PDA

View Full Version : Ohio St. OL Boone arrested in California

RBA
02-02-2009, 08:17 PM
I didn't see this posted. Thought someone might be interested being Ohio State player involved.

Ohio St. OL Boone arrested in California

55 minutes ago
ALISO VIEJO, Calif. (AP) Ohio State offensive lineman Alex Boone has been arrested after being subdued with a Taser during an alleged drunken tirade.
Orange County sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino says the 6-foot-8, 312-pound tackle was jumping on car hoods, yanking on a tow truck cable and trying to break a window when he was arrested late Sunday.
Amormino says the 21-year-old, who appeared intoxicated, was combative and uncooperative with sheriff's deputies and had to be taken down with a Taser. He was taken to a hospital and then to a jail medical ward, where he remains.
Boone, who was selected All-Big Ten this year, could be selected in the NFL draft in April.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5geM4Sg5BmBTs6B-f2wbcvJE0_MvAD963O0V00

GAC
02-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Wow! They allowed tasers to be used in California? :D

RBA
02-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Wow! They allowed tasers to be used in California? :D

Only if they use them on people who work, live, or go to school in Ohio. :D

Ravenlord
02-02-2009, 08:52 PM
he just cost himself quite a bit of money.

WMR
02-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Don't taze me bro!

cincrazy
02-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Boone has always had an alcohol problem. I remember him saying he could down a 12 pack of beer pronto. It's sad, really. I was standing next to his dad before a game as the team filed into the stadium, and Alex came up and said hello to his family, kissed his parents and what not, seemed like a genuinely good guy. It's a shame that people can't control their demons.

Bip Roberts
02-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Another ohio state criminal

BuckeyeRedleg
02-02-2009, 10:16 PM

Another RedsZone troll.

Bip Roberts
02-02-2009, 10:20 PM
can you troll if its true?

Ravenlord
02-02-2009, 10:29 PM
can you troll if its true?

'cept it's not, to a point. if you're going to call a program criminal, it starts in the Sunshine State, as recent history shows.

Bip Roberts
02-02-2009, 10:33 PM
'cept it's not, to a point. if you're going to call a program criminal, it starts in the Sunshine State, as recent history shows.

I remember more OSU guys in recent years getting into trouble

Ravenlord
02-02-2009, 10:35 PM

when was the last time 3/4 of OSU's team got suspended for bowl game?

cincrazy
02-02-2009, 10:37 PM

That's a ridiculous statement. Instead of throwing crap against the wall trying to start arguments you should really consider the facts. Tressel runs a clean program. As clean as any other big time college coach anyways.

Bip Roberts
02-02-2009, 10:39 PM
I guess you have a good point there but still its not like OSU has a flawless past when it comes to idiots getting into trouble.

cincrazy
02-02-2009, 10:41 PM
I guess you have a good point there but still its not like OSU has a flawless past when it comes to idiots getting into trouble.

Hey I don't disagree. The Super Bowl MVP last night had his share of legal trouble. I'm not turning a blind eye to any of it, but it's certainly not a criminal program. Sorry, I just get a little defensive about my school, no hard feelings :)

Bip Roberts
02-02-2009, 10:43 PM
That's a ridiculous statement. Instead of throwing crap against the wall trying to start arguments you should really consider the facts. Tressel runs a clean program. As clean as any other big time college coach anyways.

Its not rediulous. Santonio holmes, clarret, this guy, and a pretty long list of other guys that i cant even name off the top of my head. Face it OSU doesnt have a great tract record right now.

Bip Roberts
02-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Hey I don't disagree. The Super Bowl MVP last night had his share of legal trouble. I'm not turning a blind eye to any of it, but it's certainly not a criminal program. Sorry, I just get a little defensive about my school, no hard feelings :)
I didnt call it a criminal program. I just said another ohio state criminal. I think Tressel runs a clear program its just hes had a bad run with character issue guys over the last few years.

cincrazy
02-02-2009, 10:45 PM
I didnt call it a criminal program. I just said another ohio state criminal. I think Tressel runs a clear program its just hes had a bad run with character issue guys over the last few years.

I don't really think that's the case though. Malcom Jenkins, James Laurinaitis, Brian Robiskie... can't get much more high character than that.

Bip Roberts
02-02-2009, 10:52 PM
I don't really think that's the case though. Malcom Jenkins, James Laurinaitis, Brian Robiskie... can't get much more high character than that.

plenty of guys are high character my point is its just another guy on the list that seems to be piling up over recent years.

*BaseClogger*
02-02-2009, 10:57 PM

That's because of the biased media coverage on ESPN...

RedFanAlways1966
02-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Boone? Has anyone hear ever known a college-age person (non-athlete) that was arrested for being drunk or doing something stupid while drunk? I have. It happens. 18 to 23 year "kids" do dumb things sometimes.

I'd venture to guess that at least one OSU student is arrested every weekend. Does that mean the whole school has a problem? How about other schools? Think Ivy League schools don't have arrests due to disorderly and/or drunken behavior?

I invite those throwing accusations to give me the number of guys that have been signed to play for OSU while Tressel has been there. Now give the number of players arrested. Is the percentage loads higher than other D-I football programs or loads higher than % of arrests for all college students. That is the kind of proof that I need to see to convince me. Give me facts, not "long lists", "bad track record", etc.

Bip Roberts
02-02-2009, 11:10 PM
That's because of the biased media coverage on ESPN...

I dont watch much ESPN football coverage :o

Bip Roberts
02-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Id like to find a % but i bet taht info is really hard to find just searching on the internet.

Bip Roberts
02-02-2009, 11:12 PM
but yea since I cant prove it with stone cold fact its obviously just made up on my end. sorry haha

RedFanAlways1966
02-02-2009, 11:18 PM
but yea since I cant prove it with stone cold fact its obviously just made up on my end. sorry haha

You are throwing out a lot of comments, but cannot even give names. I'll give ya one... Nathan Williams (freshman) arrested for shoplifting a few weeks before this years bowl game.

Here we go... Maurice Clarett. Clarett and Boone. There are the bookends. Fill it in. There are so many (long list), shouldn't be too hard (haha). :thumbup:

Bip Roberts
02-02-2009, 11:27 PM
You are throwing out a lot of comments, but cannot even give names. I'll give ya one... Nathan Williams (freshman) arrested for shoplifting a few weeks before this years bowl game.

Here we go... Maurice Clarett. Clarett and Boone. There are the bookends. Fill it in. There are so many (long list), shouldn't be too hard (haha). :thumbup:

I can give names but you were asking for % of people from every division 1 school.

Heres just what I could find on google by searching "List of ohio state football players to get arrested"

Obviously there isnt a list but it only took me 2 pages to come up with those 4 names.

Antonio Henton

T.J. Downing

Louis Irizarry

Ira Guilford

Bip Roberts
02-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Doug Worthington just another name to the list

and Eugene Clifford

paintmered
02-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Boone? Has anyone hear ever known a college-age person (non-athlete) that was arrested for being drunk or doing something stupid while drunk? I have. It happens. 18 to 23 year "kids" do dumb things sometimes.

I'd venture to guess that at least one OSU student is arrested every weekend. Does that mean the whole school has a problem? How about other schools? Think Ivy League schools don't have arrests due to disorderly and/or drunken behavior?

I invite those throwing accusations to give me the number of guys that have been signed to play for OSU while Tressel has been there. Now give the number of players arrested. Is the percentage loads higher than other D-I football programs or loads higher than % of arrests for all college students. That is the kind of proof that I need to see to convince me. Give me facts, not "long lists", "bad track record", etc.

Just ask a UC fan about the actions of a few becoming the image of an entire program. It doesn't take much reality to create a perception.

camisadelgolf
02-02-2009, 11:41 PM

I'm not even sure you could find a Mormon school in a dry county without criminals in it.

Bip Roberts
02-03-2009, 10:15 AM
I shouldnt even have brought it up I guess.

Ohio state is the classiest school in history of sports and obviously their recent track record is just over exposure and jealously on the part of everyone.

SeeinRed
02-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Just ask a UC fan about the actions of a few becoming the image of an entire program. It doesn't take much reality to create a perception.

As a UC fan, reading this has been kind of funny... I know at least a couple OSU fans that have said some similar things about UC. The best Part was the one about ESPN's biased coverage LOL. I hear mostly good things about OSU on ESPN. I think BC was just poking fun, but I'm not sure. I despise OSU, but saying they are a bunch of criminals is a little outlandish to me.

This isn't a big deal to me. If he was caught with drugs then its a different story. It happens in every program. A kid gets drunk, does something stupid. Can't say I haven't seen that scenario before. Sure, he should be more careful since he is in the public's eye, but he is young. He'll get his punishment, probably lose some money over it, and hopefully come out of this a better person. Thats the important part.

redsbuckeye
02-03-2009, 04:03 PM

Hello confirmation bias.

cincrazy
02-03-2009, 05:47 PM
I shouldnt even have brought it up I guess.

Ohio state is the classiest school in history of sports and obviously their recent track record is just over exposure and jealously on the part of everyone.

Thank you. You must feel much better after getting that off your chest :thumbup:

Caseyfan21
02-04-2009, 06:49 PM

Alex Boone has a major drinking problem, plain and simple, beyond the scope of a normal college student. He was arrested previously for an underage DUI in April 2006 when he was nearly 2x the legal BA limit (http://www.dispatch.com/live/contentbe/dispatch/2006/04/05/20060405-C2-01.html).

