PDA

View Full Version : 17 players from Reds organization to participate in 2009 World Baseball Classic

OnBaseMachine
01-19-2009, 10:57 PM
TODAY’S NOTES: The 45-player provisional rosters for the 2009 World Baseball Classic were announced tonight and included 17 players in the Reds organization and 8 players on the 40-man roster: 1B Joey Votto (Canada), RHP Francisco Cordero (Dominican Republic), RHP Johnny Cueto (DR), RHP Edinson Volquez (DR), C/IF/OF Wilkin Castillo (DR), OF Willy Taveras (DR),IF/OF Jerry Hairston Jr. (Mexico), C Ramon Hernandez (Venezuela)...also on the provisional rosters are 9 minor leaguers: RHP James Avery (Canada), RHP Kyle Lotzkar (Canada), LHP Philippe Alexandre Valiquetto (Canada), IF Yen-Wen Kuo (Chinese Taipei), LHP Luca Panerati (Italy), LHP Mateo Pizziconi(Italy), LHP Alexander Smit (The Netherlands), RHP Juan Carlos Sulbaran(The Netherlands) and RHP Luis Machuca (Panama)...final 28-player rosters for the 16-team international tournament will be announced February 24.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a39aa542d-4ee0-4692-8c12-dad8254a08d1&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

OnBaseMachine
01-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Volquez headlines Reds in Classic
Right-hander could be joined by Cueto, others on Dominican club

By Jenifer Langosch / MLB.com

Each of the 16 teams participating in the upcoming World Baseball Classic released provisional rosters on Monday. And while players won't be wearing Cincinnati red and white, the Reds will certainly be well represented.

Seventeen players from the Reds' organization are listed on those rosters, which can include as many as 45 players.

The final rosters of 28 players -- including a mandatory 13 pitchers -- must be set by Feb. 24. Tickets can be purchased online through mlb.com.

Nowhere will the Reds' presence be more visible than on the Dominican Republic club, which could have as many as five Cincinnati players suiting up. Leading the group is 25-year-old Edinson Volquez, who will likely fill one of the Dominican Republic's rotation spots.

Fellow right-handers Francisco Cordero and Johnny Cueto are also among the 24 pitchers on the provisional roster. With none of the three having ever been able to represent the Dominican Republic in the Olympics, the Classic will provide a unique opportunity for these players to play for their native country.

And interestingly enough, they will be tutored by a former Reds player, Mario Soto. Soto, who played with Cincinnati from 1977-1988 and has mentored pitchers in the organization since, will serve as the pitching coach for the Dominican Republic.

Utility player Wilkin Castillo is listed as a catcher on the Dominican Republic roster and could serve as a backup to likely starting backstop Miguel Oliva. Willy Taveras, who signed with the Reds in December, is listed as one of six outfielders to be considered for the team.

Jerry Hairston is on Mexico's provisional roster.

The Reds will almost certainly have a starting presence on Team Canada. Joey Votto is the leading candidate to serve as the team's designated hitter. Three Reds Minor Leaguers -- right-handers Kyle Lotzkar and James Avery and left-hander Philippe-Alexandre Valiquette -- are also among the players being considered for final roster spots on the Canadian team.

Team Canada is paired with the United States, Venezuela and Italy in the first round, and the Reds could have representation on two of those three teams as well.

Ramon Hernandez is one of six catchers that the Venezuelan team is considering for its tournament roster. And left-handers Luca Panerati and Matteo Pizziconi, both of whom played for Cincinnati's Gulf Coast League team last season, could be on Team Italy.

Four other Cincinnati Minor Leaguers -- infielder Yen-Wen Kuo (Chinese Taipei), left-hander Alexander Smit (Netherlands), and right-handers Juan Carlos Sulbaran (Netherlands) and Luis Machuca (Panama) -- are also on the provisional rosters.

The first round opens March 5 in Tokyo, with defending 2006 champion Japan facing China. Mexico City, Toronto and San Juan, Puerto Rico, host the other three first-round brackets, as follows:

• Tokyo (March 5-9): Japan, China, Chinese Taipei and Korea

• Toronto (March 7-11): USA, Canada, Venezuela and Italy

• San Juan, Puerto Rico (March 7-11): Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Panama

• Mexico City (March 8-12): Mexico, Cuba, South Africa, Australia

It's a double-elimination format this time in the first two rounds. The winners from Toronto will meet the winners from Puerto Rico in the second round at Miami's Dolphin Stadium, while the winners from Tokyo will face the winners from Mexico City in San Diego's PETCO Park.

The semifinals and finals are March 21 and 23 at Dodger Stadium.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090119&content_id=3749938&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

RedEye
01-19-2009, 11:13 PM
I didn't realize Juan Carlos Sulbaran was Dutch. Huh!

OnBaseMachine
01-19-2009, 11:16 PM

Yep, he's from Curacao. There's some nice talent down there. Listen for the name Juremi Profar in a few years. He played in the 2008 Little League World Series and was easily the best player I saw in the tournament.

dougdirt
01-19-2009, 11:17 PM

He is from Curacao. Played high school baseball in Florida. Technically that makes him Dutch.

