adam but as of right now it doesn't look to be like a bull market for Dunn.

Orodle
01-04-2009, 05:48 PM
After how he talked about Cincinnati after leaving I cant see us bringing him back in any situation.

redsfanmia
01-04-2009, 05:56 PM
No thanks and good luck to Dunn. Reds fans need to move on and stop thinking about his guy.

TheBigLebowski
01-04-2009, 06:03 PM
I don't really want him back either.

dunner13
01-04-2009, 06:11 PM
At 8 mill a year, let me think.. yeh i'd take him back. Sure he said some stuff on the way out but when he jacks one on opening day that would all be forgotten. The problem we had in the past is we tried to build with dunn as our centerpiece, he is not. Look at philly last year, they had utley, howard, rollins then burrell. With bruce, votto then dunn we coudl be successful.

Newman4
01-04-2009, 06:28 PM
8 million per is a great deal. Even 10 million per is a bargain IMO.

biggestREDSfan
01-04-2009, 06:44 PM
If we could get Adam Dunn back for 8 million a year, I would snatch him up RIGHT NOW. Someone who hits alot of home runs, gets alot of rbi's and walks alot too would be a gift from God.
DUNN! Come back to Cincy! :beerme:

Jim
01-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Maybe he could learn to hit from the right side! ;)

Bip Roberts
01-04-2009, 06:55 PM
i dont want him in the middle of the line up all that much but id bat him 2nd and be pretty happy

DannyB
01-04-2009, 07:03 PM
i dont want him in the middle of the line up all that much but id bat him 2nd and be pretty happy

I'd rather see him there than Phillips

DannyB
01-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Just seemed to me that $12M could be spent in much better ways.

Thats only if they spend it.

Bip Roberts
01-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Well id rather see Votto edwin and bruce 3, 4, 5 for sure though

Ghosts of 1990
01-04-2009, 08:10 PM
It'd be a lot better then wishing for Andruw Jones or getting excited about the sparkling addition of Wily friggin Taveras!

Hybrid
01-04-2009, 09:00 PM
For $8 mil everything would be forgotten and I would welcome him back with open arms.

Herb Tarlek
01-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Defensively he is a nightmare to watch. If he could adapt to 1st base he would be valuable.
In the OF he is a downgrade.

At $10-12 million he would be useful due to his OBP and OPS. Anything more than that in this market just isn't worth it.

Abreu can probably be had for 2 years/$20 million and he is a more rounded player.

benchrosemorgan
01-04-2009, 09:18 PM
turn the page people!!!

redsfan1966
01-04-2009, 09:26 PM
if Dunn falls in our lap---we stand up and kick him out the flippin door....

Chi-Town Red
01-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Hes not coming back

reds1869
01-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Hes not coming back

This is the Reds...you've been tainted by logical thinking in Chicago. Everyone loses their minds when they enter the 275 loop. Hence the reason I think Dunn will be on the roster Opening Day. I hope I'm wrong, but I just have one of those Dusty like hunches.

Ghosts of 1990
01-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Dunn will stay healthy for 160 games.

Abreu and many other targeted are no guaruntee and once they put on the Red uniform will probably only be good for 100 games.

Captain Hook
01-04-2009, 10:25 PM
We will all probably miss Dunn this year, even the people that were glad to see him gone.I think that there is very little to no chance that he comes back.

Jerry Narron
01-04-2009, 10:37 PM
After how he talked about Cincinnati after leaving I cant see us bringing him back in any situation.
What did he say? I must have missed that.

mroby85
01-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Will the Dunn saga ever end? lol

I think all posts that include the words Adam or Dunn should be deleted, because he's no longer a part of this team, and it's an argument that will never be settled, lol.

(I don't really think that, it just seems the Dunn talk won't ever go away)

Slyder
01-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Why not bring Dunn back? :D He'd add power and if he's open to it and Votto isnt worse in LF bat Dunn 2nd and let Votto, Bruce, Edwin, etc bat behind him and actual have someone on base in front of them. He is what he is. About time the Reds started thinking outside the box. Maybe even so much so that theyd bat the pitcher 8th!!!

ChatterRed
01-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Can we move on and forget about Dunn? He's dunn with the Reds.

