PDA

View Full Version : Blast/Past

princeton
01-28-2009, 04:22 AM
News Item:

Roberto Petagine, the 1998 International League MVP, has been inducted into the league's Hall of Fame. In four IL seasons, he batted .323 with 343 RBIs.

will they never give Petagine a chance? SHOW BOWDEN THE DOOR

wheels
01-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Who was the big Roberto Petegine fan from a few years ago?

He was always saying things like "Eat a Peach", and "Build a Bridge and Get Over It...".

On a snow day, those threads would make for some fun reading.

wheels
01-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Oh Yeah!

NEILYNG!

Here's the thread:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18373&highlight=roberto+petagine

princeton
01-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Who was the big Roberto Petegine fan from a few years ago?.

Drew Nelson: BOWDEN MUST GO

Falls City Beer
01-28-2009, 08:57 AM
That NEILYNG dude was quality. Double, triple, quadruple consecutive postings are always a good sign in a poster.

wheels
01-28-2009, 09:08 AM
That NEILYNG dude was quality. Double, triple, quadruple consecutive postings are always a good sign in a poster.

I swear he was the drunkest poster ever.

He ruled.

Chip R
01-28-2009, 10:05 AM
I swear he was the drunkest poster ever.

He ruled.

I got a PM from him once whining about him being picked on. :lol:

Ltlabner
01-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Oh Yeah!

NEILYNG!

Here's the thread:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18373&highlight=roberto+petagine

We simply must bring that guy back.

I get tired going round and round with the same posters. At least this guy is creative.

westofyou
01-28-2009, 10:40 AM
This board needs a round table discussion led by Richard Hand, Drew Nelson, NEIL and BF.

That would be a gas.

Ltlabner
01-28-2009, 10:44 AM
This board needs a round table discussion led by Richard Hand, Drew Nelson, NEIL and BF.

That would be a gas.

I'd actually be willing to give a $25 donation to RZ to see that thread unfold.

We could arrange it where the first 10 pages are just those 4 guys expounding on all the ills of the current Reds team, and then slowly introduce in current ORG posters.

Wow. Now I'm actually excited about the Reds. Or at least Redszone.

D-Man
01-28-2009, 10:46 AM

That would be a gas.

It would be even better if Mike de la Hoz added the color commentary (and threw a few obscure references in there).

nate
01-28-2009, 11:09 AM
I think redsupport should moderate.

Cyclone792
01-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Oh Yeah!

NEILYNG!

Here's the thread:

I remember that dude on a different forum all the way back in 1998. Boy did he hate Sean Casey too ... and this was back when Casey was young, cheap, and very productive.

wheels
01-28-2009, 11:24 AM
I got a PM from him once whining about him being picked on. :lol:

You were really winding him up. It was CLASSIC.

RFS62
01-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Man, I'm about half way through that thread. It was AWESOME.

Chip at his evil best.

:evil:

RichRed
01-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Looks like this site swung back in '03. Sorry I wasn't around then; that thread was great.

westofyou
01-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Looks like this site swung back in '03. Sorry I wasn't around then; that thread was great.

Some of us fools have been jousting together now for 12 years, that thread was 5 years ago and seems like yesterday.

TRF
01-28-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm so bored at work today, I read the whole thing.

Now i'm even more bored.

BoydsOfSummer
01-28-2009, 01:08 PM
That guy had 429 total posts. It appears half were made in that thread.

*BaseClogger*
01-28-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm so bored at work today, I read the whole thing.

Now i'm even more bored.

I was in the same boat yesterday in class, so I read this thread in the archives:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11888&highlight=moneyball

KronoRed
01-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Roberto Petagine in left field.

Buwahahaha.

Raisor
01-28-2009, 04:41 PM
I think we should have a daily review of a past thread until the season starts.

Mostly they should be threads that make me look good instead of threads where I write something stupid.

BRM
01-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Mostly they should be threads that make me look good instead of threads where I write something stupid.

Those could be difficult to find. :cool:

TRF
01-28-2009, 05:10 PM
I think we should have a daily review of a past thread until the season starts.

well, that quashes that idea. :)

Chip R
01-28-2009, 05:14 PM
NEIL was quite the guy. If the infraction system was around then, he'd have been banned in about 30 posts.

Steel really did a number on him. The Steel and NEIL show could get quite entertaining.

Raisor
01-28-2009, 05:28 PM
I was in the same boat yesterday in class, so I read this thread in the archives:

Man there were some nasty replies in that one.

You know what, it's six years later and we're still debating the value of Run Dif with some of the same people.

camisadelgolf
01-28-2009, 05:43 PM
I have a confession to make. Back in the 90s, during my early teens, I posted on RedsZone and trolled like crazy and was eventually banned. I didn't realize that this was the same RedsZone until somewhat recently. I've matured a lot since then (which says pretty much nothing). I forget what my username was, but I believe it was 'Uranus22' or something like that.

