PDA

View Full Version : LF Poll

reds44
01-04-2009, 08:21 PM
There are three names out there that the Reds have connected to as of late, Ty Wigginton, Andruw Jones, and Rocco Baldelli. Adding in Dickerson, Hopper and just for arguments sakes Alonso and Owings (I realize Walt hasn't even talked about either as a LF or 1B option for the upcoming season), who would you like to see in LF?

corkedbat
01-04-2009, 08:26 PM
I'd rather have Baldelli and Wiggington for depth. I don't want to think about Owings as a full time bat, until we see how his piching comes around. His bat is even more valuable has a good-hitting pitcher (starting or from the pen) and part-time PHer, IMO - I'd prefer Jermanine Dye or David Dejesus, but they're not listed. If you shifted Votto to LF, I'd prefer Giambi. I want Alfonso to at least start the season in AA.

dougdirt
01-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Dickerson. I would rather not waste any more money on players that won't make the difference and no one on that list is going to make enough of a difference for the 2009 Cincinnati Reds.

RedsManRick
01-04-2009, 08:38 PM
What Doug said. With Taveras as the CF and nowhere else to upgrade barring a massive trade, go big or go home. I see no big in that last, so I'm going home.

membengal
01-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Me too. Punt and go home. Dickerson in LF, see what happens.

camisadelgolf
01-04-2009, 09:02 PM
I went with Baldelli. If he busts, it won't cripple the bank, and if he's good, he can be traded for prospects.

edabbs44
01-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Baldelli if he is cheap, Dickerson if he is not.

sonny
01-04-2009, 09:07 PM
I went with baldelli, playing after a life changing disease, now that's scrappy!

RedEye
01-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Burrell should probably be on the list. I voted for Rocco.

HokieRed
01-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Against right-handers, I want the guy who put up an. 883 OPS last year in 349 PA despite a .258 BAbip: Jim Edmonds. And on the days when he's there, Chris Dickerson would be in CF.

Jpup
01-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Abreu.

Razor Shines
01-04-2009, 10:59 PM
I went with "holy crap, the Reds are really going to suck this year".

Jpup
01-04-2009, 11:02 PM
I went with "holy crap, the Reds are really going to suck this year".

:lol:

*BaseClogger*
01-05-2009, 01:10 AM
Ty Wigginton (based on the premise he plays 3B and EE plays LF). Sign him and after he produces and trade him for prospects...

KronoRed
01-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Adam Dunn, with Dickerson in CF and Taveras a Cardinal.

Stormy
01-16-2009, 11:55 PM
You know, it's a shame how convoluted this process has become. Walt has so far managed to completely muddle what should have been one of the easier Reds' offseasons in recent memory.

* Resist the temptation to go looking for a lesser CF solution, when you already have a superior solution in-house.

* Find the most suitable power bat available for LF (preferably, but not necessarily RHH) whether that be Dye, a mid-tier FA signing, or by bringing the LHH Dunn back etc...

* Make one trade, either prospect based or SP based, to land yourself an upgrade like Escobar at SS.

* And continue to add to your bullpen as an area of strength.

You could do 3/4 of those on auto-pilot, leaving you an entire offseason to basically use some resources to upgrade the SS position. Instead, all of the above have either been bungled, or left unaddressed to this point, and I'm somewhat expectant that we won't see a positive resolution of them prior to the season. I thought it would be hard for any GM to somehow top the aimlessness of an O'Brien or Krivsky offseason, but so far this takes the cake.

Walt can still rectify this, as it's such a simplistic task, but time is starting to run short on improving this team before Spring Training.

I would have been somewhat happy with Dunn or Dye, Dickerson, Bruce in the OF... which unlike our current configuration would have maximized our offense, at little cost. Instead, we've downgraded CF, displaced Dickerson, and still don't have anything resembling a middle of the order RHH power bat. It's an embarrassment.

Topcat
01-17-2009, 05:11 AM
Franscisco to left and he keeps the run on surprise guys with over the top production unexpected year 3 in a row!

camisadelgolf
01-17-2009, 05:57 AM
Francisco gets on base too much to fit in Dusty Baker's game plan.

Redhook
01-17-2009, 08:37 AM
I still want Abreu in LF and I'm crossing my fingers that Taveras stubs a toe in Spring Training to open the door for Dickerson.

pahster
01-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Francisco gets on base too much to fit in Dusty Baker's game plan.

I dunno, he's got a career .303 OBP in the minors. :p:

WebScorpion
01-20-2009, 10:48 AM
You know, it's a shame how convoluted this process has become. Walt has so far managed to completely muddle what should have been one of the easier Reds' offseasons in recent memory.

* Resist the temptation to go looking for a lesser CF solution, when you already have a superior solution in-house.

* Find the most suitable power bat available for LF (preferably, but not necessarily RHH) whether that be Dye, a mid-tier FA signing, or by bringing the LHH Dunn back etc...

* Make one trade, either prospect based or SP based, to land yourself an upgrade like Escobar at SS.

You could do 3/4 of those on auto-pilot, leaving you an entire offseason to basically use some resources to upgrade the SS position. Instead, all of the above have either been bungled, or left unaddressed to this point, and I'm somewhat expectant that we won't see a positive resolution of them prior to the season. I thought it would be hard for any GM to somehow top the aimlessness of an O'Brien or Krivsky offseason, but so far this takes the cake.

Walt can still rectify this, as it's such a simplistic task, but time is starting to run short on improving this team before Spring Training.

I would have been somewhat happy with Dunn or Dye, Dickerson, Bruce in the OF... which unlike our current configuration would have maximized our offense, at little cost. Instead, we've downgraded CF, displaced Dickerson, and still don't have anything resembling a middle of the order RHH power bat. It's an embarrassment.

I've reserved judgement on Walt because it's kind of unfair to judge a guy before the first team he puts together takes the field, but this is beginning to feel familiar. At the beginning of the off-season the team a has a few glaring needs which the reigning GM correctly diagnoses giving us hope for next season. All off-season the GM continues to state the glaring problem(s) is his number one priority while making moves which seem counter productive to the goal of winning baseball games. We hope he's got a last minute ace hidden up his sleeve since all the moves he's made add up to nothing or less than nothing going into Spring Training. We go into the regular season with that Charlie Brown feeling...wondering how Lucy got us to try kicking that ball again only to pull it back at the last second. After the season ends exactly how we'd expect it after not filling any of our glaring holes, we start over again. AUGH!
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-char067.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Oh, as far as the poll goes...haven't we already done one of these? IMO, there aren't enough options listed so I didn't answer the poll. I have about 5 other options which come before any of the ones listed...trades for Hermida, and then Dye would lead my list.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-char144.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Cyclone792
01-20-2009, 10:55 AM

I missed this a few days ago, but this sums up perfectly how this offseason has turned out thus far. The basic structure was built, and this roster only needed a few transactions to move the structure from a frame to a full-fledged contender.

Instead the Reds have flopped. As mth alluded to in another thread, the Reds' punt has been blocked and returned for a touchdown, and now we have Cubs fans rushing the field and dancing in the endzone.

bucksfan
01-20-2009, 10:53 PM

Ya' know, that's really how it feels to me despite my forced optimism. I thought the SS thing may end up as status quo, but I really thought we would see a more firm resolution in the OF, namely "Dunn or Dye, Dickerson, Bruce" as you state. But as it is I feel like I just keep hoping the off-season won't end this way.