Roush's socks
01-05-2009, 12:09 AM
For 8 million I think they would do it, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't get offered more.

fadetoblack2880
01-05-2009, 12:54 AM
turn the page people!!!

same can be said for harangs extra inning outing last year. i've never seen a group of people dwell on past failures and mistakes like some of the people on here. i was a dunn fan, but he's gone. he doesn't fit jocketty's mold well and he won't be back.

redsfandan
01-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Adam Dunn's Price Might Be Falling
By Drew Silva [January 19 at 5:11pm CST]
Chico Harlan of the Washington Post was told by an agent Monday that believes Adam Dunn "will get a max of $5MM per year."

"Anything more than that and I'd be surprised," added the unnamed agent. Dunn is reportedly still seeking a four-year, $56MM deal. Harlan notes that there are no big market teams in the running and he's highly unlikely to get those desired figures. "That's why Dunn just might end up in Washington, the one team that unequivocally wants the guy," the report concludes.

It seems a few players (Dunn, Abreu, etc) may be out there for awhile (another month or more?) until they lower their price(s).

Emin3mShady07
01-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Defensively he is a nightmare to watch. If he could adapt to 1st base he would be valuable.
In the OF he is a downgrade.

At $10-12 million he would be useful due to his OBP and OPS. Anything more than that in this market just isn't worth it.

Abreu can probably be had for 2 years/$20 million and he is a more rounded player.

Abreu is more rounded in what sense? He doesn't strike out as much and hits for a decent average I'm guessing, but Abreu is just as bad of an outfielder on defense, if not worse. Going by wOBA Dunn has been a better hitter over the last 4 years, so all other things equal, I'd rather have Dunn.

Newman4
01-19-2009, 09:00 PM
It seems a few players (Dunn, Abreu, etc) may be out there for awhile (another month or more?) until they lower their price(s).

Wow, 5 million? Walt, c'mon? Right now you have Norris out there in LF

Ghosts of 1990
01-20-2009, 02:28 AM
Talk of Dunn getting $5 million a year at most:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2009/01/the_market_for_adam_dunn.html

mlh1981
01-22-2009, 12:10 AM
I think we need to move on. It wasn't directly HIS fault that we were playing losing baseball all the years he was there, but I think that if you aren't part of the solution (and he never proved to be), then you are part of the problem. For all the things he did well, he couldn't hit for average, showed no instincts on the basepaths, and was a horrible fielder.

mikemo14
01-22-2009, 12:22 AM
Dunn could fit in nicely with some teams but is not a good fit for the Reds. The Reds need a contact hitter with power in Dunns place. I would love to see Abreu. I think he would hit 25 plus at GABP and with his average with RISP could knock in 110 to 120. Maybe Walt will pull one off at the last moment.

Emin3mShady07
01-22-2009, 12:31 AM
I think we need to move on. It wasn't directly HIS fault that we were playing losing baseball all the years he was there, but I think that if you aren't part of the solution (and he never proved to be), then you are part of the problem. For all the things he did well, he couldn't hit for average, showed no instincts on the basepaths, and was a horrible fielder.

Well, in Dunn's defense, he was doing quite a good job for a long time with the reds and with the pitching they had during his tenure there wasn't much he could do. Take St. Louis this year for example. Pujols was by far the best position player in the majors hands down, but even his great might couldn't get the cardinals into the playoffs, so one could argue that he wasn't "part of the solution" but in reality he was a bigger part to his teams success than anyone else for their respective teams. I'm not saying that Dunn is as good as Pujols, because he certainly isn't, its just that he was a very good player and his contributions should not be overlooked because the teams he played on were bad.

Dunn could fit in nicely with some teams but is not a good fit for the Reds. The Reds need a contact hitter with power in Dunns place. I would love to see Abreu. I think he would hit 25 plus at GABP and with his average with RISP could knock in 110 to 120. Maybe Walt will pull one off at the last moment.

See the thing to me is that Dunn is younger and shockingly a better defender than Abreu so if the reds sign a LH OFer, it really should be Dunn and not abreu. I understand that batting average has its benefits and Dunn should not be hitting 4th or 5th, but he is still a better player than abreu.

Captain Hook
01-22-2009, 01:24 AM
I have not been a big fan of bringing Dunn back but for 5 0r 6 mil in 09 I would take him in a heart beat.It would certainly make what was once a weakness a strength.I'd take Dunn,Bruce and WT starting with Dickerson,Gomes and Harrison backing them up all day.I still think it will never happen.

Slyder
01-22-2009, 02:29 AM
swap Tavares with Dickerson and you have mine. Might as well see what Dickerson offers with pitchers getting a 2nd look at him now.