RedsManRick
01-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Good to see our young ace throwing getting some extra work in...

OnBaseMachine
01-19-2009, 11:42 PM

Cueto and Volquez have already thrown roughly 15-20 IP apiece in the Dominican Winter League...:rolleyes:

On another note, did anyone see the video footage of Yu Darvish? Wow. That kid has some filthy stuff. I wonder when we'll see him in the US?

membengal
01-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Cueto and Volquez have already thrown roughly 15-20 IP apiece in the Dominican Winter League...:rolleyes:

On another note, did anyone see the video footage of Yu Darvish? Wow. That kid has some filthy stuff. I wonder when we'll see him in the US?

I am not rolling my eyes. I don't like it. At all.

I bumped the A-Rod to WBC thread for a post I had in there on this topic back in December, but I will paste it here since this is a better place for it:

One more from the vault, a BP article from Nate Silver dated May 8, 2006, was an exhaustive look at how the WBC starters were doing with regard to their PECOTA projections five weeks into the season:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=5054

The money graph?

These are very disturbing numbers. The relievers have emerged relatively unscathed--sixteen of the thirty-two relievers in our study have outperformed their PECOTA, and sixteen have underperformed it. But the starting pitchers have been brutalized. Nineteen of the 26 starters--nearly three-fourths of our sample--have underperformed their PECOTA. In most cases, they haven’t even come close to their projection. The weighted average ERA for the WBC starters is 5.49, a buck and a quarter higher than their PECOTAs. Keep in mind that these are supposed to be, quite literally, the best starting pitchers in the world, and that this performance has come over hundreds and hundreds of collective innings.

Silver's best guess as to explain the collective awfulness?

I don’t think this is the result of overwork per se. The WBC pitch count limits were a necessary evil, and were relatively well-designed to prevent any one pitcher from bearing too much of the burden. No major league pitcher threw more than 14 innings in the Classic (Bartolo Colon and Jae Seo were tied at this threshold). Rather, I think the problem is that the pitchers had been taken out of their routines. They didn’t get to see their trainer, pitching coach, or manager for a couple of weeks, they weren’t able to relax in the low-pressure environment of the Grapefruit or Cactus Leagues, and so forth. The pitcher may have been throwing in a relief role for his national club, when he hadn’t done that in the major leagues in years. If a certain pitching coach doesn’t like his pitcher to throw breaking stuff early in camp, or his manager wanted to pull him out after a high-effort inning, there wasn’t the opportunity to play it safe. This is why I think that the starting pitchers have been disproportionately affected as compared to the relievers--starting pitchers are creatures of habit and routine.

Interesting to remember back on and pause to reflect upon. The starters were horrible to start 2006, regardless of which country they pitched for in the WBC.

So, no, I am not particularly thrilled that Volquez and Cueto are about to enter the experiment vortex of this dealie, round 2. Maybe teams learned from 2006. I can only hope. Or at least hope that time has not faded such that teams forget just how bad it was for their starters who pitched in the WBC four years ago...

11larkin11
01-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Ahh the legacy of Yu Darvish. He is like Elvis over there. Read some articles on the legend of Yu Darvish, lol.

OnBaseMachine
01-19-2009, 11:55 PM
To be exact, Volquez has thrown 21.2 innings and Cueto has thrown 15.2 IP. Plus they are both participating in the World Baseball Classic. A smart organization would have given them the choice between pitching in the DWL or WBC, not both.

OnBaseMachine
01-19-2009, 11:56 PM
I am not rolling my eyes. I don't like it. At all.

I don't like it either, hence the rolling my eyes emoticon.

membengal
01-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Gotcha, wasn't clear. The data from the first go round for the WBC and starting pitchers was scary. And the two pitchers the Reds are counting on most if they are to make the run at .500 are part of this experiment part II. Don't like it, even a little.

Highlifeman21
01-20-2009, 12:04 AM

The Dusty is smiling somewhere...

Degenerate39
01-20-2009, 12:06 AM
This is stupid. They should make sure their star players aren't going to do this. Just wears the arms down sooner. And the often injured Jerry Hairston is another mistake when it comes to this. There's also alot of money on Cordero and he's doing it?

They really need to change the World Baseball Classic some how or another. Do it after the regular season and for the teams that are in the playoffs don't allow their players to participate.

dougdirt
01-20-2009, 12:12 AM
I think there is a lot more being made about this than there should be.

These guys would be throwing innings in ST anyways. These are a little more stressful innings, but its not like its adding 30 innings to their work load directly before the start of the season.

RedsManRick
01-20-2009, 12:24 AM
I think there is a lot more being made about this than there should be.

These guys would be throwing innings in ST anyways. These are a little more stressful innings, but its not like its adding 30 innings to their work load directly before the start of the season.

