PDA

View Full Version : Cincinnati Reds help DeGeneres land Clooney

GAC
01-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Just read this. Thought it was of an interesting read.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iZj4TD7DIFlHx91OCgnDH1-xiVOQD95OSKH80

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/media/ALeqM5jO5YgOYIfGgsDId3emuOu1kI_P5A?size=m

CINCINNATI (AP) Ellen DeGeneres, who made it her mission to snare actor George Clooney for her daytime television show, finally has him on board.
No lure worked until Clooney jumped at the chance to appear with Cincinnati Reds Hall of Famers Johnny Bench and Joe Morgan.
DeGeneres had conducted a "George Watch '08" campaign to get Clooney. Her theme this year was "George Clooney Is Mine In '09."
Clooney's "ER" co-star Noah Wyle told DeGeneres that some Big Red Machine players from the 1970s might pique Clooney's interest because he grew up around Cincinnati and is a big Reds fan.
Team executives helped line up the appearance by the baseball players.
The show was taped Thursday in Burbank, Calif., and will be broadcast Monday.

GADawg
01-17-2009, 08:23 AM
does Ellen have to give up a draft pick for landing Clooney?

missionhockey21
01-17-2009, 08:24 AM
It's really nice to know that you can be handsome, rich and desired by many but still completely miserable. :p:

We're all suffering with you George.

oneupper
01-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Maybe Clooney can help the REDS land a LF now.

macro
01-17-2009, 10:10 AM
It's great to see these guys appearing in public in their Reds jerseys! I've never been to any of the BRM reunions, but I'm assuming they appear in street clothes, like all other card shows. It would be more fulfilling to see them in uniform.

westofyou
01-17-2009, 10:37 AM
I got an email from the Reds Staff concerning this yesterday AM... did anyone else? And why did I? This is not the first time the Reds PR staff has sent me stuff prior to the press release either.

lollipopcurve
01-17-2009, 10:41 AM
I got an email from the Reds Staff concerning this yesterday AM... did anyone else? And why did I? This is not the first time the Reds PR staff has sent me stuff prior to the press release either.

The Reds know talent.

I did not get the notice.

I(heart)Freel
01-17-2009, 11:30 AM
It's really nice to know that you can be handsome, rich and desired by many but still completely miserable. :p:

Don't be a hater. George never appears miserable or gives off those airs. One of the few celebs who "get it." And if his celebrity in a roundabout way sells a few more Reds jerseys or makes a few kids curious about the BRM, I'm cool with that.

Highlifeman21
01-17-2009, 11:51 AM
does Ellen have to give up a draft pick for landing Clooney?

Was he a type A or type B?

Highlifeman21
01-17-2009, 11:52 AM
It's great to see these guys appearing in public in their Reds jerseys! I've never been to any of the BRM reunions, but I'm assuming they appear in street clothes, like all other card shows. It would be more fulfilling to see them in uniform.

And they're definitely filling their unis....

Hey Joe, stay away from the buffet!

missionhockey21
01-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Don't be a hater. George never appears miserable or gives off those airs. One of the few celebs who "get it." And if his celebrity in a roundabout way sells a few more Reds jerseys or makes a few kids curious about the BRM, I'm cool with that.
Wow.

No hating here. Merely a tongue in cheek joke that George Clooney, despite his wealth and winning smile is just as miserable as all other Reds fans as he shares in the suffering of losing season after losing season. A brother in arms if you will. So yeah, I was totally hating on the man.

redsmetz
01-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Cincinnati Reds executives here offered to enlist Bench and Morgan - who both live in California - in early December. They called the show the day Clooney's friend and former "ER" co-star Noah Wyle told DeGeneres that some Big Red Machine players from the 1970s might be irresistible to the Kentucky native.

"Johnny was ready to do it as soon as I talked to him," said Karen Forgus, Reds senior vice president of business operations. "Ellen" producers "were flabbergasted when we said we'd get them some people."

The stunt was put on hold until Tuesday, when DeGeneres producers told the Reds that Clooney would be in his Warner Bros. office on Thursday. Within 48 hours, Bench and Morgan were in Reds uniforms playing catch outside Clooney's bungalow for "Ellen" cameras. Bench told Forgus on Thursday night, after the taping, that "George was great, and such a good sport.''

There was a longer story in today's Enquirer. I like that the Reds took the lead on this, getting the brand out there. Pretty funny that Bench and Morgan were just playing catch outside Clooney's office. That'll get his attention!

