PDA

View Full Version : Cubs trade Pie to Orioles

Benihana
01-18-2009, 03:14 PM
for LHP Garrett Olson according to Rosenthal. Would you have offered Bill Bray?

Tom Servo
01-18-2009, 03:32 PM
I would have offered a prospect like Roenicke but not Bray. Seems like a pretty good deal for the Orioles though.

GADawg
01-18-2009, 03:39 PM
the three headed monster that is Tampa/Boston/NYY better look out now!! Anyone else sick of hearing about Pie's promise? I know he hasn't really had that opportunity to "blossom" but I just don't get all the hype.

*BaseClogger*
01-18-2009, 03:52 PM
the three headed monster that is Tampa/Boston/NYY better look out now!! Anyone else sick of hearing about Pie's promise? I know he hasn't really had that opportunity to "blossom" but I just don't get all the hype.

Just like Maybin...

flyer85
01-18-2009, 04:15 PM
nice deal for the O's. there is upside and they gave away very little.

pahster
01-18-2009, 04:26 PM

Minor league career: .299/.353/.470

And he's only going to be 24 next year.

RedEye
01-18-2009, 04:29 PM
That OF of Nick Markakis, Adam Jones and Felix Pie could be very, very good in a few years. Low risk, high reward deal for the O's.

Johnny Footstool
01-18-2009, 04:46 PM
I don't see why the Cubs made this deal.

RedsManRick
01-18-2009, 04:56 PM

Pretty simple. Pie is out of options and the cubs have Bradly, Soriano, Fukudome, Reed Johnson, Gathright, and Hoffpauir. Pie simply wasn't going to get a shot and would have had to be waived to be taken off the 40 man and sent down -- and he wouldn't have made it through waivers.

Turning him in to a young pitcher was a decent move, especially when you consider the Cubs don't have much in the way of good SP prospects behind Veal and Gallagher. Olsen was dominant in the minors and is pretty young still. He actually reminds me a lot of Matt Maloney from a stuff and results perspective.

As for the Reds picking him up, I'd much rather have him out there than Taveras given his upside.

KronoRed
01-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Clearing a spot for an OF perhaps.Dunn maybe? :D

PuffyPig
01-18-2009, 06:23 PM
for LHP Garrett Olson according to Rosenthal. Would you have offered Bill Bray?

If I'm trading Bray for Pie, it better be pecan or apple.

Felix Pie will leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Johnny Footstool
01-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Pretty simple. Pie is out of options and the cubs have Bradly, Soriano, Fukudome, Reed Johnson, Gathright, and Hoffpauir. Pie simply wasn't going to get a shot and would have had to be waived to be taken off the 40 man and sent down -- and he wouldn't have made it through waivers.

Turning him in to a young pitcher was a decent move, especially when you consider the Cubs don't have much in the way of good SP prospects behind Veal and Gallagher. Olsen was dominant in the minors and is pretty young still. He actually reminds me a lot of Matt Maloney from a stuff and results perspective.

As for the Reds picking him up, I'd much rather have him out there than Taveras given his upside.

I'm not questioning their motivation; I'm questioning the return. I don't see Olsen as anything special.

RedLegSuperStar
01-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Wasn't Baltimore linked to the Cubs and Padres with Peavy? Could the Peavy talks start back up now?

RedsManRick
01-18-2009, 07:37 PM
I'm not questioning their motivation; I'm questioning the return. I don't see Olsen as anything special.

The return they got was not stellar because the Cubs had no leverage. They clearly didn't have a spot for him on the 25 man roster, he's out of options, and he's hiccuped a few times trying to transition to the majors. The other subplot of course is that Olsen is somebody the Padres expressed interested in during Peavy talks.

RedLegSuperStar
01-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Wasn't Baltimore linked to the Cubs and Padres with Peavy? Could the Peavy talks start back up now?

Sounds like my speculation could become reality..The link for this can be found on MLBTradeRumors.com

Cubs gets pitcher sought by Padres
By Tom Krasovic January 18, 2009
Garrett Olson is a left-handed pitcher of some interest to the Padres who today was traded to the Cubs. The Padres had sought Olson from the Orioles for Khalil Greene. The Padres also considered Olson a potential minor piece in 5-for-1 trade scenarios with the Cubs centering on Jake Peavy. Does that mean a Peavy trade is more likely now? That's overstating things, but Olson does give the Cubs a bit more flexibility, whether they decide to go after Peavy or not.
There are several things to remember here, some of which point against a trade, some which do not: 1) Sandy Alderson said on Friday in his strongest terms yet that he expects Peavy to be with the Padres on Opening Day; 2) The Cubs still may not know whether their pending sale will allow them to raise their payroll in 2010, a big obstacle considering Peavy will be due $15 million that season; 3) For all his talk about retaining Peavy, Alderson nonethless kept the door slightly ajar on Friday. He had talked about announcing in mid-January that Peavy definitely will be with the Padres for Opening Day, but on Friday, he pushed that back to Feb. 1; 4) The Padres still have a bit of payroll issue that would be alleviated by moving Peavy, who is due $11 million in salary this year. Oviously they have made it clear that such a trade needs to make baseball sense. Everyone gets that. Still, the payroll situation isn't great. Unless the Padres trade Peavy or another player with a sizable salary, the Padres would have to float at least $5 million in salary to meet the $40 million payroll mandated by owner John Moores (who so fa, has made itclear he isn't interesting in making cash calls this year). To make the payroll numbers work, the Padres could aniticipate trading Peavy or Brian Giles this season. But that plan exposes the club to risks such as an injury, under-performance by Giles or Peavy, or Giles vetoing a trade, something he did last August. If Peavy were to suffer an elbow flareup at all like the one of last May, his trade value would be nil, considering that he is still owed $63 million.
The Cubs now have two left-handed pitchers -- Olson and Sean Marshall -- who interested the Padres in the Peavy trade talks. Leading into the winter meetings, the Padres liked their chances of getting Marshall, but the Cubs removed him from consideration during talks in Las Vegas. Obviously now it would be easier for the Cubs to part with one or two of those lefties if they would get Peavy. Again, others in the deal almost certainly would include the Cubs' top prospect -- Single-A third baseman Josh Vitters -- and Cubs reliever Kevin Hart.