I forget, are there little league like pitch limits? I'm a lot less worried about the innings count than I am the manager of a foreign team playing for respect making a Reds pitcher throw when he's tired.

dougdirt
01-20-2009, 12:29 AM
I forget, are there little league like pitch limits? I'm a lot less worried about the innings count than I am the manager of a foreign team playing for respect making a Reds pitcher throw when he's tired.

Yes, there are pitch counts in the WBC.

Big Klu
01-20-2009, 12:35 AM
To be exact, Volquez has thrown 21.2 innings and Cueto has thrown 15.2 IP. Plus they are both participating in the World Baseball Classic. A smart organization would have given them the choice between pitching in the DWL or WBC, not both.

If I recall correctly, Bud Selig explicitly instructed clubs that they were not allowed to prohibit players from participating in the WBC.

Caveat Emperor
01-20-2009, 01:05 AM
If I recall correctly, Bud Selig explicitly instructed clubs that they were not allowed to prohibit players from participating in the WBC.

All the worrying is much ado about nothing, IMO. As has been stated, injuries are going to happen if they're going to happen -- if a pitcher blows his arm out at the WBC, there's a good probability that he would've blown his arm out in spring training anyway. If the Reds are really concerned about Cueto and Volquez, they can limit their innings in ST play accordingly.

The NHL releases its best players every 4 years to play in the Olympics and they seem to get along just fine. Heck, the last time the WBC was played, I don't seem to recall any of the participants suffering adversely for their play.

Big Klu
01-20-2009, 02:01 AM
All the worrying is much ado about nothing, IMO. As has been stated, injuries are going to happen if they're going to happen -- if a pitcher blows his arm out at the WBC, there's a good probability that he would've blown his arm out in spring training anyway. If the Reds are really concerned about Cueto and Volquez, they can limit their innings in ST play accordingly.

The NHL releases its best players every 4 years to play in the Olympics and they seem to get along just fine. Heck, the last time the WBC was played, I don't seem to recall any of the participants suffering adversely for their play.

I agree with you. International competition means a lot to just about everyone except Americans. The players and fans from other countries took this tournament extremely seriously in 2006. I think the players that participated for the USA in '06 also took it seriously--unfortunately, the majority of American fans did not. I think a significant number of American players who could have made Team USA better also chose not to take it seriously by electing not to participate. As you said, hockey players participate in the Winter Olympics every four years. Also, soccer players from around the world participate in the World Cup every four years as well--apparently with little to no ill effects. Those players consider participation in those events as a great honor.

Mario-Rijo
01-20-2009, 03:01 AM

Yeah seen the Darvish videos on MLB network, he's got some nice break on that yacker or splitter whichever it is and some good side to side movement on his 92-93 MPH fastball. Seems to run in on RHH's and away from LH's. I believe he also features a solid change and he is very creative making up pitches as he goes sometimes. Apparently he stated he wanted to get 200 career wins under his belt before he considers coming accross the pond, he has like 48 or 58 and is 23 yrs old, he won a career high 16 games last season.

Mario-Rijo
01-20-2009, 03:07 AM

I believe they stated the pitch counts were to be roughly about 65 per outing (for starters I assumed). Not strictly 65 but very close, for example if they have a guy 1-2 and are at their limit they will let them get through the PA. At least that was gone over in the roster selection show they had yesterday evening at 6 est. Davey Johnson said that his team has every intention to make sure they do not abuse any of these guys. I'm glad Mario Soto will be watching our prized arms, assuming Cueto even makes it, he has some stiff competition on that Dominican team, and BTW what a team they have.

membengal
01-20-2009, 08:41 AM

There are indeed. But that wasn't the issue Silver found with the starters having problems from back in 2006 (relievers don't seem to have had the same problems as starters did--so that data is good for the Cordero part of this, for what it's worth). Go read Silver's piece and consider again how much of this team's success is hinging on two guys being fed to this particular experiment. The numbers for starters who pitched in the WBC in 2006 to start the season were horrible. In every sense. Despite pitch counts. Silver's guess as to why makes some sense to me. And I don't think the Reds, particularly with the Dusty, are all that enlightenend enough to study that data and make some early season allowances for the disruption to Volquez and Cueto's schedules. I hope I am wrong, but I really hate this for those two. And, yes, the data is limited to the 2006 experiment, but it IS data, and it is folly to ignore it, or simply close our eyes and hope that it will be different in 2009. The Reds should be affirmitively considering how to incorporate Volquez and Cueto back into routine following the month-long disruption to same, and doing everything they can minimize the danger to the start of the season. I really hope they are, but am not holding my breath.

Seriously, go back and read that Silver piece. It isn't so much an injury issue with the extra work (although I am not a fan of the extra high effort innings that early in the spring) as it is a disruption of routine. Regardless, LOOK at those numbers for 2006. And look at the names of those having issues. And if the Reds have Volquez and Cueto come out of the gate with ERAs around six for the first month and a half, it is going to be a LONG year. In a perfect world, I wouldn't chance it.

redsmetz
01-20-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm going to repost this from the Rodriguez thread because I think it's pertinant:

I can't find a citation, but I thought they made some changes to the schedules (particularly the training schedule) to address some of the issues that took place last time. I thought part of it was that the tournament's schedule would overlap some of spring training's prep time. Then again, maybe it's that they're only reporting a week or two earlier to prepare.

