PDA

View Full Version : Pettitte signs with Yankees

redsmetz
01-26-2009, 07:45 PM
The New York Times is reporting that the Yankees have reached an agreement with Andy Pettitte on a one year deal for $5.5M, but it could go to $12M if he reaches certain incentives (not specified).

Emin3mShady07
01-26-2009, 07:53 PM
pettitte had pretty good peripherals last year with a K/9 rate of 6.9 and a BB/9 of only 2.4 and his HR/F was almost right in line with league average at 10.7%. He also had a ground ball rate over 50% and an xFIP of 3.79. Good signing for the Yanks.

The rich get richer (sigh)

Big Klu
01-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Big surprise.

RedEye
01-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Sabathia. Burnett. Teixeira.

Pettitte.

I thought this was the type of player the Reds were supposed to be able to afford!

Oh yeah. I forgot the team has already reached its max budget. Even though sponsors have gone up.

It's fun messing with new types of spacing in my posts; at least more fun than discussing this team right now.

ARRRRRgh.

Joseph
01-26-2009, 08:32 PM

Pettitte.

I thought this was the type of player the Reds were supposed to be able to afford!

Oh yeah. I forgot the team has already reached its max budget. Even though sponsors have gone up.

It's fun messing with new types of spacing in my posts; at least more fun than discussing this team right now.

ARRRRRgh.

And the pirate talk is always good too. Not to be confused with Pirates talk....

RedEye
01-26-2009, 08:47 PM
And the pirate talk is always good too. Not to be confused with Pirates talk....

Andy Van Slyke!

Jay Bell!

Jason Kendall!

Paul Maholm!

ARRRRrrrrrrrrgh

redsmetz
01-26-2009, 09:09 PM

Pettitte.

Do you realisitically think that we'd be in the hunt for Teixeira or Sabathia? I think Pettitte's contract is one we could have afforded, even if all the incentives are made, but then it's a matter of convincing an Andy Pettitte that the Reds are a team to go with. We would most likely have had to guarantee the $12M as opposed to how it's structured for the Yankees, don't you think?

BCubb2003
01-26-2009, 09:10 PM

We ARRRRR family ...

RedEye
01-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Do you realisitically think that we'd be in the hunt for Teixeira or Sabathia? I think Pettitte's contract is one we could have afforded, even if all the incentives are made, but then it's a matter of convincing an Andy Pettitte that the Reds are a team to go with. We would most likely have had to guarantee the $12M as opposed to how it's structured for the Yankees, don't you think?

Sorry. My apathy has made me incoherent. Either that or the experimentation with spacing made me forget what I'd just written. Probably both.

Anyway, what I meant to say was that Pettitte is the type of player the Reds could be in the hunt for. Not necessarily Pettitte himself, but you know, the decent-starting-pithers-with-good-peripherals-for-relatively-cheap-prices types of guys.

Instead, we get Ramon Hernandez, Willy Taveras, Jonny Gomes and a promise that the owner thinks the team is competitive... but that he never said the team would "win now." Oh, and any quote resembling that was taken out of context by the crazy media.

remdog
01-26-2009, 10:34 PM
Pettitte was never in the mix for the Reds.

He's quoted as saying, "... I wanted to play for the New York Yankees and, you know, that was the bottom line. I wanted to be there. I wanted to play in that new stadium."

Bottom line is that Pettitte is set financially and is only going to play where he wants to play----Cincinnati isn't one of those places.

I'm OK with Hernandez as a start. After that the Reds went 'bottom-fishing' and the owner went belly-up on his earlier statements and this looks like a really crappy season coming up. And, I say that fully knowing that the Reds may very well have their best starting staff in 20-25 years.

Rem