PDA

View Full Version : Could Reds Be Closing In On Nady Or Swisher?

Krusty
01-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Seems like the Yankees might be willing to move either Nady or Swisher. But do the Reds have anything that the Yankees would want? IMO, I think Nady might be a better fit for this season even if he is only a one year rental.

Yankees Hearing Offers for Swisher and Nady
Sign In to E-Mail or Save This Print Reprints Share
LinkedinDiggFacebookMixxYahoo! BuzzPermalinkBy TYLER KEPNER
Published: January 16, 2009

On his official Web site, Nick Swisher is depicted in a Yankees uniform, staring out at a pitcher as he wags his bat over his head. The photo has obviously been altered — Swisher has a beard, for one thing — and the scene it depicts may never come to pass.

The Yankees acquired first baseman Nick Swisher from the White Sox in November, before they had a deal with Mark Teixeira.

General Manager Brian Cashman is spending much of his time fielding calls from teams interested in Swisher or Xavier Nady. One or the other became expendable when the Yankees signed Mark Teixeira to an eight-year, $180 million contract last week.

With Teixeira entrenched at first base, Swisher became an ex-Yankee first baseman before he ever took the field in pinstripes. But Swisher can also play right field, where Nady has been expected to take over for Bobby Abreu.

Because of the obvious surplus, many teams — the Cincinnati Reds, the San Francisco Giants, the Atlanta Braves and the Washington Nationals, among others — have been linked to one player or the other. Cashman almost never reveals specifics of trade talks, but he said most reports of interested teams have been accurate.

Cashman has a commodity to deal, and he is taking time exploring his options. There seems to be no rush to make a move.

“It depends on the trade talk,” Cashman said. “If we feel there’s a benefit, we’ll make a move. That’s basically it. We’re in a position where we don’t have to make a move, so that’s a strong position to be in. We could have them all year. We’re not going to do anything unless there’s a reason to do it.”

Swisher came from the Chicago White Sox in a November trade. Nady was Cashman’s major acquisition last July, in a trade with the Pittsburgh Pirates. Both can play either corner outfield position but, like Johnny Damon, are not under consideration to start in center.

Damon is entering the final season of his contract, and the Yankees believe he is invaluable as a leadoff man. Damon is not being shopped, and the Yankees have no plans to trade designated hitter Hideki Matsui, who is coming off knee surgery and has a full no-trade clause.

That leaves Swisher and Nady, and Cashman said there was no preference for trading one over the other; it would depend on what a team offers in return. For several reasons, though, it seems more prudent to hold on to Swisher and dangle Nady.

Swisher, a 28-year-old switch-hitter, is two years younger than Nady and is signed for three more seasons at roughly $21 million. Nady, 30, is a right-handed hitter who is eligible for free agency after the season. He is represented by Scott Boras, who rarely agrees to a long-term deal before a player explores the open market.

Nady had a better season than Swisher last year, batting .305 with 25 home runs and 97 runs batted in — all career highs. Swisher had the worst of his five seasons, hitting just .219 with 24 homers and 69 R.B.I. But Swisher’s on-base percentage, .332, was actually better than Nady’s .320 figure over two months with the Yankees.

In that way, Swisher profiles better as the kind of player the Yankees seek for their lineup. He saw an average of 4.53 pitches per plate appearance last season, leading the major leagues in that category. Nady averaged 3.65 pitches per plate appearance. Among Yankees, only Robinson Canó (3.35 pitches) was worse.

Trading Swisher or Nady — who is eligible for salary arbitration after earning $3.35 million last season — would reduce the payroll, which stands at just under $200 million. But while Cashman said that would be a benefit of a deal, it would not be a reason to do it. Either way, he said, the Yankees will come in below last year’s $209 million payroll.

The Yankees have questions in center field and the fifth spot in the rotation, but Cashman said he was more worried about the recovery of catcher Jorge Posada and closer Mariano Rivera. Those are players whose production could not be easily replaced by a trade.