Then in August 2006 Boone had this to say in an interview with the Columbus Dispatch:

Boone, who turned 19 in May, will arrive in Columbus as a sophomore starting left tackle, four months sober, down to 315 pounds after losing 50 pounds of beer weight, and eternally grateful that his actions in the early morning of April 2 didn't end a life or his football career.

"I knew I had a problem. I had been drinking like every night, just terrible drinking," he said. "I'd be down here in Columbus drinking, and I'd wake up . . . and I was like, 'How did I get home last night?' And guys were like, 'you got ripped, and you drove home, and we tried stopping you, and you got into a fight.' And I was like, 'I got a problem,' and I'd try to go sober, and it would last me about three days, and I'd be like, 'I need a beer.'

"Even during the season, I was drinking way more than I should have been. I shouldn't be drinking at all - I'm not of age - but I just realized I'm not mature enough to drink. I'd have one beer, and it would lead to 24 or 36 - there were weekends when in one night I'd be putting down 40.

Apparently old Alex Boone did not stick to his program. In fact, I can tell you from personal observation he was back to drinking as early as November 2007 because I personally witnessed him walk around a house party with an entire case he appeared to be drinking on his own. Later in the night he supposedly kicked a hole through a door at the same party (I had left, was told this by a friend who stayed). He obviously continues to battle these same problems on a level much more unhealthy than your normal college drinking.

Caseyfan21
02-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Here are some of the arrest numbers I came up with from OSU during Tressel's tenure:

- 15 arrests players between when Tressel was hired and November 2004 (found in several articles) (6 were recruited by Tressel)
Additional arrest I found in news stories:
Jonathon Skeete – May 2005
Alex Boone – April 2006
Antonio Henton – September 2007
Doug Worthington – July 2008
Eugene Clifford – July 2008
Nathan Williams - December 2008

And some other problems:
Troy Smith suspension for taking money
Santonio Holmes arrested this past summer
Boone arrest last week
Clarrett legal situation and arrest
Ray Small suspension

That was just some stuff I came up with quickly.

I think there might be a problem at OSU but I think the situation has definitely improved since the end of 2004. I think Tressel has run a tighter ship and some of the problems have been isolated and unrelated. I am as big a Buckeye fan as there is but I still recognize there has been a large number of legal problems since Tressel took over in 2001.

Highlifeman21
02-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Here are some of the arrest numbers I came up with from OSU during Tressel's tenure:

- 15 arrests players between when Tressel was hired and November 2004 (found in several articles) (6 were recruited by Tressel)
Additional arrest I found in news stories:
Jonathon Skeete May 2005
Alex Boone April 2006
Antonio Henton September 2007
Doug Worthington July 2008
Eugene Clifford July 2008
Nathan Williams - December 2008

And some other problems:
Troy Smith suspension for taking money
Santonio Holmes arrested this past summer
Boone arrest last week
Clarrett legal situation and arrest
Ray Small suspension

That was just some stuff I came up with quickly.

I think there might be a problem at OSU but I think the situation has definitely improved since the end of 2004. I think Tressel has run a tighter ship and some of the problems have been isolated and unrelated. I am as big a Buckeye fan as there is but I still recognize there has been a large number of legal problems since Tressel took over in 2001.

The best part about Antonio Henton is (even if he was joking, which I believe he was) he offered a cop posing as a hooker $20 when he only had $18 or $19 on him. Shrewd negotiation skills, Mr. Henton.

I think too much was made out of the Antonio Henton incident, but I still can't help but laugh that he had negotiated a price of $20 and didn't have $20 on him.

Caseyfan21
02-04-2009, 08:21 PM
The best part about Antonio Henton is (even if he was joking, which I believe he was) he offered a cop posing as a hooker $20 when he only had $18 or $19 on him. Shrewd negotiation skills, Mr. Henton.

I think too much was made out of the Antonio Henton incident, but I still can't help but laugh that he had negotiated a price of $20 and didn't have $20 on him.

The kid has a future in business for sure. :thumbup:

I also believe that Henton was set up in that episode based on what I heard on the case and other things I heard about him off the field. From what I heard and, on a few occasions saw, he seemed like a nice quiet kid.

Highlifeman21
02-04-2009, 08:43 PM
The kid has a future in business for sure. :thumbup:

I also believe that Henton was set up in that episode based on what I heard on the case and other things I heard about him off the field. From what I heard and, on a few occasions saw, he seemed like a nice quiet kid.

Yeah, IMO Henton is a good kid who was in the wrong place @ the wrong time, partially set up by the Columbus Five-Oh.