BCubb2003
01-18-2009, 07:53 PM
If I'm trading Bray for Pie, it better be pecan or apple.

Felix Pie will leave a bad taste in your mouth.

How would Dusty Baker handle Felix Pie?

OnBaseMachine
01-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Great deal for the Orioles. I would've loved to have seen the Reds acquire Pie.

boognish
01-18-2009, 10:58 PM

I don't know much about Olsen, but the point is well taken.

The Cubs dealt Gallagher in the Harden deal last summer and the Pirates took Veal in the Rule V draft. Angel Guzman--whatever you think of him--is out of options and faces a fate similar to Pie's. Add to that the Cubs dealt hard-throwing Jose Ceda in the Gregg trade and they are thin on young reinforcements in the event of an injury.

Still, far from an optimal return, which makes me happy.

RedsManRick
01-18-2009, 11:09 PM

The Cubs dealt Gallagher in the Harden deal last summer and the Pirates took Veal in the Rule V draft. Angel Guzman--whatever you think of him--is out of options and faces a fate similar to Pie's. Add to that the Cubs dealt hard-throwing Jose Ceda in the Gregg trade and they are thin on young reinforcements in the event of an injury.

Heh. Shows how up I am on Cubs prospects..... but yeah. They aren't so hot on the young pitching depth.

Falls City Beer
01-18-2009, 11:19 PM

Not a team in the Central has good young pitching in the pipeline.

Other than his youth and speed, Pie doesn't interest me much.

flyer85
01-18-2009, 11:31 PM

same way Lou did ... here's your ticket to AAA son

Patrick Bateman
01-19-2009, 01:06 AM

With a fork?

cincrazy
01-19-2009, 02:49 AM
I'm not big on Pie. The guy is like Ruben Rivera part two IMO.

jojo
01-19-2009, 09:29 AM
The attraction of Pie is that he is probably pretty close to at least a league average bat right now while he is probably capable of plus defense in CF (maybe as good as +10 runs).

While that's a lot of "probably", that's exactly the point for a team like Baltimore as they've been stocking as much young talent as anybody since MacPhail joined them. In this case, a potential above average center fielder cost them a spare part.

Johnny Footstool
01-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Pie would be the best CF on the Reds.

Scrap Irony
01-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Both Guzman and Cedeno interest me. Both are out of options and seemingly lack a spot on the Cub team.

Cedeno would be the best SS in Cincinnati and a legitimate top of the order hitter, while Guzman has a plus arm.

I could see a 3-for-1 deal with Chicago. Reds grab prospects while the Cubs nab something they need.

How about Weathers for Cedeno and Guzman? He'd be a nice fit in their pen, as a sixth or seventh inning guy and a nice vet for Pinella to rely on once the games get tight.

pahster
01-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Both Guzman and Cedeno interest me. Both are out of options and seemingly lack a spot on the Cub team.

Cedeno would be the best SS in Cincinnati and a legitimate top of the order hitter, while Guzman has a plus arm.

If Cedeno plays plus defense, I'd be interested in acquiring him, but he doesn't look like a top of the order hitter to me. His career OBP in .289 in the majors and .323 in the minors.

Falls City Beer
01-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Pie would be the best CF on the Reds.

Except for Dickerson. I don't see the massive ceiling for Pie offensively. Looks a lot like Corey Patterson to me.

NJReds
01-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Looks a lot like Corey Patterson to me.

Which means the Reds will overpay him to play CF in about 8 years.

Johnny Footstool
01-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Except for Dickerson. I don't see the massive ceiling for Pie offensively. Looks a lot like Corey Patterson to me.

Dickerson had a better BB rate in the minors, but with a low BA and no power. His '08 stint in the majors looks like a Jon Nunnally-type fluke. I don't see him outperforming Pie.

WebScorpion
01-21-2009, 10:02 AM
The same way he handled the previous failed Cubs CF prospect. :eek: I wonder if it could actually turn out WORSE than Corey Patterson? At least Corey played a spectacular CF...

TRF
01-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Dickerson had a better BB rate in the minors, but with a low BA and no power. His '08 stint in the majors looks like a Jon Nunnally-type fluke. I don't see him outperforming Pie.

Except he also had a marked spike at AAA. Dickerson attributed it to a change in approach, and some coaching tips. He also said he never took baseball seriously until last season. Screams late bloomer. By all accounts he's also a very intelligent person. I like the idea of smart baseball players with trmendous physical tools.