PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Hoops

Pages : 1 [2]

joshnky
03-16-2009, 09:40 AM
In the East, Pittsburgh should also coast to the Elite Eight -- I don't see Florida State or Xavier giving them any pause for concern. 'Nova and Duke are both tougher outs than Mizzou and Memphis, IMO, but not by much.

What makes Pitt so difficult to predict is that when Blair gets into foul trouble they lose (see Louisville, Providence, and WVU). If he goes the whole tournament without fouling out they will win it all but that seems doubtful given that officiating in the low post is usually tighter come tourney time.

DTCromer
03-16-2009, 11:01 AM
What makes Pitt so difficult to predict is that when Blair gets into foul trouble they lose (see Louisville, Providence, and WVU). If he goes the whole tournament without fouling out they will win it all but that seems doubtful given that officiating in the low post is usually tighter come tourney time.

The officiating doesn't get tighter, the Big East actually lets their teams play.

Reds Fanatic
03-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Here is the full schedule for the first 2 rounds with game times/sites and announcers:

http://www.cbssports.com/cbssports/story/11509998

Caveat Emperor
03-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Here is the full schedule for the first 2 rounds with game times/sites and announcers:

http://www.cbssports.com/cbssports/story/11509998

Ahh -- the best time of the year. A veritable all-you-can-eat buffet of incoherent Gus Johnson screaming.

IslandRed
03-16-2009, 01:43 PM
I'd find it a lot easier to dismiss Memphis if I hadn't used pretty much the same arguments last year.

Cyclone792
03-16-2009, 02:14 PM
I have Connecticut over Memphis in the Elite 8, but with Dyson out that game is pretty much a coin flip. I like what the committee did with both those teams by putting them in the same bracket. They'll have different routes to the Elite 8, but should they make it that far, the committee essentially said go ahead and play each other for the right to reach the Final Four.

Memphis probably isn't the best team in the country, but I can safely say that they're probably amongst the top six or seven teams in the country. If they play well in the tournament, they've got as good a shot as anybody to win the whole thing.

Falls City Beer
03-16-2009, 02:24 PM
I'd find it a lot easier to dismiss Memphis if I hadn't used pretty much the same arguments last year.

I hear what you're saying, but it's abundantly clear to me that Memphis' talent this year isn't what it was last year.

Boston Red
03-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Next year, though, Memphis is going to be ridiculous.

cumberlandreds
03-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Next year, though, Memphis is going to be ridiculous.

Yes they are. If Wall goes there they could have one of the all time great classes. They could be scary good if everything fits together.

BRM
04-02-2009, 01:17 PM
This seems like as good a thread as any to discuss the coaching vacancies.

It appears Tim Floyd will be named the new coach at Arizona. ESPN has an article about him being offered the position. They now have a report saying "Sports 620 KTAR reports Tim Floyd will be named head basketball coach at Arizona".

Memphis is where it's getting very interesting. According to Memphis Roar, they want to make a "wow" hire and had Rick Pitino and Bruce Pearl as their top two candidates as of yesterday. However, Pitino has apparently turned them down and now Sean Miller is #2 behind Pearl. Here's the latest from Memphis Roar.

http://memphisroar.com/2009/04/thursday-morning-rumblings/

Boston Red
04-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Can't see Miller leaving Xavier for Memphis unless it's 100% about the cash. As a matter of fact, I'd be shocked if Miller left Xavier for any job this offseason. Maybe after next year, though, because next year's team will likely be the most talented Xavier team ever.

BRM
04-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Memphis is apparently ready to throw boatloads of cash at a top coach in order to get their "wow" hire. It should be an interesting couple of weeks with the coaching carousel.

BRM
04-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Memphis Roar is now reporting that Sean Miller and Jeff Capel are no longer options for the vacant Memphis coaching position.

Boston Red
04-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Memphis Roar is now reporting that Sean Miller and Jeff Capel are no longer options for the vacant Memphis coaching position.

Those poor saps are going to end up with Eddie Fogler or something as "exciting".

BRM
04-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Those poor saps are going to end up with Eddie Fogler or something as "exciting".

That's what I was thinking. They are running out of "wow" options. It sort of looks like Bruce Pearl or bust at this point.

Hoosier Red
04-02-2009, 03:09 PM
It was such a rough year for mid-majors this year, there isn't even a hot mid-major coach that people would get excited about.

The only "Non-BCS" schools that made the tournament(other than Memphis) are places where the coach would be crazy to leave.

Boston Red
04-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Well, there was Grant, but he's off the board. I think McCafferty from Siena would be a good hire for a BCS or other high-major school (I think he would be a good choice for Xavier if Miller unexpectedly left). If you think Duquesne is a mid-major, Ron Everhart is probably due for an upgrade. But you're right: there are not a ton of rising stars.

BRM
04-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Where does Memphis turn if Pearl rejects them? Who else is reasonable for them to go after that would still constitute being a "wow" hire? Personally, I think they end going with a young "up and comer".

BRM
04-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Gary Parrish says Floyd hasn't officially accepted the Arizona job yet.

DETROIT -- Southern California's Tim Floyd is considering an offer to become Arizona's next basketball coach, sources close to the situation have told CBSSports.com.

A formal announcement could come as early as Thursday, one source said. But both sources added that any reports of Floyd already accepting the job are "premature."

Multiple sources told CBSSports.com that Arizona athletic director Jim Livengood settled on Floyd after being rebuffed to varying degrees by several coaches -- among them Mark Few (Gonzaga), Rick Pitino (Louisville), Tom Izzo (Michigan State), John Calipari (Kentucky), Jamie Dixon (Pittsburgh) and Bruce Pearl (Tennessee).

Revering4Blue
04-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Tim Floyd is staying put at USC.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-usc-floydstays&prov=ap&type=lgns

Well, there was Grant, but he's off the board. I think McCafferty from Siena would be a good hire for a BCS or other high-major school (I think he would be a good choice for Xavier if Miller unexpectedly left). If you think Duquesne is a mid-major, Ron Everhart is probably due for an upgrade. But you're right: there are not a ton of rising stars.

Good call on Everhart.

I have no ties to the Memphis program at all, but the name I keep hearing is Creighton's Dana Altman, who once accepted then turned down the Arkansas job a couple of years ago.
We'll see.

WVRed
04-02-2009, 11:33 PM
In other news, Mark Fox of Nevada is heading to Georgia.

Not an overly impressive hire.

BRM
04-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Another blow for Memphis - Bruce Pearl has a newly renegotiated 6 year deal with UT.

Boston Red
04-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Another blow for Memphis - Bruce Pearl has a newly renegotiated 6 year deal with UT.

Memphis is making people rich!

dabvu2498
04-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Memphis is making people rich! Allegedly, Sean Miller is next. Hope not.

BRM
04-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Allegedly, Sean Miller is next. Hope not.

There was a report yesterday claiming he was no longer a candidate for the Memphis job. Scott Drew, Andy Kennedy, Reggie Theus and Derek Kellogg are listed as the next group of potential candidates on Memphis Commercial Appeal.

WVRed
04-03-2009, 11:58 AM
There was a report yesterday claiming he was no longer a candidate for the Memphis job. Scott Drew, Andy Kennedy, Reggie Theus and Derek Kellogg are listed as the next group of potential candidates on Memphis Commercial Appeal.

I would take a chance on Reggie Theus. If anything, he has the NBA credentials.

dabvu2498
04-03-2009, 11:59 AM
There was a report yesterday claiming he was no longer a candidate for the Memphis job. Scott Drew, Andy Kennedy, Reggie Theus and Derek Kellogg are listed as the next group of potential candidates on Memphis Commercial Appeal. That is good. I am surprised to see Andy Kennedy on that list. Although Memphis is really just a cross between north Mississippi and east Arkansas. Drew would have been my first call anyway.

BRM
04-03-2009, 12:05 PM
That is good. I am surprised to see Andy Kennedy on that list. Although Memphis is really just a cross between north Mississippi and east Arkansas. Drew would have been my first call anyway.

I don't blame them for going after the "big fish" first, Pearl and Pitino. When that fails, move on to your second tier list. Given the realistic choices they have left, I'd go with Scott Drew as well.

Hoosier Red
04-03-2009, 12:13 PM
I don't blame them for going after the "big fish" first, Pearl and Pitino. When that fails, move on to your second tier list. Given the realistic choices they have left, I'd go with Scott Drew as well.

Apparantly he has some shady recruiting issues as well. I was surprised by that give his lineage and all.

BRM
04-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Apparantly he has some shady recruiting issues as well. I was surprised by that give his lineage and all.

Drew?

dabvu2498
04-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Apparantly he has some shady recruiting issues as well. I was surprised by that give his lineage and all. More than their previous coach?

BRM
04-03-2009, 12:21 PM
More than their previous coach?

:) Great point.

Boston Red
04-03-2009, 12:24 PM
If I'm living in Memphis, I think I start concentrating on the Grizz if they hire Kellogg. Did anyone see UMass play this year? And they had a pretty talented roster (as evidenced by their win at Kansas).

Boston Red
04-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Allegedly, Sean Miller is next. Hope not.

I'm all for Sean being next. He deserves a raise from Xavier just like the rest of the guys that turned down Memphis deserved raises from their employers.

BRM
04-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Jeff Capel has received a 7 year contract extension from Oklahoma.

Brad Stevens had a year added to his contract at Butler as well. He's signed through the 2015-16 season now.

BRM
04-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Oh, and congrats to Penn State for winning the NIT!

cumberlandreds
04-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Oh, and congrats to Penn State for winning the NIT!

I watched just a little of that. You have to hand it to the Penn State fans. They said there was 43 bus loads of them there! MSG was loud too. More than I have ever heard it for the NIT before.

BRM
04-03-2009, 01:18 PM
I thought the atmosphere was pretty good was well. The fans were really into it.

BRM
04-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Capel apparently hasn't officially closed the deal on his new contract just yet but it's close.

Per Gary Parrish.

DETROIT -- Jeff Capel is on the verge of signing a lucrative extension with Oklahoma, a source told CBSSports.com on Friday morning. Details of the deal are unclear, but a source said it should be done later Friday, and that an official announcement is expected sometime this weekend, if not sooner.

Capel just finished his third season at Oklahoma.

He has been to two NCAA tournaments and one Elite Eight.

This new deal is a result of Capel's emergence as one of the bright young coaches in the country. He received interest from a number of schools in the past month, among them Georgia and Arizona, to varying degrees.

Revering4Blue
04-03-2009, 09:33 PM
In other news, Mark Fox of Nevada is heading to Georgia.

Not an overly impressive hire.

I'm not so sure about that. Fans raised the same questions about Trent Johnson when he left Nevada for Stanford. If Fox can land the likes of JaVale McGee-- a McDonald's All-American--Kirk Snyder, Ramon Sessions and Nick Fazekas at Nevada, he should at least be able to lock down kids from the Metro Atlanta area. Plus, he's a solid Xs and Os guy. He also managed to land this player at Nevada.
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2000016

This is every bit as impressive of a hire as Anthony Grant at Alabama. Frankly, Fox's resume is better. The SEC, specifically the SEC East, continues to stockpile excellent coaches.

Boston Red
04-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Didn't Johnson land Fazekas an Snyder? It seems to me that Fox merely underachieved with them.

Revering4Blue
04-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Didn't Johnson land Fazekas an Snyder? It seems to me that Fox merely underachieved with them.

Fox recruited Fazekas and helped recruit Snyder for Johnson.

Underachieved?

He has recorded NCAA victories against Rick Barnes and Dana Altman, falling to NCAA runner-up Illinois in 2005 and regional semi-finalist Memphis in 2007. Granted, he did lose to Montana in 2006, but a 12 beats a 5 every year.

Yes, Anthony Grant played a key role with Florida/Billy Donovan recruiting. But his claim to fame is narrowly beating a vastly(then) overrated #6 seed Duke team in 2007 and he's a better hire than Fox? As I previously stated, I believe that they are both excellent hires, but compare the resumes. Fox's is better.

Boston Red
04-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Did Fox ever get Nevada out of the first weekend of the Tournament? I honestly don't know. If he didn't, with the talent that was left behind from the Johnson era I would say that he underachieved.

Reds Fanatic
04-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Sean Miller is meeting with Arizona about their coaching job.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4043820

Xavier coach Sean Miller was expected to meet Arizona athletic director Jim Livengood in Albuquerque, N.M., on Sunday to discuss the Wildcats' opening, according to a source.

Xavier coach Sean Miller has led the Musketeers to the NCAA tournament the last four seasons.
However, Xavier athletic director Mike Bobinski told the Cincinnati Enquirer on Sunday that the Musketeers were prepared to make a counteroffer -- if necessary.

A source said Miller was scheduled to board a private plane Sunday morning en route to Albuquerque, where he was expected to meet with Livengood about the Wildcats' opening.

On Saturday, Bobinski told ESPN.com he wasn't sure Miller would talk to Arizona and he had not heard from Arizona as of Saturday. On Sunday, Bobinski told the Enquirer that Miller had kept him up to date as the situation developed.

"People's feelings and thoughts changed," Bobinski told the Enquirer. "You would not be incorrect in assuming that's what happened here. Searches are fluid processes and things change, but Sean has been great in letting me know what's going on.

"We have done and will continue to do whatever is humanely possible to keep Sean."

Bobinski told ESPN.com Sunday night that he expected to speak with Miller late Sunday or early Monday, but Bobinski still didn't know if there was a resolution.

Kentucky coach John Calipari, a good friend of Miller's, said the coach is wrestling with the same things Calipari was in deciding whether to leave Memphis for the Bluegrass state.

Miller "has a potential Final Four team coming back next season, loves where he lives, has security and is paid well and has the best job in his league, yet has to decide whether or not this is the right job for him to explore," Calipari said.

Arizona went down a similar path last week with USC coach Tim Floyd. He interviewed, was offered the gig but chose to remain with the Trojans. Arizona tried to pursue Gonzaga's Mark Few and Pitt's Jamie Dixon prior to interviewing Floyd.

Miller has coached five seasons at Xavier, making four consecutive NCAA tournament appearances. He reached the Sweet 16 this season and the Elite Eight in 2007-08. His contract with Xavier is through the 2015-16 season.

Arizona reached the Sweet 16 this year under interim coach Russ Pennell.

Lute Olson retired as coach after 25 years in October 2008 for health reasons. Olson missed all of the 2007-08 season after taking a personal leave of absence for what he later termed "a medical condition that was not life-threatening."

Reds Freak
04-06-2009, 12:26 AM
Bobinski's quotes seem less optimistic than usual about being able to keep Miller. Not sure if that means anything or not. It really stinks as a Xavier fan to have to go through this crap every off season but that will probably be the case for a long time...

Boston Red
04-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Bobinski's quotes seem less optimistic than usual about being able to keep Miller. Not sure if that means anything or not. It really stinks as a Xavier fan to have to go through this crap every off season but that will probably be the case for a long time...

Sean Miller turned down Arizona apparently.

And it sucks a couple of days a year to go through this for Xavier fans. The alternative is to be Dayton. Advantage: Xavier.

BRM
04-06-2009, 10:36 AM
That's great news for X fans. Arizona and Memphis are both struggling to attract "name" coaches.

Memphis Roar has essentially given up on the hope of a "wow" hire and is recommending Derek Kellogg or Josh Pastner. They don't believe Reggie Theus or Avery Johnson would be good hires.

Gary Parrish talks about Leonard Hamilton, Tony Barbee, Andy Kennedy and Kellogg in his blog. He says there is no way Memphis will hire Barbee because Calipari recommended him personally. They are so furious with Cal they won't consider "his" guy. He also says Memphis can't get past Kennedy's cab driver incident so he's a long shot. He says any of these guys would take the job in a heartbeat: Josh Pastner, Ken McDonald, Billy Gillispie, Steve Alford.

dabvu2498
04-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Those are some sweet candidates. Whew!

dabvu2498
04-06-2009, 10:54 AM
I think Lute is still too close to the Arizona program and that scares off some of those guys. Pastner may be the right guy since he played there.

WVRed
04-06-2009, 10:55 AM
That's great news for X fans. Arizona and Memphis are both struggling to attract "name" coaches.

Memphis Roar has essentially given up on the hope of a "wow" hire and is recommending Derek Kellogg or Josh Pastner. They don't believe Reggie Theus or Avery Johnson would be good hires.

Gary Parrish talks about Leonard Hamilton, Tony Barbee, Andy Kennedy and Kellogg in his blog. He says there is no way Memphis will hire Barbee because Calipari recommended him personally. They are so furious with Cal they won't consider "his" guy. He also says Memphis can't get past Kennedy's cab driver incident so he's a long shot. He says any of these guys would take the job in a heartbeat: Josh Pastner, Ken McDonald, Billy Gillispie, Steve Alford.

Out of those candidates, Billy Gillispie would be the best hire on paper.

From what I have read on Memphis Roar (the message board), they were wanting Theus or Avery Johnson.

dabvu2498
04-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Out of those candidates, Billy Gillispie would be the best hire on paper. From what I have read on Memphis Roar (the message board), they were wanting Theus or Avery Johnson. I think it is going to be tough to hire BG until his issues at UK are settled.

SunDeck
04-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Glad, glad, glad for XU! I read they were ready to counter an offer from Arizona, but I wonder if the program is a strong enough draw to keep a guy even for the money. No matter how good they are, being in the A10 is always going to make it tough to hold onto rising stars.

WVRed
04-06-2009, 11:41 AM
I think it is going to be tough to hire BG until his issues at UK are settled.

Agreed. There are so many questions regarding his termination that it would likely be in his best interests to take a mid major job or join on as an assistant somewhere for a while.

BRM
04-06-2009, 11:41 AM
From what I have read on Memphis Roar (the message board), they were wanting Theus or Avery Johnson.

I think the fanbase would like one of those two because they believe it will help them keep Cousins. They also thought they could keep Henry with one of those two but that may be non-starter at this point.

dabvu2498
04-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Agreed. There are so many questions regarding his termination that it would likely be in his best interests to take a mid major job or join on as an assistant somewhere for a while. IMHO, he'd be best served by settling asap. Otherwise, I have a feeling the university may try to prove he was terminated with cause other than just not signing the formal contract.

BRM
04-06-2009, 01:38 PM
I found this article on Memphis Commercial Appeal to be fairly interesting. I'll just post the parts about Billy G, Reggie Theus and Avery Johnson on here.

3. It would be a horrible move to hire Billy Gillispie.

The appearance of trading coaches with Kentucky would be odd, if not off-putting to some. But let's face it. If Calipari had gone anywhere else, who's the best, most accomplished coach available? There's no doubt, it's Gillispie, who has been coach of the year in the Big 12 (2005, 2007) and the SEC (2008). Two years ago, nobody was hotter than Gillispie. And he wants the job. Wouldn't it be a heck of a story if the two parties who got wrecked by Kentucky join forces, both with something to prove? Now that's a "Wow" hire.

4. Former New Mexico State and Sacramento Kings coach Reggie Theus would be a home-run hire.

Theus might be a good hire, but he would be a risky hire. The former NBA player and sitcom star was only at New Mexico State for three years, not long enough to prove if he could build a program. And he went to the NCAA Tournament in 2007 with a roster of mostly transfers and players with off-court baggage that most other programs wouldn't touch. There are also questions about whether Theus wants to get into the nitty-gritty of the recruiting world. Either way, Theus told The Commercial Appeal on Sunday that Memphis had not contacted him about the job, and it's looking like he was never a candidate.

5. Hiring an NBA person like Avery Johnson or Isiah Thomas would be a good idea.

It would be a weird idea, if not downright awful. If you have never recruited a college player, this is probably not the right job to jump into the college ranks. Recruiting these days is about a lot more than showing up and flashing your NBA card. If you don't have the right grass-roots connections to AAU basketball, you've got no shot to succeed.

