PDA

View Full Version : Who is Redszone's #37 prospect?

camisadelgolf
01-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Redszone's Top Prospects

Prospect #1 - Yonder Alonso
Prospect #2 - Todd Frazier
Prospect #3 - Neftali Soto
Prospect #4 - Drew Stubbs
Prospect #5 - Chris Valaika
Prospect #6 - Kyle Lotzkar
Prospect #7 - Daryl Thompson
Prospect #8 - Juan Francisco
Prospect #9 - Juan Duran
Prospect #10 - Chris Dickerson
Prospect #11 - Devin Mesoraco
Prospect #12 - Danny Dorn
Prospect #13 - Yorman Rodriguez
Prospect #14 - Zach Stewart
Prospect #15 - Josh Roenicke
Prospect #16 - Ramon Ramirez
Prospect #17 - Zach Cozart
Prospect #18 - Matt Maloney
Prospect #19 - Carlos Fisher
Prospect #20 - Chris Heisey
Prospect #21 - Ryan Hanigan
Prospect #22 - Dallas Buck
Prospect #23 - Adam Rosales
Prospect #24 - Alex Buchholz
Prospect #25 - Travis Wood
Prospect #26 - Jeremy Horst
Prospect #27 - Pedro Viola
Prospect #28 - Evan Hildenbrandt
Prospect #29 - Juan Carlos Sulbaran
Prospect #30 - Sam Lecure
Prospect #31 - Robert Manuel
Prospect #32 - Sean Henry
Prospect #33 - Danny Rae Herrera
Prospect #34 - Sean Watson
Prospect #35 - Ismael Guillon
Prospect #36 - Ben Jukich

OnBaseMachine
01-17-2009, 10:36 PM
I changed my mind. I'm going with Junior Arias instead of Mace Thurman. Arias signed for $330,000 but would have received more if not for an elbow injury. He's only 16 but he has a ton of potential.

Danny Serafini
01-18-2009, 02:13 AM
I'm going Wilkin Castillo until he gets in. I know some aren't thrilled about him getting Major League time, but the fact still remains that he was judged to be a Major League player, and most of the people on this list never will be.

camisadelgolf
01-18-2009, 02:37 AM
I'm going Wilkin Castillo until he gets in. I know some aren't thrilled about him getting Major League time, but the fact still remains that he was judged to be a Major League player, and most of the people on this list never will be.

That's not a bad choice, but in regards to the players with ML experience, I like Janish a bit more than Castillo.

Red Daddy
01-18-2009, 12:44 PM
How about Sappelt? He will dominate next year!!!!! Kirby Puckett JR!!

Danny Serafini
01-18-2009, 03:18 PM
That's not a bad choice, but in regards to the players with ML experience, I like Janish a bit more than Castillo.

For whatever reason I blanked on Janish still being on the list. To me those two have to be the next two choices.

camisadelgolf
01-18-2009, 06:54 PM
For whatever reason I blanked on Janish still being on the list. To me those two have to be the next two choices.

A lot of people think Janish doesn't qualify as a rookie because of his service team, but some of that time was in September, so he barely qualifies.

tripleaaaron
01-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Runoff? or Arias and move along.

camisadelgolf
01-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Runoff? or Arias and move along.

If the poll ended right now, I don't think we'd do a runoff.

dougdirt
01-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Wow... Junior Arias, really?
0 games played and a measely bonus of $300,000 gets you on ahead of guys like Valiquette, Carroll and Jordan Smith? Shiny new toy syndrome I guess.... but those guys are much better prospects than Arias is and its not close. Two of those guys can throw 95 MPH and have both been successful in High A and the other guy is a very good athlete with a good fastball who put up 3.60 ERA in A/A+ while allowing 4 HR in 130 innings.

JayBruceFan
01-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Im starting to wonder if the some of the people voting have even seen a Reds minor league game

Red Daddy
01-21-2009, 01:30 PM
I think its time to stop the survey. You guys have no clue who Junior is and yet you're voting for him over several good players that have a record based on his signing bonus!!?!?!?!?!? This is getting silly.

OnBaseMachine
01-21-2009, 01:44 PM
We have our opinion, you have yours.

camisadelgolf
01-21-2009, 01:45 PM
I think its time to stop the survey. You guys have no clue who Junior is and yet you're voting for him over several good players that have a record based on his signing bonus!!?!?!?!?!? This is getting silly.

I agree with you. If you're going to let signing bonus be a factor, I think you have to go with Matt Fairel before you go with Junior Arias.

OnBaseMachine
01-21-2009, 01:51 PM
I've exchanged some emails with guys like Ben Badler of BA and Kevin Goldstein of BP and both were pretty high on Arias. While Arias received only a $330,000 bonus, he would have gotten more if not for an elbow injury. Arias is considered a slick fielding shortstop with good potential in the bat. I'm a fan of Jordan Smith, Sappelt, and the others but I really like what I've heard about Arias.

dougdirt
01-21-2009, 01:51 PM
I agree with you. If you're going to let signing bonus be a factor, I think you have to go with Matt Fairel before you go with Junior Arias.

Several guys on the list got better signing bonuses than Arias, and they got draft bonus money, which is a lot different than international bonus money. International bonus money would likely be split in half had these guys been drafted because there is no open competition to get these guys at that point.

Mario-Rijo
01-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Im starting to wonder if the some of the people voting have even seen a Reds minor league game

I think that's only a part of it, you can watch plenty of games and still not know anything different if you don't know what to look for. I get to see only a limited amount of games myself but also combine that with as much scouting info and stats as I can get. I think most don't have enough info but go ahead and vote on what they do know. My plea to them would be ask about players if you don't know about them, we would like this list in the future to be as complete as possible.

OnBaseMachine
01-21-2009, 02:04 PM

Says the guy who thinks Justin Tordi is a good prospect. ;)

camisadelgolf
01-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Several guys on the list got better signing bonuses than Arias, and they got draft bonus money, which is a lot different than international bonus money. International bonus money would likely be split in half had these guys been drafted because there is no open competition to get these guys at that point.

I'm not sure if you're trying to agree with me, but that's what I had in mind when I said that. To be fair, only a couple of the remaining options got higher bonuses than Arias, though.

dougdirt
01-21-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm not sure if you're trying to agree with me, but that's what I had in mind when I said that. To be fair, only a couple of the remaining options got higher bonuses than Arias, though.

I was agreeing with you, but also pointing out that $300,000 on the open market is more like $150,000 in the draft. The money isn't created equally because teams are not bidding against other teams in the draft. So while he got $300,000 but MLB draftee only got $250,000.... that $250,000 is more significant than his $300,000.

JayBruceFan
01-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Says the guy who thinks Justin Tordi is a good prospect. ;)

You have said that twice now

He is better than Zach Cozart is defensively

Too bad he can't hit way out of a wet paper sack

OnBaseMachine
01-21-2009, 04:13 PM
He is better than Zach Cozart is defensively

Zach Cozart has been described as being one of the best defensive shortstops in the minors. He's drawn comparisons defensively to Adam Everett, an elite defensive SS in the majors. I doubt if Tordi is better than Cozart.

JayBruceFan
01-21-2009, 04:39 PM
http://jinaz-reds.blogspot.com/2008/02/most-valuable-infielders-2007-reds.html

OnBaseMachine
01-21-2009, 04:43 PM
http://jinaz-reds.blogspot.com/2008/02/most-valuable-infielders-2007-reds.html

Is that supposed to tell me something? I've read reports from Baseball Prospectus, Baseball America, and Redsof72. Zach Cozart is considered a plus defender at shortstop. I'll trust their opinions over old and unreliable minor league defensive stats.

JayBruceFan
01-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Reading reports is one thing but have you SEEN him play?

OnBaseMachine
01-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Reading reports is one thing but have you SEEN him play?

No, but I've heard from people who have and they all agree that Cozart is an excellent defensive shortstop.

BuckeyeRedleg
01-21-2009, 05:09 PM

What did Fairel sign for and where could one find this info on other signees?

Thanks.

camisadelgolf
01-21-2009, 07:32 PM
What did Fairel sign for and where could one find this info on other signees?

Thanks.

Matt Fairel signed for $250,000. (http://collegebaseball.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=839364) For the 2008 signees, I don't know of a singular source that has everything. Baseball America has released something for each of the past few years, though. I haven't seen one for 2008 yet, but here is a link for 2007's: http://www.baseballamerica.com/draftdb/2007team.php?team=CIN