What I was trying to recall here is that I thought I'd read somewhere that some specific training rules were going to be applied to address some of the concerns from the previous tournament specifically as it had to do with pitchers. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I'd seen that. Sorry I don't have particulars.

Chip R
01-20-2009, 10:17 AM
I see the Puerto Ricans are all set at catcher/1st/3rd/stache with Javy.

membengal
01-20-2009, 10:45 AM
RedsMetz, I hope you are right. Baseball certainly SHOULD have studied the starting pitcher issue after what happened in 2006. Still, even if they did, it is STILL an experiment this time around with regard to this event, and I don't want Volquez and Cueto a part of that experiment.

When I pasted my post from the other thread over here, the link to the Silver piece and the numbers he compiled stopped working. Here it is afresh:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=5054

gonelong
01-20-2009, 11:51 AM
I don't particularly care for the extra work on their arms, but I do like that Soto will be available to them for some time here, and then again in Spring Training.

GL

membengal
01-20-2009, 12:02 PM
That is a silver lining, gonelong. I like that too. Pehaps that will help with disruption to their routine, issue.

OnBaseMachine
02-14-2009, 06:02 PM
From John Fay:

One note: Edinson Volquez said he's pitching for the Dominican in the World Baseball Classic, but Johnny Cueto is not.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a8f2b1450-dd2e-4d55-957f-b9b02708d7e9&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

Jpup
02-14-2009, 07:31 PM
From John Fay:

One note: Edinson Volquez said he's pitching for the Dominican in the World Baseball Classic, but Johnny Cueto is not.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a8f2b1450-dd2e-4d55-957f-b9b02708d7e9&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

I'm glad to hear that about Cueto. I would much rather he pitch in Florida with the Reds. I can't wait to watch him pitch again. I expect big, big things from him over the next 2 years. I think this year will be very good after learning from his first year in the show.

membengal
02-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Just saw that too, and I am delighted. Glad Cueto is not going to be an experiment in this.

OnBaseMachine
02-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Six integral Reds set to play in Classic
Volquez, Cueto, Votto, Hairston make final cuts for tournament

By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- A total of nine Reds players, including six that play integral roles, will be representing their countries in the World Baseball Classic next month.

Final rosters were revealed on Tuesday, and there were no stunning additions or changes of heart.

First baseman Joey Votto will play for Team Canada, while starting pitchers Edinson Volquez and Johnny Cueto and center fielder Willy Taveras are set to play for the Dominican Republic. Utility player Jerry Hairston Jr. will play for Mexico, and catcher Ramon Hernandez will play for Venezuela.

Participating players will leave camp to join their squads on March 1. The 16-team World Baseball Classic tournament will run from March 5-23.

Among the Minor Leaguers in the organization, pitchers Alexander Smit and Juan Carlos Sulbaran are playing for the Netherlands while infielder Yen-Wen Kuo is headed to the Chinese Taipei club. Reds closer Francisco Cordero was on the Dominican preliminary roster but opted not to play because he is returning from offseason ankle surgery.

Votto, Taveras, Hernandez and possibly Hairston are expected to be regular players for Cincinnati this season. Reds manager Dusty Baker was expecting them to leave camp and is preparing the players, and his own team, accordingly.

"All the [Classic] guys, I will get them ready to go seven to nine innings," Baker said on Tuesday morning. "We have four days to do it. They'll take most of the at-bats while they are here."

Volquez, a 17-game winner and 2008 All-Star, and Cueto will form two of the Reds' starting five in 2009. They will benefit from having Reds special assistant to the general manager Mario Soto as the Dominican pitching coach.

MLB Network will televise 16 World Baseball Classic games, along with a nightly studio show dedicated to the tournament. ESPN will televise 23 games of the Classic in the U.S., including the semifinal and final games, across ESPN and ESPN2 and on its Spanish-language platform, ESPN Deportes.

There could be some chances for Reds players to compete against each other and against the United States squad. Both Canada and Venezuela are in pool C with the U.S. The first-round games for that group are being held at Rogers Centre in Votto's hometown of Toronto.

"At the end of the day, there is nothing like playing in a game and then going home and having dinner with your family," Votto said recently.

Since Team Canada also has Twins first baseman Justin Morneau, Votto was already told he'd likely be the designated hitter during the Classic.

The Dominican Republic is in pool D and playing its first-round games in San Juan, Puerto Rico. If Canada and the Dominican Republic advances, Volquez and Cueto could end up pitching to either Votto or Hernandez.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090224&content_id=3875454&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

OnBaseMachine
02-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Soto promises WBC watch on Volquez, Cueto

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

SARASOTA, Fla. — When Edinson Volquez and Johnny Cueto leave camp to play for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic, they'll have a persistent shadow.

To the good fortune of the Cincinnati Reds, Mario Soto is the Dominican pitching coach and he says, "I'll be watching them like a cat. I'll keep 'em out of trouble and working hard."

"From what I understand, a lot of players loafed and didn't do their work at the last WBC, but I'm going to make sure they do all their work and do it right," said Soto.

Soto says he doesn't believe the absences of Volquez and Cueto will hurt them in their preparation for their season with the Reds — unless they get hurt.

"Volquez will start the first game for the Dominican and Cueto probably will start the third game," said Soto.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2009/02/24/ddn022409redsnotesweb.html

WMR
02-24-2009, 09:34 PM
I thought Cueto wasn't going to participate? :angry:

reds44
03-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Volquez is pitching against the Marlins today for the DR.

reds44
03-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Dunn is batting 5th and playing RF for team USA today.

reds44
03-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Volquez to Bonafacio:
foul bunt
ball
ball
foul
ball

Ground out to 1st.

OnBaseMachine
03-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Is the DR game on TV?

reds44
03-03-2009, 02:25 PM
No, I have it on gameday audio.

It's on 790 the ticket in Miami if you can find a stream somewhere.

reds44
03-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Volquez to Baker:
called strike
ball 1
strike 2
ball 2
strike 3

Baker strikes out swinging.

reds44
03-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Volquez to Ross:
ball 1
ball 2

Ross pops out to Reyes at SS

Volquez: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

reds44
03-03-2009, 02:34 PM
The USA/Yankees game is on MLB Network.

Dunn just K'd looking.

reds44
03-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Willy T, hitting 9th for the DR, just struck out.

reds44
03-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Volquez to Dallas McPherson:
strike 1
strike 2
ball 1
ball 2
ball 3
foul

McPherson flies out to Cruz on the warning track
1 out

reds44
03-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Volquez to Uggla:
strike 1
ball 1
ball 2
ball 3
foul

Uggla grounds out to Reyes at SS
5 up, 5 down for Edinson

reds44
03-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Hermida just took Volquez deep.

reds44
03-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Volquez to Maybin:
strike 1
ball 1
ball 2
ball 3
strike 2

Volquez K's Maybin looking

Volquez: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 2 K

OnBaseMachine
03-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the updates, 44.

The DR plays the Netherlands at 11:00 AM Saturday. Volquez will most likely start that game. It'll be televised though I'm not sure whose carrying it.

reds44
03-03-2009, 03:04 PM
That was Volquez's final line.

reds44
03-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the updates, 44.

The DR plays the Netherlands at 11:00 AM Saturday. Volquez will most likely start that game. It'll be televised though I'm not sure whose carrying it.
The Marlins announcer said Volquez will start that game against the Marlins pitcher Rick Vandenhurk.

BRM
03-03-2009, 03:05 PM

ESPN2 has it. The schedule is HERE (http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/schedule/) for those interested.

OnBaseMachine
03-03-2009, 03:07 PM
ESPN2 has it. The schedule is HERE (http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/schedule/)for those interested.

Thanks.

The Marlins announcer said Volquez will start that game against the Marlins pitcher Rick Vandenhurk.

I was hoping it would be Volquez vs Juan Carlos Sulbaran.

Screwball
03-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Whole lotta 3 ball counts from Edinson. I was hoping to see him take a step forward with his pitch efficiency this year. Of course it's still early, so he may very well take that step, but I just don't wanna see him throwing 125-130 pitches because Dusty thinks "starters should go 7."

OnBaseMachine
03-04-2009, 12:34 AM
Hairstons celebrate heritage at Classic
Brothers represent Mexico, where father played and married mother

By Jesse Sanchez / MLB.com

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Big league brothers Jerry Hairston Jr. and Scott Hairston were born in the United States but are a natural fit for Team Mexico in this year's World Baseball Classic.

Call it their birthright.

"It is a tremendous honor to be asked to play for Mexico," Jerry Hairston Jr. said. "We understand the culture and how important this team is to the country. It's a tremendous opportunity, and I'm very thankful."

Junior should probably thank his dad first. You can argue Hairston's father, former Major League player Jerry Hairston Sr., made it all possible. Baseball also probably deserves a little credit, too.

Hairston Sr. played most of his summers in his 14-year career during the 1970s and 1980s with the Chicago White Sox, but he spent every winter in Mexico, playing primarily for the Hermosillo Naranjeros.

The elder Hairston smiles when he thinks of his time south of the border. He is especially proud to be the first player to hit a home run at Hermosillo's famed Hector Espino Stadium in 1972.

"I don't know if people really know how much I appreciated being down there and what the Mexican people mean to me," said Hairston Sr., now the hitting coach for the White Sox Rookie League team. "When you go down there as a young kid at 21 having never experienced another culture, you embrace it. They knew I wanted to learn the language, and they tried to help me."

Hairston Sr. became a baseball hero in the country, winning a Mexican League batting title and playing on a pair of Caribbean Series teams for Mexico.

He also became a husband.

Hairston Sr. met his wife-to-be, then known as professor Esperanza Arellano, at a dinner party after one of his Winter League games. The attraction was instant. She was pretty, smart and kind. Fortunately for Hairston Sr., she was also bilingual. Arellano was born in Navojoa, Mexico, in the northern state of Sonora and moved to Hermosillo to teach English. She's been teaching her husband Spanish ever since.

