PDA

View Full Version : 'Reds Rewind Classics' returns Monday

OnBaseMachine
01-17-2009, 11:11 PM
'Reds Rewind Classics' returns

By John Kiesewetter • jkiesewetter@enquirer.com • January 17, 2009

The Reds' boys of summer warm up cold winter nights starting Monday, with the second season premiere of "Reds Rewind Classics."
Advertisement

Nine games - including Jay Bruce's debut and Joey Votto's three-home run game - will air at 8 p.m. Mondays on Fox Sports Net Ohio well into the spring exhibition season. Jeff Piecoro hosts the series.

The lineup:

Monday: Joey Votto hits three homers out of Great American Ball Park as the Reds beat the Cubs 9-0 on May 7 last year.

Jan. 26: Ken Griffey Jr. singles in the winning run in a 10-inning home victory over the Brewers on April 20 last year.

Feb. 2: Game 7 of the 1975 World Series in Fenway Park, when the Big Red Machine wins the first of its back-to-back World Championships on Oct. 21, 1975.

Feb. 9: Griffey hits his 600th home run against the Marlins in Florida on June 9 last year.

Feb. 16: Eight Reds hit a total of nine home runs in a wild 22-3 win over the Phillies on Sept. 4, 1999.

Feb. 23: Jay Bruce goes 3-for-3 in his Major League Baseball debut - plus gets on base twice more with walks - in the Reds' 9-6 win over the Pirates at GABP on May 27 last year.

March 2: Game 3 of the 1976 National League Championship Series, when the Reds sweep the Phillies at Riverfront Stadium on back-to-back ninth inning homers by George Foster and Johnny Bench on Oct. 12, 1976.

March 9: Game 2 of the 1976 World Series, when the Reds' beat the Yankees 4-3 at Riverfront Stadium on Oct. 17, 1976.

March 16: Game 4 of the 1976 World Series, when Johnny Bench's two homers power the Reds sweep of the Yankees 7-2 in Yankee Stadium on Oct. 21.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090117/SPT04/901170359/1071

Nice. I was hoping they would do this again this year. I'm looking forward to seeing that 22-3 game. It's too bad they didn't include the wild 24-12 victory at Coors Field in that same year.

macro
01-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Looking forward to the stuff from 1976. There's the DVD set of the 1975 series, of course, and ESPN classic has played the 1975 games, as well. But I don't think I have seen any of the 1976 games since 1976, and I was too young to remember many of the details.

Phhhl
01-18-2009, 02:36 AM
Looking forward to the stuff from 1976. There's the DVD set of the 1975 series, of course, and ESPN classic has played the 1975 games, as well. But I don't think I have seen any of the 1976 games since 1976, and I was too young to remember many of the details.

Me too. The '75 series gets all the pub, but the Reds basically embarassed the Yankees in '76. Considering all the dominant Yankee teams that preceded that season and have come afterwards, I am not sure the 1976 Reds don't deserve much more respect as the last truly great small market dynasty we are likely ever to see. They sliced through a good Phillie team and the Yankees like a knife through hot butter. Instead of celebrating that team as the one that established the Big Red Machine as one of the greatest teams ever, it is almost treated as an after thought. The drama of the 75 postseason was incredible. But, I would love to see more of the games from the '76 season on the mlb network, and the fsn replays. Baseball isn't going to pimp it because the Reds were so ridiculously good it is uninteresting to the masses. But it surprises me that local networks haven't treated the 1976 season with more reverence over the years. I have seen replays of the 75 games many times. But I can barely remember one replay from 1976, on Star 64 a couple of years ago on a Sunday afternoon.

redsfan4445
01-18-2009, 04:57 AM
I wish they would show Johnny Bench's Game where he hit #389 as a catcher on "Johnny Bench Night".. I was in the military and overseas and never was able to see that game when it occurred!

I am glad to see the 1976 playoff game with the Foster/Bench homers to tie.. I will love seeing that game again!

Hap
01-18-2009, 06:35 AM
I am glad to see the 1976 playoff game with the Foster/Bench homers to tie.. I will love seeing that game again!

It's about <masked profanity> time they show that one. It's one of the best games in Reds history. After the winning run scores, the cameras follow the team into the hallowed BRM clubhouse, which to my knowledge is the only known live footage of the BRM clubhouse.

I have an old bootlegged VHS copy that is in very poor quality, so this will be a real treat for me.

cumberlandreds
01-22-2009, 07:52 AM
It's about <masked profanity> time they show that one. It's one of the best games in Reds history. After the winning run scores, the cameras follow the team into the hallowed BRM clubhouse, which to my knowledge is the only known live footage of the BRM clubhouse.

I have an old bootlegged VHS copy that is in very poor quality, so this will be a real treat for me.

I am glad they are bring these back. I have that game and the entire 76 WS on DVD that I got form someone over the Internet. That playoff game is great to watch and a true classic. I wish someone could find a tape of game 5 of the 72 playoffs. That's the one game from the past I would really love to see again. But I'm afraid by now its lost forever.

George Anderson
01-22-2009, 08:44 AM
I wish someone could find a tape of game 5 of the 72 playoffs. That's the one game from the past I would really love to see again. But I'm afraid by now its lost forever.

I would think someone somewhere has a copy of that game. I'm sure the network does. I would love to see that game to because other than clips of Bench's HR and Foster scoring the winning run I haven't seen any other video on it.

Reds Freak
01-22-2009, 08:59 AM
I would think someone somewhere has a copy of that game. I'm sure the network does. I would love to see that game to because other than clips of Bench's HR and Foster scoring the winning run I haven't seen any other video on it.

It's funny you guys are talking about this. A coworker and I were discussing Al Michaels' career with the Reds the other day and he doesn't remember the Bench HR call in 1972 and I have searched up and down the internet a thousand times over and cannot find a clip of that call. I figured it would be a simple Youtube search but I can't find it anywhere. It's driving me nuts, if anyone knows where I might find it, I would be very greatful...:)

George Anderson
01-22-2009, 09:07 AM
It's funny you guys are talking about this. A coworker and I were discussing Al Michaels' career with the Reds the other day and he doesn't remember the Bench HR call in 1972 and I have searched up and down the internet a thousand times over and cannot find a clip of that call. I figured it would be a simple Youtube search but I can't find it anywhere. It's driving me nuts, if anyone knows where I might find it, I would be very greatful...:)

It is hands down my favorite call of all time. I still get chills when I hear it.

Chip R
01-22-2009, 09:25 AM
You know, I remember the 75 series vividly but not the 76. I must have been grounded or something then.

RedsFan75
01-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Oh I remember the 76 one, cause I loved it that the Yankees were getting all the press, and then the Reds just dominated them!

cumberlandreds
01-22-2009, 09:50 AM

There may not be one. Up until the mid 70's the networks didn't save much of anything. They said they didn't have room to store things. Also VCR's weren't too easy to get on the retail market. So the average person didn't have access to record it. Unless a local NBC affiliate should have it stored in their vaults somewhere it may not exist. The Reds put out a record after the 72 season that had the radio calls of that game and other moments from the 72 season. I don't have that one but I would think someone on RZ would. I have the records from the 75 and 76 seasons but not that one.

cumberlandreds
01-22-2009, 09:54 AM
A word of warning about game 4 of the 76 World Series. Phil Rizutto is one of the announcers and basically cries about the Yankees demise and makes excuses for them especially at the end. Really a big homer job that shouldn't have been on a national telecast. After the game he asked what he thought of the WS and said it was just terrible. The Yankees didn't show up and on and on and on. You know Phil,the Reds just might have been the better team that year.

George Anderson
01-22-2009, 10:03 AM
A word of warning about game 4 of the 76 World Series. Phil Rizutto is one of the announcers and basically cries about the Yankees demise and makes excuses for them especially at the end. Really a big homer job that shouldn't have been on a national telecast. After the game he asked what he thought of the WS and said it was just terrible. The Yankees didn't show up and on and on and on. You know Phil,the Reds just might have been the better team that year.

Gowdy was the same way back in 75' with the Sox.

I can only imagine the uproar from ESPN had it existed in 75' an 76'.

cumberlandreds
01-22-2009, 10:20 AM

Trust me, Rizutto is 100 times worse than Gowdy. You could tell Gowdy liked the Sox but he didn't openly root for them although he nearly cried when Yaz flied out to end the series.

westofyou
01-22-2009, 10:28 AM
March 9: Game 2 of the 1976 World Series, when the Reds' beat the Yankees 4-3 at Riverfront Stadium on Oct. 17, 1976.

I was lucky enough to be at this one.

hebroncougar
01-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Wonder if our titanic offense will produce any classic games for next year's rendition of this series.

