PDA

View Full Version : Hot Stove League show report

Chip R
01-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Here is the Reds Hot Stove league show recap for 1-20-09.

Marty and Thom were the hosts tonight.

They talked about EE and David Weathers exchanging arbitration numbers with the Reds. They mentioned that the Reds signed Gomes. They said that Ryan Howard is asking for $18M in arbitration and the Phils are offering $14M. They said that they Yankees signed Xavier Nady to a 1 year deal for $6.65M. They said the Red Sox signed Papelbon for around $6M and the Dodgers signed Russell Martin to a $3.9M deal for a year.

Marty said that it seems that Nady's and Swisher's names keep coming up in trade talks. Marty also wondered why the Reds seemed to still be interested in Abreu. Thom said that he's the best available even though he's a lefty there are really only two lefty hitters in the lineup with Bruce and Votto.

The first caller asked if they had any interest in bringing Dunn back. Marty said he's not going to get signed unless he cmes down off his price some more and the Dodgers seem to be interested in him if Manny doesn't re-sign with them. Marty said that he has heard that Dunn is in the best shape of his life now and if that's the case he's been stealing money from the Reds for several years now playing out of shape and there's no way in the world he wants him back.

Someone asked if the clubhose would be different without Dunn and Jr. Marty said it was a different atmosphere the minute they were gone since the younger players seemed reluctant to show leadership with veterans like Jr. and Dunn around.

Someone said they read a blog that said the Reds were interested in bringing Sean Casey back. Marty said he hadn't heard a thing about it and Thom said that Sean is thinking about retiring.

Another caller asked if the Reds would be interested in Randy Wolf or John Garland. Marty said there's several guys in their shoes like Pedro, Oliver Perez and Ben Sheets. Marty thinks Sheets is too much of an injury risk.

Someone asked about Gomes' numbers against left handers and neither Brennaman had a clue.

Another caller asked whether Valaika and or Roenecke had a shot at making the club. Marty said that the only spot on the pitching staff that's open is for the 5th starter.

Some kid called up and asked what he could expect out of spring training. Marty said a wonderful time.

Another caller asked if Juan Francisco could make the club. Thom said no and he's only been as high as low A ball.

Marty said the first ST broadcast will be on Feb 25th against the Rays.

Another caller asked who JimBo would sign first, Jr. or Dunn. Marty said probably Dunn and Jr. will probably go to SEA.

Someone asked where the Reds would finish in the division. Thom said they are the most improved team in the division outside of the Cubs.

The next caller asked if the Reds could compete without that RH power hitter. Marty said EE and Hernandez have to step it up and if they do, they won't need one.

Someopne asked if the Reds were interested in getting Francouer from ATL. Marty doesn't like his 180 Ks and lack of walks.

Another person asked about Andruw Jones. Thom thinks it wouldn't be a bad idea. Marty said that ATL may offer him a minor league deal.

Someone asked if Nomar would be a good addition. Thom said he got hurt in ST and they had to bring DeWitt up and he did well. Then when De Witt got hurt and Nomar played, they weren't satisfied with Nomar. They think his best days are behind him.

The next caller asked about Livingston. Dr. K happened to be in studio and he said he's doing great and throwing with no pain. Marty asked him about Gonzo and Dr. K said he was doing well and pain free too. He will go down and see him in FLA. Marty asked when will they know if Gonzo can go. Dr. K said probably the 1st 2 weeks of ST.

camisadelgolf
01-21-2009, 01:25 AM
It's interesting that they talked about Livingston because he just signed with the Orioles.

By the way, thank you very much for doing this, Chip R.

*BaseClogger*
01-21-2009, 02:01 AM
Someone asked about Gomes' numbers against left handers and neither Brennaman had a clue.

This is their job! :thumbup:

KronoRed
01-21-2009, 02:40 AM
Marty must get paid by the Dunn mention ;)

Ron Madden
01-21-2009, 03:30 AM
It's interesting that they talked about Livingston because he just signed with the Orioles.

By the way, thank you very much for doing this, Chip R.

More often than not the average RedsZone member is far more informed than ANY voice you hear on 700 WLW about current MLB events.

If the Reds don't issue a press release or if McCoy or Fay don't print it.. It's like it never happened.

And these loud mouth egomaniacs have the nerve to accuse players of not doing their jobs and stealing from their employers.

Thanks Chip, You da man!!!

mth123
01-21-2009, 06:22 AM
More often than not the average RedsZone member is far more informed than ANY voice you hear on 700 WLW about current MLB events.