"There was this teacher friend of Esperanza's that was always at the ballpark with the children, and I would sign autographs for the kids," Hairston Sr. said. "I guess she thought I was a nice guy, so she invites me to this party and I meet Esperanza there. We hit it off, and I get her number. I guess you can say the rest is history."

The couple married on Jan. 6, 1974, at a church named Santuario Guadalupano in Hermosillo. A few hours later, the newlyweds were recognized in a ceremony near home plate at Hector Espino Stadium, complete with bridesmaids and an aisle created by players' raised bats.

The Hairstons returned to the United States, and Jerry Jr. was born about two years later, on May 29, 1976, in Des Moines, Iowa. Scott was born on May 25, 1980, in Fort Worth, Texas. The couple also has three other children, all born in Illinois.

"They were all born in different places, but my children know where they come from and what their heritage is," Hairston Sr. said. "We Hairstons, we just fly under the radar. Live life, play our game and do what we do. I'm very proud of them."

Papa should be proud.

Hairston Jr. is currently an infielder with the Reds. In 11 big league seasons, he has a .260 batting average in 898 games. In five seasons with the Diamondbacks and Padres, Scott Hairston has a .246 average in 344 games starting in 2004.

Hairston Jr. will see some action at second base for Team Mexico but can also play in the outfield. His brother will likely start in the outfield on Sunday, when Mexico opens up World Baseball Classic play against Australia in Mexico City's Foro Del Sol.

But first, Team Mexico will play three exhibition games, including a matchup against the Arizona Diamondbacks on Friday in Hermosillo on the same field the Hairstons celebrated their nuptials 35 years ago. This week also marks the first time the brothers will play on the same team as adults.

"A lot of people think because I don't speak Spanish that I'm not proud to be Mexican, but I am," Scott Hairston said. "It just turned out that growing up we spoke English at home and at the schools we went to. I want to learn. I'm committed to learn Spanish so I can better communicate with my family in Mexico and my teammates."

If it seems as if Scott is starting to sound like his father, it's because he is. And it's fitting because it is going to be like the 1970s all over again. Look for Esperanza in the stands at Hector Espino Stadium cheering on a Hairston. Only this time, Hairston Sr. will be seated next to her.

"My wife is so happy and so excited about them representing Mexico, her country, their country," Hairston Sr. said. "She was a little upset they weren't selected the first time around, but she can't wait to get down there for this one."

http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090303&content_id=3913122&vkey=wbc&team

OnBaseMachine
03-04-2009, 12:48 AM
Reds in WBC today
Posted by TimCurtis at 3/3/2009 8:12 PM EST on Cincinnati.com

A look at what Reds-affiliated players did in today’s WBC exhibition action:

Joey Votto, CAN – Batted third and played left field (could see this a lot with former AL MVP Justin Morneau, also a 1B and also left-handed, on the team) and first base in 6-4 win over Toronto; 0-4, BB

Johnny Cueto, DOM – DNP in 10-1 win over Florida

Willy Taveras, DOM – Batted 10th and started in center field in 10-1 win over Florida; 1-3, R, K

Pedro Viola, DOM – Pitched in relief in 10-1 win over Florida; 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR

Edinson Volquez, DOM – Started in a 10-1 win over Florida; 2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 1 HR (to Jeremy Hermida)

Luca Panerati, ITA – Pitched in relief in 9-6 loss to Washington; 1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR (to Elijah Dukes)

Jerry Hairston Jr., MEX – Team DNP

Alexander Smit, NED – DNP in 5-4 loss to Pittsburgh

Juan Carlos Sulbaran, NED – DNP in 5-4 loss to Pittsburgh

Yen-Wen Kuo, TPE – DNP in 13-2 loss to Seibu Lions

Ramon Hernandez, VEN –Batted ninth and started at catcher in 7-5 loss to Detroit; 0-1, 2 BB

Ramon Ramirez, VEN – DNP in 7-5 loss to Detroit

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a91c2b578-ddd6-472d-8c3e-9513aef061ff&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

OnBaseMachine
03-04-2009, 02:58 AM
Volquez brings new laurels to Classic
Reds right-hander will open tournament Saturday for Dominicans

By Steve Dorsey / Special to MLB.com

JUPITER, Fla. -- Edinson Volquez ranked among the National League leaders in most pitching categories last year, his first full season in the Major Leagues. He was the Reds' lone representative in the All-Star Game and was voted by the Cincinnati chapter of the Baseball Writers' Association of America as the winner of the Johnny Vander Meer Award for the staff's Most Outstanding Pitcher.

Despite his stats and accomplishments, Volquez did not receive any votes in the NL Cy Young Award balloting. Volquez does not seem to harbor any bad feelings toward the voters for the snub, however.

"I think [Tim] Lincecum was better," Volquez said Tuesday, referring to last year's winner. "That's the way I look at it."