RedsFan75
01-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

Trust me, Rizutto is 100 times worse than Gowdy. You could tell Gowdy liked the Sox but he didn't openly root for them although he nearly cried when Yaz flied out to end the series.

Yeah the commentary for both the 75 and 76 series were very anti-Cincy, but 76 was worse.

Is it any different than today, you see a clip of a pitcher getting K's it will usually be against the Reds. etc...

Reds Fanatic
01-22-2009, 04:13 PM

You mentioning Al Michaels career with the Reds reminds of a story they had on Michaels on Real Sports a few nights back. He has become one of the biggest national broadcasters but his whole career was made on just a few chances to do big events.

He was a local broadcaster in Hawaii when the Reds hired him in 1972. Back then for the World Series instead of just using national broadcasters they would pair a national broadcaster like Curt Gowdy up with the local broadcasters from the teams involved. So when the Reds make the World Series in 1972 Al Michaels is paired up with Curt Gowdy and gets introduced to a national audience which then got him a job with ABC.

Then his famous "Do you believe in Miracles" call in the 1980 Olympics again is just made possible by getting a chance to even call hockey in those Olympics. The only reason he got the hockey assignment at all is when ABC was looking at their whole roster of announcers no one else had ever called a hockey game. Michaels years before had announced one hockey game. Because he had one more than anyone else he got the assignment and was there to make the famous call of the USA-USSR hockey game.

westofyou
01-22-2009, 04:21 PM

Here it is Bench HR (http://baseballminutia.com/images/Johnny_Bench_HR_72Pitt.wav)

OnBaseMachine
01-22-2009, 11:32 PM
Al Michaels in awesome. His time with the Reds was well before I was born, but I've had the privilege of hearing some of his calls and all of them are special. The Johnny Bench homer that woy (thanks woy) linked to and the call of the wild pitch that scored Foster to win the 1972 NLCS are two of my favorites. His call of Dave Henderson's homer in the 1986 ALCS is also a favorite of mine. It's a shame he doesn't announce baseball anymore.

George Anderson
01-22-2009, 11:37 PM
Bench HR

Makes a very cool ring tone.

Reds Freak
01-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Here it is Bench HR (http://baseballminutia.com/images/Johnny_Bench_HR_72Pitt.wav)

Bless your heart and all your other vital organs...

cumberlandreds
01-26-2009, 02:01 PM
BTTT I just thought I would this back up to the top. Another classic is on tonight.

WebScorpion
01-27-2009, 09:29 AM

Isn't this the game where Mickey Rivers said he was going to bunt for a base hit, (which he had successfully done all season,) and Pete played him about halfway down the third base line? I seem to recall Mickey going his way the first couple times and Pete threw him out. This was the Series where The Big Red Machine truly operated like a machine...Sparky never pinch hit or changed his lineup all series, 7 of the starting 8 batted over .300, and the team ERA was close to 2.00. And all in front of a national audience against Steinbrenner's first World Series team. :thumbup:

Roy Tucker
01-27-2009, 10:01 AM

Me too. Up under the CF scoreboard at Riverfront so we couldn't see fly balls. And with Catfish pitching, the Reds hit a lot of fly balls. We had to watch where the Yankees OF were settling in to figure out where the balls were going.

I was also drunker than a skunk on 64 oz. Hudey tubs and colder than heck. That was the Bowie Kuhn shirtsleeves game.

cumberlandreds
01-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Isn't this the game where Mickey Rivers said he was going to bunt for a base hit, (which he had successfully done all season,) and Pete played him about halfway down the third base line? I seem to recall Mickey going his way the first couple times and Pete threw him out. This was the Series where The Big Red Machine truly operated like a machine...Sparky never pinch hit or changed his lineup all series, 7 of the starting 8 batted over .300, and the team ERA was close to 2.00. And all in front of a national audience against Steinbrenner's first World Series team. :thumbup:

Rose played so close to Rivers in that series he could smell his breathe.:p: He took the bunt away from Rivers. I think it was the last game, Rivers hit a line drive right at Rose, who caught it. Rose just gave him a look of "Gotcha!". Rivers,IIRC had a decent series overall. Hit about .300 but couldn't get a bunt down which was his trademark.
The 1976 World Series was the pinnacle of The Big Red Machine.

