PDA

View Full Version : Bengals Free Agency and Trades Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

icehole3
02-07-2009, 07:26 AM
Here are the Bengals free agents, at first glance just about all our LBs need to be resigned

http://www.bengals.com/team/Roster.asp

Unrestricted Free Agent
* Rookie
Player Name # Pos HT WT College Exp Birth Date
Andrews, Stacy 79 T 6-7 342 Mississippi 6 6/2/1981
Benson, Cedric 32 RB 5-11 220 Texas 5 12/28/1982
Blackstock, Darryl 56 LB/DE 6-3 255 Virginia 5 5/30/1983
Crocker, Chris 42 S 5-11 200 Marshall 7 3/9/1980
Fitzpatrick, Ryan 11 QB 6-2 225 Harvard 5 11/24/1982
Fletcher, Jamar 25 CB 5-10 185 Wisconsin 9 8/28/1979
Ghiaciuc, Eric 53 C 6-4 303 Central Michigan 5 5/28/1981
Graham, Shayne 17 K 6-0 205 Virginia Tech 9 12/9/1977
Houshmandzadeh, T.J. 84 WR 6-1 199 Oregon State 9 9/26/1977
Thornton, John 97 DT 6-3 297 West Virginia 11 10/2/1976

Restricted Free Agent
* Rookie
Busing, John 40 S 6-2 221 Miami (OH) 4 9/1/1983
Dorsey, DeDe 27 RB 5-11 203 Lindenwood 4 8/1/1984
Holt, Glenn 16 WR 6-1 193 Kentucky 4 7/31/1984
Jeanty, Rashad 93 LB 6-2 245 Central Florida 4 4/17/1983
Johnson, Brandon 59 LB 6-5 245 Louisville 4 4/5/1983
Mays, Corey 51 LB 6-1 245 Notre Dame 4 11/27/1983

Unsigned Player (Bengals have exclusive rights)
* Rookie
Coats, Daniel 49 FB/TE 6-3 264 Brigham Young 3 4/16/1984
Harris, Orien 95 DT 6-3 300 Miami (FL) 2 6/3/1983

I know this sounds nuts, but would you resign Thornton and put him at DE for a super discount contract???

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Happy/HappyWave.gif

Redsfaithful
02-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Thornton as a backup would be fine with me.

Anyone think Ryan Fitzgerald gets resigned? Will be interesting to see what they do with their backup QB position.

I really hope they can get Chris Crocker resigned, he seemed like a good fit. And Shayne Graham too. He might be pricey for a kicker, but the last thing I want to see is the Benagls waste time starting over with the kicking game.

LoganBuck
02-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Daugherty said that the Bengals are about 28 Million under the cap right now.

This is different than in earlier years where they never had cap room, the only remaining big contracts are Palmer, Johnson, Odom, Geathers, Levi Jones, and recent first round draft choices. IIRC, only Palmer, Johnson, and Odom have large cap numbers.

Redsfaithful
02-07-2009, 01:24 PM
I actually think the Bengals will sign some free agents this year to fill holes. I wouldn't expect anything earth shattering, but Kevin Hardy / Tory James types circa 2003, sure.

Redhook
02-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Thornton as a backup would be fine with me.

Anyone think Ryan Fitzgerald gets resigned? Will be interesting to see what they do with their backup QB position.

I really hope they can get Chris Crocker resigned, he seemed like a good fit. And Shayne Graham too. He might be pricey for a kicker, but the last thing I want to see is the Benagls waste time starting over with the kicking game.

Thornton being a backup is fine with me as well. I just hope the Bengals sign some more guys so he never has to start.

I hope Crocker comes back as well. With him, Ndukwe, and White the Bengals have some decent safeties.

Graham is as good as gone. He's going to Florida.

Mario-Rijo
02-07-2009, 03:34 PM
I think beyond TJ and Graham Brandon Johnson is an semi-important re-sign, he had a really good season. Crocker and Benson played well but I'd be careful with what you commit to them. It sounds like they are talking to Andrews people afterall which is a bit surprising.

camisadelgolf
02-07-2009, 04:32 PM
I wonder how much more cap room the Bengals could free up by cutting Chris Perry and a couple others. Does anyone happen to know a site where I could find information like that?

WMR
02-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Sorry, I want John Thornton far, far away from the Bungles.

Mario-Rijo
02-08-2009, 01:48 AM
I wonder how much more cap room the Bengals could free up by cutting Chris Perry and a couple others. Does anyone happen to know a site where I could find information like that?

I used this last season some it's pretty sweet, however it appears the guy running the page hasn't updated it for quite some time. But it does have a virtual GM feature on it. Maybe if you emailed the guy running the site he could help. FWIW though I believe Perry's contract runs through '09 and at a base salary of 1 million, so it probably ain't gonna hurt us none to cut him and might save a few hundred thousand. It's a no brainer obviously.

His e-mail Phatcat@whodeymail.com

The site:
Bengals Cap (http://cap.go-bengals.com/#)

Tony Cloninger
02-08-2009, 02:27 PM
They should forget Andrews...that guy does not want to be here and plays like it.

They should go get a Center with good credentials....a leader who will not be pushed around. A good backup QB who actually can pass the ball downfield.

Depth on the OL.......and WR's can be had for a good price and give you a 1,000 yard season...productive seasons without breaking the cap.

Drafting more WR's who cannot come in and play now...and even Chad and Pickens took about a year or 2....to do anything....will not help at all.

WVRed
02-08-2009, 08:21 PM
My first round wish list:
OT-Michael Oher
OT-Andre Smith
DT-BJ Raji
DE-Brian Orapko

Second round:
A center.

Yachtzee
02-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Daugherty said that the Bengals are about 28 Million under the cap right now.

This is different than in earlier years where they never had cap room, the only remaining big contracts are Palmer, Johnson, Odom, Geathers, Levi Jones, and recent first round draft choices. IIRC, only Palmer, Johnson, and Odom have large cap numbers.

Actually, I think they've had cap room in the past. It's just that they tend to do something unwise with the cap room, like tear up Chad Johnson's contract and give him an extension with another big signing bonus. Mike Brown operates under a "let's take care of our own" mentality that invariably results in using up excess cap space in writing new contracts for players already on the team rather than going out and signing free agents who would help fill some holes.

LoganBuck
02-09-2009, 06:36 AM
Actually, I think they've had cap room in the past. It's just that they tend to do something unwise with the cap room, like tear up Chad Johnson's contract and give him an extension with another big signing bonus. Mike Brown operates under a "let's take care of our own" mentality that invariably results in using up excess cap space in writing new contracts for players already on the team rather than going out and signing free agents who would help fill some holes.

Graham, TJ, Benson, and Andrews are the only real candidates to be brought back. Graham will make Top 5-10 money at his position, TJ will take top 5 money, Benson will veteran compensation at his position which is a couple million, who knows on Andrews, plus draft pick pay. The potential for them to use up much of the money on their own is there. I just don't see it happening.

Yachtzee
02-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Graham, TJ, Benson, and Andrews are the only real candidates to be brought back. Graham will make Top 5-10 money at his position, TJ will take top 5 money, Benson will veteran compensation at his position which is a couple million, who knows on Andrews, plus draft pick pay. The potential for them to use up much of the money on their own is there. I just don't see it happening.

They don't necessarily need to be players whose contracts are up for MB to resign them. He redid CJ's contract a few times well before it was time.

icehole3
02-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Teams are beginning to lop off heads heading into free agency, dont be surprised if the Bengals dont cut Levi or some other dead weight.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

LoganBuck
02-09-2009, 11:59 PM
They don't necessarily need to be players whose contracts are up for MB to resign them. He redid CJ's contract a few times well before it was time.

I know, but at this point who on the roster deserves a new bigger deal? I can't come up with anyone.

camisadelgolf
02-10-2009, 03:30 AM
I know, but at this point who on the roster deserves a new bigger deal? I can't come up with anyone.
I believe they've talked to Whitworth, but that's the only guy I could think of.

Boss-Hog
02-10-2009, 06:45 AM
I believe they've talked to Whitworth, but that's the only guy I could think of.
Whitworth signed an extension last season.

camisadelgolf
02-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Whitworth signed an extension last season.
Wow, I totally missed that. :all_cohol

icehole3
02-12-2009, 03:56 AM
Ocho Stupido is on the trading Block

per rotoworld

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Headlines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=139132

I dont think Mikey boy will pull the trigger, because that would require a thought process

WVRed
02-12-2009, 11:06 AM
per Drew Rosenhaus. I think he is trying to stir up drama like he does every year.

Mario-Rijo
02-12-2009, 12:21 PM
per Drew Rosenhaus. I think he is trying to stir up drama like he does every year.

So that's how a trade gets done in the NFL these days huh? Rosenhaus e-mails all NFL teams notifying them of his players current availability. One interesting thing too me, he doesn't do this unless it's his players wish. Maybe Chad and TJ are both history afterall. Some people will clap about it but it will set this franchise back IMO. Trade Chad straight up for Anquan and sign Antonio Bryant to start alongside him.

Mario-Rijo
02-12-2009, 01:16 PM
TJ a no go for camp if franchised? Ya know what after a comment like that I franchise his butt anyhow and after most teams have spent their cash I take the tag off him if he doesn't show for camp. Anyone know what the date is to remove the tag or be stuck with said player?

Bengals not likely to tag Houshmandzadeh
COMMENT: Should the Bengals use the franchise tag on T.J.?
By Carlos "Big C" Holmes

Staff Writer

Thursday, February 12, 2009

The dark cloud looming over the Cincinnati Bengals has continued to cast a shadow over the organization this offseason, and will likely do so until after free agency when some of the cloudiness is expected to clear. However, the forecast is calling for stormy conditions when the NFL's free agency period begins Feb. 27.

The Bengals organization will be faced with some tough decisions during this time, but none tougher than deciding what to do with the team's brightest star wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who is set to hit the open market.

The team's choices are indeed limited. It's either sign the receiver to a long-term deal before the deadline, place the franchise tag on the player or lose him.

During a phone interview with Houshmandzadeh on Tuesday night, Feb. 10, he was forthcoming about his future with the Bengals and how all the talk of becoming a free agent is affecting him.

"It's not affecting me at all," he said. "We'll see what happens on the 27th and go from there. I'll have some idea when the 19th rolls around of what's going to happen. When those things come around then things will become a lot clearer."

Houshmandzadeh is currently working out in California preparing for next season and will be joined by fellow teammate Chris Henry today, Feb. 12.

There have been reports that Houshmandzadeh is unhappy with his situation in Cincinnati and is ready to distance himself from the dysfunctional family. Some things are true, some not so true. In fact, the receiver would welcome the chance to remain with the Bengals but things would have to be done the right way.

"It would be cool to remain with the Bengals because I got my start there," Houshmandzadeh said. "I'm not a person that prefers lots of change in my life, but if change has to happen, then change has to happen.

"When things like this are ongoing then obviously there are going to be some difference of opinions on your ability. That's the big thing and whatever happens, happens."

The Bengals would have to pay Houshmandzadeh $9.88 million in salary for the 2009 season if they where to slap the franchise tag on him.

"I don't want any part of the tag," he said. "The more I think about, I don't think I'll be franchised. It's a lot of money. If you franchise somebody what are you saying about the player? Obviously, you think he is that type of player, and if you think he's that type of player then you're franchising him.

"That shows you within itself that OK we think he's one of the better players and we're going to franchise him. If that's the case give him a contract like your franchising him. That's how I see it and don't see the franchise thing happening."

Freeze Tag

Houshmandzadeh was very blunt about what would take place if he is designated the team's franchise player.

"Coach Lewis made an emphasis of wanting guys at the offseason programs, on the field sessions and things of that nature. If I get franchised I'm not going to be there," he said.

"So it goes against everything that the coaches want. You can't have the coach come out and say one thing and do another. If you do, then you're not going to have the cohesiveness he said he wanted when the season ended."

Houshmandzadeh stated that some of the blame for the Bengals dismal 2008 season was placed on him and Chad Ocho Cinco by the coach for their lack of participation in voluntary offseason programs. He reiterated that things weren't going to change this offseason if he receives the tag.

Houshmandzadeh said that as a player you want to be there, but you have to do what is best for you.

It looks like déjà vu all over again for the Bengals.

Stakes are high?

As far as talks of a new contract, everything remains status quo. However, Houshmandzadeh did have a conversation with Bengals chief negotiator Troy Blackburn nearly two weeks ago, who expressed interest in possibly re-signing the receiver. Yet there has been no contact between the Bengals organization and Houshmandzadeh's agent, Kennard McGuire.

The Bengals are notorious for dragging their feet in contract negotiations. But this could turn out to be one of those cases where if you snooze, you lose.

No doubt Houshmandzadeh will draw a lot of attention on the open market and the Bengals would essentially come out as losers in this scenario.

There is more than meets the eye with Houshmandzadeh and other NFL teams know it. Many try to label the receiver as being one-dimensional by saying he's nothing more that a slot receiver.

That's far from the truth. The reason for seeing Houshmandzadeh line up in the slot as much is the inability of Ocho Cinco, Henry and others to play the position.

Houshmandzadeh has proven to be one tough hombre playing in the slot, but the team's offense has restricted him from showing off his true ability as an outside receiver.

Other teams are fully aware what Houshmandzadeh brings to the table not on the football field but in the locker room.

With the free agent period vastly approaching, Bengal fans began to ponder life without T.J. One thing is for certain, the Bengals are a worse team without him.

WMR
02-12-2009, 01:19 PM
I would definitely franchise him now.

WMR
02-12-2009, 01:24 PM
One other thing: Can someone explain how the free agent period is "vastly" approaching?

camisadelgolf
02-12-2009, 02:18 PM
One other thing: Can someone explain how the free agent period is "vastly" approaching?
:D I'd like to hear "Big C"'s explanation for that one, too.

LoganBuck
02-12-2009, 09:04 PM

You use the same finger to type "f" and "v".

WVRed
02-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Should be interesting to note that the Bengals picked up punter Ryan Plackenmeier off waivers from the Redskins.

Danny Serafini
02-13-2009, 11:11 PM
I knew Kyle Larson was having a bad year, but I didn't realize he was dead last. Ouch.

icehole3
02-14-2009, 07:07 AM
Should be interesting to note that the Bengals picked up punter Ryan Plackenmeier off waivers from the Redskins.

time for a change, he was horrible and doesnt belong in the NFL

JBChance
02-14-2009, 11:54 PM
time for a change, he was horrible and doesnt belong in the NFL

Absolutely correct. I'm not sure this guy from Washington is the answer, either. It's a start

JBChance
02-15-2009, 12:02 AM
Ocho Stupido is on the trading Block

per rotoworld

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Hea...=NFL&hl=139132

I dont think Mikey boy will pull the trigger, because that would require a thought process

If Chad goes, we have to franchise TJ. Palmer needs to be real comfortable w/ his receivers. He needs that precision timing. If both of them go, It'll take a while for him to adjust.

I know that TJ will hate to be franchised, but, what are the choices really.

LoganBuck
02-15-2009, 03:43 PM
If Chad goes, we have to franchise TJ. Palmer needs to be real comfortable w/ his receivers. He needs that precision timing. If both of them go, It'll take a while for him to adjust.

I know that TJ will hate to be franchised, but, what are the choices really.

I don't know how true that is, because Palmer hasn't played with them, for any length of time since 2007. They weren't on the same page in the few games they played together in 2008. Chad and TJ both skipped offseason workouts last year, and were "injured" during training camp. They are not a "precision" Rolex. At this point they look like a Rolex that was left in traffic and run over a few times, expensive, broken, and creaky.

JBChance
02-15-2009, 05:06 PM
I don't know how true that is, because Palmer hasn't played with them, for any length of time since 2007. They weren't on the same page in the few games they played together in 2008. Chad and TJ both skipped offseason workouts last year, and were "injured" during training camp. They are not a "precision" Rolex. At this point they look like a Rolex that was left in traffic and run over a few times, expensive, broken, and creaky.

That's my point; Palmer needs that familiarity. In the last seasons (some in '06, some of '07, all of '08) they weren't on same page. When that was the case, Palmer struggled.

I just think that we have a better chance for him to sync up with them than if we try to use all new wideouts and bring them up to speed. He has a better chance of getting back the chemistry with guys he knows (and extremely successful with) than starting over, IMO.

We have to face it that one or the other will be gone. It'll be a disaster if both of them are not there. We will have zippo in experience.

LoganBuck
02-15-2009, 11:05 PM
That's my point; Palmer needs that familiarity. In the last seasons (some in '06, some of '07, all of '08) they weren't on same page. When that was the case, Palmer struggled.

I just think that we have a better chance for him to sync up with them than if we try to use all new wideouts and bring them up to speed. He has a better chance of getting back the chemistry with guys he knows (and extremely successful with) than starting over, IMO.

We have to face it that one or the other will be gone. It'll be a disaster if both of them are not there. We will have zippo in experience.

The question you need to ask: Would the Steelers bring them back?

Do the Steelers make a habit of paying 30 somethings big bucks? Should the current Bengals team?

Mario-Rijo
02-16-2009, 01:16 AM

Do the Steelers make a habit of paying 30 somethings big bucks? Should the current Bengals team?

Until they have guys ready to step in I'd say yes on a player by player basis. TJ right now is an important cog. The last thing we need is Palmer throwing the ball to Henry, Caldwell and Simpson in '09. '10 might be realistic however.

icehole3
02-16-2009, 06:53 AM
Until they have guys ready to step in I'd say yes on a player by player basis. TJ right now is an important cog. The last thing we need is Palmer throwing the ball to Henry, Caldwell and Simpson in '09. '10 might be realistic however.

you honestly think Mike brown is going to give TJ 30-40 million for 3-4 years, I was be stunned, theyre going to let him walk and I can see them signing some second tier free agent that they can get cheaper like a Nate Washington in the 4-5 million range.