I agree that Clooney seems like a pretty down to earth guy, knows his roots back here. I like too that he's looked out for other folks. He got his aunt, Rosemary Clooney, to come back and act on E.R., a role that she won an Emmy for. He's also included his cousin (her son) in some of his productions, although I should note that his cousin is a fine actor in his own right (and a dead ringer for his dad - whereas Clooney as they same eyes as Rosemary Clooney).

macro
01-17-2009, 08:09 PM
And they're definitely filling their unis....

Hey Joe, stay away from the buffet!

Is he still called "Little" Joe?

GAC
01-18-2009, 03:54 AM
Is he still called "Little" Joe?

There's only one "Little Joe"

http://www.tvland.com/photogallery/photos/LittleJoe.jpg

Joe's is more the Carl Winslow type

http://www.nndb.com/people/045/000108718/reginald-veljohnson.jpg

Unassisted
01-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Seeing Ellen hold that photo made me think of this. I bet ol' #14 would have been available for this gig if he'd been asked. Would have been a great opportunity to hawk his wares. ;)

Chip R
01-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Seeing Ellen hold that photo made me think of this. I bet ol' #14 would have been available for this gig if he'd been asked. Would have been a great opportunity to hawk his wares. ;)

So to speak. ;)

smith288
01-19-2009, 08:14 AM

He may be miserable, but he can make the most famous lesbians swoon. That's saying something.

Red in Chicago
01-19-2009, 04:18 PM
I can't believe I'm watching this horrible show right now, just to see Bench and Morgan.:ughmamoru

Highlifeman21
01-19-2009, 04:44 PM
I can't believe I'm watching this horrible show right now, just to see Bench and Morgan.:ughmamoru

Admit it, you're watching Clooney

RedsFan75
01-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Got to admit, when I got home early yesterday, first thing I did was turn on this show.

First time I watched, and probably the last, but I wanted to see my childhood heroes so much I watched. It was all done so tongue in cheek and so 'fun' it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

macro
01-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Forgive me for going into "uniform nut" mode, but did anyone notice the horrible jersey Bench was wearing? Morgan's was fairly close to authentic, but Bench's had a WAY too wide white stripe in the neck (it was supposed to be a pinstripe), two red stripes on the sleeves (they only had one throughout the BRM era), an oversized C-Reds logo on the chest, and lettering on the back that looked nothing like the font the team actually used?

You can see some of this in the photo GAC posted in this thread, but if you have it recorded, take another look and you'll see it more clearly. Not sure who was responsible, but it may have been something that Johnny pulled off the wall at his house and brought with him. Either way, it looked pretty rough to those of us who notice such things. :D

dsmith421
01-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Forgive me for going into "uniform nut" mode, but did anyone notice the horrible jersey Bench was wearing?

It was one of those cheap jerseys you see on eBay that have the player's statistics and so forth printed on them. I can't imagine why anyone would want one, but who knows... You would think (at minimum) they could have gotten Johnny a current replica.

RANDY IN INDY
01-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Forgive me for going into "uniform nut" mode, but did anyone notice the horrible jersey Bench was wearing? Morgan's was fairly close to authentic, but Bench's had a WAY too wide white stripe in the neck (it was supposed to be a pinstripe), two red stripes on the sleeves (they only had one throughout the BRM era), an oversized C-Reds logo on the chest, and lettering on the back that looked nothing like the font the team actually used?

You can see some of this in the photo GAC posted in this thread, but if you have it recorded, take another look and you'll see it more clearly. Not sure who was responsible, but it may have been something that Johnny pulled off the wall at his house and brought with him. Either way, it looked pretty rough to those of us who notice such things. :D

It was really bad.:shocked:

WebScorpion
01-21-2009, 12:13 PM

I watched it and thought it was great. Joe and Johnny are just having a catch outside George's office with their Reds jerseys on and George pops his head out and they say, "We sure could use another person to toss with..." :laugh:

Then later as Ellen is giving George gifts... Autographed bats and such, he gets to a framed black and white photo of the Great Eight and he's counting off the signatures, "There's Joe, and Johnny, and George, and Davey, and that other guy..." as he points to Pete Rose. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing010.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

I thought it was great to see Joe and Johnny... I just wish Clooney would send me that signed photo of the Great Eight. That represents my entire youth and the beginning of my illogical love affair with baseball and the Reds. :luvu: