PDA

View Full Version : Dickerson

jamess697
01-24-2009, 11:59 PM
I think that Dickerson will progress and become a good player in Left this year. He has speed and a quick bat that will allow him to hit for some power. His defense is solid and I feel that he will have a better season than Nady, Swisher, or Dye. Stay in house and save money!

CesarGeronimo
01-25-2009, 12:12 AM
I hope you're right. That would be a heckuva a story if it turns out that way.

I saw Dickerson and Yonder Alonso at the Reds Caravan in Bloomington yesterday and what a difference between the two of them. Dickerson is long and lean, very athletic looking, and Alonso looks thick and powerful. Dickerson is listed at 6-3 and Alonso at 6-2, but I'd be really surprised if there isn't actually more of a difference in their heights than an inch.

Emin3mShady07
01-25-2009, 12:29 AM
I think it is a huge stretch to say that Dickerson would be better than Swisher. He has a career miLB OPS of .778 so saying he is going to be a better player than a plus defensive LFer with an above average bat is a bit over the top to me. Nady is almost as good as swisher, except for defense so it's a stretch there too. And Dye is just dependent on how he ages from this past season to the current one. I don't think Dye will be that good next year, but you never know.

Blood Red Path
01-25-2009, 05:11 AM
The way Dickerson plays reminds me alot of Ray Lankford... Am I the only one??

Anyway, if he had a Lankford type career, I think we would all be satisfied.

Hopefully by 2010 Dickerson and Alonso will have shown enough that we will have a starting outfield of Bruce, Dickerson, Votto(with Alonso at first); and we can relegate Taveras to an overpaid 4th OF/pinchrunner.

fitz1
01-25-2009, 07:50 AM
After the six weeks that Dickerson had after being called up in August, as GM he would be my left fielder until someone took the job away from him. In his 31 games he hit .304, had an OBP of .413 and slugging percentage at .608 and played solid defense. He hit 6 HR and had 5 SB; that projects to 31 homers and 21 stolen bases based on playing 130 games. I'll take that any day.

fitz1
01-25-2009, 07:55 AM
We keep hearing about the need for a right handed power hitter, Dickerson's stats show he hit .286 against lefties and .309 against righties.

redsfandan
01-25-2009, 02:12 PM
I think it is a huge stretch to say that Dickerson would be better than Swisher. He has a career miLB OPS of .778 so saying he is going to be a better player than a plus defensive LFer with an above average bat is a bit over the top to me. Nady is almost as good as swisher, except for defense so it's a stretch there too. And Dye is just dependent on how he ages from this past season to the current one. I don't think Dye will be that good next year, but you never know.
Dickerson may not be as good as those players but he should still be an average or better leftfielder and all of those other players will cost ALOT more so I think it's safe to say that Dickerson will at least be the better value by far.

... Hopefully by 2010 Dickerson and Alonso will have shown enough that we will have a starting outfield of Bruce, Dickerson, Votto(with Alonso at first); and we can relegate Taveras to an overpaid 4th OF/pinchrunner.
x2 but I think we need to be realistic about who THEY will still want in center.

After the six weeks that Dickerson had after being called up in August, as GM he would be my left fielder until someone took the job away from him. In his 31 games he hit .304, had an OBP of .413 and slugging percentage at .608 and played solid defense. He hit 6 HR and had 5 SB; that projects to 31 homers and 21 stolen bases based on playing 130 games. I'll take that any day.
To think he could repeat the ba/obp/slg % he had last year and have 30+ hrs this year is beyond optimistic. I think 15-20 hrs is more realistic. But I agree that I'd take a plus defender that could possibly be a 20/20 player as well.

Orodle
01-26-2009, 02:50 AM
I hope your right as well but really doubt he will have a better offensive season than Dye.

redsfandan
01-26-2009, 03:39 AM
You're correct if you look at offense only. But add in defense and it should make it alot closer.

CRedsLarkin11
01-26-2009, 11:25 PM
I really think Dickerson is the wild card here. Everyone is saying the Reds are doomed because they didn't sign or trade for the big name more expensive and more of a track record left fielder. I'm not saying they are going to be in contention either but Dickerson could really surprise. He hits for average, plays good defense and shows flashes of power. He could potentially be a 20/20 guy and that would be excellent. It's unfortunate and I hate second guessing the guys who get paid to do it, but his biggest enemy right now is Dusty Baker.

Slyder
01-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Dickerson should have been given a chance to play his natural CF. He could very easily be Mike Cameron who most everyone says theyd take from him. The guys been quoted as saying he didnt take baseball seriously until last year and changed his swing, IMO you throw the whole book out on him because you dont know what you got. He should have been given a chance to earn CF not have it given to the one guy that Corey Patterson could be looked at as a possible LATERAL move.

flash
01-27-2009, 08:41 AM
I really think Dickerson is the wild card here. Everyone is saying the Reds are doomed because they didn't sign or trade for the big name more expensive and more of a track record left fielder. I'm not saying they are going to be in contention either but Dickerson could really surprise. He hits for average, plays good defense and shows flashes of power. He could potentially be a 20/20 guy and that would be excellent. It's unfortunate and I hate second guessing the guys who get paid to do it, but his biggest enemy right now is Dusty Baker.

I think you are right. He was very impressive at times in the minors with some really big games then his bat would go silent. Then last year at Louisvile in May he finally started to put it together, then went on a tear in June and July before his August call-up. If he is 20/20 and can bat .300 he is as valuable as Bruce.

Redlegs23
01-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Count me in as someone who has high hopes for Dickerson. I would much rather see a guy like Dickerson who has speed, plays good defense, and can hit for average over Gomes who is a right handed Adam Dunn with less power. I hope Gomes proves me wrong, but the guy strikes out a bunch and is a poor fielder. Sure he will hit an occasional homerun, but so can Dickerson.

thatcoolguy_22
01-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Count me in as someone who has high hopes for Dickerson. I would much rather see a guy like Dickerson who has speed, plays good defense, and can hit for average over Gomes who is a right handed Adam Dunn with less power. I hope Gomes proves me wrong, but the guy strikes out a bunch and is a poor fielder. Sure he will hit an occasional homerun, but so can Dickerson.

Gomes is not Dunn with less power, he is Russel Branyon with less power.

The only real upside to Chris Dickerson is the fact we don't know about him yet. He is fast with and is an above average defender in LF but, we have no proof that he has turned around his game. On the other hand we know Gomes is garbage, Hairston is a fraud and, Nix and Hopper are even poorer options.

The RedsZone community is sold on the fact that he started taking baseball seriously around the same time that he started hitting the ball well. Hmmm sounds fishy. If I was a 26 year old minor leaguer on a fast track to know where, I would say something similar during a hot streak.

Don't get me wrong I hope he turns into a better version of Alex Rios but I don't think it is likely either.

Here are some of his numbers to glance at. Look at the BABIP from last year and for his career and compare those to the norm of .280-.300

Season Team BB% K% BB/K OBP SLG OPS ISO BABIP wRC wRAA wOBA

2006 Reds (AA) 14.3 % 33.2 % 0.50 .355 .424 .779 .183 .331 64.3 15.0 .363
2007 Reds (AA) 5.8 % 27.2 % 0.23 .325 .351 .676 .079 .366 13.2 -1.5 .316
2007 Reds (AAA) 12.8 % 37.0 % 0.40 .361 .435 .796 .175 .376 59.9 11.8 .365
2008 Reds (AAA) 13.4 % 29.2 % 0.53 .384 .479 .862 .192 .377 69.0 19.7 .387
2008 Reds(MLB) 14.3 % 34.3 % 0.49 .413 .608 1.021 .304 .410 25.2 10.5 .432

Sorry I can't get the numbers to line up correctly. However it appears everything is skewed 1 stat to the right

stock
01-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Dickerson's last 300 AB last year were off the charts. It would be a shame if we didn't give him every opportunity to prove it wasn't a fluke. Besides it is not like they have better options.

Kingspoint
01-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Don't forget that when a player develops, you hope that it's not consistent.

You hope that at certain points in his career "lights get turned on". This happened to Dickerson the last week of May last year when Bruce got called up.

Dickerson is not the player now that he was before May of last year. He is the player now that he was after that last week of May.

The only thing that could cause him to revert back to the "other" Chris Dickerson is if Dusty chooses not to play him.

Expect a decent Spring Training and decent stats in April and May. How many at-bats he's given in April and May will determine whether or not he is allowed to bloom fully.

kfm
01-28-2009, 09:35 PM
I don't know what Dickerson is going to do this year, but I know both Dickerson and his coaches say that a light went off for him last year. I can't find the article but he said that he stopped trying to pull everything and that he finally started to trust his hands and know that he could hit the ball with authority the other way. He did not just have a good month in the majors (which is much easier to just dismiss) he had an incredible three months in the minors followed by an outstanding major league performance by a rookie. Maybe it was a four month fluke, or maybe the light did go on and he is on his way to being a very good major league outfielder. My point is this, it is just too simplistic to say look at his career minor league numbers and just accept that his mlb season was a fluke. You have to put into context and look at the changing batting style and mindsight that was followed by four straight months of outstanding produciton. Check out the article below, seems like Dickerson is on the rise, rather than a guy who had a lucky month.

DICKERSON, HANIGAN & ROSALES GET THE CALL: The Reds recalled OF Chris Dickerson yesterday to replace Adam Dunn who was traded to
Arizona on Monday. Dickerson made his ML debut Tuesday night vs. Pittsburgh and walked in his first at-bat; on the night he was 1-4 with a double, stolen base, run scored and walk. After batting a combined .238 in April and May, Dickerson warmed up with the summer, raising his average from .238 on May 31 to its current mark of .287. With Louisville, Dickerson has hit a combined .322 (65-202) during the months of June, July and August and is two RBI shy of matching his season-high of 55 RBI, set last season between Double-A Chattanooga (11) and Louisville (44). Dickersonís 11 homers are also three shy of his season-high of 14 home runs in a season, set in 2007 (Chattanooga - 1, Louisville - 13). He has also reached base at home in 30 straight games, which is the longest home streak this season in the IL and by a Bats player (Andy Phillips - 27, Drew T. Anderson - 24). Yesterday
Dickerson was announced as Cincinnatiís Player of the Month for July (24 G, .330, 8 HR, 20 RBI, 7 SB).

Jerome
01-29-2009, 01:46 AM
I like Dickerson's patience at the plate. At every level, he's had at least a 100 point increase in OBP over BA. Many young hitters have trouble adjusting to the strike zone, but he seems to have that zen-like nature at the plate. Then again, he does whiff a lot. If he bats .270 with 25 home runs, he's won my heart.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com/search/label/Chris%20Dickerson

Kingspoint
01-29-2009, 10:19 PM
I don't know what Dickerson is going to do this year, but I know both Dickerson and his coaches say that a light went off for him last year. I can't find the article but he said that he stopped trying to pull everything and that he finally started to trust his hands and know that he could hit the ball with authority the other way. He did not just have a good month in the majors (which is much easier to just dismiss) he had an incredible three months in the minors followed by an outstanding major league performance by a rookie. Maybe it was a four month fluke, or maybe the light did go on and he is on his way to being a very good major league outfielder. My point is this, it is just too simplistic to say look at his career minor league numbers and just accept that his mlb season was a fluke. You have to put into context and look at the changing batting style and mindsight that was followed by four straight months of outstanding produciton. Check out the article below, seems like Dickerson is on the rise, rather than a guy who had a lucky month.

DICKERSON, HANIGAN & ROSALES GET THE CALL: The Reds recalled OF Chris Dickerson yesterday to replace Adam Dunn who was traded to
Arizona on Monday. Dickerson made his ML debut Tuesday night vs. Pittsburgh and walked in his first at-bat; on the night he was 1-4 with a double, stolen base, run scored and walk. After batting a combined .238 in April and May, Dickerson warmed up with the summer, raising his average from .238 on May 31 to its current mark of .287. With Louisville, Dickerson has hit a combined .322 (65-202) during the months of June, July and August and is two RBI shy of matching his season-high of 55 RBI, set last season between Double-A Chattanooga (11) and Louisville (44). Dickerson’s 11 homers are also three shy of his season-high of 14 home runs in a season, set in 2007 (Chattanooga - 1, Louisville - 13). He has also reached base at home in 30 straight games, which is the longest home streak this season in the IL and by a Bats player (Andy Phillips - 27, Drew T. Anderson - 24). Yesterday
Dickerson was announced as Cincinnati’s Player of the Month for July (24 G, .330, 8 HR, 20 RBI, 7 SB).

Nice to get some confirmation from someone else. It was very obvious to me at the time. I noticed it immediately after Bruce was called up that there was definitely something different about him. I'm with you and others that don't believe that his time from the last week of May on, was a fluke. It's unfortunate that people like Dusty Baker are too lazy to do enough homework to make sure they know what they're doing before they advocate to the General Manager that he wants a "proven" base-stealer to play Center Field.

The starting Center Fielder should be Dickerson, with Hairston in Left and Keppinger filling in at left and short and 3rd. At some point Votto's going to have to start playing some games in Left, also. Alonzo will be at GAB in Sep. I don't see where there's room for Taveras or Gomes or Luis Gonzalez.

Jockety is ignoring the change in Dickerson. There are also other AAA Outfielders from last year who might be capable of giving quality time in Left (and Center) throughout the year.

I hate the Gomes signing and any thought of bringing on Luis Gonzalez. The Tavares signing was stupid as they could have signed him for one year and they still would have held arbtration rights to him for the next season if he proved himself in 2009. I'd rather have Stubbs in 2010, anyway over everybody including Dickerson, who would be the Utility Outfielder behind Stubbs, Bruce, and Votto. Taveras just screws everything up. We also still have Owings if he flubs as a starter. I also like Sean Henry as a reserve in 2010, and Cumberland, too.

Kingspoint
01-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Nice to get some confirmation from someone else. It was very obvious to me at the time. I noticed it immediately after Bruce was called up that there was definitely something different about him. I'm with you and others that don't believe that his time from the last week of May on, was a fluke. It's unfortunate that people like Dusty Baker are too lazy to do enough homework to make sure they know what they're doing before they advocate to the General Manager that he wants a "proven" base-stealer to play Center Field.

The starting Center Fielder should be Dickerson, with Hairston in Left and Keppinger filling in at left and short and 3rd. At some point Votto's going to have to start playing some games in Left, also. Alonzo will be at GAB in Sep. I don't see where there's room for Taveras or Gomes or Luis Gonzalez.

Jockety is ignoring the change in Dickerson. There are also other AAA Outfielders from last year who might be capable of giving quality time in Left (and Center) throughout the year.

I hate the Gomes signing and any thought of bringing on Luis Gonzalez. The Tavares signing was stupid as they could have signed him for one year and they still would have held arbtration rights to him for the next season if he proved himself in 2009. I'd rather have Stubbs in 2010, anyway over everybody including Dickerson, who would be the Utility Outfielder behind Stubbs, Bruce, and Votto. Taveras just screws everything up. We also still have Owings if he flubs as a starter. I also like Sean Henry as a reserve in 2010, and Cumberland, too.

....and then there's Danny Dorn in 2010, too.