Hoosier Red
02-16-2009, 10:53 AM
I agree with P-Doc's column.

A lot of Marvin's credibility when he came was gained by letting Takeo Spikes go. If you don't want to be hear, don't let the door hit you on the way out. People thought we'd never replace his playmaking, and Kevin Hardy was a poor answer, but I say let Chad go, I say let TJ go.

You let those two go, you'll have greater credibility to focus on improving the rest of the team.

OesterPoster
02-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Well, the Bengals franchised Shayne Graham today. I can't decide if that is some sort of shrewd move, or just more idiotic nonsense from Mikey and Katie.

camisadelgolf
02-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Mike Brown, you make me do this:
............................................______ __
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:”........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Mario-Rijo
02-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Well, the Bengals franchised Shayne Graham today. I can't decide if that is some sort of shrewd move, or just more idiotic nonsense from Mikey and Katie.

Hmm, judging from this piece moving forward just became reality. Buh-bye TJ!

Bengals opt for Graham
By GEOFF HOBSON
February 16, 2009

Updated: 4 p.m.
The Bengals' first major move of the offseason Monday all but guaranteed kicker Shayne Graham's services for the 2009 season and wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh's entry into free agency.

When he heard that the Bengals had given Graham the franchise tag, Houshmandzadeh jacked the odds at him playing elsewhere in 2009 to "99.2 percent."

Graham told the Bengals public relations department he had no comment.

Graham
In Houshmandzadeh and Graham, the Bengals are looking at their two most consistent players of the last five seasons. Graham, who became the Bengals' first Pro Bowl kicker in 2005, has a slew of Bengals' records while moving into second on the all-time scoring list with 682 points, behind only Jim Breech's 1,151.

In franchising Graham, the Bengals had to tender him a one-year deal worth nearly $2.5 million and drop the idea for franchising Houshmandzadeh at $9.88 million.

For the second time in five years the Bengals have decided to give Graham a number worthy of one of the top five kickers in the league. The $2.5 million is the average of the current top five kicking salaries. When the Bengals matched Jacksonville's five-year, $6.5 million offer to Graham during restricted free agency in March of 2004, the $1.3 million average was also top five range.

Graham is coming off an 87.5 percent season on field goals (21-for-24) that mirrors his Bengals' all-time best 87.5 percent (154-for-176) for his career in Cincinnati.

Graham is permitted to talk to other teams when free agency starts. But the Bengals can match the offer. If they decline, that club would have to give the Bengals its first-round choices in the 2009 and 2010 NFL Drafts.

If Graham signs the one-year offer, the $2.48 million tag is guaranteed and he and the Bengals are still permitted to agree on an extension before July 15.

Houshmandzadeh said he would consider the Bengals if they offer him "a fair deal," once free agency opens. But he has said in the past that going by history that hasn't happened yet.

"I didn't go to the last two voluntary workouts because I felt like I was underpaid compared to what my peers were getting," said Houshmandzadeh, who signed a four-year deal for roughly $3 million per year before the 2005 season.

As early as the first 15 minutes of the offseason Houshmandzadeh said he would defy the tag and not report to the Bengals for the offseason workouts, which he also didn't do last season with a year left on the deal. When he went on national radio last week to shop his wares, it became clear the Bengals were in a longshot to sign him before free agency, although it appears they plan to jump into the fray when other teams seek his services.

The move cost Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer some money. Houshmandzadeh said he and his wife went on a Valentine's Day respite with the Palmers to Las Vegas, but Palmer lost the wager when he bet Houshmandzadeh that he'd be tagged.

"I got to call him now," Houshmandzadeh said, "and tell him he owes me money."

Houshmandzadeh, who turns 32 this Sept. 26, probably had his age working against him for the tag. Still, he has become the club's third all-time leading receiver, became the first Bengal to lead the NFL in receiving with 112 catches in 2007, and finished with a NFL-best 31 catches on third down, a category where he is a perennial top five performer.

But Graham, 31, has also dominated his portion of the game. He ranks fourth all-time in the NFL in career field goal accuracy (85.6 percent), and he holds numerous other Bengals career, season and game records:

Points in a season (131). Field goals in a season (31). Field goals in a game (seven). Consecutive field goals made (21). Season field-goal percentage (91.2). Consecutive PATs made (158).

The only smears on his resume are two high profile-misses, one of which came this year and cost the Bengals a game and Donovan McNabb his sanity.

A 47-yard miss in the last seconds of overtime gave the Bengals a rare tie against the Eagles back on Nov. 16 on what was his first career try in OT. But it was Graham's 39-yard miss against Pittsburgh in the last seconds of the 2006 finale that turned out to cost the Bengals the playoffs.

Yet his performance under the gun is only slightly under his career numbers. With the chance to take the lead in the fourth quarter, Graham is 7-for-9, and with the chance to tie the game in the fourth quarter he's 3-for-4.

"Shayne has consistently performed at a high level for us, and we expect that same performance in 2009 and hopefully beyond, said Bengals coach Marvin Lewis in a news release. Well continue to speak with Shayne and his representatives about signing a longer-term deal.

" We will also continue to talk with several of our other pending free agents in an ongoing attempt to resign them. Some will want to test their value in the market, and we of course will look at the market for possible new players. But as Ive said before, the best value for all sides tends to be when a team re-signs its own key free agents, and we will make every attempt to re-sign the players we consider most important for 2009."

Graham is one of the most high-profile Bengals in the Cincinnati community, particularly with current and former military personnel, as well as children.

The Kicks for Kids program provides a wide range of assistance for at-risk children in Greater Cincinnati, and he has been a board member of the Cincinnati FreeStore/FoodBank. In 2008, he helped organize the nations most successful Taste of the NFL event, raising more than $170,000 for meals for the hungry.

icehole3
02-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Well there you go, TJ is free to go and they could offer him 20 million a year and I think he still leaves, I think TJ and Chad both feel like theyre in prison, so its time for TJ to move on and I wouldnt be hurt if Chad was traded although that would take some mental capability that this front office doesnt have.

Matt700wlw
02-16-2009, 04:30 PM
I was against trading Chad last offseason, because I was in "send a message" mode....but they're not going to find a better deal that they could have gotten from the Redskins.

His value sunk like the stock market this season.

Johnny Footstool
02-16-2009, 05:51 PM
So, do the Bengals win 2 games next season, or 3?

camisadelgolf
02-16-2009, 09:15 PM
So, do the Bengals win 2 games next season, or 3?
Two. Three if the Lions are on the schedule in addition to the Browns.

WVRed
02-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Well, my guess is TJ ends up in Philly.

I have a feeling we will end up trading Chad and drafting Michael Crabtree.

JBChance
02-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Two. Three if the Lions are on the schedule in addition to the Browns.

If I weren't crying so hard, I'd be laughing.

JBChance
02-16-2009, 10:39 PM

How old is Hines Ward? James Harrison? Casey Hampton? Marvel Smith?

Teams like the Steelers are constantly making good personnel moves, based on individual players, not just because it's a habit.

Teams like the Bengals get rid of quality players and draft Ahmad Brooks, Odell Thurman, or Chris Henry.

I'm tired of the Bengals letting quality free agents go (see: Eric Steinbach, Madieu Williams, Andre Frazier) and keeping/ drafting/ signing the wrong guys (see: Levi Jones, Antwan Odom, Stacy Andrews).

And now we franchise.......drum roll please............

the kicker. Don't get me wrong, Graham has been a great kicker. But that's what he is - a kicker. Does the NFL suddenly get a 7-point field goal? How many crossing routes will he catch from Palmer?

:bang:

cincrazy
02-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Good to know we've franchised Graham, who is great until the game is on the line, when he inevitably pushes it wide right. Fantastic news. We lose our most consistent offensive player, and we franchise our KICKER.

Sometimes I consider disowning this team. Why should I care when ownership is completely inept and isn't interested in winning, but rather in maintaing the bottom line.

LoganBuck
02-16-2009, 11:48 PM
How old is Hines Ward? James Harrison? Casey Hampton? Marvel Smith?

Teams like the Steelers are constantly making good personnel moves, based on individual players, not just because it's a habit.

Teams like the Bengals get rid of quality players and draft Ahmad Brooks, Odell Thurman, or Chris Henry.

I'm tired of the Bengals letting quality free agents go (see: Eric Steinbach, Madieu Williams, Andre Frazier) and keeping/ drafting/ signing the wrong guys (see: Levi Jones, Antwan Odom, Stacy Andrews).

And now we franchise.......drum roll please............

the kicker. Don't get me wrong, Graham has been a great kicker. But that's what he is - a kicker. De the NFL suddenly get a 7-point field goal? How many crossing routes will get catch from Palmer?

:bang:

Ward --- 32
Harrison --- 30
Hampton --- 31
Smith --- 30

TJ --- 32 and looking for a four year contract. PASS

The Bengals can't commit that much money to the Wide Receiver position and be that old at the same time. TJ will be cut from whatever team signs him in two years. Wide Receivers don't age gracefully.

JBChance
02-17-2009, 02:27 AM
Ward --- 32
Harrison --- 30
Hampton --- 31
Smith --- 30

TJ --- 32 and looking for a four year contract. PASS

The Bengals can't commit that much money to the Wide Receiver position and be that old at the same time. TJ will be cut from whatever team signs him in two years. Wide Receivers don't age gracefully.

You're right - there are many wideouts that don't age gracefully. Then there are many that do: Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Randy Moss, TO, Donald Driver, Lavernues Coles, Chris Chambers, Tory Holt, Mushin Muhammad are all guys the same age or older than TJ. Any of those guys getting cut? There are a few of them that might not get contracts, but those guys are 3-4 yrs. older than TJ.

To say TJ will be cut in two years is definitely jumping the gun. I think he was under utilized in the beginning of his NFL career and he didn't have a hard, 4 yr. type career at a major college. He should have some gas in the tank.

Besides, who says I'd give him a 4yr. deal, anyhow. I would franchise him. The reason? we don't have anyone to go in his place. Caldwell you say? Palmer hasn't thrown to him and he has so little experience. Simpson? He may be a never-will-be project. Holt? can't stay healthy and he drops the ball. Chapman? another training room frequent flier who always is healthy at the beginning of the season, then pulls a hammy. Henry? he'll be in jail. Please NO.

We can't draft our way out of the receiver mess, either. It is extremely rare for a wideout to be NFL ready out of college. They need time to adjust to the speed and complexity of the game.

This is another case of the Bengals punting as usual. Franchise the kicker. Awesome. Can he kick field goals from our 35? (that's as close as he's going to get). Maybe he can kick another playoff opportunity wide right this year.

Oh man, I must be delusional. I said Bengals and playoff opportunity in the same post. Doh!

:explode:

Playadlc
02-17-2009, 03:07 AM
Logan is right. It's simply not a smart move to sign Housh to a long term contract.

It's time to move on.

icehole3
02-17-2009, 04:08 AM
anyone remember all the hoopla over Dewayne Robertson, sometimes you do have to be careful with the cap space and think long term on these things and if a guy really doesnt want to be here let him go.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Dewayne Robertson-DL- Broncos Feb. 16 - 8:06 pm et

Broncos released DLs Dewayne Robertson and John Engelberger, LBs Jamie Winborn and Niko Koutouvides, TE Nate Jackson, and SS Marquand Manuel.
The moves save a cool $22.2M under the salary cap. Robertson's cap figure was $16M, a ridiculous amount for a league-average wave tackle with bum knees. The No. 4 overall pick in 2003, Robertson is 27 but may not have more than a season left in him. The Broncos kept him on the roster last year despite Robertson failing every physical they put him through. Josh McDaniels is cleaning house with the other Shanahan-era holdovers.

icehole3
02-17-2009, 04:48 AM
Bengals looking at Saturday???

http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnewstoday/20090214/?pg=31&pm=1&u1=friend

JBChance
02-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Logan is right. It's simply not a smart move to sign Housh to a long term contract.

It's time to move on.

I agree. I would have franchised him.

However, that's now impossible. That's what I don't like the most. If we would have franchised him, we had some options. Now, he's gone.

So, since we obviously are moving on, what's you guys' suggestion on the offense, then. If we lose both Ocho Wacko and TJ, what's the solution? Do we get aggressive after some free agents (oh no - delusional again ;)) or do we try to catch lightning in a bottle, go all Detroit Lions, and draft Crabtree (completely ignoring the obvious needs on both lines)?

Not meaning to be incredulous, but this is the Bengals. They had one of the most powerful offenses in the NFL and they completely mis-managed it to its current state - in 3 short years. Actually 2 years, if you look at '08 as a utter failure; Which I do - offensively speaking.

BTW, I hope, as I always do, that they'll prove me wrong, someday.

:pray:

MWM
02-17-2009, 11:26 AM
The Bengals just franchised a kicker. Bwahahahahaha. Seriously, a kicker????? This is so funny you just have to laugh. This is the final thing that has convinced me Mike Brown is not serious in what he does. He's sitting back intentionally toying with people just for kicks. He just wants to get a rise out of people. He must have been bored lately, so he thought he'd push things a little. That's the only explanation that makes any sense.

Danny Serafini
02-17-2009, 11:29 AM
It could be worse, the Falcons franchised their punter.

Hoosier Red
02-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Actually franchising kickers and punters makes sense. You guarantee you'll have the player for next year, and it doesn't cost nearly as much as to franchise a QB, WR, or RB.

As for WR's not aging gracefully. Marvin Harrison is actually an example of this. He lasted two years longer than most, but last two years he's been a shell of his former self.

2008 Indianapolis Colts 15 60 636 10.6 42.4 67T 5 4 2 41 1

2007 Indianapolis Colts 5 20 247 12.4 49.4 42 1 3 1 12 0

2006 Indianapolis Colts 16 95 1,366 14.4 85.4 68T 12 18 4 78 1

2005 Indianapolis Colts 15 82 1,146 14.0 76.4 80T 12 14 3 59 0

icehole3
02-17-2009, 12:43 PM
A good kicker is hard to find thats why Carney, Kasay or Elam just keep going down the list are in the 15-20th season and now youre seeing punters franchised. Franchising Graham is normal these days.

BuckeyeRedleg
02-17-2009, 01:07 PM
If you already know that you aren't bringing TJ back, there really is nobody else to franchise other than Graham.

Normally, I'm one to take any opportunity I can to trash Marvin and Mikey, but in this case I don't think this was a bad idea.

WMR
02-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Why didn't they franchise and trade TJ rather than just let him go w/o receiving any compensation? (Similar to what the Pats are doing with Cassel, although they may also consider holding onto him depending on Brady's rehab)

TeamSelig
02-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Any chance we sign Fred Taylor?

Hoosier Red
02-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Gawd I hope not, which means it will probably happen.

icehole3
02-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Why didn't they franchise and trade TJ rather than just let him go w/o receiving any compensation? (Similar to what the Pats are doing with Cassel, although they may also consider holding onto him depending on Brady's rehab)

first youre thinking out of the box when you say trade, this is the same team that passed on New Orleans whole draft and took Akili Smith and was offered Washington's 1st for 2 years and passed, second TJ wouldnt been this years Chad if they wouldve franchised him, me personally Im tired of the crybaby crap every year and I dont care if they go 0-16, just let the crying stop already.

Redsfaithful
02-18-2009, 06:43 AM
I don't have a problem franchising Graham, I'm not really interested in the Bengals trying to find another decent kicker. There are way more pressing needs.

icehole3
02-18-2009, 07:11 AM
I don't have a problem franchising Graham, I'm not really interested in the Bengals trying to find another decent kicker. There are way more pressing needs.

I agree imagine the Bengals with their 1 scout trying to draft the right kicker, everybody forgets how long it took them to get Graham, anyone remember Travis Dorsch

LoganBuck
02-18-2009, 01:40 PM
I agree imagine the Bengals with their 1 scout trying to draft the right kicker, everybody forgets how long it took them to get Graham, anyone remember Travis Dorsch

I was fooled on that one, I thought Dorsch was going to be good.

Epic fail

camisadelgolf
02-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Graham is arguably the best active kicker in the NFL, so he was probably seeking to be the highest-paid K in the NFL. By franchising him, the Bengals might have saved some money.

WMR
02-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Graham is arguably the best active kicker in the NFL, so he was probably seeking to be the highest-paid K in the NFL. By franchising him, the Bengals might have saved some money.

What's his FG% in the playoffs? :D

camisadelgolf
02-18-2009, 06:49 PM
What's his FG% in the playoffs? :D
He's one-for-one on FGs and two-for-two on XPs. You can't beat perfection. ;)

In clutch situations, however, his FG percentage is typically as good as Brad St. Louis' snaps. According to bengals.com, with the chance to take the lead in the fourth quarter, Graham is 7-for-9, and with the chance to tie the game in the fourth quarter he's 3-for-4.

WMR
02-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Hold on... am I going crazy or did he not miss a FG in the playoff game versus the Stealers in 2005???

Boss-Hog
02-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Hold on... am I going crazy or did he not miss a FG in the playoff game versus the Stealers in 2005???
Are you thinking of the botched snap immediately before half?

WMR
02-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Are you thinking of the botched snap immediately before half?

Is that what happened? I was thinking it was a shank by Shane for some reason. (And I was at the game! Haha, pretty sad)

CrackerJack
02-18-2009, 10:22 PM

And Lord knows the Bengals' are good at doing that. $11 mil+ under last year and $25mm under the cap currently. (bef rookie/injury settlement dollars)

Yep couldn't have signed him last season after cutting Rudi and Willie, and using that cap room this year instead. I guess they weren't sure yet if he was worth keeping then? <shrug>

I don't see anything changing.