Dominican Republic manager Felipe Alou said that Volquez, 25, will be the starting pitcher for the team's World Baseball Classic opener Saturday against Puerto Rico in San Juan. Alou gave Volquez two innings of work Tuesday afternoon in the Dominicans' 10-1 exhibition win against the Florida Marlins at Roger Dean Stadium, the team's first of three tuneup games for the tournament.

Volquez threw 35 pitches, including 19 strikes, struck out two, walked none and gave up only one hit, a second-inning home run by Marlins left fielder Jeremy Hermida. Volquez then struck out Cameron Maybin to end the inning and also his workload for the day.

The right-hander was upbeat about his abbreviated outing Tuesday and seems intent on having an even better season this year, hinting that 20 wins could be on the horizon.

"I hope so. I want to win 20 games or more," Volquez said. "I think [Reds manager] Dusty Baker is going to be happy, too. I'm going to do the best I can. If I win the Cy Young, all the better."

Alou said he liked what he saw in Volquez's two innings of work Tuesday and might give the right-hander another short stint -- no more than 15 or so pitches -- again on Thursday when the Dominicans play the Cardinals at Roger Dean Stadium, the final exhibition game before they leave for Puerto Rico and the start of the Classic.

The Dominicans play the Orioles on Wednesday in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., with right-hander Johnny Cueto, also a Reds teammate of Volquez's, the scheduled starting pitcher.

Volquez's 2008 season was in stark contrast to his inaugural Major League stint four years ago with the Texas Rangers, when he posted an 0-4 record and a 14.21 ERA after his first callup from the Minors. Volquez toiled for most of '06 in the Rangers' Minor League system to work on his control. He was traded to the Reds -- along with Danny Herrera -- in a deal for Josh Hamilton after the '07 season, setting the stage for his remarkable turnaround last year.

Volquez was 7-1 with a 1.33 ERA in his first nine starts for Cincinnati in '08. He allowed no more than one earned run in all but one of those starts, the first Reds pitcher to do that in 96 years.

By the All-Star break, Volquez had a sparkling 12-3 record, a 2.29 ERA and 126 strikeouts, earning him his first selection to the Midsummer Classic. He slipped slightly in early August, but finished the season with a 17-6 record and a 3.21 ERA, eighth best in the NL.

Even though he was ineligible for the NL Rookie of the Year Award, the BBWAA inadvertently placed Volquez on the ballot after the season, and he received three second-place votes for the honor, which went to Geovany Soto.

Volquez also said he has enjoyed being around his Dominican teammates the past two days.

"It's unbelievable, being with those guys, like A-Rod [Alex Rodriguez] and David Ortiz," Volquez said. "It's amazing to play with those guys."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090303&content_id=3913478&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

blumj
03-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Willy Taveras, DOM – Batted 10th and started in center field in 10-1 win over Florida; 1-3, R, K
Batted 10th?

puca
03-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Reds in WBC today
Posted by TimCurtis at 3/3/2009 8:12 PM EST on Cincinnati.com

A look at what Reds-affiliated players did in today’s WBC exhibition action:

Joey Votto, CAN – Batted third and played left field (could see this a lot with former AL MVP Justin Morneau, also a 1B and also left-handed, on the team) and first base in 6-4 win over Toronto; 0-4, BB

Johnny Cueto, DOM – DNP in 10-1 win over Florida

Pedro Viola, DOM – Pitched in relief in 10-1 win over Florida; 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR

Edinson Volquez, DOM – Started in a 10-1 win over Florida; 2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 1 HR (to Jeremy Hermida)

Luca Panerati, ITA – Pitched in relief in 9-6 loss to Washington; 1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR (to Elijah Dukes)

Jerry Hairston Jr., MEX – Team DNP

Alexander Smit, NED – DNP in 5-4 loss to Pittsburgh

Juan Carlos Sulbaran, NED – DNP in 5-4 loss to Pittsburgh

Yen-Wen Kuo, TPE – DNP in 13-2 loss to Seibu Lions

Ramon Hernandez, VEN –Batted ninth and started at catcher in 7-5 loss to Detroit; 0-1, 2 BB

Ramon Ramirez, VEN – DNP in 7-5 loss to Detroit

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a91c2b578-ddd6-472d-8c3e-9513aef061ff&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

Batting 10th? Perfect spot for Taveras.

nate
03-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Batting 10th? Perfect spot for Taveras.

I have no problem with him batting 10th and playing rover!

Chip R
03-04-2009, 11:22 AM
To the good fortune of the Cincinnati Reds, Mario Soto is the Dominican pitching coach and he says, "I'll be watching them like a cat. I'll keep 'em out of trouble and working hard."

Hopefully that cat isn't Garfield.

Strikes Out Looking
03-04-2009, 03:54 PM
I think the one good thing about the WBC is the chance to see if Joey Votto can handle LF. It would then make the Alonso question which may be coming in the near future much easier to deal with for the Reds.

OnBaseMachine
03-04-2009, 03:57 PM
In today's game, Cueto allowed a 3-run homer to Wigginton in the first inning and then retired the final five batters he faced.

