PDA

View Full Version : Necessary moves

Benihana
01-29-2009, 02:17 PM
1. Rich Hill will be traded in the next two months. Take a flyer on him. He's a LHP with huge upside and some pretty good success in the big leagues. He's also 29 and inexpensive. He's out of options, and will be moved by Opening Day. With the Cubs losing Mark DeRosa, Ronny Cedeno, and Felix Pie, I'd guess they're looking for a utility guy with some speed. I'd offer Danny Richar for Rich Hill, and maybe throw in a prospect like a Shaun Cumberland or Sean Henry if they so require. With Hairston in the fold, I'd even offer Jeff Keppinger, but only if a bidding war ensued.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/01/wheres-rich-hil.html

2. Bobby Abreu is now willing to accept a one-year deal according to Buster Olney. I know BobC said the Reds are now at budget, but this is too necessary of an option to overlook. Trade David Weathers for a prospect if you need to clear some salary, but this team needs Abreu (especially on a one-year deal) in the worst way. If all goes to plan, Votto should be ready to move to LF for 2010 anyway.
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3865815&name=olney_buster

Homer Bailey
01-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Both of these moves make too much sense, which is probably why the Reds won't make them. I'm not going to get my hopes up.

BRM
01-29-2009, 03:00 PM
The Reds are looking at LH bench bats. No room for actual difference makers.

redsmetz
01-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Folks keep talking about trading Weathers, but I think he's covered by the rule that says a free agent signing with a club cannot be traded without the players permission prior to June 15th. Now I don't know if that applies to a guy who returns to his old club. And it's possible, given the opportunity to move to a contender, that Weathers might accept such a trade, if this rule applies.

*BaseClogger*
01-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Getting Rich Hill on the cheap would be a brilliant move that would appease both those who want high-upside performers and those who think the Reds must have a LH starting pitcher...

flyer85
01-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Rich Hill I like.

Abreu is not a difference maker for this team, they are too far from being competitive even with Abreu. In addition, we have heard so much about improving the defense ... according to UZR in 2008, Abreu was awful in RF.

RedEye
01-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Getting Rich Hill on the cheap would be a brilliant move that would appease both those who want high-upside performers and those who think the Reds must have a LH starting pitcher...

Has Hill's stock really fallen that far? I'd love to get him for Richar and Cumberland, but my sense of the value of competent (or even potentially competent) ML starting pitching tells me that the Cubs would (or at least should) want way more than two AAAA players for him.

I agree that Bobby Abreu should be a no-brainer. But he won't be.

*BaseClogger*
01-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Has Hill's stock really fallen that far? I'd love to get him for Richar and Cumberland, but my sense of the value of competent (or even potentially competent) ML starting pitching tells me that the Cubs would (or at least should) want way more than two AAAA players for him.

The only value he has to the Cubs is as a trade commodity. They gave up on him last year and they have no room in their rotation. His control was awful both in the majors and minors last year so he's definitely a project...

Emin3mShady07
01-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Rich Hill I like.

Abreu is not a difference maker for this team, they are too far from being competitive even with Abreu. In addition, we have heard so much about improving the defense ... according to UZR in 2008, Abreu was awful in RF.

Which is why I think Swisher is the better player to acquire, but I doubt the reds get either.

The only value he has to the Cubs is as a trade commodity. They gave up on him last year and they have no room in their rotation. His control was awful both in the majors and minors last year so he's definitely a project...

As it looks right now, the reds have some space for a project unless they make a major signing/trade in the next few weeks (highly unlikely)

BRM
01-29-2009, 03:23 PM

He'd be less awful in LF but your point is still a good one.

Besides, I keep reading the Reds are an 80-85 win team right now. If that's the case, Abreu would make sense on a short term deal.

flyer85
01-29-2009, 03:24 PM
The only value he has to the Cubs is as a trade commodity. They gave up on him last year and they have no room in their rotation. His control was awful both in the majors and minors last year so he's definitely a project...he ended up having a back problem, most likely tried to pitch through it without success. He is out of options and does not figure in the Cubs plans. He has a very high potential upside. This is exactly the type of player the Reds should be looking at acquiring.

Raisor
01-29-2009, 03:31 PM
he ended up having a back problem, most likely tried to pitch through it without success. He is out of options and does not figure in the Cubs plans. He has a very high potential upside. This is exactly the type of player the Reds should be looking at acquiring.