“Our catcher and closer are coming off shoulder surgeries,” Cashman said. “That’s what concerns me, and that’s what people should be focused on. Everything is coming along fine, but nobody usually has hiccups this early. Posada’s just throwing at 90 feet on flat ground and Mo’s not even throwing yet.”

Posada will not be able to catch by the exhibition opener Feb. 25, Cashman said, but he is on track to be ready for the regular-season opener April 6. Rivera does not throw in January even when he is healthy, so his schedule is not alarming. But it is Cashman’s job to fret.

“Mo’s surgery wasn’t as serious as Posada’s,” Cashman said. “But it’s still shoulder surgery.”

RedEye
01-17-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't think this article has much more to say than what we already knew.

Heath
01-17-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't think this article has much more to say than what we already knew.

I think Tyler Kepner looked over the shoulder of Mark Sheldon when he wrote this.

LoganBuck
01-17-2009, 01:39 PM
The Yankees have questions in center field

Ok, I am really reluctant to do this, but I will trade them Taveras for Nady if it comes to that.

RedLegSuperStar
01-17-2009, 02:49 PM
What about Roenicke and Stubbs for Nady?

_Sir_Charles_
01-17-2009, 03:09 PM
What about Roenicke and Stubbs for Nady?

That's quite a bit to give up for just one year of Nady, don't you think?

camisadelgolf
01-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Because of the obvious surplus, many teams — the Cincinnati Reds, the San Francisco Giants, the Atlanta Braves and the Washington Nationals, among others — have been linked to one player or the other. Cashman almost never reveals specifics of trade talks, but he said most reports of interested teams have been accurate.

lolBowden

Spitball
01-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Ok, I am really reluctant to do this, but I will trade them Taveras for Nady if it comes to that.

I don't think a free agent can be traded until sometime in June.

TRF
01-17-2009, 04:27 PM
That's quite a bit to give up for just one year of Nady, don't you think?

I'd do it. Offer Nady arbitration at the end of the season, and if 2009 is similar to 2008 he'll be a type A FA. Boras won't accept arb and the Reds get a comp pick.

win/win.

*BaseClogger*
01-17-2009, 04:58 PM
lolBowden

That should be an emoticon.

:lolbowden:

LoganBuck
01-17-2009, 10:53 PM
I'd do it. Offer Nady arbitration at the end of the season, and if 2009 is similar to 2008 he'll be a type A FA. Boras won't accept arb and the Reds get a comp pick.

win/win.

Boras will take the top dollar he can earn his player. If he had taken arbitration on several of his guys this offseason they would be making more money in the coming season, and be back on the market next winter, when maybe the market will have rebounded.

NJReds
01-18-2009, 08:42 AM
I said it in another thread. Deal Arroyo for Swisher and give Sheets a 2 year incentive laden deal and I'll be a lot happier heading into Spring Training.

deltachi8
01-18-2009, 10:11 AM
I said it in another thread. Deal Arroyo for Swisher and give Sheets a 2 year incentive laden deal and I'll be a lot happier heading into Spring Training.

The more I think of it, that would work for me.

Scrap Irony
01-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Sure it would. Got an extra $15 million?

I don't know if the Yanks and Reds line up just right, though I'd dangle David Weathers and Cordero, hoping they'd bite.

Cordero and Weathers for Hughes, Tabata, and Swisher.

Reds then sign Pena from the free agent list to close and convert Bailey to closer in waiting.

Spitball
01-18-2009, 10:31 AM

Tabata already has been traded in the Nady deal last summer.

jesusfan
01-18-2009, 10:41 AM
I would do Stubbs and Roenicke for Swisher, but not Nady... I keep Arroyo and hope he rebounds, even if he doesn't at least he's an innings eater. I take my chances going into the season with this:

1. Willy Taveras
2. Jay Bruce
3. Joey Votto
4. Edwin Encarnacion
5. Nick Swisher
6. Brandon Phillips
7. Alex Gonzalez/Hairston
8. Ramon Hernandez

SP- Volquez
SP- Harang
SP- Arroyo
SP- Cueto
SP- Owings

CL- Cordero
SU- Burton
R- Rhodes
R- Weathers
R- Lincoln
R- Massett
R- ?

NJReds
01-18-2009, 11:02 AM

I don't know if the Yanks and Reds line up just right, though I'd dangle David Weathers and Cordero, hoping they'd bite.

Reds then sign Pena from the free agent list to close and convert Bailey to closer in waiting.

I don't care about money. This team hasn't had a decent season in 10 years.

Yanks don't want Cordero and they don't want to trade Hughes.

They do want a veteran starter since Pettitte turned them down.

Jpup
01-19-2009, 09:20 AM

Then the Yanks don't have a 5th starter. I can't see any reason, unless Mo is not ready to come back, that the Yanks would want Cordero. You might get Phil Hughes if you send them back some starting pitching, such as Arroyo.

Scrap Irony
01-19-2009, 10:09 AM
You might not care about money, NJReds, but I'm pretty certain Jocketty and Castellini do, especially when considering the lack of a sure thing in that deal.

And, Jpup, Rivera had shoulder surgery this off-season and is 1,013 years old. (Okay, maybe not that old, but he's pushing 40.) Add those two factors to their propensity to try and one-up the Red Sox and the weakness of their pen and the Yanks would certainly see value in Cordero.

(Hughes' star, like Bailey's, has cooled quite a bit since last year at this time. He's available, don't kid yourself, and not for something as valuable to the Reds as Arroyo.)

Unassisted
01-19-2009, 10:11 AM
That should be an emoticon.

:lolbowden:I can has toolz?

RichRed
01-19-2009, 10:35 AM
I can has toolz?

Obsession with former Redz. I haz it.

NJReds
01-20-2009, 10:12 AM
You might not care about money, NJReds, but I'm pretty certain Jocketty and Castellini do, especially when considering the lack of a sure thing in that deal.

I'm not sure how you get that to add up to $15M.

Adding Swisher ($5.5M in '09) and removing Arroyo ($9.5M in '09) adds $4M to the Reds payroll.

Reports are that Sheets is looking for 2 years/$18 and a third year option.

So if the Reds were able to deal Arroyo for Swisher and sign Sheets, it'd cost them $5M in '09. Arroyo's scheduled to make $22M in 2010-11, which is more than Sheets is asking for.

It's far fetched to think it would happen, but if it doesn't happen it won't be because of the money.

Scrap Irony
01-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Sheets will make more than Arroyo and Swisher is close as well. That's at least $15 million over the run of years it would cost. And that's being conservative.

In short, it's too expensive, especially considering the lack of consumer confidence (and cash) in today's economy.

NJReds
01-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Sheets will make more than Arroyo and Swisher is close as well.

Swisher's making 5.3M next year. 2010:$6.75M, 20011:$9M,
2012:$10.25M club option ($1M buyout)

Arroyo's making $9.5M/$11M/$11M (could be $13M w/incentives)

The one report I read ... Heyman, I think ... said that Sheets was looking for 2 yrs - $18M w/an option for a third year. Based on his injury history, even if he gets that it'll be with incentive clauses.

I know it's not going to happen, but money isn't the reason why unless Sheets' demands have been grossly underreported. Usually, though, when agents leak that kind of info, it's inflated.

Cordero is making $12M for the next three years, and has a full no-trade clause this year and a limited no-trade clause after that.

Scrap Irony
01-20-2009, 09:37 PM
If Sheets only makes $8 million per year, I agree that the Reds are stupid for not offering more.

That said, there's no way Sheets makes less then $12 million in 2009 unless he's got to go under the knife and is not expected back by Opening Day. Texas might pay him $16 million per season for two years, but no way he agrees to $16 million over the next two years combined.

I(heart)Freel
01-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Yesterday's news was that Nady and Yanks agreed to a one year deal to avoid arbitration, for $6.65 mill.

Does this open up the trade talks, now that clubs know what they're dealing with?