The article, found here (http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/apr/05/debunking-myths/), also discusses Leonard Hamilton, Scott Drew's rejection, Andy Kennedy and Derek Kellogg.

dabvu2498
04-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Leonard Hamilton and FedEx... Reunited and it feels so good!

dabvu2498
04-06-2009, 01:52 PM
I apologize. It was Emory Worldwide, of course.

Boston Red
04-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Miller apparently changed his mind and took the Arizona job. I must go vomit now.

dsmith421
04-06-2009, 02:29 PM
Miller apparently changed his mind and took the Arizona job. I must go vomit now.

What an absolute grotesque. It's up to Bobinski to save the program. Again.

Remember when next year was our year? Now it's just hope against hope we don't hire a guy who finished last in the God-forsaken MAC.

Reds4Life
04-06-2009, 02:34 PM
What an absolute grotesque. It's up to Bobinski to save the program. Again.

Remember when next year was our year? Now it's just hope against hope we don't hire a guy who finished last in the God-forsaken MAC.

I'm not a X fan, but they have done fine hiring coaches, no reason to believe this would be any different. I am suprised that Miller took that job, he has no recruiting or family ties to the west coast, and a nice team returning next year. Guess it came down to the size of the paycheck.

Until X changes conferences, keeping coaches will likely be difficult. The A10 flat out sucks.

OesterPoster
04-06-2009, 02:35 PM
As a Wright State fan, I sure hope we don't lose Brownell to Xavier. The guy is one hell of a coach.

Reds4Life
04-06-2009, 02:36 PM
As a Wright State fan, I sure hope we don't lose Brownell to Xavier. The guy is one hell of a coach.

He would be a good hire. There has been talk amoung UC fans that if Cronin is fired after next season he'd be someone they'd like to go after.

BRM
04-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Another Gillispie mention on thememphisedge.com, courtesy of Memphis Commercial Appeal. Theus says Memphis hasn't contacted him yet.

Take today, for instance. Tigers' beat reporter Dan Wolken writes about talking to Kansas coach Bill Self about the qualifications of his former assistant Billy Gillispie, whose departure at Kentucky led to the Wildcats hiring John Calipari.

"He's the best recruiter I’ve been around. I wish he could get involved (with Memphis),” Self told Wolken.

And Grizzlies beat reporter Ronald Tillery talked to former college and NBA coach and star Reggie Theus, who said he hasn't been contacted by Memphis but he considers the Tigers' job a good one.

BRM
04-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Just saw this on ESPN.

Villanova assistant coach Pat Chambers will be introduced Wednesday as the new head coach at Boston University, multiple sources tell ESPN.com.

A news conference is scheduled for 11 a.m. ET. The Boston Globe reported Sunday that Chambers would be hired by BU.

Chambers has been with the Wildcats since 2006 and becomes the fourth Jay Wright assistant coach to become a Division I head coach in the last four years.

The 37-year-old Chambers takes over for Dennis Wolff, who was fired after going 247-197 in 15 seasons.

Reds4Life
04-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Another Gillispie mention on thememphisedge.com, courtesy of Memphis Commercial Appeal. Theus says Memphis hasn't contacted him yet.

I look for Billy to end up at Texas Tech after they send Pat Knight packing.

BRM
04-06-2009, 05:59 PM
I look for Billy to end up at Texas Tech after they send Pat Knight packing.

I've read that on more than one occasion.

Revering4Blue
04-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Memphis hires assistant Josh Pastner as coach

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-memphissearch&prov=ap&type=lgns

WVRed
04-06-2009, 11:21 PM
IMHO, he'd be best served by settling asap. Otherwise, I have a feeling the university may try to prove he was terminated with cause other than just not signing the formal contract.

If there is anything I have learned through the Rich Rodriguez saga, it is that universities are glass houses. If UK decided to air Gillispie's dirty laundry, he could likely fire back with something that may have zero merit, but the media and obsessive anti-UK fans would run with.

I want to see both sides settle, and quick. Although if Gillispie gets another job and lands on his feet somewhere, he may take a smaller amount as "hush money".

WVRed
04-07-2009, 12:29 AM
No comment on the blowout by UNC?

AccordinglyReds
04-07-2009, 12:50 AM
Saddening.

dabvu2498
04-07-2009, 12:51 AM
No comment on the blowout by UNC? Best college team I have seen in a while... Maybe 13 years. Still wondering how they lost 4 games.

pahster
04-07-2009, 12:51 AM
No comment on the blowout by UNC?

The bonfires will be lit on Franklin Street any moment now.

*BaseClogger*
04-07-2009, 01:19 AM
The bonfires will be lit on Franklin Street any moment now.

Not to mention the rioting in Cedar Village in East Lansing...

SunDeck
04-07-2009, 07:18 AM
Wow. I quit watching at half time, but it was over before that, even. Carolina was just executing everything, and they were certainly playing some quality ball, but I have never seen a team look as out of it as MSU did. They didn't protect the ball, they didn't box out, they seemed to abandon their usual half court sets...it was tough to watch them disintegrate like that, a very disappointing championship game.

BRM
04-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Best college team I have seen in a while... Maybe 13 years. Still wondering how they lost 4 games.

I told my wife that last night when we were watching the game. Great, great team. No one was going to deny them the championship.

BRM
04-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Washington State found their new head coach. They hired Ken Bone from Portland State.

dabvu2498
04-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Washington State found their new head coach. They hired Ken Bone from Portland State. Huhuhuhuhuhuhuh... You said... Nevermind. The job market for BCG shrinks further.

BRM
04-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Huhuhuhuhuhuhuh... You said... Nevermind. The job market for BCG shrinks further.

Wasn't he expected to take a year off anyway?

dabvu2498
04-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Wasn't he expected to take a year off anyway? That is not the way I understood him when he left UK. I could be wrong.

BRM
04-07-2009, 10:52 AM
That is not the way I understood him when he left UK. I could be wrong.

He's running out of good choices if he wants to coach in 09-10.

dabvu2498
04-07-2009, 11:03 AM
He's running out of good choices if he wants to coach in 09-10. Pullman would have been nice. Nice and far away.

BRM
04-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Pullman would have been nice. Nice and far away.

Is there anything even open at the moment? Besides Portland State obviously.

improbus
04-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Best college team I have seen in a while... Maybe 13 years. Still wondering how they lost 4 games.

Really? I'm not too sure I buy that. Who did they beat in the tournament? MSU? Oklahoma who had one good player? That's it. I'm not sure that any team has had an easier path to the title. Also, there weren't any other great teams this year. Carolina benefited from everyone else losing guys to the NBA. Imagine this tournament:
OSU: Oden, Conley, Cook, Koufos, Turner, Mullens
Kansas: Rush, Arthur, Chalmers, Julian Wright etc...
Memphis: Rose, Douglas Roberts, Evans, Shawne Williams
UCLA: Love, Westbrook, Mbah a Moute, Holliday
LSU: Tyrus Thomas, Anthony Randolph,
Texas, Durant, Augustin, Abrams,
Kansas State: Beasley, Bill Walker
UCONN: Andrew Bynum
Washington: Martell Webster, Spencer Hawes
Louisville: Amir Johnson

Carolina might be a 2 or 3 seed in that tournament. OSU would have been a great matchup w/ Carolina. Conley is one of the few human beings who could keep up w/ Lawson. They would have had three 7'ers in Oden, Koufos, and Mullens. Tough to deal w/.

dabvu2498
04-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Is there anything even open at the moment? Besides Portland State obviously. Xavier and Texas Pan Am that I know of.

BRM
04-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Xavier and Texas Pan Am that I know of.

Isn't Xavier on the verge of hiring someone at the moment?

dabvu2498
04-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Really? I'm not too sure I buy that. Who did they beat in the tournament? MSU? Oklahoma who had one good player? That's it. I'm not sure that any team has had an easier path to the title. Also, there weren't any other great teams this year. Carolina benefited from everyone else losing guys to the NBA. Imagine this tournament: OSU: Oden, Conley, Cook, Koufos, Turner, Mullens Kansas: Rush, Arthur, Chalmers, Julian Wright etc... Memphis: Rose, Douglas Roberts, Evans, Shawne Williams UCLA: Love, Westbrook, Mbah a Moute, Holliday LSU: Tyrus Thomas, Anthony Randolph, Texas, Durant, Augustin, Abrams, Kansas State: Beasley, Bill Walker Carolina might be a 2 or 3 seed in that tournament. They blew the doors off of every team they played. And the way they were playing they would have blown the doors off of anyone they would have played. You could play the what if so and so hadn't gone to the NBA thing with every national champion since Kevin Garnett went to the league.

dabvu2498
04-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Isn't Xavier on the verge of hiring someone at the moment? I think so. But take that and a hill of beans and you would have a hill of beans.

BRM
04-07-2009, 11:47 AM
I think so. But take that and a hill of beans and you would have a hill of beans.

So is it Stallings?

dabvu2498
04-07-2009, 11:54 AM
So is it Stallings? Jerry Green.

improbus
04-07-2009, 12:00 PM
They blew the doors off of every team they played. And the way they were playing they would have blown the doors off of anyone they would have played. You could play the what if so and so hadn't gone to the NBA thing with every national champion since Kevin Garnett went to the league.

But, here is the difference. Kansas beat a team w/ 4-5 NBA players in Memphis, Florida beat OSU w/ 3 NBA guys and UCLA w/ 3 NBA guys. UNC beat Illinois w/ Deron Williams.

It is not Carolina's fault that they didn't play any great teams, but that makes it very hard for me to judge them. Raymar Morgan is the only NBA prospect on MSU, and he is probably a mid 2nd round guy. Griffin is a beast but the rest of his team is NIT worthy. Carolina may be great, but they didn't have to beat a great team to win. It is kind of like the Rockets two titles in 94 and 95.

BRM
04-07-2009, 12:31 PM
From Mike DeCourcy at The Sporting News.

According to the source, Pastner would hire former Kansas player Carl Henry as the program's director of operations, which would keep signed recruit Xavier Henry, Carl's son, in the program. Xavier Henry, a 6-6 wing, is a McDonald's All-American and top-five prospect in the class of 2009.

Pastner's presence also might help keep other players on the roster, such as wing Wesley Witherspoon, who expressed concern last week after Calipari left to take the Kentucky job.

pahster
04-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Lots of hungover undergrads stumbling around the UNC campus today. The team should be back in town soon and there's going to be some kind of celebration at the Smith Center at 2.

WVRed
04-07-2009, 12:39 PM
From Mike DeCourcy at The Sporting News.

I see Memphis next year being Kansas State from a couple years ago. Average team for Xavier Henry to showcase his talent on, but not much else after that. After next year, its hard telling how Pastner will do.

One thing to keep in mind though, Pastner was recruiting these players to play for John Calipari, not to play for Josh Pastner. Henry will stay due to the Dajuan Wagner effect but this is where the experience factor will weigh heavy against Pastner in recruiting a DeMarcus Cousins.

improbus
04-07-2009, 12:41 PM
I see Memphis next year being Kansas State from a couple years ago. Average team for Xavier Henry to showcase his talent on, but not much else after that. After next year, its hard telling how Pastner will do.

One thing to keep in mind though, Pastner was recruiting these players to play for John Calipari, not to play for Josh Pastner. Henry will stay due to the Dajuan Wagner effect but this is where the experience factor will weigh heavy against Pastner in recruiting a DeMarcus Cousins.
My thoughts exactly.

BRM
04-07-2009, 12:43 PM

Henry added to the current roster is enough to win the conference and make the tournament again next year. After that, you are correct that there is no way to tell where the program ends up. I seriously doubt Cousins has Memphis anywhere near his list at this point.

WVRed
04-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Henry added to the current roster is enough to win the conference and make the tournament again next year. After that, you are correct that there is no way to tell where the program ends up. I seriously doubt Cousins has Memphis anywhere near his list at this point.

Don't tell that to Memphis fans on Memphis Roar.:) Apparently Xavier and Cousins are a package deal according to them (they want to play together).

BRM
04-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Don't tell that to Memphis fans on Memphis Roar.:) Apparently Xavier and Cousins are a package deal according to them (they want to play together).

If that's the case, Memphis still has a shot at Cousins.

The fans there were holding out hope for the "wow" hire they were initially promised. Losing out on every name coach they went after left them jaded. Most analysts have praised the hire.

BRM
04-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Blake Griffin's news conference is coming up at 3:30 ET. What do you think he's going to do, go pro or come back to OU? What about Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington? Will they stay or will they go?

EDIT: Gary Parrish is saying Griffin will announce he's going pro. No surprise.

Puffy
04-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Blake Griffin's news conference is coming up at 3:30 ET. What do you think he's going to do, go pro or come back to OU? What about Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington? Will they stay or will they go?

EDIT: Gary Parrish is saying Griffin will announce he's going pro. No surprise.

All three you mention go pro, IMO.

BRM
04-07-2009, 04:40 PM
I think so too Puffy. Not much reason for any of them to stick around.

As a Heels fan, what's your expectation for Larry Drew next year? How good can he be?

WVRed
04-07-2009, 04:57 PM
According to a new article on Rivals, apparently Mr. Henry is not going to be appointed director of basketball operations at Memphis and both Xavier and CJ have been granted their release.

Kentucky and Kansas supposedly in the mix.

BRM
04-07-2009, 05:00 PM
The last I saw (can't remember the site now) was that Pastner hadn't contacted Carl Henry yet. It didn't affirmatively state he wasn't going to get the job, just that no contact had been made. Rivals is probably more reliable though.

WMR
04-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Gotta believe he ends up at Kansas.

WVRed
04-07-2009, 05:06 PM
All three you mention go pro, IMO.

Ed Davis has announced he is staying.

UNC is going to be very young and inexperienced next year, especially in the backcourt. Davis, Zeller, and Henson are going to be studs in the frontcourt, but Strickland and Drew will have some pretty big shoes to fill if Lawson and Ellington don't return.

WVRed
04-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Gotta believe he ends up at Kansas.

Agreed, although depending on how long this all plays out, if Meeks goes pro, then I could see UK being a possibility.

That being said, Meeks stays IMO.

Boss-Hog
04-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Agreed, although depending on how long this all plays out, if Meeks goes pro, then I could see UK being a possibility.

That being said, Meeks stays IMO.
I imagine it's already been reported in the UK thread: he hasn't signed with an agent yet, but he announced earlier today he's going to test the NBA waters.

WMR
04-07-2009, 05:08 PM
However, if Henry ends up at Kansas, does UK then become a player for Lance Stephenson? It's gotta annoy Lance that he's an AA yet is still being held at arm's length until they can figure out Henry's plan.

BRM
04-07-2009, 05:12 PM
However, if Henry ends up at Kansas, does UK then become a player for Lance Stephenson? It's gotta annoy Lance that he's an AA yet is still being held at arm's length until they can figure out Henry's plan.

Good question. Was UK on Stephenson's short list at any point? The NY Daily News has an article from a few days ago claiming St Johns is the major player if Kansas chooses Henry over him.

WMR
04-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Good question. Was UK on Stephenson's short list at any point?

No. But his "list" asides from Kansas is pretty underwhelming. (St. John's)

You've gotta think he'd at least listen if Cal and UK came a calling.

BRM
04-07-2009, 05:16 PM
No. But his "list" asides from Kansas is pretty underwhelming. (St. John's)

You've gotta think he'd at least listen if Cal and UK came a calling.

I would think so too.

WMR
04-07-2009, 05:17 PM
You gotta be pumped about your Hoosiers getting some actual ball players into the program. :D

BRM
04-07-2009, 05:19 PM
You gotta be pumped about your Hoosiers getting some actual ball players into the program. :D

What, no love for Brett Finkelmeier? :laugh:

I absolutely am pumped. Next year's class is a very good one.

Puffy
04-07-2009, 06:38 PM
I think so too Puffy. Not much reason for any of them to stick around.

As a Heels fan, what's your expectation for Larry Drew next year? How good can he be?

Whew, I don't know. He is a good defender. Long. Can give smaller quicker point guards problems because of his length. Can shoot in practice but hasn't really translated to games yet. Not as quick as he needs to be. Even when he gets a step quicker guards will catch up and get back in front of him. Lots to learn. As he goes so will Heels cause even though, as WVRed says, the frontcourt will be young they are going to be oh so talented. Davis, Thompson, Zeller, Henson (who might already be better than Davis and Davis is going to be a monster), and the Wear Twins. UNC is going to have 6 guys who get regular minutes who are 6'9, 6'10, 6'10, 7'0, 6'10 and 6'10. And all are super athletic. Plus Ginyard, the best on ball defender UNC has, is back after missing the year.

So, as Drew can go, UNC will go. And after watching Strickland at the McDonald's game, he is more of a compo guard rather than point guard, so Drew will really have to step up.

Puffy
04-07-2009, 06:41 PM
I imagine it's already been reported in the UK thread: he hasn't signed with an agent yet, but he announced earlier today he's going to test the NBA waters.

Chris Ford seems to think he's no better than a 2nd rounder right now, so I would seriously bet that he's back at UK unless he really blows up at the camps.

pahster
04-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Video of the...uh..."festivities" on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill last night:

http://www.dailytarheel.com/multimedia/video/video-franklin-street-the-celebration-1.1646328

Undergrads are crazy. I watched the game at home and went to bed five minutes after it ended.

Revering4Blue
04-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Really? I'm not too sure I buy that. Who did they beat in the tournament? MSU? Oklahoma who had one good player? That's it. I'm not sure that any team has had an easier path to the title. Also, there weren't any other great teams this year. Carolina benefited from everyone else losing guys to the NBA. Imagine this tournament:
OSU: Oden, Conley, Cook, Koufos, Turner, Mullens
Kansas: Rush, Arthur, Chalmers, Julian Wright etc...
Memphis: Rose, Douglas Roberts, Evans, Shawne Williams
UCLA: Love, Westbrook, Mbah a Moute, Holliday
LSU: Tyrus Thomas, Anthony Randolph,
Texas, Durant, Augustin, Abrams,
Kansas State: Beasley, Bill Walker
UCONN: Andrew Bynum
Washington: Martell Webster, Spencer Hawes
Louisville: Amir Johnson

Carolina might be a 2 or 3 seed in that tournament. OSU would have been a great matchup w/ Carolina. Conley is one of the few human beings who could keep up w/ Lawson. They would have had three 7'ers in Oden, Koufos, and Mullens. Tough to deal w/.

Interesting thought. But could you Imagine this year's Tar Heel team with Brandan Wright? Their interior defense would then allow them to more than hold their own against any team. And I'm no Tar Heel fan by any stretch of the imagination. Hansborough is a super kid, though.

WVRed
04-07-2009, 11:58 PM

I know, but I was referencing that if Meeks does make a final decision to go pro, then UK could likely make a run for Henry.

By that time, it would likely be over with though.

improbus
04-08-2009, 08:07 AM
Interesting thought. But could you Imagine this year's Tar Heel team with Brandan Wright? Their interior defense would then allow them to more than hold their own against any team. And I'm no Tar Heel fan by any stretch of the imagination. Hansborough is a super kid, though.
In a way, it is a real shame. I watched some of the tournament and came the the realization that this was clearly a JV tournament. Look at the 1st team All Americans. Steph Curry? Nice player, but a 1st team All American?

improbus
04-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Bob Knight said something very salient about Hansborough. He said that he wasn't one of the greatest players in CBB history, but one of the most effective. That sounds about right.

I don't miss Bob Knight the coach, but I do feel that he has been pretty solid as an analyst. Anyone who is willing put Digger in his place gets my vote of confidence.

BRM
04-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Whew, I don't know. He is a good defender. Long. Can give smaller quicker point guards problems because of his length. Can shoot in practice but hasn't really translated to games yet. Not as quick as he needs to be. Even when he gets a step quicker guards will catch up and get back in front of him. Lots to learn. As he goes so will Heels cause even though, as WVRed says, the frontcourt will be young they are going to be oh so talented. Davis, Thompson, Zeller, Henson (who might already be better than Davis and Davis is going to be a monster), and the Wear Twins. UNC is going to have 6 guys who get regular minutes who are 6'9, 6'10, 6'10, 7'0, 6'10 and 6'10. And all are super athletic. Plus Ginyard, the best on ball defender UNC has, is back after missing the year.

So, as Drew can go, UNC will go. And after watching Strickland at the McDonald's game, he is more of a compo guard rather than point guard, so Drew will really have to step up.

Thanks, Puffy. That's a pretty good report on Drew. All I've read to this point was cliche speak from various coaches and analysts. Stuff like "the job is his until someone takes it from him" and "he's our guy". Thanks for the insight.

bucksfan2
04-08-2009, 12:34 PM
In a way, it is a real shame. I watched some of the tournament and came the the realization that this was clearly a JV tournament. Look at the 1st team All Americans. Steph Curry? Nice player, but a 1st team All American?

One ESPN's first team they had Hansborough instead of Thabeet. That was shame right there. Look Hansborough by all accounts is a good kid but he peaked about 2 years ago. IF I had a son who was talented and could play at the highest level of college basketball I would want him to take the Hansborough route, I just got sick and tired of the media pimping him as the second coming.

Hey UK fans you bought your Final 4 tickets yet? ;) It will be in Indy next season.

leakbrewergator
04-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Bob Knight said something very salient about Hansborough. He said that he wasn't one of the greatest players in CBB history, but one of the most effective. That sounds about right.

I don't miss Bob Knight the coach, but I do feel that he has been pretty solid as an analyst. Anyone who is willing put Digger in his place gets my vote of confidence.

I don't know, I really cannot stand Bob Knight as an analyst. I actually think all the ESPN CBB analyst are trash. With the exception of Bilas.

It's a shame b/c they have some good CBB writers for ESPN.com, i.e. Pat Forde.

BRM
04-08-2009, 02:30 PM
I don't know, I really cannot stand Bob Knight as an analyst. I actually think all the ESPN CBB analyst are trash. With the exception of Bilas.

Don't mention Pat Forde's name on the UK thread. You'll get run outta there on a rail. :laugh:

improbus
04-08-2009, 02:37 PM

Hubert Davis is a disaster, Dickie V is Dickie V, Digger makes me want to pull out my hair, but Bob is okay. Think of it this way: Knight is Elmer Dessens, Dickie V is Joey Hamilton, Digger is Jose Acevedo, and Hubert Davis is Jimmy Haynes.

Cyclone792
04-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Don't mention Pat Forde's name on the UK thread. You'll get run outta there on a rail. :laugh:

So what you're saying is I should wander over to the UK thread and post something like, "Isn't that Pat Forde guy phenomenal? I mean he's truly a really outstanding sports writer!"

:lol:

Reds4Life
04-08-2009, 06:08 PM
So what you're saying is I should wander over to the UK thread and post something like, "Isn't that Pat Forde guy phenomenal? I mean he's truly a really outstanding sports writer!"

:lol:

Yep.

Then we can have your name changed to TubbyClyde792 after that grease up that rail for ya.

BRM
04-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Florida International is looking to hire Isiah Thomas as their next head coach, according to Andy Katz.

cumberlandreds
04-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Florida International is looking to hire Isiah Thomas as their next head coach, according to Andy Katz.

If they do hire him,the headline this time next year will be:
Florida International drops basketball program.

Isaih does have a history of destroying things you know.

Razor Shines
04-14-2009, 10:27 AM

Was Andy Katz's source Isiah Thomas?

Isiah Thomas has an awesome agent.

BRM
04-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Katz is now reporting it's a done deal. Isiah has accepted their offer.

Hoosier Red
04-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Was Andy Katz's source Isiah Thomas?

Isiah Thomas has an awesome agent.

AGENT: "No No No, this time I'm being 100% honest with you, Isiah is ready to coach again, I think you might be lucky enough to have him if you can meet his price."

BRM
04-14-2009, 12:11 PM
From Gary Parrish. Bad news for the 'Cuse if true.

Jonny Flynn will forgo his final two years of college and sign with an agent, according to Mike Waters of the Syracuse Post-Standard newspaper.

Waters has three sources -- all of them speaking on the condition of anonymity -- who told him Flynn plans to sign with Leon Rose, i.e., LeBron James' agent. A formal announcement is expected later this week, at which time any hopes the Orange had at a 2010 Final Four will officially be gone considering Paul Harris and Eric Devendorf have also applied for early entry into the NBA Draft.

Flynn averaged 17.4 points and 6.7 assists as a sophomore.

The 6-foot point guard is projected as a likely lottery pick in June's NBA Draft.

WMR
04-14-2009, 12:13 PM
hahahahahah

Boeheim: "He wants to come back, he really does. I'm *TELLING* him to put his name in there."

LOL, whatever you say Jim.

WMR
04-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Earl Clark hired an agent.

BRM
04-14-2009, 12:14 PM

I was just going to post that. Not a surprise really.

joshnky
04-14-2009, 12:24 PM

He also participated in Senior night. He wasn't coming back.

BRM
04-14-2009, 12:27 PM
He also participated in Senior night. He wasn't coming back.

:confused:

ESPN lists him as a junior?

joshnky
04-14-2009, 12:34 PM
:confused:

ESPN lists him as a junior?

Yes but he told everyone he was leaving so he gave him a farewell along with the three seniors. They did the same thing with Garcia in 2005.

BRM
04-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Yes but he told everyone he was leaving so he gave him a farewell along with the three seniors. They did the same thing with Garcia in 2005.

Gotcha. Sorry for my muddle-headedness this morning.

WMR
04-14-2009, 12:37 PM

Was he set to graduate early?

I have a fundamental problem with schools doing that.

Senior night is for your SENIORS. Or Juniors who are going to graduate early.

joshnky
04-14-2009, 12:48 PM

I'd be surprised if he would have graduated if he stayed four years. He wasn't exactly the brightest bulb in the box. I guess Pitino's philosophy is to honor the players that have made a difference in the program. Like I said before I think this is only the second time he's done it.

Would you be upset if the Cats did the same thing for Patterson after next season?

WMR
04-14-2009, 12:50 PM
I'd be surprised if he would have graduated if he stayed four years. He wasn't exactly the brightest bulb in the box. I guess Pitino's philosophy is to honor the players that have made a difference in the program. Like I said before I think this is only the second time he's done it.

Would you be upset if the Cats did the same thing for Patterson after next season?

Patterson is on track to graduate in 3 years so no I wouldn't.

If he wasn't would I have a problem with it? Yep.

DTCromer
04-14-2009, 12:52 PM
hahahahahah

Boeheim: "He wants to come back, he really does. I'm *TELLING* him to put his name in there."

LOL, whatever you say Jim.

Same thing he basically said abotu Melo and I believe him . . . . both times.

WVRed
04-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Patterson is on track to graduate in 3 years so no I wouldn't.

If he wasn't would I have a problem with it? Yep.

Did UK do anything for Michael Porter? I know he was set to graduate early, but I think he hadn't made a decision as to whether or not to return.

cumberlandreds
04-14-2009, 02:42 PM

Pitino did that for Mashburn and I think Ron Mercer too. I'm not sure but it seems like they honored them separately from the seniors. Maybe after the game?

joshnky
04-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Pitino did that for Mashburn and I think Ron Mercer too. I'm not sure but it seems like they honored them separately from the seniors. Maybe after the game?

This is how he did it at UofL as well. They didn't get included in all of the festivities but got the opportunity to say goodbye to the fans after the game.

WMR
04-14-2009, 04:58 PM
This is how he did it at UofL as well. They didn't get included in all of the festivities but got the opportunity to say goodbye to the fans after the game.

Oh, Okay. I have a different take on things if that is the case. I don't mind giving them a chance to thank the fans and say goodbye as long as the actual Seniors get their own special moment.

Puffy
04-14-2009, 05:00 PM
From Gary Parrish. Bad news for the 'Cuse if true.

I'm thinking Flynn might fit pretty doggone good with D'Antoni's Knicks in the Nash role.

WMR
04-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Did UK do anything for Michael Porter? I know he was set to graduate early, but I think he hadn't made a decision as to whether or not to return.

No. I was actually talking about this with a friend today. Porter is going to get his degree from UK and I really hope that they have him back next season for Senior Day so the Rupp fans can show him some love.

I can't remember a player ever having to put up with as much undeserved crap as Michael Porter. The kid played his heart out and gave maximum effort every game. It's not his fault he was pressed into a role that didn't fit his game and magnified some of his limitations.

BTW: Anyone who boos one of their own players in the college game in their home arena should, in my opinion, have their tickets taken away.

I wish every person who booed Michael Porter would get their butt dragged down onto the Rupp floor and be forced to make a free throw in front of 24,000 people.

dabvu2498
04-14-2009, 05:06 PM
No. I was actually talking about this with a friend today. Porter is going to get his degree from UK and I really hope that they have him back next season for Senior Day so the Rupp fans can show him some love. I can't remember a player ever having to put up with as much undeserved crap as Michael Porter. The kid played his heart out and gave maximum effort every game. It's not his fault he was pressed into a role that didn't fit his game and magnified some of his limitations. BTW: Anyone who boos one of their own players in the college game in their home arena should, in my opinion, have their tickets taken away. I wish every person who booed Michael Porter would get their butt dragged down onto the Rupp floor and be forced to make a free throw in front of 24,000 people. Saul Smith says "hello!"

WMR
04-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Saul Smith says "hello!"

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the "Saul Smith Exception."

Just joking.

Saul took a lot of undeserved crap as well although I think much of the booing was actually directed at the way Tubby used him and not at Saul. Impossible to make that distinction when all you can do is hear the boos, however.

TeamSelig
04-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Saul Smith deserved every single boo that he received.

dsmith421
04-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Saul Smith deserved every single boo that he received.

Disgraceful. We're talking about a college kid.

WMR
04-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Disgraceful. We're talking about a college kid.

Yeah, no college kid deserves to be booed.

MAYBE if a kid was out there half-assing it I could see it (i.e. obviously not giving full effort). But I'd still blame the coach because I'd be wondering why in the world that kid was playing in the first place.

dabvu2498
04-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Saul Smith deserved every single boo that he received. That's crazy. He gave his all for Kentucky.

WVRed
04-14-2009, 11:38 PM
That's crazy. He gave his all for Kentucky.

I've heard stories regarding how Saul Smith was one of the least favorite UK players off the court, but yeah, no college kid should be booed, even with this situation.

I remember when it was down to Kentucky and Duke for Chris Duhon and Duhon ultimately chose Duke. Ultimately I think the reason Duhon went to Durham was because he didn't want to share minutes with the coaches son. Sound about right?

dabvu2498
04-15-2009, 12:24 AM
I've heard stories regarding how Saul Smith was one of the least favorite UK players off the court, but yeah, no college kid should be booed, even with this situation. I remember when it was down to Kentucky and Duke for Chris Duhon and Duhon ultimately chose Duke. Ultimately I think the reason Duhon went to Durham was because he didn't want to share minutes with the coaches son. Sound about right? Off topic, but Duhon was a longtime Duke fan. And playing behind Saul didn't bother Cliff Hawkins, who was a top 50 recruit himself.

WVRed
04-15-2009, 12:44 AM
Off topic, but Duhon was a longtime Duke fan. And playing behind Saul didn't bother Cliff Hawkins, who was a top 50 recruit himself.

Duhon was a lot highly rated than Hawkins coming out. You may be more generous calling Hawkins a top 50 recruit, because I think he was a 4 star in the same range as Derrick Jasper. Im thinking between 50-100.

I'm kinda leery putting Duhon in the same category as Mayo, Rose, Wall, or Jennings because he didn't have the hype that they had. Of course it is negated by the fact that Duhon stayed at Duke as well. I could see why Duhon would want to go to Duke and play right away while Hawkins would ride the pine until Saul graduated.

dabvu2498
04-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Duhon was a lot highly rated than Hawkins coming out. You may be more generous calling Hawkins a top 50 recruit, because I think he was a 4 star in the same range as Derrick Jasper. Im thinking between 50-100. I'm kinda leery putting Duhon in the same category as Mayo, Rose, Wall, or Jennings because he didn't have the hype that they had. Of course it is negated by the fact that Duhon stayed at Duke as well. I could see why Duhon would want to go to Duke and play right away while Hawkins would ride the pine until Saul graduated. Just saying, Saul was not the Great Satan that he is made out to be by alot of UK fans. In fact, he was a good bit better player than most folks gave him credit for. And if he hadn't been Tubby's son, the amount of grief he would have caught would have been minimal. And that's sad that he did.

TeamSelig
04-15-2009, 07:55 AM
Thinking back, Tubby should have been canned for playing his own kid (who was nothing short of a terrible player). That is something that happens in little league, etc.... not at a school like UK. Anyone ever been held back by a lesser player who happens to be the coaches son?

I just think Saul probably thought he was a big shot playing for Kentucky and had a bit of arrogance to it all.

WVRed
04-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Thinking back, Tubby should have been canned for playing his own kid (who was nothing short of a terrible player). That is something that happens in little league, etc.... not at a school like UK. Anyone ever been held back by a lesser player who happens to be the coaches son?

I just think Saul probably thought he was a big shot playing for Kentucky and had a bit of arrogance to it all.

He did it at Georgia with GiGi.

That being said, Saul would have likely been an excellent PG at a mid-major where he wouldn't have had the pressure.

Just saying, Saul was not the Great Satan that he is made out to be by alot of UK fans. In fact, he was a good bit better player than most folks gave him credit for. And if he hadn't been Tubby's son, the amount of grief he would have caught would have been minimal. And that's sad that he did.

Porter caught the same amount of grief that Saul did, IMO, and is nowhere near related to Tubby.

cumberlandreds
04-15-2009, 10:34 AM
No college player deserves to be booed. Period. They aren't getting paid to do this. You can boo the pros all you want. That's part of their job is to take the bad with the good.
As for Saul Smith,he was good but not great point guard. If he was anyone elses son he would have never taken the grief that he did. I'm sure coaches recruiting against Tubby used that to sway potential pgs away from UK. Duke also helped get Duhon by provding his mother a job.

Chip R
04-15-2009, 11:04 AM

And how many of those seniors actually graduate?

bucksfan2
04-15-2009, 12:54 PM
No college player deserves to be booed. Period. They aren't getting paid to do this. You can boo the pros all you want. That's part of their job is to take the bad with the good.
As for Saul Smith,he was good but not great point guard. If he was anyone elses son he would have never taken the grief that he did. I'm sure coaches recruiting against Tubby used that to sway potential pgs away from UK. Duke also helped get Duhon by provding his mother a job.

You sure??????

I am really undecided on the booing aspect of college sports. In football I think it is more acceptable because you are booing a teams effort and not a particular player in general. In college basketball you can direct your boos at one particular player which is wrong.

cumberlandreds
04-15-2009, 02:04 PM
You sure??????

I am really undecided on the booing aspect of college sports. In football I think it is more acceptable because you are booing a teams effort and not a particular player in general. In college basketball you can direct your boos at one particular player which is wrong.

Most aren't. ;) They are getting a free education which is worth more than anything they could ever have.

joshnky
04-22-2009, 10:26 PM
It's confirmed that Louisville junior commitment Jeremy Tyler will skip his senior year of high school and go overseas. Jody Demling

This, combined with Richard's defection to Florida, is a major blow to the Cards 2010 recruiting class. There is still a lot of time but what was once looking like a top five class doesn't look quite as promising. What happens next will likely depend on who Pitino picks to replace his son and whether they can keep the Lawrence North pipeline open.

WMR
04-23-2009, 12:35 AM
This, combined with Richard's defection to Florida, is a major blow to the Cards 2010 recruiting class. There is still a lot of time but what was once looking like a top five class doesn't look quite as promising. What happens next will likely depend on who Pitino picks to replace his son and whether they can keep the Lawrence North pipeline open.

Can Pitino sell this to recruits? " Hey guys, who can get you to the pros quicker than me?" " I coached the first ever none and done."

Scrap Irony
04-23-2009, 12:55 AM
Is this perhaps a result of the rumors and innuendo surrounding the Louisville program?

I doubt it, but the HS junior may be wise to sell it like it is.

That someone is willing to pluck him out of school and pay him before his senior year in high school is reprehensible. That his parents would agree to that borders on criminal. That this could be de riguer among HS basketball players worries the snot out of me.

bucksfan2
04-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Is this perhaps a result of the rumors and innuendo surrounding the Louisville program?

I doubt it, but the HS junior may be wise to sell it like it is.

That someone is willing to pluck him out of school and pay him before his senior year in high school is reprehensible. That his parents would agree to that borders on criminal. That this could be de riguer among HS basketball players worries the snot out of me.

How is this legal? I would assume the only way he legally could play over sees without finishing high school if he is 18 or his parents sign him out of school.

Scrap Irony
04-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Criminal in the sense that it should be illegal, wrong, morally reprehensible, not that it is indeed against the laws of the state. An idiom that means it's bad.

bucksfan2
04-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Criminal in the sense that it should be illegal, wrong, morally reprehensible, not that it is indeed against the laws of the state. An idiom that means it's bad.

But isn't it truancy? Aren't your required to attend school if you are under 18 and don't have a high school diploma?

WVRed
04-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Can Pitino sell this to recruits? " Hey guys, who can get you to the pros quicker than me?" " I coached the first ever none and done."

Sebastian Telfair says hi.:wave:

dabvu2498
04-23-2009, 10:46 AM
But isn't it truancy? Aren't your required to attend school if you are under 18 and don't have a high school diploma? Home school? Besides, you're forgetting the biggest piece of this scenario -- they're moving to Europe.

WVRed
04-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Home school? Besides, you're forgetting the biggest piece of this scenario -- they're moving to Europe.

Which unfortunately is going to become the trend thanks to the NCAA requiring students to go to college for one year.

If you were a McDonalds All American and top recruit in the nation, which would you choose:

1.Going to college for one year and ultimately have nothing to show for it.

2.Going to Europe and collect a paycheck before cashing in big time in the US.

I know the college route is more popular right now, but once a US player comes back and becomes the no 1 overall pick (Tyler could do it), you will see a trend emerge. Brandon Jennings likely will not do it.

Another scary thought, and trying to keep politics out of this thread, but if the economy worsens and the value of the dollar falls in lieu of the Euro, you may see some top free agents in the NBA bolt to Europe. I believe LeBron even said he would consider playing in Europe.

dabvu2498
04-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Which unfortunately is going to become the trend thanks to the NCAA requiring students to go to college for one year. If you were a McDonalds All American and top recruit in the nation, which would you choose: 1.Going to college for one year and ultimately have nothing to show for it. 2.Going to Europe and collect a paycheck before cashing in big time in the US. I know the college route is more popular right now, but once a US player comes back and becomes the no 1 overall pick (Tyler could do it), you will see a trend emerge. Brandon Jennings likely will not do it. Another scary thought, and trying to keep politics out of this thread, but if the economy worsens and the value of the dollar falls in lieu of the Euro, you may see some top free agents in the NBA bolt to Europe. I believe LeBron even said he would consider playing in Europe. The real money though, is in endorsements. LeBron, Carmelo, etc. are going to do what Nike, et al, want them to do. And that'll be in the NBA.

dabvu2498
04-23-2009, 11:33 AM
There have been very few 17 year old players in the history of the game who were physically or mentally ready to play against 25-30 year old men, even Europeans. This kid may be able to do it. I have no idea. He will be able to cash some checks, but will they be as big as if he went to college. Risky for sure.

WMR
04-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Which unfortunately is going to become the trend thanks to the NCAA requiring students to go to college for one year.

If you were a McDonalds All American and top recruit in the nation, which would you choose:

1.Going to college for one year and ultimately have nothing to show for it.

2.Going to Europe and collect a paycheck before cashing in big time in the US.

I know the college route is more popular right now, but once a US player comes back and becomes the no 1 overall pick (Tyler could do it), you will see a trend emerge. Brandon Jennings likely will not do it.

