PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think will start the year as our 5th starter?

thatcoolguy_22
01-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Who do you think will start the year as our 5th starter? I see all of these guys getting starts as injuries begin to happen but, who will get the lion's share of starts this year?

GoReds33
01-28-2009, 10:06 AM
I see the fifth starter being Micah Owings. I hate to say it, but him being the centerpiece of the trade involving Dunn automatically means that he will be given every oppertunity to prove himself. He is a good pitcher, with a good fastball, and some good off-speed pitches.

Now if the question was "Who Should Start the Year as the Fifth Starter?" Then I would go with Daryll Thompson. He has an electric fastball, and two nasty off-speed pitches. His change is already MLB quality, and his curve is very good.

thatcoolguy_22
01-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Now if the question was "Who Should Start the Year as the Fifth Starter?" Then I would go with Daryll Thompson. He has an electric fastball, and two nasty off-speed pitches. His change is already MLB quality, and his curve is very good.

Everyone feel free to answer the question in this fashion if they like. Throw in a part 2 to your thread submission and say who you think would perform at the highest level as a SP in the 5th spot.

I would like to see Homer Bailey earn the role.

elfmanvt07
01-28-2009, 10:12 AM
I put in Ramon, although I think it's a tossup between he and Owings. I got to see Ramon pitch this past year, and I was impressed with the potential.

CRedsLarkin11
01-28-2009, 10:38 AM
I think it's Owings to lose. What a problem to have though, both Ramirez and Thompson are looming.

Biff Pocoroba
01-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Phil Hughes

Casey
01-28-2009, 05:34 PM
I think Owens has to be the favorite going in if he's healthy.

Orodle
01-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Who do I think or who do I want? I want Owings as the 5th starter but have a feeling it will be Bailey.

Chris Sabowned
01-28-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm guessing it will be Owings, but I'm still holding out that there's a chance that Homer comes out this spring and is lights out down in Florida. I'm still not ready to write him off completely.

flash
01-28-2009, 08:14 PM
I still think something might happen with the Giants in Spring training. Depends on what Lowry, EE, Franciso, Alonso and and the pitchers mentioned in the poll. So I will say Lowry or Sanchez. How about that for a answer

Ghosts of 1990
01-28-2009, 11:29 PM
people are all over bailey.

Do you guys realize how bad Micah Owings was last year? He's going to be horrid in our ballpark.

mikemo14
01-29-2009, 12:26 AM
How about taking a minor league deal with Mulder for another arm in the 5th starter mix.

Roush's socks
01-29-2009, 01:20 AM
Owings will have the job but if he blows it they have 3 other guys-Thompson, ramirez, and Bailey. So hopefully one of these guys is good.

Brucey
01-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Starting out of the gate I think it will be Owings. but I think it will be a tight race between him, Bailey, and Ramirez with Ramirez getting the final nod.

gedred69
01-30-2009, 11:50 PM
Thompson has the best stuff, but has consistently shown to be fragile. It's Owings to lose it, or Homer/Ramirez to win it.

Captain Hook
01-31-2009, 03:46 AM
Owings will get it imo.He would also be able to pinch hit on his days off making him much more valuable as a starter then reliever.

fitz1
01-31-2009, 08:03 AM
I agree that it is Owings to lose. I really like what I saw of Ramon Ramerez in September. In 21 innings he had a 1-1 record with a 2.67 ERA and a 2-1 K/W ratio. Owens has a two-year 16-17 record with an ERA of 4.97. It concerns me that the BA against him is .319. I'd love for Homer to finally get his act together and emerge as the star he was projected to be. It is going to be an interesting spring.

stock
01-31-2009, 06:42 PM
I agree Owens is the default. However I would love to see someone go out and take it. I think Bailey has the best opportunity to do so. If Bailey and Owens are both impressive this spring Bailey starts and Owens goes to the pen.

Captain Hook
01-31-2009, 08:18 PM
I agree Owens is the default. However I would love to see someone go out and take it. I think Bailey has the best opportunity to do so. If Bailey and Owens are both impressive this spring Bailey starts and Owens goes to the pen.

Despite what I said about Owens being more valuable as a starter then a reliever I agree with you.I think if Bailey could get his head on straight he could be a real difference maker this year.

brachial pleXUs
02-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Despite what I said about Owens being more valuable as a starter then a reliever I agree with you.I think if Bailey could get his head on straight he could be a real difference maker this year.
Me Three

akron3344
02-10-2009, 12:36 AM
too bad nobody looks at ramirez, keep up the ridiculous love for Bailey who barely deserves to be in double A

Chris Sabowned
02-10-2009, 02:08 AM
too bad nobody looks at ramirez, keep up the ridiculous love for Bailey who barely deserves to be in double A

Thats because Homer Bailey is a former first round pick, high school baseball player of the year, and has a fastball that has gone as fast as 97 mph.

I don't think people are ready to give up on Homer yet. Give him one more chance in spring training to see if he can finally put some things together.

