PDA

View Full Version : Jay Leno to host new NBC show weeknights at 10pm

macro
02-03-2009, 01:11 AM
Leno's last show as host of The Tonight Show is set for Friday, May 29, with Conan taking over the show Monday, June 1. Leno then will take his act to the 10:00pm time slot weeknights on NBC. It will be interesting to see how this goes. One thing's for sure: late night television will get its biggest shakeup since 1992, when Johnny Carson retired and David Letterman left NBC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/09/business/media/09leno.html

WMR
02-03-2009, 01:17 AM
They sure tried to get Conan's name/face out there during the SB, didn't they?

remdog
02-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Conan is painfully 'unfunny'.

Craig Ferguson kicks his butt.

Rem

westofyou
02-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Hollywood backslapping and promotion of bad films and usually horrible music, none of these shows have been good since the 80's IMO.

UKFlounder
02-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Messing around on youtube a few days ago, I found a video Don Rickles was the host of the Tonight Show one night, and 3 guests who came out at once (for only a couple of minutes, but still) were Bob Hope, Bing Crosby and John Wayne. That was some pretty good starpower (even if Crosby sure looked like Vin Scully, LOL)

durl
02-03-2009, 01:48 PM

Rem

I don't watch either show but I have flipped through both and watched for a few minutes.

I agree with your assessment. Conan may be a very good writer but Ferguson is funnier in front of the camera and he's a far better interviewer.

Unassisted
02-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Hollywood backslapping and promotion of bad films and usually horrible music, none of these shows have been good since the 80's IMO.Things were so much better back then, when Johnny Carson was able to give America occasional doses of his emergency-standby guests George Segal and Pete Barbutti.

Whenever I saw that one of those guys was on the Tonight Show, it would make me wonder which celebrity had bailed on Johnny.

Razor Shines
02-03-2009, 03:20 PM

Rem

Bring back Kilby!!

KronoRed
02-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Hollywood backslapping and promotion of bad films and usually horrible music, none of these shows have been good since the 80's IMO.

Agreed, especially the horrible music part.

Strikes Out Looking
02-03-2009, 04:26 PM

Rem

Actually, it's not Conan I like, but the star of his show, Triumph.

Tom Servo
02-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Conan's always been king for me.

The Baumer
02-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Ferguson's show would be great if it were on PBS at 4am but as a major midnight late show it is a little bit too boorish/conversational for me. I'm all for lettings things go at a natural pace but it can get a little too slow. As for Conan, he gets pretty predictable with his constant self-deprecation and he notoriously interrupts interviews to make jokes centering around himself but I enjoy his weird/darker comedy bits and he often has great guests/musical acts. Then we have Leno who is Leno, and Letterman who I don't watch so I won't comment on.

Dom Heffner
02-04-2009, 08:54 PM
I think Conan is funny. The only thing he does that gets on my nerves really badly is the self deprecating humor.

When he interviews hot models/actresses he always makes fun of himself to fish for a compliment.

It was old in 1995 and it still is.

RichRed
02-05-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm a big fan of Conan but I agree with the criticisms mentioned here. I just watched him on Inside the Actor's Studio the other day and thought he was hilarious and came off as a pretty smart & interesting guy, to boot.

GoReds33
02-05-2009, 05:20 PM
I am a very big Conan fan. Conan is funny, and his monologue is better than Jay's, in my opinion.

I do not know if it was even considered, but I would have loved to see Jon Stewart host the Tonight Show.

redsfan1966
02-05-2009, 05:59 PM
I just dont get the late night show thing---do people really make an effort to be in front of the tube for Leno, Letterman, Conan, etc.??? The amount of money that is thrown to these guys is amazing for what seems to me is a small return. Spike Ferensten on Fox Saturdays is ok and Letterman was a fave of mine before CBS...but other than that, I just dont get it....the Leno to 10pm thing is obviously a sign of things to come---cut costs by eliminating scripted programming...

By the way, the best talk show was the Larry Sanders show...

The Baumer
02-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Sometimes people do things.

remdog
02-05-2009, 10:08 PM
I just dont get the late night show thing---do people really make an effort to be in front of the tube for Leno, Letterman, Conan, etc.???

Naw. People of my age tend to wake up about that time after falling asleep around 8:30 with the TV on. Which show you watch (when you're not in the bathroom) is fully a function of what channel you were on when you conked out. ;)

Rem

Ravenlord
02-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Conan is sometimes funny. i absolutely love Craig Ferguson. Leno and Letterman bore me most of the time.

Ravenlord
02-05-2009, 11:12 PM
I just dont get the late night show thing---do people really make an effort to be in front of the tube for Leno, Letterman, Conan, etc.??? since i'm going to be awake at hat time, i do so for Craig Ferguson.:)

macro
02-05-2009, 11:32 PM
I just dont get the late night show thing---do people really make an effort to be in front of the tube for Leno, Letterman, Conan, etc.???

I rarely sit and watch minute by minute, but it is my habit to have Leno on the TV while I get online at night, after everyone else has gone to bed. It just makes for comfortable background noise. :dunno: If I overhear something interesting, I'll give it my attention for a time and then go back to what I was doing.

Other than that, I'll check the program guide to see who the guests are going to be for all three shows at the beginning of the week, then DVR the ones that include people I'm interested in hearing/seeing, which usually amounts to about two or three episodes per week. Sometimes I'll watch the monologue and opening skit, but if I'm pressed for time I'll just forward to the guest.

Late night will never be like it was in the days of Carson, when cable offerings were limited or (even further back) when there was only the big three networks. But apparently the audience for these shows is not insignificant.

Unassisted
02-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Is the Tonight Show audience really ready to watch Conan do this (http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/7397/19021201410lt9.gif)?