Boss-Hog
02-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Is that what happened? I was thinking it was a shank by Shane for some reason. (And I was at the game! Haha, pretty sad)
http://www.whiotv.com/sports/5936835/detail.html

Are you thinking of the next season when Graham's miss against the Steelers sent the game to overtime where, after a Santonio Holmes waltz through our secondary, we were eliminated from playoff contention?

WVRed
02-18-2009, 10:39 PM
http://www.whiotv.com/sports/5936835/detail.html

Are you thinking of the next season when Graham's miss against the Steelers sent the game to overtime where, after a Santonio Holmes waltz through our secondary, we were eliminated from playoff contention?

I can't speak for Willy Mo, but I am thinking about the week before against Denver when the FG was botched.

JBChance
02-18-2009, 10:42 PM

Nate Kaeding and Robbie Gould say :wave:

Boss-Hog
02-18-2009, 11:03 PM
I can't speak for Willy Mo, but I am thinking about the week before against Denver when the FG was botched.
Yeah, as much as I'd like to be able to, who can forget that play? However, the one I was referring to was in the Bengals-Steelers playoff game in January 2006:

The Bengals had a chance to take a 20-14 lead on Shayne Graham’s 33-yard field goal. Long snapper Brad St. Louis was a little high and holder Kyle Larson’s hands were a little late, and Graham had to fall on the muff at the Steelers 34 with that 17-14 half-time lead.

JBChance
02-18-2009, 11:10 PM

Are you saying its easier to find a Pro Bowl receiver than a decent kicker?

I would have to call finding Palmer someone to throw to a pressing need.

Look, I have no problem with the theory of franchising Graham; he is a good/ great kicker. Once they passed on TJ, he was the only FA worth tagging.

IMO, they shouldn't have passed on tagging TJ.

camisadelgolf
02-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Nate Kaeding and Robbie Gould say :wave
Well, 'arguably' was the operative term.

MWM
02-18-2009, 11:46 PM
I just find it funny that the kicker is the "franchise player." Given the current dynamics, maybe it was the right thing to do, but it's an indictment on the organization that they have no one else who would warrant a franchise tag. Maybe there's a precedent for it. I'm not sure, and don't have the time to find out, how many other teams have used the tag for a kicker.

Redsfaithful
02-19-2009, 12:09 AM
Are you saying its easier to find a Pro Bowl receiver than a decent kicker?

I would have to call finding Palmer someone to throw to a pressing need.

Look, I have no problem with the theory of franchising Graham; he is a good/ great kicker. Once they passed on TJ, he was the only FA worth tagging.

IMO, they shouldn't have passed on tagging TJ.

Normally no, but for the Bengals in recent history, yeah actually. They've had great wide receivers for a good while, but I remember a lot of struggling with the kicking game between Doug Pelfrey and Shayne Graham that I'd rather not revisit.

Almost $10 mil for TJ was just too much. If they end up under the cap this year, which they certainly might since they are the Bengals, then the money should have obviously just been spent on TJ, but if they spend up to the cap like a normal NFL team then I think franchising Graham was the way to go.

They still have Chad and Chris Henry to go with two pretty high WR draft picks from last year, if Carson is healthy and the line is decent (lot of ifs I know) I don't see receiver being a problem.

JBChance
02-19-2009, 12:31 AM
Well, 'arguably' was the operative term.

Fair enough.

In fact, I agree with the point that Graham is a great kicker, one of the best in the NFL.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but it seems, to me, that the Bengals have had extraordinary luck with finding kickers. We went from Breech (great kicker) to Pelfrey (good kicker) to Rackers (inconsistent w/us, but now much improved - All Pro in '05) to Graham (great kicker).

That's it. Maybe that's the strategy; forget about everything else, we got a kicker!

Some sample new Bengals Slogans:

The Cincinnati Bengals - We Kick When We're Down

Bengal Fever - KICK IT!

Its 3 For Me!

The Cincinnati Bengals - Kicking Great Since 1968

The Cincinnati Bengals - Its a Kick!

camisadelgolf
02-19-2009, 03:46 AM
Fair enough.

In fact, I agree with the point that Graham is a great kicker, one of the best in the NFL.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but it seems, to me, that the Bengals have had extraordinary luck with finding kickers. We went from Breech (great kicker) to Pelfrey (good kicker) to Rackers (inconsistent w/us, but now much improved - All Pro in '05) to Graham (great kicker).

That's it. Maybe that's the strategy; forget about everything else, we got a kicker!

Some sample new Bengals Slogans:

The Cincinnati Bengals - We Kick When We're Down

Bengal Fever - KICK IT!

Its 3 For Me!

The Cincinnati Bengals - Kicking Great Since 1968

The Cincinnati Bengals - Its a Kick!

Watching a Bengals game feels like getting kicked in the balls!

JBChance
02-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Watching a Bengals game feels like getting kicked in the balls!

The Cincinnati Bengals - We Kick Balls!

cincrazy
02-20-2009, 12:31 AM
The average FG% for NFL kickers this year was like 81%. That's a guesstimate and I can't remember where I read that, but it was close to that number. Simply put, decent kickers aren't hard to find. Pro Bowl wide receivers are a lot more difficult to acquire, and if you have one, it makes good sense to keep him. TJ makes this offense run. Without him........... oh boy.

Screwball
02-20-2009, 02:52 AM
TJ makes this offense run. Without him........... oh boy.

I'd say Carson Palmer makes this offense run. Without him - as we just saw last year - oh boy.

cincrazy
02-20-2009, 07:18 AM
I'd say Carson Palmer makes this offense run. Without him - as we just saw last year - oh boy.

Correct, but we also saw what happens when Carson isn't surrounded with any talent. He still had TJ those first 4 games, but Chad never showed up all year, the running back situation was horrid, and the O-line was a disaster. Now without TJ, the situation is even more dire.

BuckeyeRedleg
02-20-2009, 08:22 AM
I just find it funny that the kicker is the "franchise player." Given the current dynamics, maybe it was the right thing to do, but it's an indictment on the organization that they have no one else who would warrant a franchise tag. Maybe there's a precedent for it. I'm not sure, and don't have the time to find out, how many other teams have used the tag for a kicker.

I'm still irritated that they let Steinbach go.

MWM
02-20-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm still irritated that they let Steinbach go.

No question. They let Steinback go and hold on to Chad Johnson. Frankly, it's just an organization that has no idea how to run a football team. Any other industry, a Mike Brown run organization would have gone broke years ago.

WMR
02-20-2009, 11:05 AM
No question. They let Steinback go and hold on to Chad Johnson. Frankly, it's just an organization that has no idea how to run a football team. Any other industry, a Mike Brown run organization would have gone broke years ago.

:lol: :laugh:

Can the Bungles get a bailout?

Better yet: Can the fans get a bailout from this organization?

Newport Red
02-20-2009, 12:33 PM
:lol: :laugh:

Can the Bungles get a bailout?

Better yet: Can the fans get a bailout from this organization?

Mayor Mallory is in Washingtom today. Maybe he's trying.

camisadelgolf
02-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Mayor Mallory is in Washingtom today. Maybe he's trying.
The guy can't even throw a baseball right, let alone a fit to congress. We're screwed for yet another season. :D

Newport Red
02-20-2009, 04:02 PM
The guy can't even throw a baseball right, let alone a fit to congress. We're screwed for yet another season. :D

Maybe the home plate ump that day can throw him out of the White House as well.:D

CTA513
02-22-2009, 12:58 AM
It looks like LB Rashad Jeanty will be back for next season.

$ Million Man
By GEOFF HOBSON
February 21, 2009

10:15 p.m.

INDIANAPOLIS _ The man whose teammates have nicknamed "Hard Knocks," has taken another step in his improbable journey from the CFL and is now a $1 million player.

Make that $1.5 million.

A NFL source said Saturday night at the NFL scouting combine that the Bengals have tendered SAM linebacker Rashad Jeanty a one-year, $1.5 million deal to keep him as a restricted free agent. If a team signs Jeanty to an offer sheet and the Bengals don't match, the club would be compensated a second-round pick.

But they want him back, particularly after a blood-and-guts season he played all 16 games despite sustaining plantar fasciitis on the bottom of his foot halfway through the season.

It was also just a year after a 16-inch titanium rod was placed from the top of his knee to his foot after multiple stress fractures were discovered in his tibia during the 2007 preseason. Jeanty missed the first five games but came back to play special teams and was in the starting lineup in the ninth game.

For his efforts his teammates voted him the team's Ed Block Courage Award winner this year, a season he finished fourth on the team in tackles with 97 and second with 15 special teams tackles. Heading into his fourth season, Jeanty, who turns 26 the week before the draft, is considered one of the Bengals' best and most physical run players. But the coaches believe he has improved as an all-around backer and ended the season playing more on passing downs.

It's a good possibility the Bengals are going to give the same tender to backup WILL backer Brandon Johnson. They have four other restricteds (linebacker Corey Mays, safety John Busing, wide receiver Glenn Holt, and running back DeDe Dorsey that may not get tendered because they came into the NFL as college free agents and would only require compensation if they were offered the $1.5 million figure.

Source: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7517

icehole3
02-26-2009, 07:22 AM
sounds like Saturday would rather sign with the Steelers, oh well

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_613269.html

JBChance
02-26-2009, 11:42 AM
sounds like Saturday would rather sign with the Steelers, oh well

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_613269.html

It'll be interesting to see if they want him. The seem to already have an improving O-line. But, it obviously could be better with him.

I wish that we could have that sort of pull to get FA's to want to come and play. He'd even switch positions to do it. We can only dream about something like that; It'll take a lot of winning to get that kind of consideration from players.

wolfboy
02-26-2009, 12:48 PM

Very well stated.

Playadlc
02-27-2009, 07:35 AM
DERRICK IN DEMAND
Posted by Mike Florio on February 27, 2009, 5:30 a.m. EST

As expected, running back Derrick Ward is one of the early hot commodities in free agency.

Ward, who along with Brandon Jacobs rushed for more than 1,000 yards during the 2008 season, already has received contract offers from five teams.

The Buccaneers, Rams, Broncos, Bengals, and Lions are all in the mix, per a league source.

Despite some apparent interest on the part of the Giants in trying to keep the Earth, Wind, and Fire trio of Jacobs, Ward, and Ahmad Bradshaw, Ward apparently wants to be someone’s every-down back — and to be paid accordingly.

Our advice? Be careful what you wish for, because things start breaking on those guys who carry the ball 20-plus times per game.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/27/derrick-in-demand/

Matt700wlw
02-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Saturday stays in Indy.

I don't have a link on me, but it's out there. :)

Matt700wlw
02-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Supposedly Stacey Andrews is an Eagle.....for $7 million a year....

WVRed
02-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Not Bengals related, but the Brownies traded Souljah to the Buccaneers for undisclosed draft picks.

WMR
02-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Hafta call him a huge bust for the Brownies.

icehole3
02-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Hafta call him a huge bust for the Brownies.

I play fantasy football and he's always picked up every year, he's hurt a lot but when healthy he's a quality TE.

WMR
02-27-2009, 12:45 PM
I play fantasy football and he's always picked up every year, he's hurt a lot but when healthy he's a quality TE.

You don't trade franchise tight ends for draft picks. That's what Cleveland thought they were drafting.

When healthy? :laugh: Is that a joke? ;)

CTA513
02-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Supposedly Stacey Andrews is an Eagle.....for $7 million a year....

:jump:

CTA513
02-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Safety Chris Crocker re-signed with the Bengals today:

Bengals safety Chris Crocker said last month he wanted to sign in the first day of free agency and agent Tony Paige confirmed that his client did when he re-upped in Cincinnati for a four-year deal worth $10 million with $3.5 million guaranteed.

"He's respected there, he's wanted and he's comfortable in the system," Paige said. "There were other teams interested, but he felt the best fit was going back to Cincinnati."

Source: Bengals.com

icehole3
02-27-2009, 04:53 PM
You don't trade franchise tight ends for draft picks. That's what Cleveland thought they were drafting.

When healthy? :laugh: Is that a joke? ;)

He had the problem with the motorcycle incident Ok, he is hardly a bust, you can call him a bust, I just disagree with you on that, he's definitely better than any TE we have.

this from rotoworld

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=140248

Buccaneers acquire TE Winslow for draft picks
Buccaneers acquired TE Kellen Winslow from the Browns in exchange for undisclosed draft picks.
We'll guess it's a second-round pick and a late-rounder. The Bucs will likely give Winslow a new contract too, so it's a costly move. They needed the pass-catching help badly, though, and Winslow is still only 25 even if he's had knee problems in the past. He's not a great bet to play deep into his 30s, and he's going from one QB controversy to another shaky situation. We don't see it particularly helping his fantasy outlook. Winslow has averaged over five catches a game the last three seasons and is one of the league's top five receiving tight ends. Feb. 27 - 12:23 pm et

Redhook
02-27-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm pretty happy the Bengals signed Crocker.
I'm pretty happy the Bengals didn't sign Andrews.
I'd be happy if they signed Benson.
I'd be tickled if they signed the Center, Brown, from Baltimore.

Mario-Rijo
02-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Good stuff here, covers a lot of ground early on. I really like Derrick Ward and IMO he's the better fit for this offense than Benson and Ward seems to know it. I hope we get Ward and TJ in the fold and we go get an OC or OG in FA. If so I like what we are doing.

ShareThis
From street to sweet
By GEOFF HOBSON
February 26, 2009
ShareThis

Updated: 2-27-09, 6:45 p.m.
Bengals safety Chris Crocker said last month he wanted to sign in the first day of free agency and agent Tony Paige confirmed that his client did when he re-upped in Cincinnati for a four-year deal worth $10 million with $3.5 million guaranteed.

"He's respected there, he's wanted and he's comfortable in the system," Paige said. "There were other teams interested, but he felt the best fit was going back to Cincinnati."

Also in the fold on a one-year deal is running back DeDe Dorsey, according to his agent.

Crocker
After the Bengals signed him off the street in late October, Crocker arguably became the Bengals defensive Most Valuable Player in the final eight games with safety play head coach Marvin Lewis called the best he's seen in his six years coaching the team.

Crocker said he had a couple of visits lined up, but in the end he felt it was best to stay.

"If it's not broke," he said, "don't fix it."

Besides a concussion-hit on Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes and a fumble-causing shot that set the tone of the Washington victory, Crocker finished with 48 tackles, 1.5 sacks, an interception and that forced fumble against the Redskins, as well as six passes defensed.

"I recommended him because I thought he was better than anyone we were looking at," said Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer of the decision to sign Crocker Oct. 30. "Hopefully he can keep playing like he did in the last five games."

Injuries to veteran safety Dexter Jackson and rookie safety Corey Lynch dictated the signing, and now it's unclear if Jackson will be back in a starting secondary of Crocker and Chinedum Ndukwe and backups that include Lynch, Marvin White, Kyries Hebert and Mike Doss.

Zimmer coached Crocker in Atlanta in 2007 and then they went their separate ways. Asked Friday if he's surprised at how he went from the street to $3.5 million guaranteed, Crocker said, "I'm still shocked Miami cut me (on Oct. 21)."

"Zim is the mastermind when it comes to my game," Crocker said. "He really knows how to use me well. Good players are everywhere. You just have to know how to maximize their abilities and Zim has done that with me.

"How many teams have I been on? Three? Four? I'm trying to use all my experiences and the places I've been to shape what I'm trying to do. Last year was definitely exciting."

The working number is four. Cleveland from 2003-2005. Atlanta 2006-2007. Miami 2008. Bengals 2008-.

"It's good to be back," he said. "I guess I never left."

In other developments on the first day of free agency:

A league source has confirmed that Bengals right tackle Stacy Andrews has agreed to a deal with the Eagles pending the passing of a physical and he planned to meet the Philadelphia media. Earlier in the day ProFootballTalk.com reported that Andrews re-joined brother Shawn Andrews in Philadelphia with a deal giving him $7 million per year.

With Cedric Benson out looking, so are the Bengals, and Giants running back Derrick Ward told a Sirius NFL Radio audience Friday he's visiting Cincinnati this weekend.

Alex Marvez of FoxSports.com reported that Bengals wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh is headed for a visit to Seattle.
Report of the Andrews deal comes a season after he made $7.5 million as the franchise player starting the first 15 games at right tackle. With four minutes left in the next to last game, Andrews tore the ACL, underwent reconstructive knee surgery last month, and there is speculation he'll miss the first six weeks of the regular season.

With a Bengals doctor doing the surgery and the Bengals running his rehab, it looked like a deal was coming together. The Bengals have been trying to sign Andrews since 2006, but the Eagles always seemed to be looming with Shawn Andrews becoming a back-to-back Pro Bowl guard.

The move helps the Eagles not only replace Jon Runyan, but allows Shawn to play next to Stacy on the right side. Shawn Andrews missed the last training camp with a bout of depression.

The move means moves for the Bengals. With Andrews uncertain if he'd play early in the season, it's believed their first option is to move second-year left tackle Anthony Collins to right tackle and left guard Andrew Whitworth to left tackle. That may put them in the market for a veteran guard and heighten the possibilty of taking a left tackle with the sixth pick.

N.Y. Giants running back Derrick Ward (Getty Images)
The 5-11, 228-pound Ward is "The Wind" in the Giants "Earth, Wind and Fire" backfield that just locked up the Earth for the long-term in Brandon Jacobs.

Ward still gained 1,000 yards (1,025 yards on just 182 carries) with 5.6 per carry this past season in New York's No. 1 ranked running game. In his four previous seasons, Ward, 28, had just a career total of 725.

The Bengals have said they want to re-sign Benson, but head coach Marvin Lewis said that agent Eugene Parker told the club they were going to the market.

Ward sounded upbeat about the Bengals on the radio show with Adam Schein and John Riggins.

