PDA

View Full Version : Where Have All the LH Hitters Gone?

Sea Ray
01-27-2009, 12:34 PM
LH hitting used to be a strength for this team and now we look to be thin in this area. The way I see it, we've only got three LH hitters who are pretty likely to be on the team in 2009. Perhaps Richar and/or Castillo will make the team but that still leaves us pretty thin. It makes it kinda difficult to balance a lineup against a tough RHP like Carlos Zambrano and it makes it impossible to find good matchups vs RH closers when you scan the bench for PHs.

The rotation is also lacking balance with all its RHs. Talent aside, this team needs some roster tweaks just to achieve some balance.

hebroncougar
01-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Sorry, we're at budget. Maybe some of our guys should give hitting LH a shot.

membengal
01-27-2009, 02:04 PM
In some measure, they have been run out of town. Ironic thread, coming from you, Sea Ray.

Johnny Footstool
01-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Wait, I thought the Reds were *too* left-handed, and needed a big RH bat to balance the lineup.

Sea Ray
01-27-2009, 02:29 PM
In some measure, they have been run out of town. Ironic thread, coming from you, Sea Ray.

Hamilton, Dunn and Griffey have been "run out of town" for different reasons...maybe they were right or wrong but it is what it is as of right now.

TRF
01-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Say hello to Danny Dorn.

Dorn has some drastic splits, but what he does to right handed pitchers cannot be overlooked. I expect him to start at AAA this year and am hoping he forces the Reds hand quickly.

BRM
01-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Say hello to Danny Dorn.

Dorn has some drastic splits, but what he does to right handed pitchers cannot be overlooked. I expect him to start at AAA this year and am hoping he forces the Reds hand quickly.

If he does, he'll probably replace Dickerson in LF. I know you want to see Dorn/Gomes in LF and Dickerson in CF but that just ain't happening unless Willy Taveras is hitting .205 in late June.

TRF
01-27-2009, 02:42 PM
If he does, he'll probably replace Dickerson in LF. I know you want to see Dorn/Gomes in LF and Dickerson in CF but that just ain't happening unless Willy Taveras is hitting .205 in late June.

Yeah, that'd be ideal, and a Dorn/Gomes platoon could replace Dunn's production.

I sadly, can't see Taveras hitting .205. I can see him OBP'ing .305 though, and frankly that oughta be enough.

BRM
01-27-2009, 02:45 PM
I sadly, can't see Taveras hitting .205. I can see him OBP'ing .305 though, and frankly that oughta be enough.

I agree with you but it probably won't be enough. If he hits .250 or better, he's in the lineup to stay. Regardless of the OBP.

Emin3mShady07
01-27-2009, 03:00 PM
I agree with you but it probably won't be enough. If he hits .250 or better, he's in the lineup to stay. Regardless of the OBP.

My sig agrees with you...unfortunately for the reds.

Mario-Rijo
01-27-2009, 03:00 PM

Yeah a Dorn/Gomes and Dickerson/Hairston OF would be much more ideal. Maybe we can get a Kerrigan/Gillooly platoon to intervene. :D

dougdirt
01-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Say hello to Danny Dorn.

Doubtful. The guy killed AA and couldn't get an invite to ST. My guess is he isn't in the Reds plans at all for 2009 unless multiple injuries occur. Its a sad state.

BRM
01-27-2009, 03:17 PM
My sig agrees with you...unfortunately for the reds.

If WT could do all those things in your sig, he'd be quite an asset. Unfortunately, your sig is detached from reality. The guy has never come close to 30 doubles or double-digits in triples.

membengal
01-27-2009, 03:25 PM
BRM: You do know that it was Dusty who said those things in Emin's sig, right? So, yeah Detached from reality.

TRF
01-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Nix gets an invite. Dorn doesn't. pheh.

IMO he doesn't need to be in their plans. He's certainly bound for AAA, so all he has to do is hit. Of course it took til August for them to call Dickerson...

BRM
01-27-2009, 03:27 PM
BRM: You do know that it was Dusty who said those things in Emin's sig, right? So, yeah Detached from reality.

Seriously? No I did not know that. That's downright pathetic.

BRM
01-27-2009, 03:28 PM

IMO he doesn't need to be in their plans. He's certainly bound for AAA, so all he has to do is hit. Of course it took til August for them to call Dickerson...

I think doug is right. Dorn's only shot is if multiple injuries happen.

dougdirt
01-27-2009, 03:29 PM

The difference is, the Reds liked Dickerson and what he brought to the table, even before he blew up last season in AAA. They don't feel the same way about Dorn because he isn't as toolsy and his defense isn't on par with that of Dickerson.

Dorn is fighting an uphill battle in this organization right now.

BRM
01-27-2009, 03:31 PM
The difference is, the Reds liked Dickerson and what he brought to the table, even before he blew up last season in AAA. They don't feel the same way about Dorn because he isn't as toolsy and his defense isn't on par with that of Dickerson.

Dorn is fighting an uphill battle in this organization right now.

Is it even a sure thing that he's ticketed for AAA?

TRF
01-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Is it even a sure thing that he's ticketed for AAA?

nothing to prove at AA and is anyone really blocking him at AAA?

BRM
01-27-2009, 03:35 PM
nothing to prove at AA and is anyone really blocking him at AAA?

Are Cumberland and Henry expected to be in Louisville to start the year? Besides them, Nix (if he doesn't make the big club) and Stubbs should be there.

ochre
01-27-2009, 03:44 PM
I heard he (Dusty) was flying through http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/14400000/14402286.JPG, but keeps thinking Σ means Average.

TRF
01-27-2009, 03:45 PM
I thought Henry was being considered for an infield position... 2B? Cumberland I'm not impressed with. Not getting into Stubbs, and Nix is filler.

I really wish Dorn was getting a look in ST.

BRM
01-27-2009, 03:49 PM
I thought Henry was being considered for an infield position... 2B? Cumberland I'm not impressed with. Not getting into Stubbs, and Nix is filler.

I really wish Dorn was getting a look in ST.

I don't disagree with any of that. It just seems that the Reds aren't real high on Dorn so it wouldn't surprise me if the Louisville OF was Cumberland, Stubbs, Nix/Griffin.

Sea Ray
01-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Say hello to Danny Dorn.

I think this presents a great opportunity for LH hitting prospects

pahster
01-27-2009, 07:46 PM
I heard he (Dusty) was flying through http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/14400000/14402286.JPG, but keeps thinking Σ means Average.

+1 for you, sir.