PDA

View Full Version : Reds sign Jacque Jones, Daryl Ward

CesarGeronimo
02-05-2009, 03:07 PM
A news release from the Reds:

CINCINNATI - Cincinnati Reds President of Baseball Operations and General Manager Walt Jocketty today announced the signing of free agents OF Jacque Jones and 1B/OF Daryle Ward to minor league contracts with invitations to Major League spring training camp.

Jones, 33, last season appeared in 42 games with Detroit and Florida.

In his career, Jones has played in in 21 playoff games, including both Division Series (2002-04, 2007) and the 2002 American League Championship Series. He has a 20 career leadoff homers and a .287 lifetime average with runners in scoring position.

Ward, 33, made 89 appearances last season for the Cubs.

His 11 pinch-hit homers ties him with Tony Clark for fourth-most among active Major Leaguers. Ward has made 11 career post-season appearances, all in the National League Division Series (1999, 2001, 2007, 2008). He is the son of 2-time AL All-Star Gary Ward.

Krawhitham
02-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Ward's last good season was ....

Oh wait he has never had a good season

Jones last 2 seasons were horrible, hope he was hurt and is now better

Jerome
02-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Actually, Ward has had some very good seasons as a sub. He'll bring great power off the bench. Nice pick up.

Jones is average in every sense of the word. Man, we love signing outfielders and putting them in storage.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

roby
02-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Ward's last good season was ....

Oh wait he has never had a good season

Jones last 2 seasons were horrible, hope he was hurt and is now better

This is sure a head-scratcher. But, I'm not complaining, at least they are bringing some warm bodies to camp and I used to really like Jones back in the day.

TheNext44
02-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Basically these two probably will battle with Lance Nix for the LH 5th outfielder spot. I doubt both will make the team, maybe neither.

Jones had some good power, but was never was that good at getting on base. He did have a very good year with Dusty in 06, and he just had laser eye surgery this off season, so maybe he can come back. Not going to put any money on it. He can play all three outfield positions which is a plus.

Ward is a solid LH option off the bench, has some nice power as a pinch hitter. Basically he is a big upgrade over Javy as the LH off the bench.

As long as these are true minor league signings for near the league minimum if they make it, there is nothing wrong with them.

RED VAN HOT
02-05-2009, 04:11 PM
These signings simply provide more options this spring. If they do not make the big club, I suspect they will be released (early). I don't see any room for them on the Louisville roster where there are already a number of deserving, younger OF'ers vying for spots.

Ghosts of 1990
02-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Daryl Ward is the POP guy off the bench as a PH the Reds wanted. Don't know how he'll ever start unless Votto has the day off (maybe 5 times all year) or Votto plays LF (probably won't happen).

And my God, I hope Jaque Jones can get Lance Nix off this team. Let Jones, who is actually pretty athletic and talented be the 5th OF on the team.

A bench comprised of guys like Jones, Ward, Hairston on certain days, Hanigan or Hernandez, Wilkin Castillo...... could cause some problems for teams playing us.

Thing is, both Ward and Jones are LH sticks. Kind of odd.

roby
02-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Daryl Ward is the POP guy off the bench as a PH the Reds wanted. Don't know how he'll ever start unless Votto has the day off (maybe 5 times all year) or Votto plays LF (probably won't happen).

And my God, I hope Jaque Jones can get Lance Nix off this team. Let Jones, who is actually pretty athletic and talented be the 5th OF on the team.

A bench comprised of guys like Jones, Ward, Hairston on certain days, Hanigan or Hernandez, Wilkin Castillo...... could cause some problems for teams playing us.

Thing is, both Ward and Jones are LH sticks. Kind of odd.

The reds are pretty lopsided with a left-handed slant off the bench. Also, it's good to have some options when picking your bench in the spring.

edogg07
02-05-2009, 04:33 PM
These are great signings IMO. Ward adds pop and Jones adds depth in the outfield if they make the team. It sure beats Castro Abad and guys like that on the bench.

DTCromer
02-05-2009, 04:53 PM
The first 2 moves/non moves of the season I don't like. Oh well, it's only a ST invite, so what could hurt?

Making the roster is a different animal. . .

WildcatFan
02-05-2009, 05:02 PM
I do like giving Ward a shot, but Jacque Jones is Willy Taveras Lite, if you can even wrap your head around such a thing.

Captain Hook
02-05-2009, 05:17 PM
I like the moves as most do.Could make for a really good bench.The bad thing is that our starters in the OF are not much better then these guys(except Bruce of course).I just hope D Baker doesn't fall in love with one of these old vets.

Natty Redlocks
02-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Only thing I can't figure out is why Neifi Perez isn't here yet

ChatterRed
02-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Yawner moves to me. Ho-hum.

AccordinglyReds
02-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Ward off the bench is cool, but I just hope Jones doesn't take time away from Dickerson if he makes the team. :(

RedLakerFan24
02-05-2009, 05:54 PM
WTF we need to trade Roenicke + Frazier for Erick Aybar, then sign Manny Ramirez

Taveras
Aybar
Votto
Ramirez
Bruce
Phillips
Encarncion
Hernandez

Casey
02-05-2009, 06:23 PM
No problem at all with signing either of these guys to minor league deals, and I actually even like the Ward signing. If they don't work out, they'll just be released at no cost to anyone.

akron3344
02-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Ward reminds me of the former red Jay Ward a great slugger

thatcoolguy_22
02-05-2009, 07:39 PM
13 Positional Players

LOCKS

1) 1B Votto
2) 2B Phillips
3) SS Gonzalez
4) 3B Encarnacion
5) RF Bruce
6) CF Taveras
7) C Hernandez
8) OF/IF Hairston
9) C Hanigan

That Leaves 4 open slots with 3 OF and 1 IF

Available

OF Dickerson
OF Nix
OF Gomes
OF Jones
OF/1B Ward
OF Hopper
IF Keppinger
SS Janish
IF/C Castillo
IF Richar
IF Rosales

The question is if either Jones or Ward make the team who will not?

What I hope to see with the 4 remaining slots...
10) LF Dickerson
11) OF/1B Ward
12) IF Keppinger
13) OF Gomes

I love Ward's power off of the bench on the left side and he can spell Votto when he needs a day off. He is listed as an OF/1B but his primary role will be PH slash bakup first baseman. Gomes can be a very capable RH platoon partner with Dickerson. Defensively he is a black hole but he mashes LHP and I think his bat will carry him. Keppinger for the IF version of utility to go along with whatever Hairston can bring. Those 2 should be able to provide adequate backup to Gonzo, BP and, EE. Dickerson because I would like to see a prospect get his chance. If he suceeds then great! If not we have more than enough options to take a look at in AAA and AA.

fugowitribe
02-05-2009, 10:12 PM
I am excited about moves like this, because I see it as a way to push the younger guys like Dickerson and new guys like Taveras in a way that they have to play their best ball everyday, or there is another guy with the same mediocore skills ready to give it a shot. Competition is what makes guys better.

dougflynn23
02-05-2009, 11:00 PM
If you look at 2008 as a lost season for Jones, lets compare a bit.

AB 453 RS 52 RBI 66 BA .285 OBP .335 SLG .400 OPS .735 RC 58
AB 479 RS 64 RBI 26 BA .251 OBP .308 SLG .296 OPS .604 RC 55

Line 1 - Jacque Jones in 2007 Line 2 - Willy Taveras in 2008. Both players worst statistical seasons with 400+ PAs.

Difference is, one is on a minor league minimum deal and the other got a 2 year major league deal.

thatcoolguy_22
02-06-2009, 01:48 AM

Line 1 - Jacque Jones in 2007 Line 2 - Willy Taveras in 2008. Both players worst statistical seasons with 400+ PAs.

Difference is, one is on a minor league minimum deal and the other got a 2 year major league deal.

Hahahahaha I love these types of comparisons :laugh::laugh::laugh:

But speed is the key. Everyone knows that... :rolleyes:

Rusty the Red
02-06-2009, 03:03 AM
Taveras led the league in steals - that's the difference.

I like these signings, but I would hope only Ward makes the team.

thatcoolguy_22
02-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Taveras led the league in steals - that's the difference.

I like these signings, but I would hope only Ward makes the team.

Haha thats not the difference. The difference is that even while leading the league in steals he could not score runs. In Taveras' BEST year he was still below average for a CF, making him a horrible candidate for a 2 year contract. Anyways enough beating a dead horse.

I just hope that Dickerson is still given plenty of PT and not being forced to "prove" himself in spring training. Those stats are worthless but often decide who is the 24/5th man on opening day. It boggles my mind.

LF Competition
Dickerson
Hairston
Gomes
Jones
Ward
Nix
Hopper

What a poopy list of names to choose from (outside of Dickerson's potential)

:beerme: (cheers)To Bruce and Votto OPSing .850+ and Dickerson stroking for an .800 clip as well.

smoke6
02-06-2009, 08:00 AM
These moves don't bother me. Jones and Ward used to pound the Reds, but then again.........who didn't. :(

flash
02-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Good signing, It could alleviate the need for a third catcher. Remember that last year Votto's back-up was Valentin. Until Hannigan came up in August the Reds did not have anyone with 1b playing experience.

Irt will also make for an interesting Spring Training with a lot of competition for the outfield spots. I still believe Dickerson has the inside track to the starting LF job with Hopper as a back-up. Gomes and Nix are nothing but a strike-outs waiting to happen. Hopper at least hits the ball. You can't steaL first, but it would be nice to have someone who is actually going to run there. I don't believe Stubbs will ever be major league, but we'll see how things work out with him and Smokey Garrett. (One thing about Smokey, he knows how to teach hitting.Jacque Jones is a nice little ornament igf the Reds need him.

bounty37h
02-06-2009, 11:04 AM
I dont have a problem with these signings, good insurance I guess, but I do have a problem with the fact we sign so many "eh" kinda guys hoping to catch lightning in a bottle, when we could use the salary for all of them combined and get a true player we need. We get told there is no money to sign "x" player, but then combine 6 scrub players contracts to equal what the one good one would have been...or at least close.

RED VAN HOT
02-06-2009, 06:03 PM

There are more differences than that. Jones is 33 and his production has declined precipitously. In 453 AB with the Cubs in 2007 his HR production dropped from 27 in 2006 to 5. After trading for him in the offseason, the Tigers released him in mid-May. That's pretty quick for a veteran player with good career numbers. What did they see?
Taveras is 27. He is coming off his worst year, but still had 68 SB's with a 90% success rate. If you add a base for every SB and subtract one for every CS, and roll those bases into his SLG percentage computation, he and Jones were nearly equal in OPS for the two years being compared.

So if you had to put money to it, which player is more likely to have a comeback year 2009? Taveras is clearly the lower risk.

Nevertheless, I think Jones was a good signing because it basically costs nothing. He will be 34 for most of the season and that is not too old to have a comeback. In order to be an asset, however, he must be closer to the 27 HR power than the 5.

Perhaps the Reds paid too much for Taveras. That remains to be seen. Apparently, the Reds, unlike most of Redszone, were uncomfortable relying solely on Dickerson for CF. They needed a CF'er and they needed a lead off hitter who could run. Taveras provides both. CF'ers are in short supply. Supposedly, other clubs were after Taveras, so Walt pulled the trigger. It's always a gamble, but sometimes your hand is forced.

berryluther
02-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Ward off the bench is cool, but I just hope Jones doesn't take time away from Dickerson if he makes the team. :(

IMO Dickerson is a career bench player. He doesnt have the skills to be an every day major leaguer. Lets hope that Jones' woes at the plate end after the laser eye surgery. If they do it is a excellent signing.

mlh1981
02-07-2009, 09:22 AM
I guess it's always good to have warm bodies in camp. If either of these guys ever have to play any sort of extended time, then we are screwed.

schmidty622
02-07-2009, 10:35 PM
At least the Bench is much improved.