They have great leadership in Carson Palmer. They have great talent. They have a lot of stuff going for them. Every team needs a couple of pieces to reach that next level," Ward said. " I remember when I came into the league with the Giants we were just a couple of pieces away from being a great team and we showed that throughout the years. It just depends on the situation, depends on the coaching staff.

" Coach Lewis, hes done a heck of a job out there in Cincinnati," Ward said. " Granted, they had a down year last year and the year before but I think that had a lot to do with injuries and stuff like that. But Im pretty sure everybody is healthy and ready to go and its a league where anybody can win, anybody can go to the Super Bowl. The last two years has proved that. I really feel that they are an up-and-coming team and big things should happen for them this year.

Although Ward agent Drew Rosenhaus has had to deal with the Bengals over wide receiver Chad Ocho Cinco's moods, he's an agent that never has problems making a deal and has made several with the Bengals.

ProFootballTalk.com reported that the Buccaneers, Rams, Broncos and Lions are also in the mix for Ward.

FoxSports.com reported that Denver has also set up visits for running backs J.J. Arrington and Correll Buckhalter.

Contacted in the first two hours of free agency, Houshmandzadeh didn't want to elaborate on his interview on ESPN, but he did say that he could be on a plane Friday and that the Bengals are still in the mix. He said Thursday night he wants a deal by Saturday night no matter where.

Houshmandzadeh told the network he's most interested in playing for the Giants, Eagles, Seahawks and Vikings. Other teams linked with him are Tampa Bay and Tennessee.

He's reportedly accompanied by wife Kaci on the trip to the Seahawks' facility, a geographic lure since both are from the Los Angeles area.

According to ProFootballTalk.com, Houshmandzadeh texted a Philadelphia radio station offering his services to the Eagles.

Houshmandzadeh
The deal to keep an eye on seems to be the one Houshmandzadeh mentioned last week in Indianapolis, the $8 million per year inked by Cowboys wide receiver Roy Williams.

Houshmandzadeh said on Thursday his agent had been talking to the Bengals but not enough to take him off the market.

Meanwhile, Philadelphia native John Thornton said he expected to be unemployed Friday when he makes his radio debut with Homer jock C. Trent Rosecrans at 10 a.m on Cincinnati's 1530-AM.

Thornton, a Bengals Opening Day defensive tackle the last six seasons, said he heard from the club Thursday but doubts he'll return this season in the backup tackle-end role he finished '08.

His agent has told him he has some other opportunities, but Thornton won't rule out the Bengals.

"I'm not in a hurry," he said. "I'm not in a rush."

As for Houshmandzadeh, Thornton said, "He'll get four teams that are interested, and that's all you want: the ability to make a choice. He's going to get a good deal."

Mario-Rijo
02-27-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm pretty happy the Bengals signed Crocker.
I'm pretty happy the Bengals didn't sign Andrews.
I'd be happy if they signed Benson.
I'd be tickled if they signed the Center, Brown, from Baltimore.

According to Icehole's link there the Rams and Brown have a deal that's "imminent", which they reported at 5:01 EST. I hope not he's a center I would like to see in stripes but you can't have it all I suppose.

icehole3
02-27-2009, 08:03 PM
I think the Bengals are done signing big name free agents, Mikey Boy tried that last year with Odom, they seem to be happy with grabbing second tier try hard guys like they did with Johnson and Blackstock, I also feel like they think Zimmer knows what he is doing and I wouldnt be surprised if they give the no.1 pick to the defense because he's turning that unit around, then Zimmer grabs Raji or Orakpo just my opinion.

Redhook
02-27-2009, 09:52 PM
I also feel like they think Zimmer knows what he is doing and I wouldnt be surprised if they give the no.1 pick to the defense because he's turning that unit around, then Zimmer grabs Raji or Orakpo just my opinion.

I agree. I also think they can get an immediate difference maker on defense as opposed to an offensive lineman. At this point in time, I'd like the Bengals to get Raji the run-stuffer in the first round. After that, they can get an offensive lineman in the 2nd round.

WVRed
02-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Bengals lose another FA, this time Ryan Fitzpatrick to Buffalo.

Boss-Hog
02-28-2009, 09:59 AM
As a Bengals fan, for once, I'm actually somewhat encourage by the first 24 hours free agency. What bothers me was Geoff Hobson's predictions that the team would use their available cap room to attempt to resign all of their own free agents (Andrews, Crocker, Benson and Fitzpatrick) and that would be it. In fact, he said "If they can re-sign running back Cedric Benson, safety Chris Crocker, backup quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, and right tackle Stacy Andrews, that's going to be all she wrote."

Does he not realize the same four players were part of the dynamite 4-11-1 team last year? At what point do we intend to get better? Anyway, that's why I was glad to see Andrews (who I've never cared for, particularly at $7 million a year) and Fitzpatrick goes elsewhere. I'd much prefer Derrick Ward over Cedric Benson, too. I have no problem with the Crocker deal...even if last year turns out to be a career year, it's a manageable contract.

camisadelgolf
02-28-2009, 11:00 AM
As a Bengals fan, for once, I'm actually somewhat encourage by the first 24 hours free agency. What bothers me was Geoff Hobson's predictions that the team would use their available cap room to attempt to resign all of their own free agents (Andrews, Crocker, Benson and Fitzpatrick) and that would be it. In fact, he said "If they can re-sign running back Cedric Benson, safety Chris Crocker, backup quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, and right tackle Stacy Andrews, that's going to be all she wrote."

Does he not realize the same four players were part of the dynamite 4-11-1 team last year? At what point do we intend to get better? Anyway, that's why I was glad to see Andrews (who I've never cared for, particularly at $7 million a year) and Fitzpatrick goes elsewhere. I'd much prefer Derrick Ward over Cedric Benson, too. I have no problem with the Crocker deal...even if last year turns out to be a career year, it's a manageable contract.
I don't disagree with you, but bringing back Palmer should be worth at least two wins. Having increased team chemistry might be worth another win or two. If the Bengals draft well (lol), that could make another big difference, too. And if the Bengals actually catch a break or two, which doesn't seem to have happened at all in the past couple years, they could be a winning team. Of course, I shouldn't expect a playoff appearance with this team, but if those things happen, I don't think it's unreasonable to say the Bengals will compete for a playoff spot.

Boss-Hog
02-28-2009, 11:23 AM
I don't disagree with you, but bringing back Palmer should be worth at least two wins. Having increased team chemistry might be worth another win or two. If the Bengals draft well (lol), that could make another big difference, too. And if the Bengals actually catch a break or two, which doesn't seem to have happened at all in the past couple years, they could be a winning team. Of course, I shouldn't expect a playoff appearance with this team, but if those things happen, I don't think it's unreasonable to say the Bengals will compete for a playoff spot.
I don't see them competing for anything until they get their offensive and defensive lines settled. JMO.

camisadelgolf
02-28-2009, 12:52 PM
I don't see them competing for anything until they get their offensive and defensive lines settled. JMO.
The D-line needs improvement, but I don't think it's in as much despair as some people want to believe. The O-line is in bad shape, but a good draft can go a long way toward repairing it. And if you're really optimistic, Levi Jones might perform closer to his old form next season.

Boss-Hog
02-28-2009, 01:48 PM
The D-line needs improvement, but I don't think it's in as much despair as some people want to believe. The O-line is in bad shape, but a good draft can go a long way toward repairing it. And if you're really optimistic, Levi Jones might perform closer to his old form next season.
In terms of rushing the passer, I think the D-Line is a major concern - particularly given what they're paying their underachieving ends. I think they have some pieces to work with on the O-Line, but I wouldn't count on Levi Jones to be part of any future plans. Honestly, he hasn't seemed right to me since he tried to come back too early from his initial knee injury several seasons ago and there's rumors he may be cut, anyway. If they take a tackle at sixth, that pretty much seals his departure.

Newport Red
02-28-2009, 05:05 PM
The move means moves for the Bengals. With Andrews uncertain if he'd play early in the season, it's believed their first option is to move second-year left tackle Anthony Collins to right tackle and left guard Andrew Whitworth to left tackle. That may put them in the market for a veteran guard and heighten the possibilty of taking a left tackle with the sixth pick

So Hobson is suggesting the Bengals are going to juggle an already lousy line so Bobbie Williams is the only player not learning a new position. Maybe they'll move Williams to center when the only veteran center left in free agency is Ghiaciuc. I'll bet Ghiaciuc re-signs because the Bengals want consistancy at the center position.

Maybe this is a reason the Bengals offensive free agents have signed with other teams or are still testing the market.

Newport Red
02-28-2009, 05:08 PM
In terms of rushing the passer, I think the D-Line is a major concern - particularly given what they're paying their underachieving ends. I think they have some pieces to work with on the O-Line, but I wouldn't count on Levi Jones to be part of any future plans. Honestly, he hasn't seemed right to me since he tried to come back too early from his initial knee injury several seasons ago and there's rumors he may be cut, anyway. If they take a tackle at sixth, that pretty much seals his departure.

FWIW, Justin Smith out sacked our overpriced projected starting defensive ends 7 to 5 last year.

WMR
02-28-2009, 05:14 PM
if the bengals don't address their offensive line in a major way this offseason, they deserve to lose every single game.

WVRed
02-28-2009, 06:13 PM

I think Levi hangs around until preseason cuts. My guess is if the Bengals take an offensive lineman, whoever it may be, he and Collins will likely battle it out for the other spot.

Matt700wlw
02-28-2009, 08:47 PM
The Bengals in Free Agency

http://www.unsw.edu.au/images/pad/2004/Crickets.jpg

forfreelin04
03-01-2009, 12:16 PM
From John Thorton's blog:

West coast won out
March 1st, 2009 | NFL

I’m now hearing that TJ to that west coast team is a done deal. Anything can happen before he puts that pen to the contract but as of right now it’s a done deal. So look for this story to officially break soon.

That West Coast team would be Seattle. John is hesitant to report much on it since ESPN hasn't reported it yet.

icehole3
03-02-2009, 07:03 AM
no calls for Girlcheck yet??? This is total BS, Im calling the Arena bowl right now!

CTA513
03-03-2009, 03:42 PM
The Bengals re-signed Benson today:

Benson signs
By GEOFF HOBSON
March 3, 2009

3:35 p.m.

The Bengals filled a major gap Tuesday when they re-signed their starting running back for the upcoming season a day after Cedric Benson visited the Texans, the club announced.

After joining the club with the benefit of no training camp after the season's fourth game, Benson finished the year with back-to-back 100-yard games that included the biggest rushing day by a Bengals back in 68 games when he went for 171 against Cleveland.

The move also opens up the first couple of rounds of the NFL Draft, where they now don't have to take a running back.

Benson, 26, shed his image as a moody player with off-field problems by becoming one of the few bright spots in the 4-11-1 season with the longest run (46) and longest catch (79).

Source: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7539

Mario-Rijo
03-03-2009, 03:56 PM
AND FINALLY
St. Louis could be looking to trade veterans Torry Holt and Orlando Pace, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. St. Louis could be looking for some late-round draft picks and might even consider trading them as a package deal. How about San Francisco? If the 49ers can sign Kurt Warner, they could all be reunited with Isaac Bruce. Maybe they got rid of Mike Martz too soon.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/02/roundup-cromartie-could-be-on-the-trading-block/

Torry Holt is the perfect fit for replacing Housh, go get him Bengals! I would normally love to have Orlando as well but he might be physically worse off than Levi so I'd pass there. A late round pick for Holt is an amazing deal to make for him. I know he isn't what he once was but he can still be very productive, especially in this offense.

HeatherC1212
03-03-2009, 03:58 PM
C.Trent has something up about the Benson signing too with more info to come later on.

http://www.1530homer.com/pages/ctrent.html

LoganBuck
03-03-2009, 03:59 PM
The Bengals re-signed Benson today:

CTR is saying 2 years 7million

IMO a good signing, low cost, low risk, and it maintains the chip that Benson carries on his shoulder. Perform well enough, and you get paid again.

bucksfan2
03-03-2009, 04:48 PM
It will be interesting to see how much is guaranteed. This also should point to the Bengals taking a back in the 3-5 range in the draft. IMO this is a good thing. There is great value in RB's last in the draft.

KoryMac5
03-03-2009, 04:57 PM
CTR is saying 2 years 7million

IMO a good signing, low cost, low risk, and it maintains the chip that Benson carries on his shoulder. Perform well enough, and you get paid again.

If it is 2 yrs 7 million expect a running back to be brought in through the draft hopefully someone in the 3rd or 4th round. Good move overall I would like to see what Benson can do in a full yr here.

Playadlc
03-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Coles imminent?
By GEOFF HOBSON
March 4, 2009

Head coach Marvin Lewis indciated that more moves are coming during Cedric Benson's news conference. In fact, he used the word "imminent." Asked if that pertained to wide receiver Laverneus Coles, he said, "I only said imminent.'"

Playadlc
03-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Coles signs with Bengals 4years 28mil

UKFlounder
03-04-2009, 03:59 PM
A solid move with Benson, very surprising with Coles. They are showing a bit more activity than I expected, so props on that.

We still need a center and other help, but this is a start.

camisadelgolf
03-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Instead of T.J., the Bengals now have a receiver with similar production, about the same age, on a shorter contract, and getting paid less money.

Have fun in Seattle, T.J. :D

joshnky
03-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Instead of T.J., the Bengals now have a receiver with similar production, about the same age, on a shorter contract, and getting paid less money.

Have fun in Seattle, T.J. :D

If the guaranteed money is less then this was a great move for the Bengals.

Eric_the_Red
03-04-2009, 04:43 PM
*sigh*....when will the Bengals learn?
Or, more appropriately, when will bengals fans learn?

I don't care if they signed Jerry Rice in his prime. The team would still be a loser with this offensive line. I'd bet $1 the organization doesn't do enough to remedy this very glaring concern.

Playadlc
03-04-2009, 04:49 PM
*sigh*....when will the Bengals learn?
Or, more appropriately, when will bengals fans learn?

I don't care if they signed Jerry Rice in his prime. The team would still be a loser with this offensive line. I'd bet $1 the organization doesn't do enough to remedy this very glaring concern.

While I agree, my favorite thing about Coles' game is his ability to run-block. He is one of the better blocking WR's in the NFL. Signing Coles will improve the Bengals run game. Plus, this signing makes a lot of sense if they plan to unload Chad.

We still have to find a center, though.

joshnky
03-04-2009, 05:09 PM
They'll upgrade the line in the draft. The Benson and Coles signings makes those positions less of a priority allowing them to draft heavily on both lines.

Given this signing, I'd be shocked if they don't take one of the top tackles in the first round and then center in the second (Wood?) or third.

BuckeyeRedleg
03-04-2009, 05:13 PM
They'll take and OT and C within the first three rounds of the draft.

DTCromer
03-04-2009, 05:58 PM
This guy is washed up.

Awful signing at an awful price. Good luck with continued mediocrity Mr. Brown and the rest of Cincinnati. This is why you suck.

Playadlc
03-04-2009, 06:12 PM
This guy is washed up.

Awful signing at an awful price. Good luck with continued mediocrity Mr. Brown and the rest of Cincinnati. This is why you suck.

Washed up? Coles had 70 catches last year for 850 yards (12.1 ypc) and 7 TD's.

BuckeyeRed27
03-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Washed up? Coles had 70 catches last year for 850 yards (12.1 ypc) and 7 TD's.

Agreed. He isn't washed up. Although in 4 years he will be

Playadlc
03-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Agreed. He isn't washed up. Although in 4 years he will be

If that's the case then the Bengals will release him before his contract is up.

Matt700wlw
03-04-2009, 06:19 PM
I like the move, but like others have said, the line must be addressed, either via free agency, the draft, or even both.

If it's not, it won't matter - this team will go nowhere...again.

DTCromer
03-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Just wait for this season. He's a cancer waiting to happen. He drops a lot of passes and is 1 or 2 years away completely fading away from the NFL.

This signing reeks of desperation.

forfreelin04
03-04-2009, 06:23 PM
I worry more about Carson being on the same page with a small WR. The Antonio Chatman experiment never seemed to pan out IMO. Hopefully that was because Chatman was a poor route runner and not because he is small.

forfreelin04
03-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Just wait for this season. He's a cancer waiting to happen. He drops a lot of passes and is 1 or 2 years away completely fading away from the NFL.

T.J. is that you?

Matt700wlw
03-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Just wait for this season. He's a cancer waiting to happen.

You could argue that most Bengals are given the franchise's track record... ;)

KoryMac5
03-04-2009, 07:11 PM

116 times thrown to 8 drops, I can live with those numbers. I would have liked to have kept TJ and the 7 million per year should have been offered at the beginning of last year. Unfortunately we are dealing with Mike Brown here. Much rather have a tandem of Coles and Cinco than Cinco and Henry.

WVRed
03-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Long term, not really a good signing.

Short term, Carson Palmer is going to be, if healthy, the best QB Coles has ever had throwing to him. If both hold up over the course of the season, I think Coles could have a 80-90 catch season with close to 1000 yards and over 5+ TD's. That and I think Chad would become a feature receiver again and possibly be happier.

Hoosier Red
03-04-2009, 08:03 PM
There is no long term in the NFL.

Especially if next year remains uncapped, they can move the bonus to next year if I'm not mistaken.

cincrazy
03-04-2009, 08:43 PM

T.J. is a cancer? Based on what?

WVRed
03-04-2009, 08:45 PM
T.J. is a cancer? Based on what?

I believe he was referring to Lavernaeus Coles.

cincrazy
03-04-2009, 08:51 PM
I believe he was referring to Lavernaeus Coles.

Ooooohhhhh ok. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

WVRed
03-04-2009, 08:58 PM
It should be noted that Lavernaeus Coles was involved in a shoplifting incident at a Dillards when he was at Florida State. Ironically enough, guess who else was involved?