I mean have you seen Edison Volquez's major league number before last year?

Griffey012
02-10-2009, 02:45 AM
I see the fifth starter being Micah Owings. I hate to say it, but him being the centerpiece of the trade involving Dunn automatically means that he will be given every oppertunity to prove himself. He is a good pitcher, with a good fastball, and some good off-speed pitches.

I would say whoever wins the job in spring training. Obviously we have won the Dunn deal simply by the fact he still has not signed with anyone, getting 3 players who may have some value will be better than what the D-Backs look to be having in return for Dunn after not offering Arb. Which we probably would not have done either.

CySeymour
02-10-2009, 09:56 AM
I think Homer has to come into the spring with a lot of fire and win the spot. It's basically now or never for him with the Reds. My guess is Dusty has Owings or Ramirez in mind right now.

Old NDN
02-10-2009, 10:05 AM
I don't think Homer has the passion for the game to ever put it together. I hope I'm wrong, though. I'll go with Owings.

CySeymour
02-10-2009, 10:57 AM
I don't think Homer has the passion for the game to ever put it together. I hope I'm wrong, though. I'll go with Owings.

I'm leaning towards this opinion, too. Maybe he needs the same wakeup call that Volquez got from the Rangers a couple of years ago. Or at the worst, a Greg Vaughn type intervention.

xavr1
02-10-2009, 11:04 AM
I think it will be Owings or Bailey, depending on the latter's performance in ST. But regardless who it is, I am looking for the fifth spot to be much more dependable than the automatic loss it was last year. No, I dont think it will be a solid starter throwing there, but whoever it is has to be better than last year.

I'm also excited for Owings' pinch hitting contributions...

gedred69
02-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Somewhere on this site, an evaluation was posted from some physical guru on pitching mechanics. The guy shot so many holes in Homer's delivery there was no blood left. Essentially, he maintained Homer has lost the velocity of his FB because of pain. It hurts to throw like he used to because his form was/is, bad. The evaluation was way over my head technically, but it sounded believable. Yet, I saw him in Ft. Myers last Spring (while sitting right behind HP), Bosox fans kept asking me "does he really throw that hard"? Sox hitters were consistently way late on his FB. I never saw that from him again though..........So, I stay with it's Owings to lose.

NarrowStairs
02-14-2009, 06:03 PM
If it's that ugly Masset hound, who was in dirtball Chicago last year, I will murder Dusty Baker.

The guy is a 5.40 ERA and 5BB per 9IP waiting to happen.

I will break Nick Masset Hound's legs.

JBChance
02-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Put me in the "its Owings to lose" camp.

FWIW, he's been mentioned repeatedly by the FO as, at least, a main canidate for the job.

That being said, if he completely blows it in ST, then it's maybe either Thompson or Ramirez.

I have no real faith in Bailey. I think we've seen what he's got.

batsfan
02-14-2009, 06:25 PM
I recently talked to a reds employee, and he said that the 5th starter spot is wide, open, and that all the pitchers competing for the 5th spot will be given every opportunity to succeed. So don't write Owings in just yet. I saw both Bailey and Ramirez pitch multiple times this season, and ramirez has the ability to get out of situations and pitch under pressure without runs scoring (his last game at AAA before being called up is a prime example), something Bailey lacks (tell me about his one pitch shutout in the AAA playoffs, and I'll tell you that the bats scored 4 runs in the 1st, another in the 2nd and 9 , yes 9 more in 3rd. Not only is Ramirez much more ready then Bailey (his change-up is devastating to hitters), he is also the big game pitcher, while Bailey is an ace when you support him with 18 runs. But I will not vote on this pole because I have not seen Owings pitch, and Ramirez had a bad winter ball era and I have heard he is a "second-half pitcher".

JBChance
02-14-2009, 06:41 PM
I recently talked to a reds employee

Sweeeeeet. You can keep us informed. A little inside info never hurts :D

NarrowStairs
02-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Put me in the "its Owings to lose" camp.

FWIW, he's been mentioned repeatedly by the FO as, at least, a main canidate for the job.

That being said, if he completely blows it in ST, then it's maybe either Thompson or Ramirez.

I have no real faith in Bailey. I think we've seen what he's got.

He's 23 and just 2 years removed from throwing 97mph.

If it's true that he's healthy, then his problems are either mechanical or mental (or both). Both problems can be fixed.

NarrowStairs
02-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Daryl Thompson, if healthy, will win the spot.

$1 Hot Dog
02-21-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm pulling for Paul Wilson and Danny Graves to compete for it.

JBChance
02-22-2009, 12:08 AM
He's 23 and just 2 years removed from throwing 97mph.

If it's true that he's healthy, then his problems are either mechanical or mental (or both). Both problems can be fixed.

Or, they can derail a promising career. Some promising guys just don't ever put it together. IMO, he's in that group.

FWIW, I hope he proves me wrong. In fact, I'd be ecstatic.