PDA

View Full Version : Wonder what Carolina's Roster will look like?

bowles8
02-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Just curious as ST is right around the corner and the MLB/MiLB season right behind it, what is Carolina's roster going to look like?

Should Frazier, Francisco, Mesoraco possibly be there?

TRF
02-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Francisco, Frazier and Alonso. Mes should repeat Dayton, but likely he'll be in Sarasota.

camisadelgolf
02-04-2009, 02:07 PM
I'd expect something close to this . . .

Lineup:
CF Chris Heisey
RF Sean Henry
1B Yonder Alonso
3B Todd Frazier
LF Juan Francisco
2B Drew M. Anderson
SS Jose Castro
C Eddy Rodriguez

Bench:
C Chris Denove
C Brian Peterson
1B Logan Parker
2B Mike DeJesus
3B Eric Eymann
OF Carson Kainer
UT Justin Tordi

Rotation:
SP Jordan Smith
SP Travis Wood
SP Alex Smit
SP Dallas Buck
SP Pedro Viola

Bullpen:
CL Sean Watson
RP Ramon Geronimo
RP Lee Tabor
RP Phil Valiquette
RP Derrik Lutz
RP Federico Baez
MU Logan Ondrusek
MU Camilo Vazquez

Scott Carroll* (suspended)

JaxRed
02-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Why was I thinking Camillo was not with Reds anymore?

camisadelgolf
02-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Why was I thinking Camillo was not with Reds anymore?

Maybe he isn't. He qualifies as a six-year minor league free agent, but I haven't seen that he signed elsewhere.

camisadelgolf
02-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Can anyone imagine if Bowden had this rotation in AA?

SP Jordan Smith
SP Travis Wood
SP Alex Smit
SP Dallas Buck
SP Pedro Viola
SP Scott Carroll

All those guys would probably be in Cincinnati by now and deemed players you can build a franchise around.

JayBruceFan
02-04-2009, 05:19 PM
You have 6 LHP listed

3 in rotation, 3 in bullpen

Will they carry that many?

dougdirt
02-04-2009, 05:32 PM
You have 6 LHP listed

Why wouldn't they?

JayBruceFan
02-04-2009, 06:33 PM
That seems a bit excessive but if it works for them more power to them

camisadelgolf
02-04-2009, 07:22 PM
You have 6 LHP listed

I wouldn't be surprised to see more to be honest with you. I figure the Reds will have five lefties in AAA (Matt Maloney, Adam Pettyjohn, Ben Jukich, Aaron Fultz, and Ron Flores), and we will see at least three more in A+ (Jeremy Horst, Travis Webb, Joe Krebs, Jamie Arneson, Mace Thurman, Aguido Gonzalez, Drew Bowman, Steve Otterness). The Reds have a lot of left-handed pitching depth.

RED VAN HOT
02-05-2009, 07:24 AM
I'd expect something close to this . . .

Lineup:
CF Chris Heisey
RF Sean Henry
1B Yonder Alonso
3B Todd Frazier
LF Juan Francisco
2B Drew M. Anderson
SS Jose Castro
C Eddy Rodriguez

Bench:
C Chris Denove
C Brian Peterson
1B Logan Parker
2B Mike DeJesus
3B Eric Eymann
OF Carson Kainer
UT Justin Tordi

Rotation:
SP Jordan Smith
SP Travis Wood
SP Alex Smit
SP Dallas Buck
SP Pedro Viola

Bullpen:
CL Sean Watson
RP Ramon Geronimo
RP Lee Tabor
RP Phil Valiquette
RP Derrik Lutz
RP Federico Baez
MU Logan Ondrusek
MU Camilo Vazquez

Scott Carroll* (suspended)

I appreciate your taking a stab at this. It is hard to predict until the pieces fall into place at the higher levels. I have a few questions and observations.

Where do you see Stewart and Misael DeJesus? The latter appears to have earned a promotion. The former appears to be on a fast track.

Would Frazier make a better LF choice than Francisco? Frazier is faster.

Eymann appears to have nothing left to prove at AA. Seems to me the Reds should move him up or give him a shot with another organization rather than make him a bench player.

It also seems that both Alonso and Parker need playing time. Might it be better for one of them to start the season at A+?

camisadelgolf
02-05-2009, 08:07 AM
I appreciate your taking a stab at this. It is hard to predict until the pieces fall into place at the higher levels. I have a few questions and observations.

Where do you see Stewart and Misael DeJesus? The latter appears to have earned a promotion. The former appears to be on a fast track.

Would Frazier make a better LF choice than Francisco? Frazier is faster.

Eymann appears to have nothing left to prove at AA. Seems to me the Reds should move him up or give him a shot with another organization rather than make him a bench player.

It also seems that both Alonso and Parker need playing time. Might it be better for one of them to start the season at A+?

These are great questions, all of which I've asked myself. Yes, Stewart appears to be on the fast track, but let's not lose sight of the fact that he had only 16.2 IP in A+ last season. To go with that, he had 11 BBs, so as great as he was, it's not like he doesn't have things to prove. I agree that Misael DeJesus has earned a promotion, and the only recent I didn't write him in for AA is because I figured the Reds would like him to be used as a starter, and the AA squad doesn't have a lot of room. It wouldn't surprise me to see DeJesus in AA with Dallas Buck returning to A+.

I've said all along that I see Todd Frazier as a left fielder, but a lot of people seem to disagree with me. Personally, I think both he and Francisco are left fielders, but because Frazier is more athletic, I figured it would make more sense to have him as the third baseman. On top of that, it's a less controversial decision.

I also agree that Eymann is ready for AAA, but it was a matter of seniority. Louisville will most likely have 1B and 3B covered by Kevin Barker, Wes Bankston, Adam Rosales, and Mike Griffin. It wouldn't surprise me to see a player moved before the start of the regular season.

Obviously, Alonso is the better prospect, but if it were up to me, personally, I'd start him at A+. Logan Parker really broke out last season, and there's no need to put Alonso on the fast track. Ultimately, I'd trade one of them away, but in the meantime, I'd want to get both of them as many at-bats as possible. If both of them are in AA, that means having Jason Louwsma and/or Mike McKennon getting all the at-bats in A+, and that idea just makes me angry.

Another thing not talked about is that I could see Chris Valaika staying in AA while Drew M. Anderson serves a utility role somewhere. Valaika is ready for AAA, but so are Paul Janish, Danny Richar, Luis Bolivar, Drew M. Anderson, etc.

mace
02-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Obviously, Alonso is the better prospect, but if it were up to me, personally, I'd start him at A+. Logan Parker really broke out last season, and there's no need to put Alonso on the fast track. Ultimately, I'd trade one of them away, but in the meantime, I'd want to get both of them as many at-bats as possible. If both of them are in AA, that means having Jason Louwsma and/or Mike McKennon getting all the at-bats in A+, and that idea just makes me angry.

Couldn't Michael Konstanty be a candidate for 1B at Sarasota? I realize that would mean he skips Dayton, but he held his own at Billings (arguably) and is a bit older at 23.

camisadelgolf
02-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Couldn't Michael Konstanty be a candidate for 1B at Sarasota? I realize that would mean he skips Dayton, but he held his own at Billings (arguably) and is a bit older at 23.

I suppose it could happen, but that would be a huge jump for a guy who clearly has holes in his game, and I just don't see it happening. If that were to happen, who would play first base in Dayton? It's not that the Reds don't have candidates (Donald Lutz, Humberto Sosa, and possibly a couple of recently-drafted outfielders come to mind), but I really think Konstanty makes the most sense as the Dragons' first baseman.

RED VAN HOT
02-05-2009, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the response. I agree completely on Alonso. If he hits as well as everyone expects, he could still end up in AAA in August.

This exercise points up the number of solid, if not spectacular, prospects that the Reds have in the upper minors. Some players fully deserving of AAA and AA will end up starting at the lower level.

Mario-Rijo
02-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the response. I agree completely on Alonso. If he hits as well as everyone expects, he could still end up in AAA in August.

This exercise points up the number of solid, if not spectacular, prospects that the Reds have in the upper minors. Some players fully deserving of AAA and AA will end up starting at the lower level.

Which also means a lot of them better get busy because there will also be a lot of guys left off the 40 man next offseason. Which is why I am shocked that they didn't deal any off that will be rule 5 eligible.

redsmetz
02-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Which also means a lot of them better get busy because there will also be a lot of guys left off the 40 man next offseason. Which is why I am shocked that they didn't deal any off that will be rule 5 eligible.

I raised the question earlier this week whether the club won't start making some of the deals with some of these players as they see how people progress, both at the ML level and in our upper minors. As pressure is applied, room will have to be made and if we have multiple players ready to make a jump, then isn't it logical that we will move some of them?

RED VAN HOT
02-15-2009, 10:52 PM
I raised the question earlier this week whether the club won't start making some of the deals with some of these players as they see how people progress, both at the ML level and in our upper minors. As pressure is applied, room will have to be made and if we have multiple players ready to make a jump, then isn't it logical that we will move some of them?

It's an interesting situation in that virtually every team now prefers trading veterans for prospects in order to get younger, faster, cheaper. Further, no team seems willing to part with the quantity of top prospects needed to obtain a good front line player. You might expect a trade of prospects to obtain a replacement for a spring training injury. Then again, there is a supply of unsigned FA's out there to supply that need. The Reds are not deep in prospects at every position, however. What might make sense for the Reds is a prospect swap with an American League team.