Peter Warrick.:)

paintmered
03-04-2009, 09:02 PM
For some reason, I imagine hearing Al Michael's voice when I read "Lavernaeus Coles".

DTCromer
03-04-2009, 09:41 PM
It should be noted that Lavernaeus Coles was involved in a shoplifting incident at a Dillards when he was at Florida State. Ironically enough, guess who else was involved?

Peter Warrick.:)

Warrick was more involved than Coles and guess who FSU pinned the blame on?

DTCromer
03-04-2009, 09:43 PM
116 times thrown to 8 drops, I can live with those numbers. I would have liked to have kept TJ and the 7 million per year should have been offered at the beginning of last year. Unfortunately we are dealing with Mike Brown here. Much rather have a tandem of Coles and Cinco than Cinco and Henry.

Chad - Doesn't want to be in Cincy
Henry - 1 drink away from being banned for life
Coles - 1 concussion away from being out for a substantial amount of time given his past history. Not to mention his locker room presence

Eric_the_Red
03-04-2009, 10:27 PM
And Benson still needs to show me something. He averages 3.5 yards/carry. Rudi could've done that for us.

I am no more optimistic about next season than I was last season. I love the Bengals, but cannot allow myself to emotionally invest in this organization until it shows that it wants to WIN (not "be competitive").

LoganBuck
03-04-2009, 11:35 PM
I don't mind this move, especially as disaster insurance.

1. Replaces TJ
2. Provides insurance on Chad Ocho Loco
3. Provides insurance on Chris Drunky
4. Provides insurance against the young receivers being busts.

2, 3, and 4 are all very possible. I don't want Carson stuck throwing to Holt, Perry, and Watson.

JBChance
03-05-2009, 12:37 AM
If the argument is that we needed someone better than TJ for the money, I don't buy it. Coles is faster, and has a better YPC than TJ, but they are similar in age and talent. (although Coles wasn't high on most FA lists)

If the argument is that TJ needed to go because he decided that he didn't want to be here, then I can live with that. Coles, at least, should almost replace his production and stretch the field also. Its tremendously better then trying to rely on the young guys and the walking misdemeanor that is Chris Henry. At least they had a plan to replace TJ. That's more than I gave them credit for.

Redsfaithful
03-05-2009, 01:01 AM
Coles is the kind of signing a real life NFL team might make. I'm surprised.

camisadelgolf
03-05-2009, 02:15 AM
Coles is the kind of signing a real life NFL team might make. I'm surprised.
This. Seriously.

Obviously, the Bengals need to upgrade at several positions, but I really doubt the Bengals aren't trying to improve the offensive line. If you have an impact player willing to sign with your team, as long as the price is right, you sign him, and that's what the Bengals did. It's not like signing Coles will prevent the Bengals from signing an impact lineman they could have had at a reasonable price.

OesterPoster
03-05-2009, 06:57 AM
Man, I'm as negative as the next person when it comes to Mike Brown and his moves...but I can't complain about this one. It makes more sense than I'd actually like to give him credit for though.

At least this move helps prevent Mikey from doing something dumb and drafting Crabtree or Maclin in the 1st round...I hope.

blumj
03-05-2009, 07:19 AM
As a Pats fan, I'm glad Coles is no longer a Jet. He's a slippery little pest, if that helps.

icehole3
03-05-2009, 07:29 AM
Chad - Doesn't want to be in Cincy
Henry - 1 drink away from being banned for life
Coles - 1 concussion away from being out for a substantial amount of time given his past history. Not to mention his locker room presence

I see you throwing out these things, but I see no evidence, also you mentioned he drops a lot of balls thrown his way and the evidence was presented to you and you gloss over that. Im a big Mike Brown basher myself but in this instance he did something instead of nothing.

LoganBuck
03-05-2009, 07:37 AM
This. Seriously.

Obviously, the Bengals need to upgrade at several positions, but I really doubt the Bengals aren't trying to improve the offensive line. If you have an impact player willing to sign with your team, as long as the price is right, you sign him, and that's what the Bengals did. It's not like signing Coles will prevent the Bengals from signing an impact lineman they could have had at a reasonable price.

I agree. This move, plus the eventual move for a backup QB and maybe OL depth would be a good precursor to the draft. Their needs for the draft as I see them now

Tackle
Center
Rush End
Middle Linebacker
Running Back
Tight End

icehole3
03-05-2009, 07:44 AM
these are the Centers that are left

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2009C.php

Grey Ruegamer, Giants. Age: 33.
One of the more capable backup offensive linemen in the NFL.

Duke Preston, Bills. Age: 27.
In addition to sucking royally, Duke Preston ruined Buffalo's chances of kicking a field goal in the last seconds of the first half of the season finale because he started a fight with some of the Patriots defenders.

Eric Ghiaciuc, Bengals. Age: 28.
Eric Ghiaciuc was a major liability for the Bengals in 2008. He'll sign on as a backup somewhere.

Melvin Fowler, Bills. Age: 30.
A poor center coming off shoulder surgery. The only positive Melvin Fowler brings to the table is starting experience (37 starts last three seasons). He'll be an OK backup somewhere.

Al Johnson, Dolphins. Age: 30.
Nick Leckey, Rams. Age: 27.
Jeremy Newberry, Chargers. Age: 33.
Justin Geisinger, Redskins. Age: 27.
Lennie Friedman, Browns. Age: 33.
Brett Romberg, Rams. Age: 29.
Ben Wilkerson (ERFA), Falcons. Age: 26. - Re-signed with Falcons
Chris White, Texans. Age: 26. - Re-signed with Texans
LeCharles Bentley, Browns. Age: 29.
Andy McCollum, Lions. Age: 39.
Cory Withrow, Rams. Age: 34.
Steve McKinney, Seahawks. Age: 33.
Mike Flynn, Patriots. Age: 35.

LoganBuck
03-05-2009, 07:46 AM
these are the Centers that are left

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2009C.php

Grey Ruegamer, Giants. Age: 33.
One of the more capable backup offensive linemen in the NFL.

Duke Preston, Bills. Age: 27.
In addition to sucking royally, Duke Preston ruined Buffalo's chances of kicking a field goal in the last seconds of the first half of the season finale because he started a fight with some of the Patriots defenders.

Eric Ghiaciuc, Bengals. Age: 28.
Eric Ghiaciuc was a major liability for the Bengals in 2008. He'll sign on as a backup somewhere.

Melvin Fowler, Bills. Age: 30.
A poor center coming off shoulder surgery. The only positive Melvin Fowler brings to the table is starting experience (37 starts last three seasons). He'll be an OK backup somewhere.

Al Johnson, Dolphins. Age: 30.
Nick Leckey, Rams. Age: 27.
Jeremy Newberry, Chargers. Age: 33.
Justin Geisinger, Redskins. Age: 27.
Lennie Friedman, Browns. Age: 33.
Brett Romberg, Rams. Age: 29.
Ben Wilkerson (ERFA), Falcons. Age: 26. - Re-signed with Falcons
Chris White, Texans. Age: 26. - Re-signed with Texans
LeCharles Bentley, Browns. Age: 29.
Andy McCollum, Lions. Age: 39.
Cory Withrow, Rams. Age: 34.
Steve McKinney, Seahawks. Age: 33.
Mike Flynn, Patriots. Age: 35.

I think the likely pick of a Center at the top of round 2 is a better option than any of those guys.

WVRed
03-05-2009, 10:39 AM
FWIW, Scout.com has their second round mock draft posted. They have the Bengals taking Robert Ayers(DE) from Tennessee over Alex Mack.

WMR
03-05-2009, 10:59 AM
If Alex Mack is available in the 2nd and the Bungles don't draft him... ... ...

I'll laugh.

joshnky
03-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Quarterback signings heated up Wednesday and it is likely to continue Thursday. The Bengals are expected to reach agreement with former 49ers starting quarterback J.T. O’Sullivan, who would take the place of Ryan Fitzpatrick, who signed with Buffalo.

While backup QB isn't a critical position O'Sullivan should at least be an upgrade over Fitzgerald. Really it doesn't matter much because you're not going to win without Carson Palmer.

DTCromer
03-05-2009, 11:34 AM
I see you throwing out these things, but I see no evidence, also you mentioned he drops a lot of balls thrown his way and the evidence was presented to you and you gloss over that. Im a big Mike Brown basher myself but in this instance he did something instead of nothing.

I don't see me throwing out anything. Coles is overrated. Everyone points to his 70 catches and blah blah blah from years past. The guy's best years are behind him and you want to pay him 7 million a year? TJ is a much better receiver than Coles and he was essentially the #1 guy this year with a non-existent Chad and everyone else pretty much gone.

BuckeyeRedleg
03-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Man, I'm as negative as the next person when it comes to Mike Brown and his moves...but I can't complain about this one. It makes more sense than I'd actually like to give him credit for though.

At least this move helps prevent Mikey from doing something dumb and drafting Crabtree or Maclin in the 1st round...I hope.

This echoes my sentiments exactly.

I must say (even as a glass-half-empty follower of this franchise), that in my opinion, the Bengals have had a very solid off-season to this point.

I like Coles and losing Houshmandzadeh was inevitable. Considering his age, I did not feel comfortable paying him what Seattle did. Stacey Andrews and Eric Ghiaciuk were shown the door and that is good. Cedric Benson was brought back and although I'm not totally sold on him, I think it's a good gamble, especially with the current lack of depth at RB. A RB taken in the 4th round would be a good next step to ensure depth (and maybe even a future replacement) and good ones can be had in that part of the draft. The offensive line is very important, as this club will go nowhere unless they can protect their franchise QB. On the bright side, by re-signing Benson and signing Coles, they have made it very possible to remedy the OL with two of the first three picks in the draft.

Continuity goes a long way and they have ensured that the 12th ranked defense from last year is all returning. Peko, Sims, Shirley, and Harris form a solid interior defensive line. Geathers, Odom, Rucker, and Fanene appear average to me and I hope depth is addressed at this position in the draft (even if there is a bunch of money invested in Geathers and Odom), but overall an average to better than average D-line, with potential to grow.

The LB's were very good last year, and they all return. It is obvious that the Bengals are content with this position, as they made sure they re-signed all of their free agents (Jeanty, Johnson, and Blackstock) and they didn't have to break the bank for any of them. With Rivers coming back at 100% next year, this group will only get better and they have solid depth. A MLB might be a decent target in the draft, but they aren't desperate here.

The secondary looks good as well, especially with the re-signing of Crocker. They are a solid three-deep at CB (Joseph, Hall, Jones) and S (Ndukwe, White, Crocker). With the talent that is already signed here, I see no reason to address anything at these positions in the draft or the rest of free agency.

Now, if you've read any of my posts on the Bengals the past few years, it would be no surprise to you that I'm not a huge fan of Marvin Lewis. However, there is something to say about continuity and that's what the Bengals have by bringing him back. He's already been to the depths of hell with this team and there is no reason he cannot use that to grow as a coach. In my opinion the fact that he's still here can only be a positive in the way he runs things in 2009.

What's that saying?

"What does not kill you can only make you stronger."

I agree with that and think it applies here with Marvin.

This was basically a 4 to 5 win club last year. Think about that for a second. With all the things going against it, they still managed to win 4-5 games, in a tough division, and playing a brutal schedule. They lost their franchise QB. They set a record for most injuries in a season and all to very key personnel. They had arguably the toughest schedule in the NFL (with 4 games vs. the Ravens and Superbowl champ, Steelers). With all that going against them, I don't think it's crazy to think they can win 4-5 more in 2009.

In my opinion, if this club can get the best OT with the #6 pick, then grab a Center with either the 2nd or 3rd round pick, and then snag a RB early on day two, I have every confidence that the 2009 Cincinnati Bengals will win AT LEAST 9 games in 2009, with the potential to win as many as 11. That's right. I say buy and buy big on Bengals stock in 2009. This team is about ready to explode onto the scene and I will not be surprised by it when they do. If you just sit back and analyze everything, removing emotions and frustrations from last two decades, you can see it. It's not that far from happening. They got their franchise QB back. check. They play a schedule that is night and day compared to the one in 2008. check. They have re-signed key personnel and let the others go. check. I'm calling it right now. If this club can stay relatively healthy in 2009, I'm guaranteeing 9-11 wins (I'll go with 10) with a rising path that will take them even farther in 2010 and beyond.

You can feel free to archive this post and bring it back and rub it in my face in 9 months, but I'm telling you that you will not be able to do that. Sit back and enjoy the ride, because for the first time in a while, it's okay to feel good about the state of this franchise. And this is coming from one of the more realistic (negative) Bengal fans around that has told people the past few years that the Bengals were a bad team heading in the wrong direction. Heck, I think I predicted 5 wins before the 2008 season. I predicted 6-8 wins the previous two years before that. I have always been on target with this club, so this is not me just being a contrarian against the popular public opinion regarding this franchise.

So buy and buy big on the Bengals. Of course, I say all of this this as long as they don't do something stupid like taking a RB with the #6 pick, in which case forget about everything I've posted above. LOL.

WMR
03-05-2009, 11:53 AM
BuckeyeRedLeg:

"WITH THE SIXTH PICK IN THE NFL DRAFT, THE CINCINNATI BENGALS SELECT CHRIS WELLS FROM THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY."

:p:

BuckeyeRedleg
03-05-2009, 12:11 PM
BuckeyeRedLeg:

"WITH THE SIXTH PICK IN THE NFL DRAFT, THE CINCINNATI BENGALS SELECT CHRIS WELLS FROM THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY."

:p:

Dude, that might be the end for me. LOL. I love Beanie (just not for the Bengals), but I would not have a problem switching my allegiance to the Brownies.

They just can't be that stupid. That's another reason I'm happy Benson signed. I figure it protects the Bengals from themselves and some of their recent stupidity on draft day. I'm really hoping they've learned from some of those mistakes. [couch]Chris Perry[cough].

icehole3
03-05-2009, 12:28 PM
I don't see me throwing out anything. Coles is overrated. Everyone points to his 70 catches and blah blah blah from years past. The guy's best years are behind him and you want to pay him 7 million a year? TJ is a much better receiver than Coles and he was essentially the #1 guy this year with a non-existent Chad and everyone else pretty much gone.

he was under 10 yards a catch, I hardly call that a number one, he also wouldnt work with the team, Im sorry but TJ had some warts too, he aint the next coming of Larry Fitzgerald, he'll be OK and so will the Bengals, both teams will get 5 wins so calm down.

Redsfaithful
03-05-2009, 08:31 PM
If you just sit back and analyze everything, removing emotions and frustrations from last two decades, you can see it.

So tough to do, but I agree, I actually like the offseason. There's not a lot I would have done differently up to this point, especially if they are planning on drafting linemen in the first few rounds.

I am not saying this is a good idea, but they might be considering Santucci for center. I don't know much about him, but it's possible they were high on his prospects before he got hurt last preseason.

WMR
03-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Wonder if LeCharles Bentley has anything left in the tank. Was a stud b/f he got hurt.

WMR
03-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Dude, that might be the end for me. LOL. I love Beanie (just not for the Bengals), but I would not have a problem switching my allegiance to the Brownies.

They just can't be that stupid. That's another reason I'm happy Benson signed. I figure it protects the Bengals from themselves and some of their recent stupidity on draft day. I'm really hoping they've learned from some of those mistakes. [couch]Chris Perry[cough].

:D

I just had to post that. I really hope they get it right this draft.

Excellent post, btw. It's so difficult not to be cynical--sort of similar with the other pro team in Cincinnati--but the Bungles really do have the chance to make the playoffs next season if they play their cards right.

It's sort of like this off-season is a game of checkers... we can see the potential to line up a sweet triple jump if we make the right moves just a little bit longer ... can Mikey boy do it?

WVRed
03-06-2009, 12:45 AM
My dream draft:
1.Eugene Monroe(OT-Virginia)
2.Alex Mack(C-California)
3.Javon Ringer(RB-Michigan St.)
4.Pat White(QB/WR-WVU)

I could live with Ringer or Shonn Greene in the third round. I also think we need a backup QB to groom since I am liking the O'Sullivan signing less and less. White could also double over to wideout and kick returns, aka Randle El.

Other QB's I thought of are Hunter Cantwell, Graham Harrell, and Rhett Bomar.

JBChance
03-06-2009, 01:32 AM
My dream draft:
4.Pat White(QB/WR-WVU)

I could live with Ringer or Shonn Greene in the third round. I also think we need a backup QB to groom since I am liking the O'Sullivan signing less and less. White could also double over to wideout and kick returns, aka Randle El.

What about the DLine? I think we need some draft help there. I agree that we may need a RB for the future or another QB to groom, but the DLine is a more pressing need and should be priority #2 behind the OLine, IMO.

In the QB area, they clearly are banking on Palmer this season. O'Sullivan is what we could afford to get after the FA signings and still leaving cash for the draftees.

Redhook
03-06-2009, 07:45 AM
My dream draft:
4.Pat White(QB/WR-WVU)

I'd be happy with your top 3. I don't really want Pat White. I don't want the Bengals to draft any QB's or WR's this year.

BuckeyeRedleg
03-06-2009, 08:28 AM
1. Eugene Monroe(OT-Virginia)
2. Best DE on the board (Michael Johnson?)
3. Mack or the kid from Louisville
4. James Davis or top RB left on the board

WVRed
03-06-2009, 08:51 AM
I'd be happy with your top 3. I don't really want Pat White. I don't want the Bengals to draft any QB's or WR's this year.

I don't really care so much about wideout since we signed Coles.

Problem is, we are one Carson Palmer injury away from having JT O'Sullivan as our starting QB. We at least need somebody to groom for a backup role if that ever happens.