If the Reds don't issue a press release or if McCoy or Fay don't print it.. It's like it never happened.

And these loud mouth egomaniacs have the nerve to accuse players of not doing their jobs and stealing from their employers.

I think that Marty has been stealing from the Reds for years by going on the air so generally uninformed.

If it wasn't for GMs bringing in guys like Kirk Saarloos, Jeff Conine and Willy Taveras, Marty would easily rank as my least favorite Reds figure.

I actually think Thom shows flashes of getting it, but the young guy seems reluctant to show any leadership with Marty still around.

RedsBaron
01-21-2009, 06:29 AM
I actually think Thom shows flashes of getting it, but the young guy seems reluctant to show any leadership with Marty still around.

:laugh:

cincrazy
01-21-2009, 06:35 AM
I think it's a bit harsh to say Dunn's been "stealing" money from the Reds when he's averaged 40 home run's a year. However, I'm not going to say it doesn't bother me to see him wait until FA to drop 20 lbs and get in the shape he was in upon his arrival in 2001.

icehole3
01-21-2009, 06:44 AM
Marty must get paid by the Dunn mention ;)

If he had said no comment, folks here wouldve said he wasnt informed or he was stealing from the Reds... what he said about Dunn was dead on because he was paid well and he really was biding his time to become a free agent. The whole Dunn situation is sad IMO.

LoganBuck
01-21-2009, 07:40 AM
Someone said they read a blog that said the Reds were interested in bringing Sean Casey back. Marty said he hadn't heard a thing about it and Thom said that Sean is thinking about retiring.

Rod from Norwood was that caller.

Marty's line about Dunn stealing did grate on me. However he does have a point, if he is now in the "best shape of his life" it does play into the notion that he wasn't working as hard as he should have been.

jesusfan
01-21-2009, 08:16 AM

Sad but true... That is what's wrong with baseball. You only get in if you know somebody, not necessarily to play the game, but definitely to coach, GM, scout, you name it. This isn't the case all the time, but I would say at least 80% of it is like this. Politics are all over baseball, you really do get people that don't know anymore about baseball than you and I.

redsmetz
01-21-2009, 10:33 AM
I think MLB worked something out on this (as it was an issue at first), but does Kremchek have like a blanket release from HIPAA requirements to make statements about players medical conditions?

REDREAD
01-21-2009, 10:49 AM

Excellent point. I can't remember the last time that Marty came to a broadcast with some new Reds related material. He's really gotten lazy with the writers coming in the 2nd inning and seems to use that to catch up on the news at the same time the fans do.

Although I can see why none of the players are anxious to give Marty any kind of human interest information about what is going on in their lives, since he is such a jerk to them.

westofyou
01-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Someopne asked if the Reds were interested in getting Francouer from ATL. Marty doesn't like his 180 Ks and lack of walks.

Jeff must have a stipulation in his contract, evidently HE is payed to walk.

Dear Reds Conduit to the fans,

http://www.baseball-reference.com/

Your friend Bored Listener

Some kid called up and asked what he could expect out of spring training. Marty said a wonderful time.

Informative and charming as always. The face of the franchise, thinking mostly about college basketball at this juncture of the off season and hitting his usual piņata's for 60 minutes on the big one.

I(heart)Freel
01-21-2009, 11:23 AM
This is their job! :thumbup:

In their defense, I would bet no one on here could answer that question off the top of their heads. Sure... baseball-reference.com and others provide the data. But they're in a studio, live, trying to move the show along.

That said, a better answer would've been to point the caller to the information and then wax poetic about general lefty/righty splits and their opinions about platoons etc.

BCubb2003
01-21-2009, 11:23 AM
It has to be kind of weird to be a Hall-of-Famer and still be active. Can you imagine being the coach of a Hall-of-Famer who needs to take extra batting practice? How do you tell him?

nate
01-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Hey, quit bashing Marty! He's a Hall of Fame broadcaster and shelters homeless kittens in his hair!

WVRedsFan
01-21-2009, 11:39 AM
It's easy to trash Marty, especcially if you don't like him, as many on here do not. I understand that.

That said, i imagine they didn't know Gomes' stats because, like me, they don't expect him to contribute much, even if he makes the club which is questionable. Walt is dealing like so many other Reds GM's in going to the trash can, finding the best piece of trash and signing him. I still feel like the only way to eclipse 81 wins is to boost your lineup with a free agent who really is good. We haven't seen that yet and probably won't.

westofyou
01-21-2009, 11:47 AM
In their defense, I would bet no one on here could answer that question off the top of their heads. Sure... baseball-reference.com and others provide the data. But they're in a studio, live, trying to move the show along.

Wi Fi and a laptop are out of the question eh?

Shoot if they had the $5 USA Today Baseball Year End issue like I have they could have answered it.

Times have changed, people expect experts with knowledge, not just opinions.

TRF
01-21-2009, 12:23 PM

Shoot if they had the $5 USA Today Baseball Year End issue like I have they could have answered it.

Well you won't get that out of Marty. One of the best HR calls around. He can really get you excited just describing a play.

But he flat sucks when it comes to promoting his product: Cincinnati Reds Baseball. He displays absolutely no knowledge of the game and how it's played. He has no gift for the nuances. He can't teach kids about the game, he just spews bile against the things he doesn't understand. The smartest thing BCast could do is put him out to pasture. Sadly he lined up his replacement, and Thom is more of the same. The Cowboy is just as bad. I hope he never lives down that stupid clutch statement. Did you know the Reds website took that highlight down?

Claiming Dunn stole from the Reds because he is now in the best shape he's been in in years is flat silly and ignores the facts. Dunn played with a broken hand for over a month one season. He played over a season with a torn meniscus. He was a rock in the lineup, right his name in pen. He played hurt and through boos of fans that don't understand just how valuable getting on base is, cuz strikeouts are teh suck.

*BaseClogger*
01-21-2009, 01:37 PM

That said, a better answer would've been to point the caller to the information and then wax poetic about general lefty/righty splits and their opinions about platoons etc.

I wasn't expecting him to give me his wOBA against lefties off the top of his head. I was expecting him to at least have a clue, like Gomes has defined platoon splits. I knew that off the top of my head, and it is the first thing I verified when I read the news. The first thing Marty thought about when he read the name was whether or not the guy wears his socks up high...

REDREAD
01-21-2009, 02:40 PM
It's easy to trash Marty, especcially if you don't like him, as many on here do not. I understand that.

That said, i imagine they didn't know Gomes' stats because, like me, they don't expect him to contribute much, even if he makes the club which is questionable. Walt is dealing like so many other Reds GM's in going to the trash can, finding the best piece of trash and signing him. I still feel like the only way to eclipse 81 wins is to boost your lineup with a free agent who really is good. We haven't seen that yet and probably won't.

The guy was just picked up by the Reds. It was the only transaction this week, and Marty is doing a Hot Stove League show. If Marty actually prepared for the show, he would've led off the show discussing the new acquision and pointing out platoon splits, etc.

At bare minimum, can't Marty have someone print out his stat sheet before he goes on the air?

I guess that's one of my main beefs with Marty. He really doesn't add any value to the show. He just comes on and wings it. During his regular broadcasts in the season, he will say stuff like over 1/2 of Dunn's HRs are solo shots when it is not true. He just makes up stuff. He really should have more pride in his work. Instead, he comes totally unprepared and just coasts.

KronoRed
01-21-2009, 03:25 PM
If he had said no comment, folks here wouldve said he wasnt informed or he was stealing from the Reds... what he said about Dunn was dead on because he was paid well and he really was biding his time to become a free agent. The whole Dunn situation is sad IMO.
Dunn did his job well for this team for years and earned his money, can't say the same about many other employees.

I'm betting the "best shape of his life" is just fluff thrown into take a shot at Dunn, when ST hits I'm guessing we see the same Dunn we've seen the past few years, just in a different uniform.

I(heart)Freel
01-21-2009, 03:28 PM

For the record, Marty is a play by play man. Not an expert, per se. "Then why does he have a Hot Stove league show" you correctly ask? Because it's the only show the Reds currently have, and instead of bringing in experts and stat heads and such, they bring in their broadcasters who end up just being a reason to tune into Reds on Radio during the cold winter months.

This is not a show for people like us who post on fan sites. Sorry, but it's not. It's for my dad and his ilk, who just want to hear opinion and a familiar voice during the long cold months of winter.

reds44
01-21-2009, 03:30 PM

Then make a general statement that he is much better vs. lefties than righties, and say you'll have somebody look it up. Better than "I don't know."

BuckeyeRedleg
01-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Dunn hit 40 HR's, 100 RBI and was one of the most productive offensive forces in baseball every year at an average cost of around $5M per year.

If anything the Reds stole from Dunn by not providing his team adequate pitching during the prime of his baseball career. He more than held up his end.

westofyou
01-21-2009, 03:46 PM
For the record, Marty is a play by play man. Not an expert, per se. "Then why does he have a Hot Stove league show" you correctly ask? Because it's the only show the Reds currently have, and instead of bringing in experts and stat heads and such, they bring in their broadcasters who end up just being a reason to tune into Reds on Radio during the cold winter months.

This is not a show for people like us who post on fan sites. Sorry, but it's not. It's for my dad and his ilk, who just want to hear opinion and a familiar voice during the long cold months of winter.

I'm well aware of Marty's resume and his job title, as well as his body of work outside of calling a game.

But of course that's where my issue lies, as for the Reds setting the bar that low as an outlet I can't accept it, it's bush, pay matt to sit there and get the stat answers for hm, let someone help him in that regard, it enhances the product, it's the mustard and kraut on the dog, the poppy seeds on the bun, the greater sum of something other than a pov that comes from high above the field in the broadcasters booth.

This is how I see it, I's like the fable of the blind men and the elephant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Men_and_an_Elephant), Baseball is the elephant and there are a million blind men out there trying to describe this elephant to everyone, the Reds have one blind man describing it for the radio listeners... and it seems like he's worked his way around to the back of the elephant and he doesn't really like that area.

RedEye
01-21-2009, 03:46 PM

This is a ridiculous claim. I just want Marty to back up what he says with something other than flagrantly biased and anecdotal evidence. Frankly, a "no comment" would have been much appreciated.

If Dunn was somehow "tanking" or, as you put it, "biding his time" while he was here, it is news to me. Dunn is and has always been a big man. But, if you remember, he repeatedly came to Spring Training "in the best shape of his life." Just look at photos from every year--it is clear he worked hard every off season to get in shape for the season, and this year is no different in that regard.

What's more, let's recall that Dunn "bided his time" by hitting 40 HR for five years running on Reds teams with no pitching...

Beating a dead horse, yada yada yada

Blitz Dorsey
01-21-2009, 03:54 PM

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. It always cracks me up that people get so bent out of shape about what Marty has to say on a show geared towards casual Reds fans (not diehards like most on this board that know more about the team than Marty).

membengal
01-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Except that what he says on that show has a disproportionate impact on what those "casual reds fans" think about their team and the players on it. So, yeah, it would be nice if he were somewhat informed about such matters. Just sayin'.

*BaseClogger*
01-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. It always cracks me up that people get so bent out of shape about what Marty has to say on a show geared towards casual Reds fans (not diehards like most on this board that know more about the team than Marty).

A caller asked him a simple question and he flat out answered "I don't know." Doesn't that seem silly?

WVRedsFan
01-21-2009, 04:09 PM

Ding-ding-ding we have a winner! Your pbp man is the "talent" in the booth. Put on a show for stat heads and you get 0 listeners (well, some because most of us would listen to endless statistics). Just like the ball games, this is an entertainment show. Joe Blow calls in as asks Mary or Thom what they think the Reds will do in a certain situation and they get an off the cuff opinion that may or may not be true. Sort of like most baseball call-in shows (that are endlessly on Sirius-XM now).

But, some will still trash Marty, Jeff, George, Chris, and whoever else is out there (Hal, Fay, everyone in the media) because they either have a personality conflict with them or any number of other things (spelling?). Joe was criticized heavily until he died, but no matter. Marty is what he is and that will be debated forever and a day.

membengal
01-21-2009, 04:11 PM
What's with the implication that a show for "stat heads" won't get listeners? If you are a baseball fan, you are by implication a "stat head". So people that tune into Hot Stove league are stat heads, in that they are baseball fans. Even if your favorite stat is average, Ks, or GIDPs. Whatever. Baseball fans live and breathe stats. Marty even reads them off when hitters come to the plate. No, really, he does!

It would be nice if he would be somewhat prepared to do the same when the Reds acquire a new guy ahead of him going on the air with his radio show. I don't understand why that is asking too much...

TRF
01-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Ding-ding-ding we have a winner! Your pbp man is the "talent" in the booth. Put on a show for stat heads and you get 0 listeners (well, some because most of us would listen to endless statistics). Just like the ball games, this is an entertainment show. Joe Blow calls in as asks Mary or Thom what they think the Reds will do in a certain situation and they get an off the cuff opinion that may or may not be true. Sort of like most baseball call-in shows (that are endlessly on Sirius-XM now).

But, some will still trash Marty, Jeff, George, Chris, and whoever else is out there (Hal, Fay, everyone in the media) because they either have a personality conflict with them or any number of other things (spelling?). Joe was criticized heavily until he died, but no matter. Marty is what he is and that will be debated forever and a day.