Yeppers.

Emin3mShady07
01-29-2009, 03:38 PM
He'd be less awful in LF but your point is still a good one.

Besides, I keep reading the Reds are an 80-85 win team right now. If that's the case, Abreu would make sense on a short term deal.

The reds might be a .500 team, but there are a lot of ifs involved. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not picking on Volquez here but his xFIP (4.02) was much higher than his actual ERA - 3.21 - so he may not be nearly as good next year. Ideally the return of Harang to form and better performances from Arroyo and Cueto will more than offset that, but I don't expect those 4 to be much more than 20 runs better (which is quite good, but won't get the reds to the playoffs).

Plus, the reds were -96 runs last year, and I forget Raisor's exact calculations but roughly 32 runs from the offense and 20 from the pitching is hardly going to cover that. Well, what about D? I think I found the reds to be roughly 2 wins or a little more better than last year, so now the reds are only -20 runs.

Yes we hope that the 5th starter doesn't eat poo all year long but that is hardly a guarantee, so lets say there is a 20 run upgrade there too for optimisms sake. There, that's the break even point. Great 81 wins, but still not a chance at the playoffs with out some mad crazy luck. I don't see Abreu as much more than a 15 run upgrade so with him there's 83 wins. Still not a contender.

RedsManRick
01-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Folks keep talking about trading Weathers, but I think he's covered by the rule that says a free agent signing with a club cannot be traded without the players permission prior to June 15th. Now I don't know if that applies to a guy who returns to his old club. And it's possible, given the opportunity to move to a contender, that Weathers might accept such a trade, if this rule applies.

Weathers was never a free agent. He accepted arbitration.

redsmetz
01-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Weathers was never a free agent. He accepted arbitration.

Weathers was completely a free agent. In fact, he was a Type B free agent and the club offered arbitration to receive compensation if he signed elsewhere. Instead, he accepted arbitration (as our free agent). But that doesn't negate the fact that he was a free agent and therefore governed by the rules in the CBA.

BTW, I pulled up the CBA and I think the language is such that the June 15th date would apply.

Roy Tucker
01-29-2009, 04:10 PM
The Reds are looking at LH bench bats. No room for actual difference makers.

Augh. I wish they could pony up the extra ~$10M difference (a guess) between Gonzalez and Abreu.

The Reds need to be acquiring some real difference-making talent, not just barely adequately filling a slot.

>windmill

Highlifeman21
01-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Rich Hill I like.

Abreu shouldn't play RF for the Reds, however with The Dusty passing out positions and batting order b/c of respect, Abreu would play RF and bat 3rd for the Reds (although him batting 3rd wouldn't be a bad thing).

edabbs44
01-29-2009, 11:28 PM
The Cubs are not trading Rich Hill within the division.

GADawg
01-29-2009, 11:49 PM
The Cubs are not trading Rich Hill within the division.

gotta agree with that....you want a left handed project? Might as well give the 'ole invite to Mark Mulder and if his arm falls off before spring training ends then it didn't cost you anything. Personally I'd at least low ball with Ben Sheets and his "peeps" and see if he bites in a moment of weakness....again if his arm falls off, well we all expect it to anyway.

nate
01-29-2009, 11:55 PM
MLBTR (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/01/os-cubs-talking.html) was reporting the O's as being in on Rich Hill.

Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are looking to acquire Cubs lefty Rich Hill. Hill is out of options, limiting his value. Zrebiec notes that Hill could benefit from a reunion with Rick Kranitz, his former Triple A pitching coach.

An industry source told Zrebiec that it's a "strong possibility" that Hill will end up with the Orioles. Apparently the Cubs would receive a player to be named later in return, the value of whom would hinge on Hill's success in Baltimore. The Mariners have also shown interest, but the O's are believed to be in the lead at this point. Hill, 28, walked 18 in 19.2 innings last year before his demotion to the minors. He had a nice run for the Cubs in 2006-07.

VR
01-30-2009, 12:05 AM
Owings/ Bailey/ Ramirez/ Thompson competing for 5th spot.

5 years ago that would be our 1-4, and we'd be optimistic about it.

Mario-Rijo
01-30-2009, 01:47 AM

How very true!

WebScorpion
01-30-2009, 11:33 AM

Made me laugh! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/wiggle.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org) Thanks! :thumbup: