PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Nominations are out

Chip R
01-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Ledger did get nominated for those who don't want to wade through everything just to see that.

http://www.oscars.org/awards/81academyawards/nominees.html

redsfandan
01-22-2009, 11:13 AM
I was surprised that Ledger got a best supporting actor nomination instead of best actor.

Hoosier Red
01-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Having only seen Wall-E, Slumdog Millionaire plus previews of others;

Best Actor: Mickey Rourke
Best Actress: Meryl Streep
Best Supporting Actor: Josh Brolin
Best Supporting Actress: Penelope Cruz

Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire

BuckeyeRed27
01-22-2009, 11:25 AM
I was surprised that Ledger got a best supporting actor nomination instead of best actor.

Christian Bale was the lead.

Some head scratchers there for sure. "The Reader" being nominated is a joke. That movie is terrible.
Clint being snubbed for Gran Torino is a shame.
The Wrestler (the song) should absolutely have been nominated. Just a great great song that really captures a fantastic movie perfectly.

texasdave
01-22-2009, 01:24 PM
I haven't seen the movie "Doubt". But it seems like any movie that receives nominations for Best Leading Actress (Streep), Best Supporting Actor (Hoffman), Best Supporting Actresses (Adams and Davis) would have to be a pretty darn good movie.

And I agree "The Reader" was not worth paying money to see.

redsmetz
01-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Interesting to see Richard Jenkins nominated for the movie, The Visitor. My wife and I just got this from Netflix last week and he gives a very nice performance. Of course, I think Rourke or Penn win the trophy, but it's nice to see a guy like Jenkins get a nod.

Caveat Emperor
01-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Fairly weak year for films all around.

Not surprised to see the agenda-flick Milk get the nomination for best pic. I would've given its spot to WALL-E or The Dark Knight, personally.

BuckeyeRed27
01-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Fairly weak year for films all around.

Not surprised to see the agenda-flick Milk get the nomination for best pic. I would've given its spot to WALL-E or The Dark Knight, personally.

Agree with a week year. I would have picked Button, Gran Tornio, Doubt, Dark Knight and Slumdog.

Frost/Nixon really isn't a very good movie. It's not a bad movie and I enjoyed it but it wasn't anything special.

I have already given my thoughts on The Reader.

Milk is good, but I think was going for a certain "shock" factor that took away from the point. I also didn't like the narration.

WMR
01-22-2009, 05:13 PM
How in the world did The Reader get nominated over The Dark Knight.

The Oscars are a joke.

The Baumer
01-22-2009, 05:15 PM
I thought MILK was a very good and interesting film. I couldn't identify with some of the more sexual stuff of course but the relationship between Penn and Brolin was immensely entertaining and overall I didn't let my own politics or beliefs keep me from enjoying it. Also the final scene was an amazing visual.

Johnny Footstool
01-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Robert Downey Jr. gets nominated for "Tropic Thunder"!!!

klw
01-22-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm very surprised Springsteen did not get nominated for "The Wrestler" after the song won at the Golden Globes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OSvJvSwmd4

Degenerate39
01-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Where the heck is Gran Torino?

The Baumer
01-22-2009, 08:31 PM
As entertaining as Gran Torino was, it had a very small scope compared to the big epic, serious dramas that usually get nominated. Also beyond Eastwood, the acting was very bad, about on par with a Hallmark movie of the week. I still really enjoyed it but I wouldn't put it in the same "serious contender" category as Doubt, Benjamin Button, MILK, Dark Knight, The Wrestler, Rev Road, Slumdog Millionaire etc. etc. Maybe if they had a "crowd pleaser" category I could see it getting nominated and winning.

Caveat Emperor
01-22-2009, 08:43 PM
How in the world did The Reader get nominated over The Dark Knight.

The Oscars are a joke.

I only know one person who has seen "The Reader" and he said it was rather pedestrian. I don't know -- I honestly hadn't heard any buzz about the film prior to today, and I had to actively question my film-buff friends to find out anything about it.

Like I said earlier, it's a really weak crop of films -- probably the weakest since 2004.

Speaking personally, I hated "Milk" (the film had all the subtlety of a death metal concert), "Slumdog Millionaire" was OK but failed to hold my interest, and "Benjamin Button" was about 45 minutes too long. Haven't seen "Frost / Nixon" yet -- that's on my to-do list. Probably won't see "The Reader" until DVD.

It's kind of a sham, IMO, that two of the best-reviewed films of 2008 ("WALL-E" and "The Dark Knight") are being actively snubbed for being popular, high grossing films that also happened to be critically acclaimed.

WMR
01-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Yup, CE, that was my point, really in RE: Wall-E and TDK.

It's like these snooty people who decide the Oscar noms automatically write off films that are commercial as well as critical successes. It is just lame.

On another note: I haven't wanted an actor to win as much as Mickey Rourke since Bill Murray in Lost in Translation.

The Baumer
01-22-2009, 08:54 PM
I thought Doubt got just as snubbed as DK and WALL-E, if not more.

pahster
01-22-2009, 09:40 PM
I thought Doubt got just as snubbed as DK and WALL-E, if not more.

Doubt is without a doubt (ha?) the greater omission.

Hoosier Red
01-23-2009, 02:38 PM
On another note: I haven't wanted an actor to win as much as Mickey Rourke since Bill Murray in Lost in Translation.

Now there's a movie I couldn't understand what all the buzz was about. I'm still trying to wake up from Lost in Translation.

RedEye
01-23-2009, 02:58 PM
I agree with all of you about THE DARK KNIGHT. Seems like it should at least get a nod under the TITANIC "cultural phenomenon" clause. There was no movie that was talked about more this year. It might be the best straight-up blockbuster ever made just because it managed to be so culturally relevant and so entertaining at the same time. I'd also choose it over BENJAMIN BUTTON, which just seems to me like an echo of FORREST GUMP. I'm sure Ledger will win, though. That will be DK's consolation prize.

My list would have been as follows:

THE DARK KNIGHT
MILK
DOUBT
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
THE WRESTLER

I think Aronofsky got the shaft far more than Clint, who has already been recognized multiple times at the Oscars. DOUBT, I thought, was much stronger cinematically than most critics gave it credit for. It takes deft sleight of hand to make an "actor's movie" a great movie--and there are a couple of really ingenious moments in there that really make the film hit you in the gut.

I haven't seen THE READER, but the previews make it look like just another redemptive Holocaust film. I'm sure Winslet is as radiant as her character is troubled, but I really thought the film would only get an actor nomination along with a nod for adapted screenplay.

That said, SLUMDOG will likely win. And I can't say I have a problem with that.

vaticanplum
01-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Re: Wall-E, I think animated films are not eligible for Best Picture. The Academy gave them their own category after Beauty and the Beast was nominated. Not sure if it's a rule or just an unspoken standard.

Caveat Emperor
01-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Re: Wall-E, I think animated films are not eligible for Best Picture. The Academy gave them their own category after Beauty and the Beast was nominated. Not sure if it's a rule or just an unspoken standard.

My understanding is that they remain eligible for best picture even though they also qualify for best animated film -- much like foreign films can be nominated (see: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) for both Best Pic and Best Foreign Language Film.

However, it's pretty much an unspoken rule that they all get dumped together into the kiddie pool for the Best Animated Film oscar. While it screws really good animated movies, like WALL-E / Pixar-type movies or older Miyazaki films, that might otherwise be worthy of a best pic nod in a weak year, it at least gives them some seat at the table. Otherwise it'd be pretty hard to get voted for anything -- seeing as the majority of the academy is made up of actors, which are the one thing an animated movie doesn't need much of.

SandyD
01-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Am I the only one who saw more Reagan than Nixon in Langella's performance? Seemed to play him MUCH too old. Alfred disagrees, and he's the movie critic, but that's how I saw it.

*BaseClogger*
01-25-2009, 05:35 PM
As entertaining as Gran Torino was, it had a very small scope compared to the big epic, serious dramas that usually get nominated. Also beyond Eastwood, the acting was very bad, about on par with a Hallmark movie of the week. I still really enjoyed it but I wouldn't put it in the same "serious contender" category as Doubt, Benjamin Button, MILK, Dark Knight, The Wrestler, Rev Road, Slumdog Millionaire etc. etc. Maybe if they had a "crowd pleaser" category I could see it getting nominated and winning.

I thought the acting by the young girl neighbor was excellent...

redsmetz
02-23-2009, 05:41 AM
And the winner is...

Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire
Best Director: Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire
Best Actor: Sean Penn, Milk
Best Actress: Kate Winslet, The Reader
Best Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight
Best Supporting Actress: PenÚlope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Best Adapted Screenplay: Slumdog Millionaire
Best Original Screenplay: Milk
Best Animated Feature: Wall-E

RBA
02-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Wall-E, for Best Picture? It wasn't that good.

redsmetz
02-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Wall-E, for Best Picture? It wasn't that good.

No, Wall-E was for Best Animated Feature, not Best Picture. Slumdog Millionaire won Best Picture.

redsmetz
02-23-2009, 09:24 AM
I thought Hugh Jackman did a very good job. His "spectacular" he made up because of budget constraints was lots of fun, particular bringing Anne Hathaway up to play Nixon to his Frost. Best line of his monologue was addressed to Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt after he'd prattled on about nothing and then said, "I don't have a joke for either of you, I'm just contractually obligated to mention your names five times." He did throw out Pitt's name later in the show.

I liked Kate Winslet's line about Meryl Streep, acknowledging that she and the other Best Actress nominees were in awe to be in the same company as her and then threw out, "You're just going to have to such up to that, Meryl".

The various wins for Slumdog Millionaire were nice and seeing the whole cast up there was enjoyable.

For the first time in forever, my wife and I had seen four of the five top picture nominees (we hadn't see The Reader).

Penelope Cruz mentioned her director, Woody Allen, in her speech and thanked him for writing such great roles for women. It got me thinking about how many actresses have won Academy Awards in his movies. It's now five with Diane Keaton winning a Best Actress award for Annie Hall and four others winning Best Supporting Actress: Diane Wiest (twice), Mira Sorvino and now Cruz. Interesting and I don't know how that stacks up with other directors. I saw at least one more with a nomination (Mariel Hemingway).

Hoosier Red
02-23-2009, 09:48 AM
How on earth did you catch who Penelope Cruz thanked? I haven't seen 6year olds talk that fast.

BuckeyeRed27
02-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Wasn't a fan of a lot of the winners but I can see why they won.
I really wish Mickey Rourke would have won though.

I thought Hugh Jackman did a good job. I laughed quite a bit at his opening number.

The way they introduced the actors was kind of cool although it was really long and I lost interest through many of their pump up speaches.