Marty doesn't bring any statistical analysis, but he should have BASIC facts in front of him. He doesn't bring a scouts POV, he can't break down an AB, point to a flaw in a delivery. What he is, is the voice of the Reds. What he does is the opposite of promotion. Don't team him with Thom, ever on the Hot Stove League. Team him with a stat guy OR a scout. Make the show meanigful instead of an extension of the banana phone. Be able to answer a question as simple as does player X hit LH's well.

Really, this isn't that hard.

westofyou
01-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Cincinnati Reds - Low expectations from the booth to the batters box, catch the fever.

But don't forget to cover your mouth when you cough, that stuff's contagious.

RANDY IN INDY
01-21-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm in the minority, but I still enjoy listening to Marty.

Matt700wlw
01-21-2009, 04:54 PM
We should start and sticky a Marty bashing thread.....anytime there's a Marty quote in any other thread, or it's a Hot Stove show thread, that's what it turns into.

Just trying to save some bandwidth :D

TRF
01-21-2009, 05:00 PM
We should start and sticky a Marty bashing thread.....anytime there's a Marty quote in any other thread, or it's a Hot Stove show thread, that's what it turns into.

Yeah, because the people complaining don't actually have a point, it's just ganging up on Marty.

REDREAD
01-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Cincinnati Reds - Low expectations from the booth to the batters box, catch the fever.

But don't forget to cover your mouth when you cough, that stuff's contagious.

Don't forget "The Power of Tradition" :) Marty's tradition of mediocrity continues.

It still amazes me that the Reds just picked up a guy that is probably going to get significant playing time (Gomez) and Marty has no clue about the guy on a show that is supposed to be about the offseason.

Marty accuses Dunn of stealing from the Reds, and then has the gall to call Barry Larkin classless :lol:

Yachtzee
01-21-2009, 05:04 PM

Can WLW not afford a stat stringer these days? I heard you can get an intern to sit in on the show for free and look up stuff on the internet to feed it to the hosts. While I wish Marty would keep his opinions to himself during a Reds game, I have no problem with Marty voicing his opinion on the Hot Stove League because it's more an open forum show. However, if he's going to voice his opinion, it would be nice if it would be an informed one.

Matt700wlw
01-21-2009, 05:07 PM
If the producer so chose, they could look it up...

Caveat Emperor
01-21-2009, 05:11 PM

We haven't had a REALLY good Marty bash in a while. We're about due.

Who knows -- maybe a shakeup at the Hot Stove League show could be your big break into sports talk radio. ;)

TRF
01-21-2009, 05:15 PM
If the producer so chose, they could look it up...

more laziness. Sorry, but the operation of this show is bush league. No offense to you Matt, but I worked in media for 15 years. I'd throw up if I was running a board for a show that is so ill-informed about it's own product.

Seems simple to me. An intern with a laptop and firefox. tabs open to basebal-reference.com, thebaseballcube.com and a few other sites. 30 minutes of prep on each topic to be discussed, with relevant stats and scout analysis of players discussed.

If Marty balks, find someone else to do the show. What's Stewart doing these days?

You'd find an INCREASE in listeners over time as you actually inform listeners instead of just ragging on Dunn and Bowden all the time. Here is a thought, have Marty explain the WHY behind his opinions once and a while and have an informed dissenting opinion by the co-host.

Chip R
01-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Today is the 34th? anniversary of Marty being hired.

I(heart)Freel
01-21-2009, 05:19 PM
You're entitled to your opinion about what the show should be.

And the producers of the show and Marty are entitled to theirs.

And guess which one wins out?

If you worked in media then you know the first rule of communications: know your audience. I'd love it if this show, if the game broadcasts, if the post game wrap up, if every aspect of Reds on Radio were tailored to me. But I'm pragmatic. I'm not the bulk of the audience. I'm minority opinion. I would wager that precious few out in Reds radioland are complaining today because Marty and Thom didn't mention Gomes' splits.

RANDY IN INDY
01-21-2009, 05:21 PM
I would wager that precious few out in Reds radioland are complaining today because Marty and Thom didn't mention Gomes' splits.

Probably right on the money with that one.

westofyou
01-21-2009, 05:21 PM
If you worked in media

I went to film school and had a year and a half in TV production prior to that. I know something about media.

What are your credentials?

membengal
01-21-2009, 05:23 PM
How is not knowing the basic facts about Jonny Gomes tailoring his show to the masses?

membengal
01-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Probably right on the money with that one.

He doesn't even NEED to actually mention the exact numbers. If he says
"Gomes murders lefties but struggles against righties. We shall see what he brings to Cincy..." that would inform listeners of the basic relevant Gomes info. See, no stats! But relevant information. I still don't get what is so hard about that. And its something Marty, or someone running the board, should know (or have access to).

