PDA

View Full Version : Heroic landing

cincrazy
01-16-2009, 11:57 PM
How about Chesley Sullenberger? Landing a plane in the middle of the Hudson River in NYC in the dead of winter with complete engine failure, saving all 155 people on board.

Maybe there isn't such thing as a "clutch" hitter in baseball, but I think we can all agree that what Mr. Sullenberger did was indeed the epitome of clutch.

GoReds33
01-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Indeed, this man was terrific. He should get some kind of recognition.

redsfandan
01-17-2009, 02:19 AM
Have him be in the inauguration parade so he can get some thanks from the masses.

Ltlabner
01-17-2009, 09:21 AM
It's an amazing feat of airmanship to land a commercial airliner, without any power, on water, with no casualties. Certainly there was some luck involved, but the pilot's skills put them in a position to capitalize on that luck.

Razor Shines
01-17-2009, 11:45 AM
It's an amazing feat of airmanship to land a commercial airliner, without any power, on water, with no casualties. Certainly there was some luck involved, but the pilot's skills put them in a position to capitalize on that luck.

You think him having his glider's license helped any?

redhawkfish
01-17-2009, 02:55 PM
CNN's website has the only video I have seen of the plane landing on the water. Amazing!

GoReds33
01-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Here's a video of the crash. It's not close up, it's a security camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BqL0sZzEto&eurl=http://video.aol.com/video-detail/video-shows-actual-crash-of-us-airways-flight-1549-as-it-hits-the-water/4234306443/?icidiurl=http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/3BqL0sZzEto/hqdefault.jpg

redsmetz
01-18-2009, 01:59 PM
The more I read about this, the more astounding it is. The pilot in his testimony yesterday stated he picked an area of the Hudson where the ferries operate to expedite the rescue. The ferry operators who jumped into action (apparently they practice these things). Their passengers who helped pull people from the water and gave them their coats and warmed their hands. And, frankly, from what I've read, this pilot was probably the perfect pilot to have landing this thing. All in all, it gives you renewed faith in humanity.

RedFanAlways1966
01-18-2009, 03:21 PM
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwIe-e7Apkc[/URL]

This one is the best I can find. Shows it hitting water to being rescued in ferry boats. I am amazed at the quickness of the people on the plane to get out, be orderly and get rafts ready . Also the rescue boats getting there so quickly and the aligning/driving of the boats with the fast current. In the video the plane hits water on the left side of the shot at exactly 2:00 of the video. From there you can see how things happened...

* 2:08-to-2:15 (10 seconds after hitting), the plane stops and is moving only by the fast current of river.
* 2:38 (35 seconds after hitting water), you can see about 10 people already out on the right wing and about 5 people on the left wing.
* 3:11 (1:10 sec after hitting water), guy on far right wing slips and falls into water. Within 20 seconds a guy gets out there and helps get the man back onto the wing. Interesting to watch.
* 3:50 (1:50 after hitting water), you see the 1st ferry racing out. 10 seconds later (2:00 after hitting) you can see about 40-50 people total out of the plane.
* 4:50 (2:50 after hitting), looks like they have life rafts ready to board. Looks like two of them on the right side (one on each side of wing).
* 6:30 (4:30 after hitting), people on the right wing start boarding a boat.
* 8:30 (6:30 after hitting), a 2nd boat makes contact with left wing. People start boarding after about a minute. You can see how hard the current makes it for the boats. The right side wing looses contact for awhile here as the 1st boat drifts away.
* 9:45 (7:45 after hitting), a 3rd boat makes contact at the tail section.

RedFanAlways1966
01-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Above is the best I can find. Shows it hitting water to being rescued in ferry boats. I am amazed at the quickness of the people on the plane to get out, be orderly and get rafts ready . Also the rescue boats getting there so quickly and the aligning/driving of the boats with the fast current. In the video the plane hits water on the left side of the shot at exactly 2:00 of the video. From there you can see how things happened...

* 2:08-to-2:15 (10 seconds after hitting), the plane stops and is moving only by the fast current of river.
* 2:38 (35 seconds after hitting water), you can see about 10 people already out on the right wing and about 5 people on the left wing.
* 3:11 (1:10 sec after hitting water), guy on far right wing slips and falls into water. Within 20 seconds a guy gets out there and helps get the man back onto the wing. Interesting to watch.
* 3:50 (1:50 after hitting water), you see the 1st ferry racing out. 10 seconds later (2:00 after hitting) you can see about 40-50 people total out of the plane.
* 4:50 (2:50 after hitting), looks like they have life rafts ready to board. Looks like two of them on the right side (one on each side of wing).
* 6:30 (4:30 after hitting), people on the right wing start boarding a boat.
* 8:30 (6:30 after hitting), a 2nd boat makes contact with left wing. People start boarding after about a minute. You can see how hard the current makes it for the boats. The right side wing looses contact for awhile here as the 1st boat drifts away.
* 9:45 (7:45 after hitting), a 3rd boat makes contact at the tail section.