RedFanAlways1966
01-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Rivers,IIRC had a decent series overall. Hit about .300 but couldn't get a bunt down which was his trademark.

You made me look it up. Mickey was 3-for-18 (.167, all singles) in the 1976 WS.

The Yankees team only had 5 extra base hits in the 4-game series. Thurman Munson was their leading hitter, 9-for-17 (.529), and all 9 of his hits were singles. Willie Randolph was a futile 1-for-14 (.071) in the series.

How times have changed... each team used only 3 relievers in the series.

cumberlandreds
01-29-2009, 07:45 AM
You made me look it up. Mickey was 3-for-18 (.167, all singles) in the 1976 WS.

The Yankees team only had 5 extra base hits in the 4-game series. Thurman Munson was their leading hitter, 9-for-17 (.529), and all 9 of his hits were singles. Willie Randolph was a futile 1-for-14 (.071) in the series.

How times have changed... each team used only 3 relievers in the series.

Boy,did I remember wrong. Thanks for correcting me. The troubling thing about my memory is that I re-watched that entire series just this past summer. I think I'm ready for that memory transplant. :)

OnBaseMachine
02-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Tonight Game 7 of the 1975 World Series was on. I got a huge thrill out of watching the interviews at the end of the game. I wish I had taped that. Clay Carroll was as giddy as could be. I met him at Redsfest ... he's a super, super nice guy.

Next Monday is the Griffey #600 HR game.

marcshoe
02-03-2009, 07:57 AM
I caught a couple of late innings last night. I hadn't seen a replay, and I was surprised at how clearly some of the images came back. Jim Burton on the mound, Morgan's hit in the ninth--I remembered exactly how it looked before they showed it.

RedsFan75
02-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Watching that game, KNOWING the outcome, I still found myself with the same emotions, the anxiety of hanging on every pitch every AB as I did in 1975.

Ain't Baseball grand! :)

OnBaseMachine
02-13-2009, 07:13 PM
REWIND: Tune in to FOX Sports Ohio on Monday, February 16 at 10 pm for the continuation of Reds Classic Rewinds. This Monday features the September 4, 1999 game, during which eight (8) different Reds hit nine (9) total home runs in the 22-3 win over the Phillies. This Rewind features the Phillies’ TV coverage along with announcers Harry Kalas, Chris Wheeler and Larry Andersen. This game was not originally on Cincinnati’s local or national television, so for Reds fans that weren’t able to see it, here is the chance to view this history-making game! Please note telecast time of this Reds Classic Rewind is at 10 pm, following the Columbus Blue Jackets game.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a78f438b7-6fbf-4838-94b8-652105703d63&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

marcshoe
02-13-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm a Harry Kalas fan. Should be interesting.

OnBaseMachine
02-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Marty and Joe do 'Reds Rewind'

By John Kiesewetter • jkiesewetter@enquirer.com • February 24, 2009

Long-time Reds fans who turned down the TV sound to hear Marty and Joe call the game don’t need to do that on Monday’s “Reds Classic Rewind.”

Fox Sports Ohio has edited the Marty Brennaman-Joe Nuxhall Reds radio audio with NBC’s video of the deciding Game 3 of the 1976 Reds-Phillies National League Championship Series.

“To see this game, and hear Marty and Joe – the local Reds radio icons – it sends chills up your spine,” says Tom Farmer, Fox Sports Ohio vice president and executive producer.

Fox Sports Ohio fabricated the special telecast out of necessity, after learning that Major League Baseball archives only had NBC video of the Oct. 12, 1976 game. The radio broadcast was obtained from John Miley, a sports audio collector in Evansville, Ind.

The regional sports network wanted the game for its weekly winter Reds lineup because it was a classic example of the Big Red Machine’s power and speed.

Trailing 6-4 in the top of the ninth, George Foster and Johnnny Bench hit back-to-back home runs. Davey Concepcion scored the winning run from third when Ken Griffey Sr. beat out an infield chopper. The Reds were undefeated in the ’76 postseason, sweeping the Phillies and Yankees.

“You get to listen to Joe in his prime, and it’s great,” Farmer says. “He’s excited and yelling, ‘The Reds are going to the World Series!’ It was a match made in heaven.”

But they had a devil of a time synchronizing the two. The video and audio tapes were made at different speeds, so producer Tim Baker had to make an edit about every 10 seconds. It took five weeks to assemble the three-hour game.

“Tim took a lot of effort to make sure the crack of the bat on the audio matched the video,” Farmer says.

“There will be a few awkward moments. Sometimes NBC will show a replay that Marty and Joe don’t talk about. But you don’t miss any significant game action.”

The telecast, hosted by Jeff Piecoro, will include recent interviews with Brennaman, infielder Doug Flynn and pitcher Jack Billingham. Farmer says the one-of-a-kind game will be given to Major League Baseball, which premiered the MLB Network last month. Fox Sports Ohio also may repeat it at a later date, he says.

“You get to experience this as a brand new game. You know what’s going to happen, but now you get to see it while listening to Marty and Joe,” Farmer says. “We get great response from ‘Reds Classic Rewind,’ especially with the Big Red Machine. I think Reds fans will really love this.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090224/SPT04/302240040/1071

Roy Tucker
02-25-2009, 08:20 AM
I'm looking forward to that replay. It was a great game and tremendously exciting bottom of the 9th. It seemed the Reds were invincible.

membengal
02-25-2009, 09:35 AM
I was afraid I had missed it. It is for next Monday, right?

OnBaseMachine
02-25-2009, 10:41 AM
I was afraid I had missed it. It is for next Monday, right?

Yep. Here are the three remaining games:

March 2: Game 3 of the 1976 National League Championship Series, when the Reds sweep the Phillies at Riverfront Stadium on back-to-back ninth inning homers by George Foster and Johnny Bench on Oct. 12, 1976.

March 16: Game 4 of the 1976 World Series, when Johnny Bench's two homers power the Reds sweep of the Yankees 7-2 in Yankee Stadium on Oct. 21.

membengal
02-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks!

RedsFan75
03-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Watching last nights game reminded how biased the announcing was toward the Yankees, age, and time had erased that from my memory to a point.
Also it was like Marty couldn't get a word in edgewise, and when he did say something it was like Joe and Tony ignored him. By the end of the game he was hardly even speaking.

There were some funny statements though that caught my ear. After Nettles wanted a hot water bottle to warm the bat handle, Joe says the out come of the game may depend on who had the best pharmacist.... Didn't know he was a prophet of things to come. :D

Also after Munson made a play on a foul near the dugout Joe says something to the effect of, Bench is know for his agility, but Munson just showed he's just as good if not a bit better than Bench in getting to those balls.:rolleyes::oops::bowrofl:

cumberlandreds
03-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Billy Martin certainly made a fool of himself in the pre game interview. He said the Reds were good but not great.:rolleyes: Billy was always good at that.

cumberlandreds
03-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Watching last nights game reminded how biased the announcing was toward the Yankees, age, and time had erased that from my memory to a point.
Also it was like Marty couldn't get a word in edgewise, and when he did say something it was like Joe and Tony ignored him. By the end of the game he was hardly even speaking.

There were some funny statements though that caught my ear. After Nettles wanted a hot water bottle to warm the bat handle, Joe says the out come of the game may depend on who had the best pharmacist.... Didn't know he was a prophet of things to come. :D

Also after Munson made a play on a foul near the dugout Joe says something to the effect of, Bench is know for his agility, but Munson just showed he's just as good if not a bit better than Bench in getting to those balls.:rolleyes::oops::bowrofl:

If you thought they were biased in this game wait until next week. Phil Rizutto joins them. That was as biased a telecast as you would ever see on a network.

RedsFan75
03-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Yeah I recall that I was PO'd when it first broadcast. I was 16 then and thought ANYBODY could do a better job at broadcasting than the ones doing it. Course I wanted Marty and Joe to do it all! :)

Chip R
03-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Marty did some of the 75 Series, right?

cumberlandreds
03-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Marty did some of the 75 Series, right?

Yes,he did the middle three games in Cincy.

Chip R
03-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Yes,he did the middle three games in Cincy.

I remember that but I have no visual memories of the 76 Series. I must have been grounded then.

Heath
03-10-2009, 07:26 PM
I remember that but I have no visual memories of the 76 Series. I must have been grounded then.

My dad said I did a lot of drooling.

I watched last night's game. My Dad was there. I told him I was big enough to sit on my own chair.

Chip R
03-10-2009, 11:17 PM
My dad said I did a lot of drooling.

I watched last night's game. My Dad was there. I told him I was big enough to sit on my own chair.

Did he tell you to take the bass out of your voice when you told him that? ;)