TRF
01-21-2009, 05:28 PM
15 years as a television director. 12 years as a web designer/programmer. I'm pretty sure of my credentials.

That said, Marty is an institution. Guys like that get what they want, not what's best for the show. I worked with guys like that. They are out of touch with today's audience. Someone should tell Marty about the internets. it's this really cool thing where information is at almost anyone's fingertips.

Marty doesn't have to stop being Marty. WLW however has an obligation to at least try to be better. I know who wins in a disagreement between myself and the shows producers, just like I know who the real losers are, the listeners.

I(heart)Freel
01-21-2009, 05:29 PM
I went to film school and had a year and a half in TV production prior to that. I know something about media.

What are your credentials?

Sorry, didn't realize this was about me. But ok: journalism school. Fifteen years as a working journalist. Even got a SPJ award on my mantle.

But again, this goes back to the show. It isn't built for us. It really isn't. We really want it to be, but it isn't. Could they have a producer on a laptop throwing Marty/Thom the relevant stats? Sure... but it would delay the real reason for the show: more calls, more Marty air time.

TRF
01-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Sorry, didn't realize this was about me. But ok: journalism school. Fifteen years as a working journalist. Even got a SPJ award on my mantle.

But again, this goes back to the show. It isn't built for us. It really isn't. We really want it to be, but it isn't. Could they have a producer on a laptop throwing Marty/Thom the relevant stats? Sure... but it would delay the real reason for the show: more calls, more Marty air time.

If that's the reason for the show, that's not good enough. It's not about answering every question exactly, it's about prep. How in the world does he not know Gomes, the only Reds acquisition over the last week doesn't murder LH's and is weak against RH's. He doesn't need to know the numbers, but basic information?

Yeah, he NEEDS to know BASIC information about any Reds acquisition that MIGHT generate a question.

Matt700wlw
01-21-2009, 05:33 PM
I will agree... "I don't know" was a bad answer, or at least an incomplete answer.

I can't comment on much else, because I didn't hear the show.

westofyou
01-21-2009, 05:34 PM

Hey, it's about all of us, I have an opinion that I based on my experience in media as well as listening to the same sort of shows out of the Reds market, my take is the Reds mail it in and I see it as a result of the hosts and the listeners low expectations of what a show like that can do.

BCubb2003
01-21-2009, 05:39 PM
I'd listen to a show by Matt and westofyou.

*BaseClogger*
01-21-2009, 05:52 PM
How is not knowing the basic facts about Jonny Gomes tailoring his show to the masses?

:lol: because the masses are ill-informed too...

RANDY IN INDY
01-21-2009, 05:54 PM
And very true, but they still buy tickets and follow the game in their own way.

TRF
01-21-2009, 05:55 PM
And very true, but they still buy tickets and follow the game in their own way.

But what is wrong with actually knowing more than they do. If you ask Marty, I'm sure he'd say he knows more than the average fan about baseball.

It'd be nice if he proved it now and then.

RANDY IN INDY
01-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Nothing, if they want to make the effort.

cincrazy
01-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Man I can't wait for the season to start. All anyone has talked about since September is Marty and Dunn.

*BaseClogger*
01-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Man I can't wait for the season to start. All anyone has talked about since September is Marty and Dunn.

Yeah, we've glossed right over Dusty and Taveras... :evil:

KronoRed
01-21-2009, 06:33 PM

Sadly that won't stop when the season starts, look at Marty and his Bowden comments, he never lets anything die.

"It's the 7th inning and Dunn just struck out in Chicago, first pitch to Tavaeras is grounded to Short..."

;)

westofyou
01-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Here's what I would expect from Marty regarding "Gomes" at least an inkling that he was a platoon player, then he could draw from his experience and maybe discuss how guys like Gomes could be good platoon stop gaps.. kinda like Jeff Branson/Mark Lewis in 1995 while the Reds waited on Willie Greene. Then he could talk about how these sort of players can maximize use by exploiting the splits and the fact that they only start part time limits cost, thus the Reds don't have to hit the market for a FT player (though it might not hurt them to consider that)

All these can lead to Marty citing something he saw in the last 34 years as a Reds announcer, or maybe something he knew before then instead it just dies on the vine and the caller probably says... OK, guess I'll never call again with a question.