Raisor
01-28-2009, 05:49 PM
I have a confession to make. Back in the 90s, during my early teens, I posted on RedsZone and trolled like crazy and was eventually banned. I didn't realize that this was the same RedsZone until somewhat recently. I've matured a lot since then (which says pretty much nothing). I forget what my username was, but I believe it was 'Uranus22' or something like that.

RZ didn't start until 00 or 01.

BRM
01-28-2009, 05:57 PM

That thread is priceless. Raisor wasn't as snarky as I expected but it was still a good read.

UKFlounder
01-28-2009, 05:58 PM
So I click on the link to see what the fun is about, and I find that he's still on my ignore list. I think he and some other poster with "john" on his name are the only two I ever ignored.

westofyou
01-28-2009, 06:00 PM

In the nineties it was Fastball and a host of others, Cox Media thought they were a player for about 2 years.

camisadelgolf
01-28-2009, 06:03 PM
RZ didn't start until 00 or 01.

Okay, that's possible. I just remember that Brandon Larson was still in the organization.

princeton
01-28-2009, 06:31 PM
it's six years later and we're still debating the value of Run Dif with some of the same people.

it's not at all tiresome to the rest of us :rolleyes:

Raisor
01-28-2009, 06:38 PM
it's not at all tiresome to the rest of us :rolleyes:

well, what do you want to discuss?

Redsfaithful
01-29-2009, 04:48 AM
I still get hate mail for banning NEILYNG from Red Reporter and I don't even run the site anymore. Good times.

*BaseClogger*
01-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Here's another blast from the past for today:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67315&highlight=keppinger

Sea Ray
01-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Ahhh, Neilyng. He was my favorite whipping boy on another Reds' site before I joined RZ. He'd left RZ before I came here but IIRC he left with a heavy negative rep number.

He had real unique skills such as plagiarism. I'd catch him in one of those and he wouldn't even apologize.

He hated Jim Bowden in a pathologic way. After leaving the Petegine bandwagon he started the Paul Konerko fanclub.

In the other Reds forum he was famous for crying to the monitors like a schoolgirl. I don't know if he did that here or not but it's interesting that his reputation spread to many forums. One of the more irritating internet personalities I've ever run across.

gm
01-29-2009, 05:43 PM
He had real unique skills such as plagiarism. I'd catch him in one of those and he wouldn't even apologize.

Yeah, me too. Whenever I wrote a rant on JimBo on one website I'd see the same message word-for-word on another, with Neil's byline, of course

fastball.com, that was "back in the day"

cincrazy
01-31-2009, 12:23 AM
NEIL was quite the guy. If the infraction system was around then, he'd have been banned in about 30 posts.

Steel really did a number on him. The Steel and NEIL show could get quite entertaining.

Man, that guy was a piece of work. He also used to post on the AOL message board forum, I was only like 16 or 17 at the time, but I had battle after battle with that guy, and at one point he threatened me and said he was going to call the police because I called him an idiot.

I miss that guy, bring him back :)

Spitball
01-31-2009, 09:36 AM
Some of us fools have been jousting together now for 12 years, that thread was 5 years ago and seems like yesterday.

I have great memories of Nux's Nutholia back on the old cincy.com board. The guy was insane, creative, and great entertainment. Sometime after the 1999 season, I remember him going on a great binge of crazy postings. He argued, flamed, and generally highjacked every thread for days. Suddenly, he was posting this thread apologizing to everyone and claiming he had been off his medications for several days and essentially had been living on a bourbon diet for the previous 72 hours. He had several of us posting sympathy and forgiveness. It was part of his style though because he soon was posting the same mean spirited, though creative and humorous, attacks. I remember he would use an "h" instead of a "p" in my poster name.

Once, he posted a link to an ESPN story. I forget the subject of the story but it was interesting until the last paragraph where it quoted Redstorm, Spitball, and a couple of other posters. He had done a pretty good job of faking the link.

He was also bad about diguising himself. I remember him stealing a few poster names by changing a lower case letter to a capital. It was always a subtle change like changing Phil-in-bg to Phil-in-BG. You'd notice Nux's unique style before the change in the name.

Also, we had Cameron Fan who was a major pain though fairly knowledgable about baseball. He was also unique and entertaining. Then there was Manny who was banned and came back as Manny's Momma. He was an obnoxious Cleveland fan, but he was also very funny.

We had one family computer back in those days, but I'd spend way too much time on the board. I remember one of my kids begging to use the computer, and I'd be in the middle of a spirited response to Nux or Manny. I'd be telling her to wait just a minute knowing full well I was just getting a full head of steam going. Geesh, talk about a wasted youth...I basically had a wasted middle age as I spent too much time posting responses to baseball forum trolls. I kind of miss those guys. ;)

Ravenlord
02-01-2009, 02:07 PM
i miss Neil. he was at very least wildly entertaining in his stupidity, amazingly some of his rants led to some actual high quality discussion.