PDA

View Full Version : Edinson appears in music video promo.

redhawk61
02-04-2009, 11:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4wkmqrib7U

Someone wanna translate

xavr1
02-04-2009, 11:50 AM
I think he is saying "I hope this video gets me a tryout with the Bengals."

ChatterRed
02-04-2009, 11:51 AM
He said, "If Dusty bats Corey Patterson leadoff one more time, I'm gonna..........%$^&*"

Seriously, when did Chris Henry learn spanish?

reds77
02-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Henry took heat for having his Bengals jersey on. Will Volquez take heat for sporting his Reds cap?

Captain Hook
02-04-2009, 12:05 PM
This isn't good.I expect young guys to act like fools from time to time but I hate to see them act like fools with a gun.It would be nice to know a little more about the video before saying too much more about Edinson.

CRedsLarkin11
Well that's just great

dunner13
wow this makes me feel really good about our future ace..........maybe we would have been better with keeping hamilton.

texasdave
02-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Perhaps Edinson is taking the opening line to the Reds' 2009 ad campaign song ("Paint the Town Red") literally.

Courtesy of ORG:

"Next time the cops come, we're going to run right towards them." That's the first line of the song the Reds' chose to be the song for their 2009 ad campaign? Odd choice for a baseball team.

DTCromer
02-04-2009, 12:56 PM
What? Star athletes carrying guns? You don't say!

dunner13
02-04-2009, 01:13 PM
What? Star athletes carrying guns? You don't say!

Yeh im sure this was a video on how athletes need to protect their families, or how to properly secure your firearm........riiiight.

redsfandan
02-04-2009, 01:15 PM
And I thought I did stupid things when I was young(er)... :rolleyes:

WildcatFan
02-04-2009, 01:16 PM
My spanish isn't good enough to catch everything they're saying with the slang and the weird Dominican accents, but the Maseo guy does say that you can look for yourself, and there's nothing illegal in the car — no drugs. He also says something about the gun speaking for him, and it sounds like a sort of warning for people not to mess with Volquez, who he calls 'The greatest in the world.'

I'm assuming carrying a handgun in your car is not illegal in the Dominican, and might even be a wise choice for a guy like Volquez who is making so much money in America and is well-known in the area.

That said, he needs to know better than to let these types of videos find their way to the Internet. It's bad publicity no matter which way you slice it.

redsfandan
02-04-2009, 01:33 PM
My spanish isn't good enough to catch everything they're saying with the slang and the weird Dominican accents, but the Maseo guy does say that you can look for yourself, and there's nothing illegal in the car — no drugs. He also says something about the gun speaking for him, and it sounds like a sort of warning for people not to mess with Volquez, who he calls 'The greatest in the world.'

I'm assuming carrying a handgun in your car is not illegal in the Dominican, and might even be a wise choice for a guy like Volquez who is making so much money in America and is well-known in the area. ...
good point.

That said, he needs to know better than to let these types of videos find their way to the Internet. It's bad publicity no matter which way you slice it.
I wonder if he cares about the reaction here since it sounds like he may want the video to be a warning to people where HE lives.

WildcatFan
02-04-2009, 01:38 PM
He probably doesn't care, but I bet his employers do. Even so, I don't think it's much to make a fuss over. The Reds will probably give him a stern talking to, telling him to make sure he doesn't let it happen again.

This is one of those situations where it's nice to be in a small market. Imagine if the same video came out with Joba Chamberlain. Skip Bayless might explode.

GoReds33
02-04-2009, 01:55 PM
I really cannot blame him. I don't like these types of things getting into the media, as it puts a negative light on my favorite team. However, if having a gun is legal where he lives, he likely has no other choice than to protect himself. I would just prefer he not put it on the internet.

Orodle
02-04-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm not against athletes carrying guns in their house or even their car. However, just dont take it into a night club and flashing it around youtube isnt a good idea either.

dougflynn23
02-04-2009, 03:54 PM
:eek: The one line I could translate was "Willy Taveras? WTF? Damn you Walt Jocketty"...and then he pulls out the gun!

AccordinglyReds
02-04-2009, 03:59 PM
OMG. Perhaps not the best way to portray himself in a PR stance, but I don't get why people are getting pissed off and comparing "if it was in Cincinnati" (ORG). He's in his own damn country and it's not even him talking about the stuff.

fugowitribe
02-04-2009, 04:22 PM
I also agree that it is not good PR, but at least he didn't go Plaxico Buress on us.

Stephenk29
02-04-2009, 05:29 PM
I spend a week in the D.R. last January. It was not unusual to see a man holding a gun out in the open let alone in his glove box. Keep in mind that the D.R. is a third world country as well, extrememly poor, and people will do anything if desperate enough. It is also near Haiti, where people frequently kidnap Dominicans and sell them into slavery. My advice to Volquez, get a bigger gun if anything, then leave in the D.R. when you come back to the states.

mlh1981
02-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Edinson comes from a different country with different cultural beliefs and backgrounds. What may be odd/inappropriate to us could very well be normal for him, and there are probably a lot of things that we do that they would frown on.

Thank Goodness he never wears his Reds cap like that on the mound, though, though I gotta say it's a bit strange to see a baseball player going around with his team cap on. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Trace's Daddy
02-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Sure would like to know what knowledge his partner was dropping in the video. Can anyone translate what he was saying?

thatcoolguy_22
02-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Who really cares? This is just something to talk about in the final couple of weeks until spring training.

thatcoolguy_22
02-04-2009, 06:29 PM
From OnBaseMachine in the ORG

Would you care to post this on the Volquez thread? Maybe people will stop making a big deal out of it now.

Reds on Volquez
Wednesday, February 4, 2009, 04:33 PM EST

Reds public relations director Rob Butcher said Walt Jocketty has spoken with Mario Soto about the Edinson Volquez video. According to Soto, it is part of a staged professional video shoot for Merengue artist Maceo.

This is on a set for a promotional video for his new album and he got Edinson Volquez there to led some star powe

http://thelotd.com/ctrent/blog

Natty Redlocks
02-04-2009, 06:44 PM
I think he is saying "I hope this video gets me a tryout with the Bengals."

This thread should've ended right here, IMO. Good one.

morande
02-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Are we sure this is in the DR??? Ive seen him around town in a few cars, one an acura and one I'm not sure if it was his or Javis but they were in a mercedes, Can anyone tell what kind this is??

ChatterRed
02-05-2009, 08:25 AM
I believe that video was made at the same party Michael Phelps attended and smoked pot.

Moosie52
02-05-2009, 10:48 AM
I spend a week in the D.R. last January. It was not unusual to see a man holding a gun out in the open let alone in his glove box. Keep in mind that the D.R. is a third world country as well, extrememly poor, and people will do anything if desperate enough. It is also near Haiti, where people frequently kidnap Dominicans and sell them into slavery. My advice to Volquez, get a bigger gun if anything, then leave in the D.R. when you come back to the states.

So maybe he wasn't drunk? That gives him a leg up on some NBA players.

ChatterRed
02-05-2009, 11:53 AM
I just wish he'd been wearing a Bengals or Xavier cap.

Ghosts of 1990
02-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Uhhhhhhh....... ?

Jerome
02-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Tip for Edinson--If that is not your gun, I suggest going out and buying one at the Walmart Dominicana.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

jhiller21
02-07-2009, 11:20 PM
The video is actually really funny.

Volquez hands him the gun and says in spanish "This is yours"

Maceo proceeds to explain to reporters not to mess with him, and there is nothing illegal in the car.

An enthusiastic "Ohhh baby!" seals the deal