WVRedsFan
01-21-2009, 07:26 PM
You guys have just convinced me to skip the caravan stop in Charleston tomorrow since it's only Marty (pompous, lazy, uninformed Marty), Welsh (who talks too much and placates George), and Brandon Phillips (hacks at everything). No one worth seeing or talking to. :evil:

Mario-Rijo
01-21-2009, 08:00 PM
You guys have just convinced me to skip the caravan stop in Charleston tomorrow since it's only Marty (pompous, lazy, uninformed Marty), Welsh (who talks too much and placates George), and Brandon Phillips (hacks at everything). No one worth seeing or talking to. :evil:

I wish I could talk to Brandon at least then i'd know positively that the seed has been planted in his mind to lay off the crap. It's not always what you say to someone but sometimes how you say it. I'd talk up his ceiling if he does what "Barry Larkin" would/could do.

Chip R
01-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 1-20-09. Marty and Thom were the hosts tonight and they began the show by announcing that EE and David Weathers have exchanged arbitration figures with the Reds. They are asking for $3.7M and $4.6M respectively and the Reds have countered with $2.55M and $3M. Thom said the Reds signed Jonny Gomes to a minor league contract for $600K and if he makes the Reds he will get $800K. Thom said that Ryan Howard is asking for $18M in arbitration and the Phils are countering with $14M. He said Xavier Nady has signed a $6.65M 1 year deal with the Yankees. Jonathan Papelbon has signed a 1 year $5.25M deal with the Sox and the Dodgers have signed Russell Martin to a $3.9M deal. Thom said the Nady deal is interesting since he and Nick Swisher have been offered in trades. Marty asked Thom if he found it curious that the Reds have an interest in Bobby Abreu since all the talk has been about how the Reds need a RH hitter who can drive in runs. (I certainly do. I find it curious when the Reds are interested in good players instead of teh suck they have been bringing in.) Thom said you can get into the whole lefty-righty thing till you are blue in the face but the bottom line is who is the best player available that you can get your hands on and he's one of them. (I thought Marty said we didn't need lefties.) Thom said he's has a great big league career and thinks he still has something in the tank. Marty said that there are a lot of guys out there looking for jobs. Thom said that the Reds aren't nearly as left handed as they used to be with Votto and Bruce the only givens. Marty said he feels Walt is just lying in wait until the price goes down some more. He thought it odd Jon Garland and Randy Wolf refused offers from Arizona. He thinks they may be getting bad advice.

The first caller asked about Dunn and what he's asking for. Marty said he's going to have to come off the numbers he was originally looking for. He may be a consolation prize for a team that doesn't sign Manny or he may go to the Nats. He feels that Dunn and others like him felt they were going to be signed a long time ago. (Marty showed remarkable restraint there. Dunn and the Nats were brought up and he didn't go bananas) Thom asked Marty if he would even consider bringing Dunn back to play LF on a 1 year deal. Marty said no. He said that all he hears and reads is how Dunn is in the best shape of his life and if that's true, Dunn was stealing from the Reds for the past few years and that is why he personally wouldn't bring him back. (So much for restraint.)

The next caller feels the locker room would have a different attitude now that Jr. and Dunn are gone. Thom said it would and Marty said it changed immediately after they were traded. He said there were young players like Philips and Votto who were shy about imposing their leadership influence and abilities while they were around. He said the Reds made the decision to go in a different direction when they traded them and that's what we're going to see.

After commercial, the next caller said he heard a rumor on a blog that the Reds were bringing back Sean Casey. Marty said the hadn't heard anything about it and Thom said that he read in a PIT paper that he was thinking about retiring. Thom said that the Reds already have a left handed hitting 1st baseman and if you're going to give him a break against tough lefties, you want a right handed hitter in there. The caller said he'd like to see the Reds re-sign him and Dunn.

The next caller asked if the Reds would have any interest in bringing Garland and/or Wolf or Oliver Perez or Pedro in as the fifth starter or even bring in Ben Sheets. Marty would like a lefty who has a decent track record like Perez or Wolf but thinks Sheets is too injury prone. He thinks they all are asking for too much money and may be sitting for a while. Marty asked if Thom would be interested in Pedro. Thom said if you cold get a 1 year deal loaded with incentives, he'd consider it.

After commercial, the next caller asked how Gomes hits against left handed pitching. Neither of them knew. (I bet if he had asked Thom anything about Tim Tebow he'd have recited chapter and verse about it. IMO, it's pathetic that they have all that arbitration information and Marty's got his ear to the ground on every move Dunn makes but they don't know how well Gomes hits lefties.) The caller asked if Kepp would be considered for LF. Thom hasn't heard anything about it but thinks it's possible since he has played out there before and did an adequate job.