Another scary thought, and trying to keep politics out of this thread, but if the economy worsens and the value of the dollar falls in lieu of the Euro, you may see some top free agents in the NBA bolt to Europe. I believe LeBron even said he would consider playing in Europe.

No way this becomes a trend.

This has been a nightmare for Brandon Jennings.

A 17-18 year old kid going to live in Europe to play against 30+ y/o men is a sure-fire recipe for disaster.

You're more likely to hurt your draft stock than help it by a move like this, not to mention the visibility that a superstar gains by going to college for a season.

Hoosier Red
04-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Mark Cuban had the idea on his blog a while ago, that if you owned a USBL or ABL? franchise, it'd be a good idea to sign a 15 year old. You could train him up just like the European squads do, and when it came time for the NBA to sign him, they could pay you a fee for part of the privilige.

bucksfan2
04-23-2009, 12:51 PM
No way this becomes a trend.

This has been a nightmare for Brandon Jennings.

A 17-18 year old kid going to live in Europe to play against 30+ y/o men is a sure-fire recipe for disaster.

You're more likely to hurt your draft stock than help it by a move like this, not to mention the visibility that a superstar gains by going to college for a season.

I don't think you will see a trend start to develop. There are very few high school seniors who are both physically and mentally ready to play professional ball right away. Now throw in a different culture and a different language as well as playing with grown men and you have a recipe for disaster.

A benefit that you may see if there are more European defects is they will learn a more fundamental style of play. But this is a HUGE risk that a 16-17 old is willing to take.

improbus
04-23-2009, 08:17 PM
I don't think you will see a trend start to develop. There are very few high school seniors who are both physically and mentally ready to play professional ball right away. Now throw in a different culture and a different language as well as playing with grown men and you have a recipe for disaster.

A benefit that you may see if there are more European defects is they will learn a more fundamental style of play. But this is a HUGE risk that a 16-17 old is willing to take.

The real issue w/ Euro leagues is that they heavily favor vet's. I read an in-game blog about a game Jennings played in. Jennings was clearly the best player on his team, if not in the game. Yet, the coach continued to give him small minutes. If you look at the resume's of most young Euro's coming into the league, they have very few minutes played per game. That is certainly something that kids need to consider.

My biggest problem w/ the current one and done system is that players at semester only schools don't really ever have to take any classes if they are going to leave. As much as big time college sports is an academic sham, this is a debacle. Players only need to get 6 credit hours in the fall and then "enroll" in Spring Classes (which they may never attend).

bucksfan2
04-24-2009, 09:24 AM
The real issue w/ Euro leagues is that they heavily favor vet's. I read an in-game blog about a game Jennings played in. Jennings was clearly the best player on his team, if not in the game. Yet, the coach continued to give him small minutes. If you look at the resume's of most young Euro's coming into the league, they have very few minutes played per game. That is certainly something that kids need to consider.

I have never seen Jennings play basketball. The only time I would have seen him play is during highlights of the All-American game. But if he is like most other high school starts his fundamentals are lacking. Over in Europe the players are much more fundamental. Too often "fundamentals" are overlooked by talent. If Jennings couldn't play the style of game his coach wanted him to player there is a reason he is on the bench.

Look at Yancy Gates season at UC. It was embarassing how poor his fundamentals were when the season began. As he played more his fundamentals improved but you also had a pouting episode to deal with as well as a benching. It is just a stage of the developmental process that most 18 year olds go through. Now imagine the same attitude with 30 year old vets who play the game as their livelihood. Wouldn't mix to well if you ask me.

BRM
04-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Nolan Dennis has signed a LOI with Baylor.

WVRed
04-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Nolan Dennis has signed a LOI with Baylor.

I look for GJ Vilarino to follow.

I hope Baylor does well in the Big XII. Scott Drew is really making a name for himself with rebuilding Baylor from the Patrick Dennehy fiasco.

nmculbreth
04-24-2009, 03:54 PM

This is a bit hyperbolic, no?

While this sort of arrangement is a first for a basketball player, it isn't like this is entirely without precedence. Elite gymnasts and figure skaters have been home schooled / tutored for years in order for them to devote more time to training for their sport, many of whom are significantly younger than Jeremy Tyler. The same can be said of tennis and golf prodigies.

Heck major league baseball permits teams to sign international prospects at the ripe old age of sixteen. I don't remember any lamentation about lost youth when the Reds were doling out six figure bonuses to the likes of Juan Duran or Yorman Rodriguez.

Why is this young man being held to a different standard?

Whether or not this is a wise move remains to be seen. That being said I can understand the thought process of the Tyler family and in a lot of ways this makes sense. In terms of basketball development what exactly does Jeremy Tyler gain by playing another year of high school ball? I'd be willing to venture that he's probably the biggest kid on the court in nearly every game or practice he plays and on the off chance he does play against another seven footer, he's still the more talented player. In Europe he has the opportunity to practice and play against grown men who can challenge him and better prepare him for the rigors of playing in the NBA.

Throw in a couple hundred thousand dollars per year and the opportunity to see the world and it doesn't look like that bad of a decision, IMHO.

CincinnatiRep
04-27-2009, 03:07 AM
My apologies if this had been already posted, but here's the ACC/Big 10 Challenge Schedule for 2009.

Monday, Nov. 30
Penn State @ Virginia

Tuesday, Dec. 1
Maryland @ Indiana
Michigan State @ North Carolina
Northwestern @ N.C. State
Virginia Tech @ Iowa
Wake Forest @ Purdue

Wednesday, Dec. 2
Boston College @ Michigan
Duke @ Wisconsin
Florida State @ Ohio State
Illinois @ Clemson
Minnesota @ Miami

15fan
04-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Duke @ Wisconsin.

Battle of the Pasty White Guys.

WVRed
04-27-2009, 10:18 AM
Duke @ Wisconsin.

Ahem.

cumberlandreds
04-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Duke @ Wisconsin.

I'm surprised coach K agreed to go outside the state of North Carolina for a game. :)

WMR
04-27-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm surprised coach K agreed to go outside the state of North Carolina for a game. :)

Coach Cal: "They won't play us."

:D

WVRed
04-27-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm starting to wonder if things could get any worse for Little Brother U right now.

Richard Pitino leaves for Florida

Rick Pitino has to deal with extortion charges from a crazed woman

Top recruit decides to skip senior year of high school to go to Europe

and now the kicker:

U of L's new downtown arena collapsed today(or at least a portion of it). No injuries, fortunately.

CincinnatiRep
04-27-2009, 11:33 PM
I think Dayton fans should be really excited about bringing in Josh Parker from Drake. He's the type of player that could lead a team through the NCAA Tournament. I think the Flyers will advance in the NCAA Tournament next year without him. I wouldn't be surprised if Dayton goes through a 3-year stretch (2009-2011) where they advance to at least the 2nd Round in all 3 years.

Boston Red
04-28-2009, 02:56 AM
Dayton has a lot of lost time to catch up for.

bucksfan2
04-28-2009, 09:22 AM
I think Dayton fans should be really excited about bringing in Josh Parker from Drake. He's the type of player that could lead a team through the NCAA Tournament. I think the Flyers will advance in the NCAA Tournament next year without him. I wouldn't be surprised if Dayton goes through a 3-year stretch (2009-2011) where they advance to at least the 2nd Round in all 3 years.

Dayton is a good team they are just without a shooter. It was evident in their loss to Kansas where Kansas dared UD to beat them from the outside and UD couldn't. They have one of the most talented teams UD has seen in years but can't hit an outside shot.

BRM
05-07-2009, 02:34 PM
NCAA rules committee eyes changes

INDIANAPOLIS -- Recommendations regarding defense under the basket and substitute free throw shooters for injured players have been made by the NCAA's Men's and Women's Basketball Rules Committee.

The committee met from Monday to Wednesday in Phoenix, and the recommendations for men's games only are subject to the approval of the Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which is scheduled to meet via conference call on June 3.

The recommendation on play under the basket won't call for a restricted-area arc painted in the lane as the NBA has, but it prohibits a secondary defender from establishing position in the area from the front of the rim to the front of the backboard. A defender must establish position outside that area to draw a charge or player-control foul.

"In our surveys and rules forums, the coaches wanted the committee to address the increasing contact that seems to occur under the basket," NCAA Secretary-Rules Editor for Men's Basketball Ed Bilik said. "Instead of an experimental rule, this clarifies how officials are to call this play throughout the season."

In the proposal of substituting for a free throw shooter who has been injured, the opposing coach would choose the player to attempt the free throws from the four remaining players on the court.

"This rule change is intended to eliminate a team that is fouled from gaining an advantage that it does not deserve," said Dick Hack, chair of the men's committee and athletics director at New York-Maritime. "We believe this is a solid proposal that will not unduly penalize the team that was fouled."

In this year's NCAA tournament, Missouri coach Mike Anderson took advantage of the current rule to have freshman Kim English come off the bench to take two free throws for J.T. Tiller, who fell hard and hurt his right wrist when he was fouled with 5.5 seconds left and the second-round game against Marquette tied at 79.

English, who had played little in the second half, made both free throws and the Tigers went on to an 83-79 victory.

There was a recommendation for both men's and women's games that would officials to use a monitor to review a play and determine if a flagrant foul occurred. When a flagrant foul has not occurred, the committee would allow the officiating crew to penalize a player with an intentional personal or a technical foul for contact.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4147745

bucksfan2
05-07-2009, 02:53 PM
One rule that needs to be adjusted is the charging call. They keep beating around the bush trying to tweak it without fixing it. I follow the Len Elmore way of thinking. If someone is attempting to draw a charge and there is contact and the defender hits the ground then a foul must be called. If it isn't a charge then it is a block. IMO it would make the game better without (Duke) players falling all over the place.

The hurt free throw shooter should be interesting to see.

WVRed
05-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Another Pitino rumor:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-pitinokings050709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Rick Pitino has emerged as a candidate for the Sacramento Kings’ coaching job, multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Pitino has communicated his interest in a possible NBA return to Kings ownership, sources say, and one league official describes the Maloof family as “intrigued.”

It is believed that Pitino intermediaries initiated the contact. No Kings offer is imminent and so far conversations have been exploratory in nature.

Sources caution that there are significant hurdles that need to be cleared before Pitino could become Sacramento’s coach, but say for a variety of reasons Pitino is feeling the pull of the pros again.

Kings co-owner Gavin Maloof denied that the Kings have spoken with Pitino, but several NCAA and NBA sources strongly insist that Pitino has talked by phone with at least one member of the family and has been a major topic of discussion within the organization the past week.

“I think he’s a great coach and he’s done an unbelievable job at Louisville,” Maloof told Yahoo! Sports. “But we haven’t talked to him.”

Nevertheless, sources say the Maloofs are weighing the worth of paying what it would take to secure Pitino. The Kings are considering several candidates, including front-runner Eddie Jordan, and had been waiting until later in May to start interviews. The Maloofs hadn’t planned to pay much more than $2.5 million a season for any coach, sources say, but the owners understand they’ll need to significantly raise that figure to get serious with Pitino

Beyond money, the Maloofs would have to sell Pitino’s candidacy to general manager Geoff Petrie. Pitino has insisted that he no longer craves the personnel control that he had with the Boston Celtics, but his ego and power-hungry history can make entrenched league executives hesitant. It’s unclear where Petrie stands on a Pitino candidacy.

The Maloofs own the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas, a city that Pitino likes to spend time in the offseason. Seven years ago, Pitino strongly considered an offer to coach at UNLV before taking the Louisville job.

When the Kings hired ex-Louisville assistant Reggie Theus as coach two years ago, the Maloof brothers – Gavin and Joe – did so largely on Pitino’s recommendation. The Kings fired Theus midway into last season and interim coach Kenny Natt was let go in April.

Pitino hadn’t been part of the Kings’ original coaching search, because a high-priced and high-profile candidate didn’t seem to make sense for the cash-strapped organization. Now, the Maloofs are re-examining that based on the interest Pitino has shown in returning to the NBA. Pitino makes more than $3 million a season in a multi-year deal at Louisville.

Nevertheless, NBA executives have insisted for more than a year that Pitino has been monitoring pro openings in hopes of returning to the league for a third time as head coach.

Sources say Jordan, the ex-Kings and Washington Wizards coach, has been the front-runner for the Sacramento job. Paul Westphal and Mike Fratello are also candidates.

Pitino had a successful two-year run as coach of the New York Knicks coach, who he twice led to the playoffs. Eventually, a power struggle with GM Al Bianchi pushed Pitino to take the job at Kentucky in 1989.

After two Final Fours and a national title at Kentucky, Pitino took a $50 million contract to run the Celtics in 1997. His tenure was marred with impulsive trades, folly free-agent signings and losing basketball. Four years later, Pitino resigned with a 102-146 record and no playoff appearances.

Since losing to Michigan State in the regional finals of the 2009 NCAA tournament, Pitino has been under siege at Louisville. He’s been involved in a bizarre extortion case involving the estranged wife of a basketball staff member. Pitino filed charges against the woman, Kim Sypher, who federal authorities arrested and charged on April 24.

Before the controversy became public last month, Pitino sent his son, Richard, a Louisville assistant, to join Billy Donovan’s coaching staff at the University of Florida. One of Pitino’s top recruits, Jeremy Tyler, decided to skip college to start his professional career in Europe.

The Maloofs would be banking that Pitino could generate interest, sell tickets and play an appealing up-tempo style. The Kings were 17-65 last season, worst in the NBA, and have lost clout with a fan base that sold out Arco Arena for years. Sacramento has the best chance among lottery teams to earn the No. 1 pick in the June draft and select Oklahoma forward Blake Griffin.

BRM
05-08-2009, 01:19 PM
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- Louisville says coach Rick Pitino is not interested in returning to the NBA.

The university insists there is no truth to a Yahoo! Sports report that said Pitino had inquired about the Sacramento Kings' vacant coaching job. Louisville spokesman Kenny Klein said Pitino was in his office Friday but did not feel it necessary to address the situation.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=546839

Chip R
05-08-2009, 01:23 PM
I wonder if, he took that job and the Kings were on a losing streak, he'd say, "Mitch Richmond isn't walking through that door, Chris Weber isn't walking through that door and Vlade Divac isn't walking throught that door."

BRM
05-12-2009, 12:17 PM
From Gary Parrish.

Coaches won't come within half-court heave of Stephenson

Lance Stephenson was set to announce his college decision on March 31.

The New York star was said to be choosing between Kansas, St. John's and Maryland.

But then Kansas decided it would rather pursue Xavier Henry and ultimately passed, and now St. John's and Maryland are reportedly out of the race. Meantime, Kentucky essentially said thanks but no thanks. And though multiple reports currently list Arizona and Memphis as leaders, the interest of new Arizona coach Sean Miller is said to be low, and Memphis isn't sure where it stands (or if it is standing at all), all of which makes the recruitment of Stephenson the strangest this side of John Wall.

But why?

At least with Wall, the hesitation is on Wall's side.

Kentucky, Duke or Florida would take his commitment this second.

But most traditionally powerful schools -- even traditionally powerful schools that need players, like Arizona -- are passing on Stephenson like he's Hamburger Helper at Cousin Eddie's, leaving the McDonald's All-American in a unique position. Basically, he has joined Renardo Sidney as a top 10 prospect no solid program with a secure coach wants, proving we've reached an era where talent alone is no longer enough to keep everybody intrigued.

Now don't get me wrong; talent is great.

Few win without it.

But just as UCLA and Southern California passed on Sidney despite the fact that he's a future pro living miles from their campuses, several schools have either passed on or showed no interest in Stephenson. Over the past week, CBSSports.com spoke to multiple schools once involved in Stephenson's recruitment for clarification, and though the exact reasons behind the lack of interest varied, the common theme was that taking the Class of 2009 standout simply isn't worth the trouble for anyone who isn't desperate.

Can you imagine?

A McDonald's All-American not worth the trouble?

In most cases, schools kill each other -- and sometimes cheat like hell -- to land a top 10 prospect, particularly one who remains available this late in the process. But the majority of college coaches are avoiding Stephenson like he's Swine Flu, mostly because they -- according to sources speaking on the condition of anonymity -- believe dealing with his father (Lance Stephenson Sr.) will create more headaches than wins, and/or that the NCAA might eventually question whether Stephenson's amateur status has been compromised. He has been a high-profile prospect since before high school, a notable talent on the summer circuit where agents and the runners who gather for them tend to invest in the futures of potential stars.

In other words, Lance Stephenson is like a supermodel with herpes.

(Yeah, I said it.)

He looks great from a distance, and you can't help but look. But you know that inviting him into your home could be regrettable, which is why many coaches have taken less-talented/safer players and left Stephenson for the desperate who believe the possible reward outweighs the possible risk. For their sake, I hope they're right. Because barring a change of plans, some school will accept a signed national letter of intent from Stephenson on May 20, at which point the circus will begin.

Sure, there's a chance it'll work out and be fine.

But the number of coaches practicing abstinence should tell you something.

WVRed
05-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Just give them the death penalty in both sports already:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4162444

LOS ANGELES -- A former associate of NBA star O.J. Mayo says that Southern California basketball coach Tim Floyd paid a man who helped get Mayo to play for the Trojans, Yahoo! Sports reported on Tuesday.

Louis Johnson, the former associate of Mayo's, told the Web site that Rodney Guillory told him that Floyd had given Guillory "a grand." Johnson said he was able to view $100 bills inside an envelope Guillory had.

Floyd
Floyd

Last year on ESPN's "Outside the Lines," Johnson accused Guillory of providing Mayo with improper benefits while the guard played for USC.

Johnson said the payment occurred in 2007. Johnson was not present for the actual exhange, but Guillory reportedly told him that they were meeting Floyd to receive money that they could spend at All-Star Weekend in Las Vegas. Johnson saw Guillory meet Floyd outside a cafe and drove around the block. When he picked up Guillory 15 minutes later he was shown the envelope containing money.

Yahoo! Sports reported Johnson has told NCAA investigators and federal authorities -- including the FBI, IRS and U.S. Attorney's Office -- that Floyd paid Guillory.

Mayo
Mayo

If Floyd did pay Guillory for delivering Mayo to USC, that would be a major NCAA violation.

Yahoo! Sports also reported that Southern California is the subject of an NCAA investigation into alleged improprieties in both the football and men's basketball programs.

The football probe stems from allegations of 2005 Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush receiving improper benefits for a sports marketing agent while at USC.

Guillory and Floyd declined to comment to Yahoo! about the latest accusations by Johnson.

USC general counsel Carol Mauch Amir also declined comment.

The NCAA does not comment about ongoing investigations.

Johnson had described Guillory as a "runner" who steered Mayo to the Bill Duffy Associates (BDA) sports agency. Johnson said Guillory received between $200,000 and $250,000 from BDA Sports for his efforts, which resulted in Mayo initially signing with BDA when he left USC after one season for the NBA in April 2008.

Mayo had switched to agent Leon Rose before he was drafted third overall by Memphis last year and was runner-up for the NBA's Rookie of the Year award to Chicago's Derrick Rose.

Johnson's attorneys, Anthony V. Salerno and David Murphy, confirmed to Yahoo! Sports that Johnson had told FBI, IRS and U.S. Attorney's Office investigators on May 28, 2008, about his account of the payment from Floyd to Guillory. Two weeks later, Johnson told the NCAA, according to the attorneys.

Salerno told Yahoo! Sports that Johnson's account to federal authorities carried the threat of potential prosecution if Johnson was found to be lying.

According to Johnson's attorneys, Johnson spoke with the NCAA last Friday morning at 10 a.m. PT. The conference call -- which lasted about an hour and a half -- included Johnson, his attorneys, two members of outside counsel representing USC and the two NCAA investigators who interviewed Johnson regarding Mayo last summer.

Salerno said the NCAA investigators prefaced their line of questioning by saying they "needed to tie up some loose ends."

"Our sense is that something is imminent," Salerno said. "I think the NCAA is very close to concluding their investigation. I would say it's looming large and soon."

Information from ESPN's Kelly Naqi and The Associated Press was used in this report.