PDA

View Full Version : Branson,Mo ?

BUTLER REDSFAN
01-19-2009, 03:46 PM
My wife, kids and I go to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg every year for vacation. We are looking for something different. Is Branson, Mo essentially the same thing as going to Pigeon Forge? From the websites I have looked up it almost sounds like a duplicate of what there is to do and see in Pigeon Forge.

LoganBuck
01-19-2009, 04:29 PM
IMO, it is very similar. The drive is longer, but there is interesting stuff to do on the way, in St Louis. You can find some very touristy kind of places like the Meramac caverns. Where you can see "Jesse James'" "hideout".

The original Bass Pro Shops store is in Springfield. That isn't really unique anymore.

I don't think you are missing anything.

Kansas City has some neat places. And the BBQ is top rate!

pahster
01-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Missouri is filled with uninteresting towns. Branson is one of these places.

Falls City Beer
01-19-2009, 05:12 PM

LOL. I lived in St. Louis for two years, and while I really liked St. Louis, this is definitely true of the rest of Missouri.

Branson is huge Lolz. Creepy lolz, but lolz.

15fan
01-19-2009, 05:52 PM
So are we talking summer vacation? What's the annual appeal of Pigeon Forge?

There's ton of great places to go in the US. Hit some beaches on the Gulf Coast. Do a trip back in time to Charleston SC and/or Savannah GA. Take the kids to DC. Get up to NE and check out the coast of Maine. Plenty to do in NYC or Chicago, too. Wilmington NC or the Outer Banks are supposed to be great. And we haven't even crossed the Mississippi River, yet.

Tell us what you do/don't like, as well as any other parameters (how far you're willing to drive, how old the kids are, etc) and I'm sure that the folks around here can come up with better suggestions than Pigeon Forge or Branson.

Redhook
01-19-2009, 06:08 PM

Then you've obviously never been to Neosho, MO. ;)

My wife's family is from Mizzou so I spend some time there. Kansas City is cool around the Plaza. St. Louis is decent. Columbia is a college town...those are always pretty cool. Her family lives in Neosho, near Joplin, and at the Lake of the Ozarks. I can't stand the Lake....too touristy, but I do like Neosho. It's very relaxing, but you're right, not a whole lot to do. Missouri does beat Kansas though.

pahster
01-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Then you've obviously never been to Neosho, MO. ;)

My wife's family is from Mizzou so I spend some time there. Kansas City is cool around the Plaza. St. Louis is decent. Columbia is a college town...those are always pretty cool. Her family lives in Neosho, near Joplin, and at the Lake of the Ozarks. I can't stand the Lake....too touristy, but I do like Neosho. It's very relaxing, but you're right, not a whole lot to do. Missouri does beat Kansas though.

I've never been to KC other than to see a Royals game, so I can't say much about it. StL isn't my thing, although they have a lot of great Italian restaurants. I love Columbia, though. Even if they don't use reflective paint on their streets and don't understand that you have to salt (not just drop ash) AND plow when it snows/ices.

Stephenk29
01-19-2009, 08:27 PM
StL isn't my thing, although they have a lot of great Italian restaurants.

AHHH the hill:thumbup:

otherwise, STL is a dump

macro
01-20-2009, 01:32 AM
So are we talking summer vacation? What's the annual appeal of Pigeon Forge?

There's ton of great places to go in the US. Hit some beaches on the Gulf Coast. Do a trip back in time to Charleston SC and/or Savannah GA. Take the kids to DC. Get up to NE and check out the coast of Maine. Plenty to do in NYC or Chicago, too. Wilmington NC or the Outer Banks are supposed to be great. And we haven't even crossed the Mississippi River, yet.

We've been hitting up the Riverstone Resort (http://www.riverstoneresort.com/) on the golf course in Pigeon Forge for three or four years now, mainly because we're raising toddlers (currently have two, with one more in the oven) and trips to the coast are too long and grueling when you have little ones in diapers or needing potty breaks. The Pigeon Forge area doesn't do much for us, honestly, but it's only a four-hour drive away and we're going to stay close to the hotel regardless of where we go, at this point. The Riverstone has very nice condos with fireplace and plasma TV, a lazy river, a nice playground, and awesome indoor pools.

As soon as the kids are old enough to ride long distances and enjoy what the coast has to offer, we'll be on our way. Until then, we're looking for stuff that's a half-day drive and Pigeon Forge is about all we've been able to come up with. We're very open to other suggestions, however.

Johnny Vander m
01-20-2009, 02:40 AM
I was in Branson the last week of Sept. and the first week of Oct last fall. I loved the place. However it was off season and was a Naval Ship reunion so they were special to us, discounts and all. Not a tourist trap at all like the Smoky Mt's. Weather was perfect and all the locals were very nice. I will go back again for sure.

westofyou
01-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Not a tourist trap at all like the Smoky Mt's

A real down to earth place it is eh?

http://ljbustours.com/Branson_Stripreg.jpg

deltachi8
01-20-2009, 02:09 PM
"My dad says it's like Vegas -- if it were run by Ned Flanders."

--Bart Simpson on Branson

LoganBuck
01-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Reminds me of the time that Gilbert Gnarly went to Branson, and got his picture taken with with his disposable camera. He threw the camera away, and then called Fuji to ask where his pictures were.

pahster
01-20-2009, 03:51 PM
"My dad says it's like Vegas -- if it were run by Ned Flanders."

--Bart Simpson on Branson

Very true.