PDA

View Full Version : Castellini fires back: 'We have a contender'

DannyB
01-24-2009, 08:28 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2009/01/24/ddn012409spcastellini.html

Reds owner refutes gloomy reports, says payroll won't prohibit team from challenging in NL Central.
Staff Report

Saturday, January 24, 2009

The question was this: Newspaper reports on Friday, Jan. 23, said that the economy has caused the Cincinnati Reds to ditch their "win now" philosophy. Is that true?

"No," owner Bob Castellini said.

Castellini's comments came during an eight-minute appearance on the "Bill Cunningham Show" on WLW-AM (700) Friday afternoon that was rare for a major-league sports owner. Castellini initiated the interview and later did a 45-minute, in-studio session with Paul Daugherty, the WLW weeknight sports talk host, to emphasize the team's position that it wants to win this season, not solely rebuild for the future.

"What really kind of irritates me is they think we're writing off this year," Castellini said on Cunningham's show. "We have an excellent team. We have a contender. And, barring injuries, we're going to be in there at the end. Now, you can quote me on that, and if at the end of the year we're not in there ... you can play it back forever, but I really feel that way, and our organization feels that way."

Castellini said that ticket purchases were "not as many as we anticipated" and acknowledged that fans could be frustrated with losing.

After some nudging by Cunningham, Castellini said the 2009 Reds will have a winning record, which would be the first in his tenure as owner.

Cunningham: "And you're gonna win?"

Castellini: "You betcha."

Cunningham: "You're gonna win?"

Castellini: "Yes, sir."

Cunningham: "You're gonna win this year?

Castellini: "We're gonna win this year. We're gonna have a winning record this year, Bill, and we're gonna be contenders, and we might well be into it at the end of the season."

Jerry Narron
01-24-2009, 08:44 AM
At least WLW will have some good sound bytes to play this summer.

PedroBourbon
01-24-2009, 09:11 AM
At least WLW will have some good sound bytes to play this summer.

Marty should play these following the final out of the losses this year since he won't be using his trademark "and this one belongs to the Reds" on losses anyway.

reds1869
01-24-2009, 09:35 AM
Marty should play these following the final out of the losses this year since he won't be using his trademark "and this one belongs to the Reds" on losses anyway.

The thing is, Marty agrees. I've heard him say several times that this team will have a winning record and contend in the anemic NL Central. Thing is, he might be right. We're not very good, but our division rivals just might be worse.

Redlegs23
01-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Every year I tell myself that I won't get optimistic and get excited about the following season, but it's starting to happen. I have the baseball itch and I and starting to get cautiously optimistic.

steig
01-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Castellini may think this team is a contender but Vegas isn't buying it, the Reds are listed as 40-1 odds to win the NL Penant, 4th worst odds in the league.

Ohioballplayer
01-24-2009, 10:44 AM
I am glad Marty is optimistic, but it took 90 wins in our division last year just to win the wild card. While I don't see this team as a 90-win team or the Brew crew repeating that 90 wins, I don't see this team doing it either. I think Bob and Marty are "reaching".

Now with that said I dont know that increasing payroll or giving up prospects for a one year rental would help us acheive the success that we are looking for. We have a good young core, let the boys play, and if they show the necessary improvement, then go out and get you that free agent, or come trade deadline time, if they are in it then Walt could pull the trigger on a nice trade.

reds1869
01-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Castellini may think this team is a contender but Vegas isn't buying it, the Reds are listed as 40-1 odds to win the NL Penant, 4th worst odds in the league.

And last season, the Rays were listed at 150-1 to start the season. stranger things have happened so I will choose to be positive until the collapse occurs.

mroby85
01-24-2009, 11:20 AM
And last season, the Rays were listed at 150-1 to start the season. stranger things have happened so I will choose to be positive until the collapse occurs.

I see your point, but there are always at least 50 teams they're right about down there for every 1 team that ends up like the Rays did.

reds1869
01-24-2009, 11:49 AM
I see your point, but there are always at least 50 teams they're right about down there for every 1 team that ends up like the Rays did.

I agree that the odds are VERY long. But I'm choosing to be upbeat. The negativity on this site right now reminds me of why I no longer visit the Marshall sports sites I used to be a regular on; nothing the team can do is right and we are going to be the worst team in the history of sports according to some very vocal posters. I'm not delusional, but I do choose to have hope.

Carin4Narron
01-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Has anyone saw tropic thunder and heard what Robert Dowdy said to Ben Stiller while talking about a certain role that Stiller's charactor did playing a special needs person?

Well Bobby C has went full ------!