PDA

View Full Version : More yawns... (Fay talks to Jocketty 1/19)

Benihana
01-19-2009, 05:52 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a5b9d91cf-aebc-441d-80c1-f9ab5453ea81&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

Don't ask me why, but I'm still secretly holding out hope that Walt is just posturing. Maybe it's the optimist left in me...

Redhook
01-19-2009, 06:12 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a5b9d91cf-aebc-441d-80c1-f9ab5453ea81&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

Don't ask me why, but I'm still secretly holding out hope that Walt is just posturing. Maybe it's the optimist left in me...

I think we're all holding out hope that Walt will make a move or three before Spring Training. Some of us are just more optimistic on whether that will happen or not. As for where I stand: I'm expecting the worst at this point in time.

jesusfan
01-19-2009, 06:14 PM
I've come to realize Walt is going to do nothing but add a bench player or two... We will be a 4th or 5th team in the central yet again.

HokieRed
01-19-2009, 10:25 PM
I think Walt's really optimistic about what he said some time ago he was optimistic about: the young players--i.e. 2010 and beyond. He's not compromising that now unless the deal is absolutely perfect.

TRF
01-20-2009, 12:30 PM
I think Walt's really optimistic about what he said some time ago he was optimistic about: the young players--i.e. 2010 and beyond. He's not compromising that now unless the deal is absolutely perfect.

Plenty of FA's on the market and he settled on Taveras, Gomes and Nix. FA's don't impact anything but budget. He's made his trade for C, and it was a minimal cost, Freel + a prospect I believe. SS is tougher, and he's likely banking on Valaika. IF Valaika hits in ST, or if AGon is actually healthy, it's a decent gamble.

He's got no excuse for the mess he's made in the OF though.

edabbs44
01-20-2009, 12:44 PM

Agreed and well said.

Ltlabner
01-20-2009, 02:14 PM

And then when some of the kids flame out we'll start waiting on the next batch of kids that will ride in and save the day in a year or two.

Yay.

OnBaseMachine
01-20-2009, 09:33 PM
E-mail bag: Offer to Abreu?
Posted by JohnFay at 1/20/2009 3:31 PM EST on Cincinnati.com

Question from Lu: I'm from Venezuela. A reporter there said the Reds made an offer to Bobby Abreu. Some mix between a guarantee and big productivity bonuses. I am shocked because of your report about talking to Walt Jocketty. What do you think?

A: Remember that report out of Dominican about Manny Ramirez signing with Yankees? I think we have a similar situation here. Something got lost in the translation. Jocketty hasn't misled the media here on anything as far as I can tell. His comments on Abreu were pretty strong. "I talked to his agent. I don't think there's going to be a fit." What may have happened is the Abreu;s agent floated that kind of deal to the Reds. That said, if Abreu's price falls to $6, $7 million range, I can see the Reds biting if it's for one year. That would keep the payroll in the range of last year and give the Reds an RBI bat in the middle of the order. I know he hits left-handed, but he hits left-handers as well as he hits right-handers.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a4cfc87cf-b7bd-41fb-bfbd-faf3c4bef94d&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

icehole3
01-21-2009, 06:48 AM
Plenty of FA's on the market and he settled on Taveras, Gomes and Nix. FA's don't impact anything but budget. He's made his trade for C, and it was a minimal cost, Freel + a prospect I believe. SS is tougher, and he's likely banking on Valaika. IF Valaika hits in ST, or if AGon is actually healthy, it's a decent gamble.

He's got no excuse for the mess he's made in the OF though.

according to Chip's report on the hot stove report, Dr K said Gonzo is pain free right now and he's going to Florida soon to check him again.