PDA

View Full Version : Saturfay musings

nate
01-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Today, John Fay waxes (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a8c1fcd7e-b581-43c4-ac77-3ce82de935ff&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com) predictive:

For this Sunday's Reds Insider for the paper, I decided rather than to tell you what the Reds will do in four weeks leading up to spring training to tell you what they won't do. By doing so, I've greatly increased the chances of my predictions becoming true. The idea came from yesterday's post in which I said the club won't likely move Edwin Encarnacion to left. Here's some more things I think they won't do:

--They aren’t going to trade for or sign a veteran shortstop. Alex Gonzalez’s health remains a question. But. if he’s healthy, he’s going to play short. Gonzalez is the best offensive and defensive option at short. He hit .272 with 16 home runs and 55 RBI in 393 at-bats in 2007. Jeff Keppinger is a fan favorite, but he hit .266 with three homers and 43 RBI in 459 at-bats last year.

--The Reds aren’t going to trade Joey Votto. His name gets mentioned from time to time. But that’s just senseless speculation. “No chance,” Jocketty says. Yonder Alonso has 19 professional at-bats. The soonest he’ll be ready is 2010. The Reds will have to deal the two left-handed hitting first baseman issue then.

--The Reds aren’t going to move Micah Owings to left field. Owings may be the world’s best hitting pitcher, but the Reds intend to use him as a pitcher. He’ll be in the mix for the fifth starter spot. If he doesn’t win it, he’ll be in the bullpen. By the way, when Owings last pitched in relief, he was throwing 94-95.

--The Reds aren’t going to sign a veteran outfielder to a long-term deal. If they sign Bobby Abreu, which is a fairly slim possibility, I think it will be to a one-year deal.

--The Reds aren’t going to bring Ken Griffey Jr. or Adam Dunn back. The free agent market right now is about as good as the housing market, so either is available at a discount rate. But the Reds are set on moving beyond the Griffey-Dunn era.

Tom Servo
01-17-2009, 05:50 PM
He forgot the Reds aren't going to compete this year.

dougdirt
01-17-2009, 05:53 PM

Or he just didn't mention it. You have to write to your audience. Gloom and doom isn't a way to keep selling papers between now and April.

camisadelgolf
01-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Or he just didn't mention it. You have to write to your audience. Gloom and doom isn't a way to keep selling sports papers between now and April.

Caveat Emperor
01-17-2009, 06:44 PM

I think he just figured everyone already knew that at this point.

GADawg
01-17-2009, 08:19 PM
this horse has been dead for weeks I understand but still it ticks me off when people refer to Kepp's season long stats when clearly he was the best offensive player "we" had pre-injury....at least make some mention of the fact that he wasn't the same guy after his return.

Spitball
01-18-2009, 08:33 AM
Fay is probably correct here, but I think it is a bit early to call an end to off season activities by the Reds. There are a lot of unfinished stories out there.

My memory might be faulty, but it seems like a long time since we've seen this many unsigned starting players this late into January. Probably since the collusion winter of 1993-1994 when the Reds scooped up Tony Fernandez to play third and Benito Santiago to catch.

I don't think the Reds will make a major move, but they may surprise us by at least making an interesting signing like maybe a Mulder or Isringhuasen. The longer Edmonds, Millar, and Gomes hang around leaves some room for further action. And, though surely not to the Reds, but what about the Orlandos Hudson and Cabrera?

There may be a chance some player, probably one needing a good year to re-establish his value, will see what the GABP can do for offensive numbers and opt for a bargain contract to play in Cincy. Jocketty may very well be through, but I hope not. I can't give up on him this early. I still have to make it another month until spring training. ;)

Unassisted
02-02-2009, 04:48 PM
FThe longer Edmonds, Millar, and Gomes hang around leaves some room for further action.

Millar is close to signing an ml deal with Toronto.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090202&content_id=3791110&vkey=news_tor&fext=.jsp&c_id=tor&partnerId=rss_tor

RedEye
02-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by camisdelgolf
Or he just didn't mention it. You have to write to your audience. Gloom and doom isn't a way to keep selling sports papers between now and April.

You got that right. Man. I really find myself wishing these days that some of the doom and gloom could be lifted from the regular papers. Sheesh.

Thing is, though, sports has also been affected. I think that's why I've been so p.o.'ed at Cast and co. lately. I always like to think that that big sports franchises--heck, sports in general--should be isolated from the real economy. Apparently, that's proving not to be the case these days.