Willy Taveras is 2-for-2 with a HBP.

BRM
03-04-2009, 03:57 PM
I think the one good thing about the WBC is the chance to see if Joey Votto can handle LF. It would then make the Alonso question which may be coming in the near future much easier to deal with for the Reds.

Which will be even more interesting if Dickerson is healthy and hitting well at the time.

BRM
03-04-2009, 04:01 PM
In today's game, Cueto allowed a 3-run homer to Wigginton in the first inning and then retired the final five batters he faced.

3 ER, 5 hits, 0 BB, 0 K in 3 IP.

Votto went 0-2 with a BB. He was the DH today.

OnBaseMachine
03-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Taveras finished 3-for-3 with a HBP.

redsmetz
03-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Taveras finished 3-for-3 with a HBP.

OK, who is the hitting coach for the Dominican team? Lets get him to stick around Willy for the summer.

reds44
03-04-2009, 06:24 PM
The trick was batting him 10th.

;)

11larkin11
03-05-2009, 01:04 AM
He actually led off today.

11larkin11
03-05-2009, 01:09 AM
Hairston went 2-5 with a 2B, HR, and 4 RBI today in Mexico's 19-4 win over the Diamondbacks. His HR was off Brandon Webb, too.

11larkin11
03-05-2009, 01:11 AM
Ramon Ramirez's line today: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO

vs. Astros

BRM
03-06-2009, 12:43 PM
In their various World Baseball Classic tune-ups on Thursday, Joey Votto (as the DH) was 0-for-2, Willy Taveras was 0-for-1, Ramon Hernandez was 0-for-3 and Jerry Hairston Jr. was 1-for-5. Hairston played right field and center field.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/

bucksfan2
03-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Don't quite understand this. Jerry Hariston Jr. was born in Iowa. Jerry Hariston Sr. was born in Alabama. Jerry Hariston Jr. is playing for the Mexican team. WHY?

RichRed
03-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Don't quite understand this. Jerry Hariston Jr. was born in Iowa. Jerry Hariston Sr. was born in Alabama. Jerry Hariston Jr. is playing for the Mexican team. WHY?

His mom was born in Mexico, which is apparently enough to qualify him to play for the Mexican team.

marcshoe
03-06-2009, 04:21 PM
See post 54.

redsmetz
03-08-2009, 09:16 AM
His mom was born in Mexico, which is apparently enough to qualify him to play for the Mexican team.

Here are the eligibility rules for the tournament.

Added: Also one key, not in Hairston case, is that if you're eligible for citizenship in the country you represent, then you are eligible to play. Some of the players on the Italian team, both this year and in 2006, fall under that category. And Italy's laws, from a quick check on my part, allows citizenship if you have direct lineage through your father's family. Which means if you've got an Italian name, you're directly linked and eligible.

That wouldn't necessarily be the case for other countries. For instance, I'm third generation Irish and German (in Cincinnati, go figure!), but I'm not certain I'm automatically eligible for citizenship in either country, but other countries' laws do differ.

PLAYER ELIGIBILITY
Each player on a Team's approved Provisional Roster must be eligible to participate for that Team. A player will be so eligible only if:

* The player was born in the nation or territory the Team represents, as evidenced by a birth certificate or its equivalent or in player records maintained by Major League Baseball, Nippon Professional Baseball or the Korean Baseball Organization; or
* The player has one parent who is, or if deceased was, a citizen of the nation the Team represents, as evidenced by a passport or other documentation satisfactory to WBCI and the IBAF; or
* The player has one parent who was born in the nation or territory the Team represents, as evidenced by a birth certificate or its equivalent.

If a player is qualified for citizenship or to hold a passport under the laws of a nation represented by a Team, but has not been granted citizenship or been issued a passport, then the player may be made eligible by WBCI upon petition by the player or Team. Such petition must include documentary evidence showing to the satisfaction of WBCI that the player would be granted citizenship or a passport in due course under the laws of the nation represented by that Team, had the player applied for such citizenship or passport.

Each Team shall submit to WBCI on or before the time it submits its proposed Provisional Roster the evidence supporting the eligibility of each of the players on its proposed Provisional Roster, unless WBCI grants an extension in regard to a player. If such an extension is granted, evidence supporting the eligibility of such player shall be submitted to WBCI as soon as practicable after January 16, 2009, but in no event later than a date to be set by WBCI with respect to such player.

In the event a player is eligible to play on more than one Team, the Player may select the Team for which he wishes to play, provided that nothing shall prohibit such a player from declaring his willingness to play for any Team for which he is eligible to play.

If a player on a Team's approved Provisional Roster or approved Tournament Roster is subsequently determined, in the sole discretion of WBCI, not to have been eligible to participate for that Team, the player shall be removed from the Tournament Roster and shall not be eligible to play in the remainder of the Tournament. Such ineligible player may not be replaced on the Team's Tournament Roster. WBCI may, in its discretion, impose sanctions upon any Team that WBCI determines has used one or more ineligible players.