The next caller asked if Valaika and/or Roenecke would make the team. Marty said that as of now the only spot on the pitching staff that's open is for the 5th starter. He said that Valaika would probably begin the year at AAA and then they will see how it goes.

The next caller asked what he should expect from Spring Training. Marty said he will have a wonderful time. he'll be in close proximity to the players more so than during the season and he will have a better opportunity to get autographs. Thom told him to get to the park early and he'll get autographs and probably a souvenir baseball from batting practice.

The next caller asked if Juan Francisco could make the team. Thom said he doesn't have a shot and the highest level he's ever played has been at low A ball. He thinks he's at least a year away. The caller asked about Frazier. Marty said he's one of the top 2 or 3 prospects in the system. He said Frazier's an IF by trade but he could be moved to a corner OF spot and cold be a year away. Thom said that if some of these guys start off hot in AA or A, they could be on the fast track to the majors and possibly get a chance at the end of this year if the Reds are out if it. (Has Thom forgotten who the manager is?)

Marty said that the first ST broadcast will be on Feb 25 against the Rays at 1.

After commercial, the next caller asked what would happen first: JimBo signing Dunn or Jr. Marty said that he would say Dunn and he doesn't know if they have interest in Jr. People have told him if Jr. plays next year it will probably be in SEA. (Again, no potshots at JimBo. He must be on electric shock treatment.)

The next caller asked where they thought the Reds would finish in the division. Thom said the Cubs are the favorite but after them, he feels the Reds have improved the most in the division. He said CLE has lost Sheets and C.C. The Cards shouldn't be any better than .500 (He wishes) and HOU has hitting but questionable pitching. He believes that the Reds could contend for the division or the wild card. Marty agreed. (Well, if they don't Dunn and Jr. can't be blamed.)

The next caller asked if the Reds could compete without that RH bat that they supposedly need. Marty said if EE puts it together and Hernandez can increase his power numbers, they won't need that bat. Thom thinks the RH bat thing has been way overblown. (Of course the #1 guy who has done that was sitting right next to him.)

The next caller asked if the Reds could be interested in Jeff Francouer. Marty said he strikes out 180 times. The caller said he's better than Dunn in the field. Marty agreed but said he isn't going to walk much. Thom said he will be one of the most intriguing guys to watch. Is he going to more like he was as a rookie or like last year?

After commercial, the next caller asked if going after Andruw Jones would be a good idea. Thom thought it would be a good idea and he may be worth taking a peek at. Marty said he's interested in going back to ATL and the Braves may only be interested in giving him a minor league deal and that doesn't interest him at all. (You want to talk about someone stealing money because he's played out of shape? Jones is Exhibit A.)

The next caller said he was surprised that Nomar was available as a bench player and sees him more as a starter. Thom said that Nomar had the 3B job last year, got injured and Blake De Witt played very well. When De Witt got hurt and Nomar played on a regular basis, the Dodgers couldn't wait to get De Witt back. Thom thinks his best days are behind him.

The next caller asked if they heard anything about Bobby Livingston. Thom said Dr. Kremchek was in studio and asked him. Dr, K said that he's doing great. He pitched at the end of last year pain free and he'll be ready for ST. Marty asked about Gonzo. Dr. K said everything he has heard has been good. he is going to see him in Miami this weekend. He said he looks good and is pain free. Marty asked if he and the medical staff would be able to tell early if they can count on him. Dr, K said that the first couple of weeks of ST will be key and he's been a model patient.

Thus endeth the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 1-20-09. So let it be written. So let it be done.

wheels
01-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Here's what I would expect from Marty regarding "Gomes" at least an inkling that he was a platoon player, then he could draw from his experience and maybe discuss how guys like Gomes could be good platoon stop gaps.. kinda like Jeff Branson/Mark Lewis in 1995 while the Reds waited on Willie Greene. Then he could talk about how these sort of players can maximize use by exploiting the splits and the fact that they only start part time limits cost, thus the Reds don't have to hit the market for a FT player (though it might not hurt them to consider that)

All these can lead to Marty citing something he saw in the last 34 years as a Reds announcer, or maybe something he knew before then instead it just dies on the vine and the caller probably says... OK, guess I'll never call again with a question.

Bing - GO!

cincrazy
01-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Yeah, we've glossed right over Dusty and Taveras... :evil:

Hahaha, most certainly have ;)

Ron Madden
01-22-2009, 04:10 AM

Even if a person were to believe that Marty can walk on the Ohio River, turn water into wine or feed everyone in Reds Country with a single loaf of bread. Is it too much to ask for him to do a little bit of show prep?