That and all mocks I have read have Mack gone by the second round.

chicoruiz
03-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Where is Connor Barwin projected to go at this point? If he were there when the Bengals round 3 pick came up, I'd have to seriously consider him.

schmidty622
03-06-2009, 09:49 AM
I would really like to see the Bengals bring a Tackle in during FA. They are having George Foster visit, and while he had a rough last two years he was a key part of a Bronco line that set records in 2006 if i remember correctly.

Bringing in a tackle that has starting experience would help immensely in the draft. Could open us up for a BJ Raji or Brian Orakpo Selection at 6 which would be awesome additions to the front 7.

bucksfan2
03-06-2009, 11:10 AM
I would really like to see the Bengals bring a Tackle in during FA. They are having George Foster visit, and while he had a rough last two years he was a key part of a Bronco line that set records in 2006 if i remember correctly.

Bringing in a tackle that has starting experience would help immensely in the draft. Could open us up for a BJ Raji or Brian Orakpo Selection at 6 which would be awesome additions to the front 7.

Even if they do sign Foster I think they still need to take OT in the draft. Foster may have some playing time left but it isn't much.

I want nothing to do with Raji or Orakpo. I heard someone describe Raji as a player would could turn into a solid DT down the road. He is an unfinished product who is climbing up draft boards which scares me. The one game where I watch Orakpo play for the entire games was against OSU and he didn't impress. I just don't see him as a dominant DE more like what the Bengals already have.

They need to address
OT, C, RB, and maybe DB later in the draft. If they pick a WR before the 5th round I will be rather upset.

LoganBuck
03-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Where is Connor Barwin projected to go at this point? If he were there when the Bengals round 3 pick came up, I'd have to seriously consider him.

Connor has a mid second round tag on him. It is conceivable that he could slip but I think it is more likely that he will climb draft boards. He had a good workout, he is a team player, and can either be a OLB or DE.

Playadlc
03-06-2009, 01:16 PM
This could be the funniest thing I have ever read....

NFL Rumor Central: Several teams still interested in Owens?t
You are signed into Insider and have access to this premium feature.
Friday, March 6
Several teams still interested in Owens?
Terrell Owens | Cowboys | Interested: Buccaneers? 49ers? Raiders? Chiefs? Colts? Packers? Lions? Broncos? Bengals? Buccaneers? Bills?
After the initial surprise of Terrell Owens' release had worn off yesterday, many teams began the process of declaring their non-interest in the standout wide receiver. By the end of the day, half of the league's 32 teams had made public statements indicating they would not be interested in signing the star. This leaves the problem of which teams that need help at wide receiver actually do want to roll the dice with Owens.

In a text message to ESPN, Owens' agent Drew Rosenhaus indicated "There are several teams that are interested in signing Terrell. I have been in negotiations with these teams. I will not identify these teams at this time. Terrell and I expect to have a deal in place by the end of next week if not sooner." ESPN's Chris Mortensen asked around to his league sources and identified just two teams that are considered a "maybe", those being the Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers.

In addition to the Raiders and the Denver Broncos, who expressed interest in T.O. during his last brush with free agency, there are four other likely destinations for Owens in the AFC: the Buffalo Bills, Cincinnati Bengals, Indianapolis Colts and Kansas City Chiefs. Buffalo is in need of a complement to Lee Evans and the team has been in talks with Laveranues Coles recently. Although Owens would be a dynamic addition to the team, it's not a great fit for him, given the team's poor quarterback play and the blue collar sensibilities of the fanbase.

The Bengals are left with a hole at wide receiver after they lost out on T.J. Houshmandzadeh, and based on their silence regarding Owens there must be some internal conversations going on regarding his potential with the team. With a healthy Carson Palmer returning in 2009, the Bengals would become an instant contender with the addition of T.O., and the weekly touchdown dance oneupmanship between Owens and Chad Ocho Cinco could result in a new record for fines issued to one team for the practice.

Indianapolis has to be considered a bit of a longshot given the current strength of their receiving corps, but the team has not yet stated it won't consider Owens and we'll keep the door open until the team shuts it. That leaves the Chiefs who have been one of the most active teams in free agency so far, and made a tsunami-level splash with the controversial trade for Matt Cassel. With Tony Gonzalez chomping at the bit to play on a championship-level team, an Owens signing would certainly send the Chiefs' offense to new heights, thereby acquiescing somewhat to the demands of the Pro Bowl tight end.

In the NFC, the prospects are less enticing. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are apparently still in the running given their silence on the topic, and with a considerable margin left under the salary cap Owens might be just one of the free agents they'll target in the coming weeks. However, with a shady situation at quarterback it's unlikely T.O. would want to get involved, especially when he'll be competing with franchised wideout Antonio Bryant and tight end Kellen Winslow for passes.

The one division of teams that has remained largely silent on Owens is the NFC North. Two writers for the Chicago Tribune have expressed heated arguments both in favor of the Bears signing Owens, and against the signing. The Green Bay Packers have not yet publicly established that they're out of the Owens picture, but a poll on the website of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel seems to be swaying overwhelming against the fans being in favor of that likelihood. With Aaron Rodgers having developed a fine chemistry with Greg Jennings and Co. last season, an addition of Owens is certainly a difficult sell. Lastly, the Detroit Lions are still in the running, and while they have indicated that the offense will be built around Calvin Johnson going forward, there is no legitimate second option behind Johnson.

As the oft-mentioned cliche goes, 30 NFL teams might not be interested, but it only takes two to make a market.

Playadlc
03-06-2009, 01:21 PM
I also love how he states that the Bills are still in talks with Laveranues Coles. Apparently ESPN didn't get the memo that Coles signed with the Bengals.

BuckeyeRedleg
03-06-2009, 01:24 PM
[B]The Bengals are left with a hole at wide receiver after they lost out on T.J. Houshmandzadeh, and based on their silence regarding Owens there must be some internal conversations going on regarding his potential with the team.

Who is the joker that decided to go with this story?

Whoever it is deserves to lose any media credential they possess.

ochre
03-06-2009, 01:41 PM
So, will Coles be rooming with Jason Shirley in training camp?

Hoosier Red
03-06-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm no expert on line play, but it seems as though if Collins can play well enough at LT, it will lessen the pressure on the 1st round draft pick and the rookie can play RT.

CTA513
03-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Connor has a mid second round tag on him. It is conceivable that he could slip but I think it is more likely that he will climb draft boards. He had a good workout, he is a team player, and can either be a OLB or DE.

I have a feeling the Patriots are going to draft him with one of the 3 second round draft picks they have.

LoganBuck
03-06-2009, 01:58 PM
I have a feeling the Patriots are going to draft him with one of the 3 second round draft picks they have.

I agree. They lost Vrabel to KC, I could see them taking Barwin to fill that same role.

schmidty622
03-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Even if they do sign Foster I think they still need to take OT in the draft. Foster may have some playing time left but it isn't much.

I want nothing to do with Raji or Orakpo. I heard someone describe Raji as a player would could turn into a solid DT down the road. He is an unfinished product who is climbing up draft boards which scares me. The one game where I watch Orakpo play for the entire games was against OSU and he didn't impress. I just don't see him as a dominant DE more like what the Bengals already have.

They need to address
OT, C, RB, and maybe DB later in the draft. If they pick a WR before the 5th round I will be rather upset.

I disagree. I think the front 7 has to be a major area of concern and something that needs addressed asap.

CTA513
03-06-2009, 03:27 PM
The Bengals cut safety Dexter Jackson today:

Safety exchange
By GEOFF HOBSON
March 6, 2009

3:10 p.m.

The re-signing of safety Chris Crocker has ended the Bengals career of Dexter Jackson by basically replacing the same $2 million-plus salary Jackson was to earn in 2009.

The Bengals released Jackson Friday, along with guard James Blair, cornerback Marcus Brown and defensive end Victor DeGrate.

Jackson, who turns 32 the week training camp starts, was limited to three games last year with a broken thumb sustained in the opener and then injured his hamstring in third week back.

Jackson provided some ballast at safety after the Bengals signed him from Tampa Bay following the 2005 season. The position suffered that season from Madieu Williams' shoulder injury and would lose Kevin Kaesviharn following the 2006 season. The Bengals re-charged the position when they drafted Marvin White (fourth round) and Chinedum Ndukwe (seventh) in 2007.

Ironically, it was Jackson's hamstring injury that caused the Bengals to go looking for a replacement and they turned up Crocker on Oct. 30, the same day they ended Jackson's season on injured reserve. Crocker played so well that the Bengals signed him last week to a four-year, $10 million deal and they've apparently decided to switch out the salaries.

In three seasons Jackson had 162 tackles, three interceptions, 11 passes defensed, three fumble recoveries, 1.5 sacks and a forced fumble.

Blair, Brown, and DeGrate were on the practice squad for a portion of 2008, and were added to this offseason roster.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7551

bucksfan2
03-06-2009, 04:18 PM
I disagree. I think the front 7 has to be a major area of concern and something that needs addressed asap.

I don't necessarily disagree but there has been quite a bit of money dedicated to the front 7. Rivers and Oden were given big contracts last season. The Bengals seem committed to Gathers on the other side. Sims and Peko seem to do a respectable job at the DT position. The Bengals NEED to get a pass rush some how I just don't see them spending a top pick.

icehole3
03-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Rams just cut Pace, Holt is on deck, per rotoworld

WVRed
03-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Rams just cut Pace, Holt is on deck, per rotoworld

Just a hunch, but it wouldn't surprise me if Pace decided to sign with Cincinnati. He is from Ohio and Mike Brown has been known to shell out money to offensive linemen who are past their prime. (Richmond Webb)

LoganBuck
03-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Just a hunch, but it wouldn't surprise me if Pace decided to sign with Cincinnati. He is from Ohio and Mike Brown has been known to shell out money to offensive linemen who are past their prime. (Richmond Webb)

What is Levi Jones' cap number. I could see them sign Pace and cut Jones.

JBChance
03-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Just a hunch, but it wouldn't surprise me if Pace decided to sign with Cincinnati.

I could see them sign Pace and cut Jones.

Pace gets much love and respect from me being a former Buckeye, but he played a total of 9 games in '06 and '07. He has some injury issues as you would expect of a 33 yr old OT.

Keeping Palmer upright is of utmost importance. Getting Pace will not do that.

Hopefully Monroe is left at #6

LoganBuck
03-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Pace gets much love and respect from me being a former Buckeye, but he played a total of 9 games in '06 and '07. He has some injury issues as you would expect of a 33 yr old OT.

Keeping Palmer upright is of utmost importance. Getting Pace will not do that.

Hopefully Monroe is left at #6

He played 14 games this past season. How many did Jones play? Are you seriously thinking of going into this season with Jones and Collins as your tackles? Depending on who you believe Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe will both be off the board, when the Bengals pick. Andre Smith did more to cement his reputation as an idiot today. So unless they move up they are not getting an OT. Even without releasing Jones they need to bring Pace in just for a stop gap.

JBChance
03-11-2009, 11:46 PM
He played 14 games this past season. How many did Jones play? Are you seriously thinking of going into this season with Jones and Collins as your tackles? Depending on who you believe Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe will both be off the board, when the Bengals pick. Andre Smith did more to cement his reputation as an idiot today. So unless they move up they are not getting an OT. Even without releasing Jones they need to bring Pace in just for a stop gap.

I see a lot of mock drafts that have one of either J. Smith or Monroe still there at #6. I think that's who they should target. I agree with you about A. Smith.

I assume Jones will be gone, but you never know. As far as in-house options, I think that they like Collins and Whitworth.

Pinning our Palmer protection hopes on a 33 yr. old tackle that's played 23 games out of 48 in the last three years is rolling the dice. Sure, he may start 14 or he may start 1. There are some free agent tackles out there:Khalif Barnes, Willie Colon, John St. Clair, Marvel Smith. Smith is a risk with his back, but is he riskier than Pace?

WVRed
03-12-2009, 12:18 AM
I was the one who threw the option of Pace out there, but I really don't like the idea. The only reason I suggested it is that Mike Brown has been known to shell out money for aging offensive linemen.

If it happens, it is a short term signing, but what will be even more alarming is that it will likely mean that we will not target one in the draft.

Mario-Rijo
03-12-2009, 12:25 AM
I'm coming around more and more to drafting one of J. Smith, Monroe or Raji. I have always favored Monroe because I believe he's a true LT who can also play RT if need be, but I am coming around more to Smith. I have been on the fence about Raji and this article points out why not but he's a beast when he wants to be. I think unless something out of the ordinary happens we should be able to select one of these 3 and it almost has to be. But I personally wouldn't be hurt if Maualuga was the selection although I expect it a lot less now unless these 3 are gone along with Curry.

ShareThis
Mock Around The Clock
By GEOFF HOBSON
March 11, 2009

Updated: 5 p.m.
Like spring and a rollicking afternoon with Franchester "You Hear Me?" Brennaman on the radio, the Bengals.com Media Mock Draft is back. If only for the first five picks so the sifting can begin at what could possibly be available for the Bengals at No. 6.

And there is a lot of sifting.

"This year," says NFL.com's Gil Brandt, who has been studying it so long that his fantasy draft is in a hall of fame instead of hall of mirrors, "there are 23 players I could justify going in the top 10."

With apologies to Marty, this one belongs to the Feds. Since Scott Pioli and Eric Mangini are running things in the top five in Kansas City and Cleveland, respectively, with James Bond-like secrecy, Jack Bauer is the only guy that could get answers out of them 45 days before the NFL Draft.

But if anybody can do it other than Jack, our men on the ground can.

1. LIONS: QB Matt Stafford, Georgia; Nick Cotsonika, Detroit Free Press
With consideration to Baylor left tackle Jason Smith and Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry, the Lions team a big-armed quarterback with a big-play receiver in Calvin Johnson to get off the ground and Stafford can sit behind Daunte Culpepper up there.

Footnote: Marvin Lewis used the quarterback script in 2003 to make his first pick and new Lions head coach Jim Schwartz considers Lewis a mentor.

2. RAMS: LT Eugene Monroe, Virginia; Jim Thomas, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Either him or Smith, and Monroe is the most athletic and probably the best pass protector. But, like Thomas says, that's the way it looks now.

With the Rams checking out tackles in free agency (Khalif Barnes, restricted Willie Colon), it could change. But with the release of left tackle Orlando Pace and his seven Pro Bowls, right tackle Alex Barron is pretty much the only tackle left. For the moment, they're doing kind of what the Bengals are thinking of doing. They've moved Barron to left tackle and left guard Jacob Bell to right tackle.

(The Bengals are mulling moving left guard Andrew Whitworth to left tackle and left tackle Anthony Collins to right tackle. Or keeping Collins at left and moving Whitworth to right tackle.)

No. 2 has tackle written all over it for now and it looks like Monroe.

"But it's early," Thomas says as the team tries to figure out which tackle is the best.

3. CHIEFS: OLB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest; Adam Teicher, Kansas City Star
This is another team that could take a tackle, but with the release of Pace it looks more and more like Curry is going to be here and Kansas City is in desperate need of defense after the Bengals No. 32 offense put up 329 yards on the league's No. 31 defense in the season finale.

4. SEAHAWKS: WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech; Mike Sando, ESPN.com.
The signing of T.J. Houshmandzadeh doesn't preclude it, Sando says, because Seattle general manager Tim Ruskell has a habit of meeting a position crisis with saturation.

Plus, the Seahawks really don't need much at the other spots. Left tackle Walter Jones has some juice left and Sean Locklear is steady at right tackle and may be Jones' heir. That's because Seattle re-signed a guy the Bengals had interest in, Ray Willis, a tackle who probably starts at right guard this year but looks to be in line to move into right tackle eventually.

And the Seahawks wouldn't appear to be interested in Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji after signing Green Bay's Colin Cole in free agency.

5. BROWNS: MLB Rey Maualuga, USC; Tony Grossi, Cleveland Plain-Dealer
Hey, Grossi says, if everyone knew Ray Lewis would turn out like he did, he would have gone in the top five.

Many don't see Maualuga as a top five guy, but Grossi notes the Browns have a crying need for an impact inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense that allowed 191 yards rushing in the 15th game of the season to the Bengals.

And with Mangini putting all of Berea in lockdown, the Browns are probably going to surprise no matter what they do. If this scenario holds, Grossi thinks Cleveland would discuss Jason Smith because they need a right tackle, as well as Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo, and maybe Ohio State cornerback Malcolm Jenkins.

6. BENGALS: LT Jason Smith, Baylor
Probably too good to be true, so don't plan on it. Like Clark Judge of CBSsportsline.com says, "The three best players are Curry, Crabtree and Jason Smith. Does Smith fall? I don't think so. But Adrian Peterson fell to seven and last year Glenn Dorsey fell to five."

Like all the top tackle candidates, Smith has a flaw. He doesn't have many. Great kid, great athlete, great strength. But he hasn't played in a pro offense and has barely ever been in a three-point stance, so teams would be taking a flyer that he can run block.

(Yet, no question, Judge says, the two most impressive guys in the combine media sessions were far and away Curry and Smith.)

"After he got done with the all-star games and the combine, people pretty much think that's not going to be a problem for him," says Jerry Jones, author of the draft survey The Drug Store List, of Smith's technique. "If Jason Smith is there, the Bengals happily check it off no questions asked."

One thing that's apparent looking at this mock is that it won't take much for Smith and Monroe to be gone in the top five, and maybe as early as the first two picks.

If the Bengals decide they can't take the other two tackle candidates, Mississippi's Michael Oher or Alabama's Andre Smith, the obvious solution is to trade down as far as Citibank. But they probably can't because, who would? So now the problem moves from filling a need to finding the safest pick no matter the position:

A guy you can plug in and know he's going to be productive for five years.

Start pulling from Brandt's list of 23 not in this top six.

There is Orakpo, Jenkins, Oher, Raji, Florida State defensive end Everette Brown, wide receivers Jeremy Maclin of Missouri and Percy Harvin of Florida.

But...

The Bengals already have two first-round corners. Orakpo is a tweener DE/OLB pass-rush guy and Brown is like guys they already have. The Bengals "never seem to have any luck with tweeners" like Orakpo, Jones says, and "they've already got two defensive ends (Robert Geathers and Antwan Odom) that have proven they can get sacks."

There is some concern about Raji's weight and the fact he had only one good year. Maclin didn't run many downfield routes in college and Harvin has been brittle.

But all these guys have solid upside, too.

"After the first three, you've got to take the best player or best available athlete, same thing, because of the money," Judge says.

Brandt says the Bengals don't have to cut off the left tackles after Smith and Monroe. He says Oher is a guy that can go at No. 6.

Cue the debate.

"He's a good player, but for inexplicable reasons he'll whiff on a play out of the blue," Jones says. "And I know there is concern about his background."

But Brandt is convinced Bengals offensive line coach Paul Alexander is going to find the right guy. He watched him work out Jason Smith at Baylor last week and figures he was at Alabama Wednesday watching Andre Smith.

"Paul is excellent. He's one of the best at working guys out on the field. He's very thorough," Brandt says.

Pro scouts may have watched Andre Smith's workout in Hazmet suits after his toxic performance during last month's scouting combine, where he showed up out of shape before leaving unannounced.

According to NFL.com, he repped 225 pounds just 19 times, far out of his position's top 10 at the combine. He ran 5.28 seconds in the 40-yard dash, good for him but still not top 10 material, and he just has a hard time stacking up against a guy like Jason Smith after he repped 33. According to Web sites such as SI.com and ProFootballTalk.com, sources at Wednesday's workout are saying everything from Andre Smith bombed to he lost millions of dollars.

He looks like a right tackle, and maybe even more so a guard. As he finished off his first mock draft, Judge couldn't give the Bengals Andre Smith for all those reasons.

But then again, you'll find something with all of Brandt's 23 because this draft is more of a bumper with dents rather than a bumper crop.

The knock on Curry, who looks to be an outside linebacker? Great kid. Great player. But at arguably the least position of impact on defense.

"You've got to have something special to be a linebacker and to be looked at that highly in the draft," says ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli. "Curry is a special guy. A smart player at a good college who had a great career. But the view of linebackers in the top 10 has changed the past few years. It has shifted more to defensive linemen and cornerbacks."

The dent on the soft-spoken Monroe?

"That he's too nice. I remember a guy like that out of USC who had bad knees," says Jones of the incomparable Anthony Munoz.

Brandt likes Crabtree as a safe pick "because he has been productive." But how safe?

He may miss some time in the spring after surgery on his foot. He played in an unorthodox offense. And he's got a tough agent (Eugene Parker) unafraid of first-round holdouts like Chris Perry (three weeks) and Cedric Benson (35 days).

"That high of a pick, it has to be a lineman, offense or defense," Jones says, and he points to Raji.

Only one thing is certain:

With 45 days left, the mock will change 45 times.

JBChance
03-12-2009, 12:54 AM
I was the one who threw the option of Pace out there, but I really don't like the idea. The only reason I suggested it is that Mike Brown has been known to shell out money for aging offensive linemen.

If it happens, it is a short term signing, but what will be even more alarming is that it will likely mean that we will not target one in the draft.

Oh, I know it could happen. I'm just putting it out there why I hope it doesn't.

Maybe the Bengals are turning over a new leaf. I was for keeping TJ, but they did surprise with the Coles signing that makes me believe that they actually have a plan. I haven't felt that way in a while. Perhaps, they have a plan for dealing with the OLine and DLine, too.

I'm just hoping it includes a high draft pick and not Pace. If I thought that they'd take the pick and pick up Pace/ cut Jones, that would be OK, but probably not likely. Levi's cap hit is 5.2 mill if he's cut, 5.7 mill if he stays. So, the savings is only about .5 mill. That's not enough to go out and sign anyone, so they'd have to allocate some draft pick money or something to fill the spot.

icehole3
03-12-2009, 04:53 AM
I think theyll pass on Pace, he's one side step from the IR like Levi and it'll take a lot of money for him to come here. Its gonna be Smith or Monroe and then move on to round 2. I could see teams jumping in front of the Bengals again and stealing their thunder again, at that point you grab Raji.

Mario-Rijo
03-20-2009, 02:23 AM
I know this isn't a popular idea but it's got some merit. Assume for a moment that J. Smith, Curry, Monroe are all off the board and it comes down to a DT with some "red flags", an injured WR (a position of relative strength) and a RB who was very productive and is highly talented with some fair but not overly so durability concerns?

Now consider this for a moment, the Bengals seemingly have decided to re-dedicate themselves to running the football more to help both their defense and their QB. A 2 headed monster of Benson and Beanie with a young but stout Eric Wood at center and Collins and Whitworth at the tackles could be just the right approach. Carson throws it much less if the offense is more predicated on the run so the need for great pass blockers is lessened a bit. I think it should actually make both the offense and defense improved. Plus now you have 3 deep threats when you do throw it. Sounds too me like a completely plausible scenario. Especially after Beanie just ran from 4.34 to 4.42 at his pro day at 235 lbs. Of course just like I wrote elsewhere we may not get the chance to draft him anyhow with Seattle's desperate need for a RB and Cleveland also could use a feature RB.

DDN (http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/bengals/2009/03/17/ddn031809spbigcweb.html)

Bengals to consider Beanie Wells with No. 6 pick
By Carlos "Big C" Holmes

Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Cincinnati Bengals have the sixth overall selection in this year's NFL draft and will be in search of an impact player on either offense or defense. The prospect evaluation process has long begun and the franchise is beginning to narrow down its choices.

One impact player ranked high on the team's list is Ohio State running back Chris "Beanie" Wells. The Bengals have a need for a playmaker at the running back position behind starter Cedric Benson and Wells is scheduled to visit the organization in Cincinnati the first week of April.

Wells may have put himself back in the running as a potential Top 5 pick after an explosive performance at the school's pro day on March 13, rebounding from a so-so showing at the Scouting Combine last month.

"It was big for me to perform well at the pro day," Wells said in a recent phone interview. "I knew deep down that I could do better in my 40-time than I did at the combine. It was more of a personal thing for me. It felt great when I crossed that finish line and heard my times."

The 6-foot-1, 235-pound Wells was clocked as low as 4.34 and as high as 4.42 in the 40-yard dash. I'm told that he also fared well during position drills, grabbing the attention of all 32 team representatives in attendance.

The Seattle Seahawks with the No. 3 pick and Cleveland Browns at No. 5 have expressed interest in the running back. Other teams at top of the draft board expressing interest include Green Bay, Jacksonville, Denver and Cincinnati of course.

Wells worked out privately for the Broncos on Tuesday, March 17. According to a source with knowledge of the situation, the workout went extremely well.

Despite being slowed by a foot injury in 2008, Wells believes that he's the top running back prospect entering the draft based on his production in college.

"I've been injured, but those things happen when you're playing football," he said. "If you look at the film and what I was able to accomplish when healthy, you could immediately tell that I would have had a heck of a year if not for the injury. However, I was still able to perform as one of the top running backs in the country."

The junior running back rushed for 1,197 yards and 8 touchdowns in 10 appearances during an injury-plagued season. Wells earned second team all-Big Ten despite missing three games. He was voted team Most Valuable Player and first team all-Big Ten after rushing for 1,609 yards and 15 touchdowns his sophomore year.

When it comes to drafting running backs there are many who believe that they come a dime a dozen, but not when they're special.

Wells is a complete back with a rare combination of size, speed and quickness. Not to mention a home run hitter. He's a powerful inside runner with the ability to bounce the ball outside and take it the distance. He shows good lateral quickness, acceleration and initial burst through the hole. Wells is a patient runner with good vision and can anticipate cutback lanes as they develop. He has the ability to make defenders miss in the open field; blocks well and is a reliable outlet receiver. The only concern with the runner is durability. However, when healthy not many are better.

Should the Bengals decide to use their first round pick on Wells, this could make for a nice one-two punch with him sharing the load with Benson in the backfield.

The Akron native said that he would love to play for Cleveland or Cincinnati. Now it's just a matter of who will pull the trigger on draft day.

icehole3
03-20-2009, 03:57 AM
maybe everyone can cool off with this draft an OT talk, all last spring Lewis said Chad would be here and he did, if he says Levi is the LT, why waste a pick on a LT, there are so many other huge holes on this team. I say move on to the next problem which is pass rush then center.

Lewis: Jones the LT for now
By GEOFF HOBSON
March 19, 2009
RSS
ShareThis

Updated: 5 p.m.

Before heading to the NFL annual meeting this weekend in Dana Point, Calif., head coach Marvin Lewis said Thursday that his Bengals have fewer questions than his first three teams here and that Levi Jones is still his left tackle.

After returning from the University of Cincinnati's Pro Day for draft prospects, Lewis said that about 10 people from the NFL told him they felt the Bengals had upgraded over last year following the signing of wide receiver Laveranues Coles, as well as the re-signings of running back Cedric Benson and safety Chris Crocker.

Lewis also said that the Bengals will "probably," sign two players before the April 25-26 NFL Draft that will compete for starting jobs. Five-time Pro Bowl safety Roy Williams would obviously do more than that as the Bengals planned to talk to his agent after what defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer called a good workout at Paul Brown Stadium Thursday morning.

"He looked athletic and strong," Zimmer said.

Lewis spent much of the past two days with Williams and came away impressed.

"He's a great football player and he's a wonderful guy," Lewis said. "I'm glad we got to know him and he got to know us. He'd be a good asset for us. You can never have too many players and this guy has been an outstanding player. He makes plays that win games."

Zimmer, who dined with Williams Wednesday night, said his technique looked raw early in the workout but he saw a lot of things that lifted Williams to four of his Pro Bowls while Zimmer was the defensive coordinator in Dallas.

"He was (a two-way safety) for me," said Zimmer about Williams' ability to cover as well as play one the NFL's most fearsome run defense at his position.

Asked if it looked like he could still do that after watching him, he said, "Yes.

"He's out of shape like everybody this time of year, but he looked good," Zimmer said.

Zimmer also said he 's not going to use a rotation if two guys prove they're the best.

"I wouldn't think you bring in a guy like that to be in a rotation," Zimmer said. "I'm not one to rotate guys just to appease somebody. That doesn't sound too smart. If he's the best guy, he plays."

Lewis also had high praise for Jones and wouldn't comment on a published report that said the Bengals are actively trying to trade him. Jones battled injuries all year long and missed the last six games with back and hamstring problems, but Lewis says he's ready to play.

"He's had some injuries. He overcame injuries," Lewis said. "He fights his butt off. I love his temperament and how he goes about it. He's a great pro for us, the way he approaches the game and the way he approaches Sunday.

"He's here right now with the contract. He should be ready to play. He missed most of last season so he would be ready to play and did some things in the offseason to prepare himself to be ready to play this season," Lewis said. "Levi is here. Levi is the left tackle."

Lewis also said that he expects wide receiver Chad Ocho Cinco to be with the team despite a hot stove full of reports the Bengals are going to trade him. But he wouldn't speculate if he'll be here for the March 30 start of offseason workouts. Ocho Cinco failed to engineer a trade by missing all of last year's voluntary work.

"It's voluntary," Lewis said. "I expect all our guys here until I hear from them."

Lewis says the club doesn't have much salary cap room because of the huge payout due the sixth pick in the draft and because last year's No. 1 pick, Keith Rivers, didn't hit his one-time play-time incentive because of the broken jaw. That's believed to be about $3 million.

"But we've got some irons in the fire," he said.

Here's a wacky suggestion, say we sign a free agent center and Levi is OK and back to form like Marvin is saying. Then we trade down with someone wanting Crabtree and we get a 1st and a 2nd, so now you have a mid round 1st and a high 2nd and a mid round 2nd. 3 first day picks.

mid 1st - Rey Maualuga
high 2nd - Peria Jerry
mid 2nd - Connor Barwin

I would sit back and just smile thru the rest of the draft

WVRed
03-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Last I checked, Levi is on the trade block.

It's offensive line or bust. The more I have read about Maualuga the more I think the Bengals need to steer clear.

chicoruiz
03-20-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm not sure that Crabtree is so much better than Maclin, Harvin, etc. that a team would be willing to give up a #2 to move up.

The Bengals have never been very proactive about trading down, and this year looks particularly tough. Our best chance might be if someone falls in love with Sanchez and feels that they have to jump over Jacksonville to get him.

Newport Red
03-20-2009, 12:34 PM

It's offensive line or bust. The more I have read about Maualuga the more I think the Bengals need to steer clear.

It's been awhile since Levi has been healthy, let alone league average. Hopefully, this is pre-draft posturing.

icehole3
03-20-2009, 12:37 PM

Thats why I posted what I did so you can be updated, Marvin says he isnt on the block, who's right you or Marvin?

WVRed
03-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Thats why I posted what I did so you can be updated, Marvin says he isnt on the block, who's right you or Marvin?

I stand corrected. It was updated from rotoworld.

It's all fine well and good, but we still need offensive line help. Even if Levi is starting at LT, I would keep an eraser handy if he gets hurt or is ineffective. Depends on Anthony Collins as well.

Reds Fanatic
03-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Bengals sign Tahi to offer sheet
By Carlos "Big C" Holmes | Friday, March 20, 2009, 11:12 AM

The Cincinnati Bengals have signed Minnesota Vikings restricted free agent fullback Naufahu Tahi to a 1-year, $1.4 millon offer sheet.

The deal includes a $500,000 signing bonus and $900,000 in base salary. Tahi’s agent David Lee of Players Rep Sports Management confirmed the signing today.

The Vikings, who have expressed interest in fullback Leonard Weaver of the Seattle Seahawks, will have seven days to match the Bengals’ offer.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/big_c_nfl_blitz/entries/2009/03/20/bengals_sign_fullback_naufahu.html

JBChance
03-21-2009, 03:56 AM
Man, you can't say that the Bengals haven't been active this off season. They appear more serious than ever about improving.

I'm kind of shocked. Maybe Marvin sees the writing on the wall and thinks "It's now or never"

icehole3
03-22-2009, 05:36 PM
here's how I see the 6th pick going and I dont think Mikey will be in the trading mood. Det will wise up and take Stafford, then the 2 OTs will come off that leaves Sea and the Turds, that leaves Curry, Raji, Beanie. The Bengals will take whoever is left just like they did last year with Rivers.

Mario-Rijo
03-22-2009, 05:44 PM
John Thornton's current take on #6. Not sure I agree or disagree but an interesting take nonetheless. I do agree that Beanie Wells as I laid out in an earlier post is becoming more and more a part of the picture. I'd actually put him just behind Jason Smith, Monroe & Curry and ahead of Raji & Crabtree as 4th most likely selection. And frankly I'd almost bet they'd rather have Beanie than Monroe as well, just a gut call.

http://www.allproblogger.com/?p=1415

On the clock: Cincinnati Bengals
March 21st, 2009 | On the clock

OK this will be my toughest pick of all. Not because I don’t know who the Bengals SHOULD select, but because I am a little too close to the pick because I have been a part of the organization for the past six years. So I know the personnel on the team a little better than most. But that doesn’t mean I will get it right. When I played for the Bengals, I never could guess who the first round pick would be, I was always surprised during the draft because current players never really know what’s going to happen. So with that being said, I will throw my little dart at this thing. Watch out! Don’t get in my way.

I think there will be a few beneficial options at pick #6 for the Bengals. I think there is a strong chance that the team will trade this pick. With QB’s Matthew Stafford and Mark Sanchez on the board, any team that is looking for a QB will be calling Mike Brown looking to get in the mix. Most people think that the Jacksonville Jaguars will select a QB at pick #8, so the best way to jump in front of them is to go to pick #6. With the Oakland Raiders having pick #7, I don’t think that teams will want to deal with the Raiders. Just a hunch. Maybe a team like the Denver Broncos would want DT BJ Raji, they may call because they think the Bengals will take him or the Jags at #8 will take him. The Bengals will have to decide how far back they will have to move and who would be at that pick. If teams have a list of seven guys that they would like to take at their pick, then they wouldn’t want to move back past seven spots in a trade. If they have to move back past that, they will demand more in the trade. Let’s assume that the Bengals don’t trade the pick.

Offensive Line- Just about every mock draft has the Bengals taking a offensive tackle. All of the top guys are listed here because the team lost Stacey Andrews in FA. So you can assume that this is a position that the Bengals will attack with this pick or multiple picks in later rounds. At this point in APB’s Draft, Michael Oher and Andre Smith are the top rated OT’s on the board. Both of these guys played left tackle in college. If the Bengals select a tackle, he would have to be able to play right tackle.

Wide Receiver- The signing of Laveranues Coles takes a WR out of this spot. I previously said that the team should take Missouri WR Jeremy Maclin because he is a great return man as well, but the WR position can wait till later in the draft.

Defensive Line- The Bengals recently gave three of it’s four current starters on the D-Line big contracts. The other starter is DT Pat Sims, who the team likes. DT B.J. Raji could be selected here and give the Bengals a big, young interior. At the DE spot, Brian Orakpo and Everette Brown could be drafted to give the team the pass rushers that they are looking for. Drafting any of the D-linemen will give the team a boost, but finding where to put them and who to sit would have to play itself out.

Defensive Backs- The only guy who would be looked at here is Ohio State DB Malcolm Jenkins. His is a corner/safety that the team could keep on the field at all times and disguise what defense they are playing. But with two young corners, I’m not sure he will be the guy at pick #6, maybe if they trade down.

Running Back- I know he is gone on my draft board, but if RB Beanie Wells happens to really be here, I think he will be the pick. But he’s not here so forget I just said that, but keep it in the back of your mind in April.

The pick- Alabama OT Andre Smith. I know he is the joke of the first round right now, but this guy has talent and should be a top five pick. If you go off of his college tape, he is a top five pick. But leaving the combine early, and getting suspended for Alabama’s BCS Bowl game have dropped Andre’s stock. I have a feeling that teams will dig deeper into what has happened over the past few months and get more comfortable with this kid. Cincinnati will take a lot of heat for making this selection because experts like to pick on the Bengals anyway, but if the team is truly looking to upgrade it’s offensive line and truly looking to establish the line of scrimmage like coach Marvin Lewis has said since season’s end, then Andre Smith would be the guy because he has the body to switch to right tackle. He is in the mold of OT’s Willie Anderson and Stacey Andrews. Big powerful OT’s who will fit in the AFC North.

OesterPoster
03-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Beanie or Andre Smith? I might have to skip watching the draft this year. I don't think I can take another bad pick in my lifetime.

WMR
03-23-2009, 09:20 AM
Oh my god, if the Bungles draft Chris Wells that would really just take the cake.

WMR
03-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Has Mike Brown *EVER* traded down in the draft in a smart manner? Thornton understands who he is blogging about, correct?

Oxilon
03-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Bengals drafting Andre Smith? Is he even a projected 1st round pick anymore? haha

LoganBuck
03-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Bengals drafting Andre Smith? Is he even a projected 1st round pick anymore? haha

Not so fast, everyone needs to take a step back, on Andre Smith. His body of work is outstanding, and while I have reservations about him playing tackle in 5-6 years, he is fine right now. The questions about him are:

1. Is he a headcase? He left the draft early. Had he announced that he was not going to workout at the combine, none of this would even be brought up. He took the early flight and left. The rub was that no one knew where he was. He didn't know what he had done until his phone started ringing in Atlanta. Had he cleared that up, ahead of time, no one would say a single word.

2. Does he have weight problems? The answer is yes, but he is said to have played between 330-345 never higher. He currently weighs 325. I venture that many offensive linemen look pretty ugly without their shirts on. If he had left his shirt on, there would be less discussion about his manboobs.

3. Is he immature? He is 21 years old. He is one of the youngest players in this draft. I don't put anything he has done in the same neighborhood as other trouble makers.

4. Why is his family so involved in the process? Will they continue to be? I think it goes back to the fact that he actually has a family, that cares for him. He is also 21 and is looking to make major money. I know that I would have leaned heavily on parents for advice with a process like that when I was his age.

The take home lesson with Andre Smith is that people are knit picking. He was highly regarded as one of the best kids on the team at Alabama. He is being labeled a "character redflag". Somehow or other he is being lumped in with the Chris Henry, Odell Thurman category. The kid didn't tell the right person he was leaving the combine, took his shirt off on camera, and may have talked to an agent before he should have, those are "minor" mistakes. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. This kid can play.

Oxilon
03-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Faulting a guy for missing the combine isn't knitpicking. The combine, like it or not, is a big deal and drastically effects players' stock in the draft. Every year players rise and fall significantly because of the combine, and him completely missing it is a big deal.

Eric_the_Red
03-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Also, wasn't he in some type of trouble while in college? The Bengals need less "troubled" players, not more.

LoganBuck
03-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Faulting a guy for missing the combine isn't knitpicking. The combine, like it or not, is a big deal and drastically effects players' stock in the draft. Every year players rise and fall significantly because of the combine, and him completely missing it is a big deal.

He didn't "miss the combine". He had the option not to work out. The problem came from him not telling whatever stooge was in charge of that. If the NFL Network guys didn't have 48 hours worth of NFL combine coverage to fill up, this wouldn't have been a big issue.

Eric the Red, the only trouble that I know of, that he had at Alabama was the agent thing, and there are different stories on that. Otherwise he was a model citizen.

I am not saying his polish hasn't been scuffed, but I don't think any of this stuff equals a major character flaw.

People have called his workout poor, his times were all ok, or good. His positional work was outstanding, the only thing that was poor was him taking his shirt off, and running with his manboobs bouncing up and down. He is not going to be a Guess jeans model.

Just don't dismiss him out of hand.

Eric_the_Red
03-23-2009, 01:47 PM
His positional work was outstanding, the only thing that was poor was him taking his shirt off, and running with his manboobs bouncing up and down.

But don't the Bengals have enough boobs on the roster? ;)

icehole3
03-23-2009, 04:44 PM
What A Smith did was comparable to applying for an office job at P&G in shorts and sneakers IMO

LoganBuck
03-23-2009, 05:00 PM
What A Smith did was comparable to applying for an office job at P&G in shorts and sneakers IMO

Nope, every year players considered to be top 5 picks skip the workouts. The problem is, he didn't tell his group leader. He was in Atlanta working out when all heck started breaking loose. He did the weigh in, and the interviews the night before. All that was left was the workout portion, and he had the option to skip it, if he wanted to. He did and because somebody with a clipboard didn't know where he was, it became a crisis of character.

The kid made a mistake, but it is nothing more than a simple mistake. He wasn't high on crack, paying a prostitute to kick a dog. That is not a crisis.

CTA513
03-23-2009, 08:36 PM
The Bengals received 4 comp picks for this years draft:

Bengals get four more picks
By GEOFF HOBSON
March 23, 2009

Updated: 8 p.m.

DANA POINT, Calif. _ The Bengals now have 11 picks in next month's draft after receiving the maximum four compensatory picks Monday and the extra third-rounder gives them five picks in the first 106 selections.

The Bengals and the Titans led the way with four with Cincinnati picking up a third-rounder that is the 98th pick, a sixth that is the 209th and two seventh-rounders that are the 249th and 252nd picks.

"We thought for sure we would get three picks and we weren't sure we would get four and we got four barely," said Bengals president Mike Brown. "The third-round pick is a valuable pick."

The Bengals can't trade that third-rounder, but they could trade the 70th pick early in the third round if they wanted to trade up, knowing they've got something at the bottom of the round.

"We'll have to see what is there to trade up for," Brown said.

The Bengals got the picks in exchange for losing in free agency last year defensive end Justin Smith, linebacker Landon Johnson, defensive lineman Bryan Robinson, and center Alex Stepanovich. The Bengals also lost safety Madieu Williams, but in the complicated formula based largely on playing time and pay, his loss appeared to be cancelled out by the Bengals' acquisition of Titans defensive end Antwan Odom.

The last two extra third-rounders have meant a lot on the depth chart. Last year the Bengals picked up Florida wide receiver Andre Caldwell with the 97th pick they got for losing Eric Steinbach and he's being groomed for a major role this year with the loss of T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

In 2004 they got linebacker Landon Johnson at No. 96 in exchange for Takeo Spikes and Johnson ended up leading the team in tackling his final two seasons.

Source: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7571

remdog
03-23-2009, 10:06 PM
If they play their cards right they have a shot at picking Mr. Irrelevent and they can come to Newport Beach and present him with the Lowsman Trophy in June. :)

Rem

WVRed
03-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Andre Smith strikes me as a Shawn Andrews/Leonard Davis type. He is undersized for a tackle, but could be slid over to guard if need be.

icehole3
03-24-2009, 04:42 AM
Nope, every year players considered to be top 5 picks skip the workouts. The problem is, he didn't tell his group leader. He was in Atlanta working out when all heck started breaking loose. He did the weigh in, and the interviews the night before. All that was left was the workout portion, and he had the option to skip it, if he wanted to. He did and because somebody with a clipboard didn't know where he was, it became a crisis of character.

The kid made a mistake, but it is nothing more than a simple mistake. He wasn't high on crack, paying a prostitute to kick a dog. That is not a crisis.

His off season is riddled with mistakes thats all Im saying, Im not calling him a crackhead

LoganBuck
03-24-2009, 07:13 AM
His off season is riddled with mistakes thats all Im saying, Im not calling him a crackhead

But make a list of those mistakes, in the grand scheme of things they aren't major issues.

Redhook
03-24-2009, 08:13 AM
But make a list of those mistakes, in the grand scheme of things they aren't major issues.

It is when you're going to give some millions upon millions of dollars. You can't take a risk with a #6 pick and Andre Smith has done things recently that make him a bit of a risk. I'd avoid him like the plague with the 6th pick.

HeatherC1212
03-24-2009, 10:46 AM
It's great that the Bengals got those four extra picks but I'm slightly fearful of the Bengals now having even more chances to make bad picks that won't help the team next year. :eek:

bucksfan2
03-24-2009, 11:42 AM
It is when you're going to give some millions upon millions of dollars. You can't take a risk with a #6 pick and Andre Smith has done things recently that make him a bit of a risk. I'd avoid him like the plague with the 6th pick.

My issue is that Andre Smith risks have nothing to do with on the field risk or legal risks. When this guy's playing days at Alabama were over and he declared for the draft he was considered as one of the top 3 players in the entire draft. He has been knocked down because of things that do not happen on the football field.

To be honest I would rather take a guy who is falling because of non football activities than a guy who is a fast riser because of non football activities. I don't care how Smith looks without his shirt on. What I care about is how he plays with his shirt and pads on.

Hoosier Red
03-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Everything I've heard about Smith is that in the right situation he'd be a monster which is what LoganBuck's been saying.
My concern is that the Bengals are just about never the "right" situation for a guy like that.
Seriously what player has become more mature since joining the Bengals?

LoganBuck
03-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Everything I've heard about Smith is that in the right situation he'd be a monster which is what LoganBuck's been saying.
My concern is that the Bengals are just about never the "right" situation for a guy like that.
Seriously what player has become more mature since joining the Bengals?

Very true, but I don't even think it is a maturity issue. His goofups are miscues. When I think of maturity being an issue, I think of Homer Bailey. His issues were well documented, there is nothing close to that with Andre Smith. Smith is known to be coachable, and a good teammate.

I think there are three tackles in the draft that separate themselves from the rest in terms of onfield play.

1. Eugene Monroe
2. Andre Smith
3. Jason Smith

Rank them in whatever order you want, in terms of on field play. They are each slightly different. But don't forget, for a second, that there are teams in the draft that stand to benefit from an Andre Smith sliding. Coming into the process it was known that the Bengals wanted a tackle. A couple hiccups come along, and people start flipping out. If Smith starts falling on draft boards, a team like the Redskins might pick him at 13, and maybe a little later another team like the Lions can pick up Oher, or Britton because Smith fell to another team of need. It is a game of dominoes.

At this point, information that gets leaked about players is either completely true, or carefully plotted out in order to manipulate the draft boards of other teams. Talking heads like Mayock, McShay, and Kiper suck up this information and regurgitate it.

Believe everything.
Believe nothing.

Mario-Rijo
03-24-2009, 03:19 PM
I have to agree with LB. Smith hasn't really done anything to be overly concerned with. Although not sure he can maintain at the RT position for very long, his feet aren't quite OT good.

I happen to like the OT's in this order.

1A. Jason Smith
1B. Eugene Monroe
2. Michael Oher
3. Andre Smith
4. William Beatty
5. Eben Britton

Mario-Rijo
03-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Looks like Lewis ready to pounce in FA if something would help along the line. See the bolded for that info.

Long-range plan
Geoff Hobson

Posted 36 minutes ago

a a DANA POINT, Calif. - Compared to past AFC head coach media breakfasts at the NFL league meetings, Marvin Lewis' appearance for the Bengals on Tuesday was a veritable bed-and-breakfast.

New Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels looked to be hemmed in by the White House press corps in Day 7 of the Jay Cutler hostage crisis.

With Bill Belichick a no-show at these meetings, owner Bob Kraft presided over the busy Patriots table.

In his first appearance for the Browns, the inscrutable Eric Mangini kept his own horde at bay.

Even stately Dick Jauron for Buffalo had to deal with small but steady waves wondering how his Ivy League demeanor will handle the poison ivy of Terrell Owens.

But with Chad Ocho Cinco silent and Carson Palmer strong this season, Lewis pretty much just had to deal with his desire to get back to throwing the ball deep and how the acquisition of former Jets wide receiver Laveranues Coles revives his vertically-challenged offense and makes Ocho Cinco a better receiver.

Palmer lives about 45 minutes from the NFL meeting site, but he's had out-of-town family obligations this week. Still, Lewis hopes to hook up with his quarterback for dinner before he leaves Wednesday night. He reiterated to his national audience that Palmer's elbow has recovered and has been since the end of last season, when he missed 12 games.

"He's like a caged bull," Lewis said. "He wants to put his stamp on not only this team, but this season."

The chief casualty of Palmer's injury besides the wins was a passing game that yielded just one 40-yard plus pass to a wide receiver last season.

If Ocho Cinco's status is still up in the air, the offensive mindset is not with Coles and with/without The Ocho.

"Offensively we have to do things to get the ball back to Chad. To push the ball down the field," said Lewis, who is still emphasizing the run. But "when we did throw the ball, we didn't make any vertical throws."

Other highlights of Lewis' morning national presser:

» He said he was disappointed when the club lost right tackle Stacy Andrews to the Eagles in free agency because the Bengals thought they had a deal done a week before free agency despite the fact he was coming off reconstructive knee surgery.

"He's a guy that's worked hard to come back from his knee injury and I would imagine he would be ready to go when the season opens up pretty good," Lewis said. "I think he's got a great shot at doing that. (That's what) all indications were when he was in our building. He's a very quiet leader but a guy you'll have all the time.

"I'm not disappointed in free agency because that's the system. What's disappointing is Stacy led us to believe he wanted to stay, so it was up to his representative to get the contract done and we felt like we had the deal done and all of a sudden he walked away."

» Lewis indicated the offensive line is a priority right now in free agency, as well as the draft. He hasn't forgotten about the pass rush, but he thinks the experience factor under defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer will lead to more sacks, as well as a healthy WILL linebacker in Keith Rivers.

"No doubt we have to develop depth on the offensive line, whether that guy emerges as a starter or however it comes down between now and the draft," he said. "We have some irons in the fire with guys on the offensive line (in free agency). We continue to tweak around on the defensive line with the addition of the draft. We've got to get better rushing the passer. I think that's a progression from learning to play the run, being responsible enough to play the run and to know you've got to make the conversion to pass rushes. I think that's a maturity thing."

» With Belichick not in the room, Lewis shared AFC runnerup seniority honors with Jacksonville's Jack Del Rio behind Tennessee's Jeff Fisher. Lewis said that he's got "a very good relationship" with Bengals president Mike Brown that involves sitting down over coffee every morning in Brown's office. He said it was strong enough to survive last summer's very public split with his boss over Lewis' desire not to re-sign wide receiver Chris Henry and Brown's decision to bring him back.

"People disagree all the time. Unfortunately I let it be public," Lewis said. "We disagree about a number of things all the time. Some come my way, some go his way. In this case, unfortunately, I voiced my opinion publicly, really, knowing what his opinion was, and that ultimately he had the final say-so like any owner does."

» Steelers coach Mike Tomlin on Tuesday picked the Ravens as AFC North favorites, but Lewis just laughed and said Tomlin's Super Bowl champions have to be the division favorite. With Baltimore a close second.

Lewis also thinks even though the Browns have a new head coach, their defensive transition is going to be fairly easy because Mangini's 3-4 stuff is similar to what Romeo Crennel did: "We're going uphill."

The wild card, of course, is Palmer. Even wilder is Ocho Cinco. No one really knows his mindset. Lewis laughed and said the silence may be "new strategy" compared to last year's six-month rant that failed to get him traded.

But he does think The Ocho and Coles make a good team and that Coles makes him better.

"You've got a guy coming from outside in and all he wants to do is be at the top of his game," Lewis said."They're friends. They know each other. They bump into each other in Florida in the offseason. Laveranues knows his career is at the time where he wants to be a guy that gets his team to the Super Bowl. That's all he wanted was the opportunity to do: To go to a team that had a quarterback he felt like he meshes with him and can get him where he wanted to go."

The thing that Lewis kept coming back to on Coles is he can help Palmer unleash the long ball again.

"His quickness and the ability to make cuts, to catch the ball and run with it, and make big plays that way," said Lewis of how Coles attracted him. "He can turn a five-yard slant into a 70-yard play and that's what impressed me. He was physical. He didn't let guys grab him and throw him around. He ran right through the grabs. He does a great job with body control, stutter steps, and double moves and those are things that kind of faded out of our offense somehow."

Lewis noted when the Bengals played the Jets and when Zimmer's Cowboys played Coles' Redskins, they never singled him up.

"The thing you know," Lewis said, "is you've got an outside or inside guy that's going to draw some different coverage matchups

LoganBuck
03-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Looks like Lewis ready to pounce in FA if something would help along the line. See the bolded for that info.

Orlando Pace and George Foster are the two that have been mentioned.

Given those choices.............

icehole3
03-24-2009, 05:19 PM
sounds like theyre going to do the right thing and fix the line

JBChance
03-25-2009, 02:25 AM
sounds like theyre going to do the right thing and fix the line

They really have no choice. The franchise took a beating last year and was out most of the season because the line was not good.

Not fixing the OLine is out of the question. I'm encouraged Marvin seems to be focusing on this.

Not sure I agree with Andre Smith, but if they can do the homework a make sure he's not the risk he's being reported to be, might be a good play. They just better be sure to check it out thoroughly - the Bengals certainly don't need another project or the bad press.

Eric_the_Red
03-25-2009, 02:46 AM
Now that they have 11 draft picks, anyone think the Bengals should try to trade up for Jason Smith?

icehole3
03-25-2009, 04:43 AM
Now that they have 11 draft picks, anyone think the Bengals should try to trade up for Jason Smith?

I wouldnt, just dont trust Mikey boy to do anything creative, just sit back and let that 1st rounder fall in your lap, the thing Im worried about is Marvin reaching grabbing some division 2 guys like he did last year Simpson, Lynch, Sherry, same thing every year.