PDA

View Full Version : Arod linked to steroid usage

texasdave
02-07-2009, 11:44 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/02/07/alex-rodriguez-steroids/index.html?eref=T1

Click the link to read about the latest cheating dog. Ban them all for life. It disgusts me.

schmidty622
02-07-2009, 12:06 PM
i say, take the opposite approach, make it mandatory that they all take roids. If all MLB players are on the juice then it cant be cheating.

Jerome
02-07-2009, 01:26 PM
It's so hard to draw a punishment line here. Back then, some of that garbage was legal, I'm not sure why. That's where baseball really messed up. But if I'm a player in the late 90s-early 2000s, I'm sure there is great temptation to try this legal drug that makes you stronger and better. All the more impressive are Adam Dunn's numbers with all these home run hitter allegations coming to fruition, that is, unless he was roided out, which there is no reason to believe.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

Ghosts of 1990
02-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Makes Dunn and Griffey look more amazing

berryluther
02-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Doesnt surprise me at all. Now we can put an asteric beside his name when he passes Bonds.

I hate Bonds but its looking like he was in the majority not the minority. Steroids or not Big Mac and Sammy saved this game and they shouldnt be punished for doing what everone else was.

steig
02-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Makes the Yankee A-Fraud phrase seem so much more truthful.

improbus
02-07-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm more interested in the 104 other names that failed a drug test.

The only way that baseball is ever going to "clean up" its act is if they are abjectly humiliated, if fans stop going, and if it starts to hurt their bottom line. Money is the only thing that they will listen to (especially A-Rod) and if the owners and players start losing money because of then maybe they will get serious.

dunner13
02-07-2009, 03:04 PM
It seems like its becoming more clear that probably most of the players in the last ten years have taken steroids. Pitchers included. If more then half did, which im betting they did, I think you just have to accept it and move on. you cant ban everyone.

TheNext44
02-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Junior is looking better and better everyday.

I say no Hall of Fame for A-Rod, since we really don't know when he started. Bonds is tougher choice, since it is clear when he started, and he had a Hall of Fame career if you only count the years he was clean.

Jack Burton
02-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Makes Dunn and Griffey look more amazing

How's that?

BPhillips4
02-07-2009, 03:37 PM
If true, this is another big blow for baseball.

Another guy potentially vying for the all-time homerun record with tainted numbers. It's sad to see, but not in the least surprising

Orodle
02-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Whos to say Dunn or Griffey werent one of the other 103?

reds1869
02-07-2009, 05:41 PM
I think we need to just move on. The entire era is tainted. That said, it starts to make one question why Pete Rose can't be in the HOF but a lot of juicers will be.

WildcatFan
02-07-2009, 06:05 PM
I think we need to just move on. The entire era is tainted. That said, it starts to make one question why Pete Rose can't be in the HOF but a lot of juicers will be.

Agree wholeheartedly. I'm in the camp that you can't go back in time; you just have to accept the steroid era for what it was. I think MLB has taken the right steps toward fixing the problem in today's game, but at the time we just didn't know enough about the problem to be able to fix it.

As for Rose, he didn't cheat at the game; he used it for financial game. Wrong, yes. Against the rules, yes. Should he have been suspended, yes. But it's time to look at that case again in context of some of the things players are getting away with today.

TheNext44
02-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Whos to say Dunn or Griffey werent one of the other 103?

Does Dunn look like he needs steroids? lol

And Griffey's years in Cincinnati are proof that he was clean, or if he was using them, they weren't working. Steroids are supposed to make you stronger and faster, not fatter and slower as in Griffey's case. And aren't your power numbers supposed to go up with PED use? It seems that Griffey's were the only ones to go down as he got older, the way it was with everyone before PED's were created.

redsfanmia
02-07-2009, 09:03 PM

There is not a sign in every clubhouse stating NO STERIOD use, there is a sign in every clubhouse saying NO GAMBLING. Pete got what he deserved.

redsfandan
02-07-2009, 09:54 PM
What a shocker. :sleep:

I'm more interested in the 104 other names that failed a drug test. ...
x2

steig
02-08-2009, 12:17 AM
What a shocker. :sleep:

x2

Could there possibly be a bigger name than A-Rod. He was the great hope to clean up the record books. Now it appears that baseball will have to wait longer to have this mess cleaned.

Orodle
02-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Does Dunn look like he needs steroids? lol

And Griffey's years in Cincinnati are proof that he was clean, or if he was using them, they weren't working. Steroids are supposed to make you stronger and faster, not fatter and slower as in Griffey's case. And aren't your power numbers supposed to go up with PED use? It seems that Griffey's were the only ones to go down as he got older, the way it was with everyone before PED's were created.

There are plenty of guys who have tested for steriods that obviously didnt put up big numbers. Because your on steriods doesnt mean your ripped and doesnt mean other injuries cant off set what you've gained.

I did not say Dunn or Griffey used steriods but at my point is a lot of people just assumed they didnt.........same was for A-Rod before this happend. I remember last season a sportscaster commenting that A-Rod was obviously not one of those guys tainted......wrong.

Krawhitham
02-08-2009, 01:40 AM
It seems like its becoming more clear that probably most of the players in the last ten years have taken steroids. Pitchers included. If more then half did, which im betting they did, I think you just have to accept it and move on. you cant ban everyone.

Why not?

improbus
02-08-2009, 07:39 AM
Both the players and MLB itself have played us like a fiddle for years. They knew exactly what was going on but were making too much money to care. Now that more and more allegations are out, they are in damage control mode and don't want to hurt their bottom line. They will not truly change anything unless absolutely forced.

If anyone thinks that the game is currently clean, bless their hearts. Players may need to try harder to hide their use, but any good chemist can get around some simple urine tests.

I normally side with the players union on most issues, but here they really dropped the ball. They have been protecting too many criminals for too long. I'm putting most of this at their feet.

texasdave
02-08-2009, 11:48 AM

I would. Steroids is going to take a lot more from baseball than it gave in the long run. I would opine that it already has. 61 was a magic number. 61 is gone now. Forever. And that magic number has disappeared all because players decided to cheat. 755 is gone as well. I am willing to bet that a large percentage of people who call themselves baseball fans no longer know what the current record is for lifetime home runs. Honestly, I don't. I would have to look it up. So now the numbers 73 and 762 have wrongfully taken their place in the record books. Does anyone care? Does anyone feel those are legitimate records? 73 will probably be there forever without the aid of steroids. And if any player ever does threaten that number, somewhere down the line, the whispers will begin. What is he on? That is what steroids has done to baseball. Throw the cheating dogs out of the game. Not for 50 games or a 100 games or a season. Throw them out forever. They have stolen something that baseball will never get back.

Mr.MojoRisin
02-08-2009, 02:50 PM
There is not a sign in every clubhouse stating NO STERIOD use, there is a sign in every clubhouse saying NO GAMBLING. Pete got what he deserved.

Man, someone alway has to pick on Pete. Pete didn't cheat. The winningest player ever, the holder of more records than anyone, and all steroid free, and he's picked on because he made bets.

mlh1981
02-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Good. Couldn't have happened to a more condescending jerk. The Bronx Zoo is back in effect. Yankees got this circus for 9 more years..............:p:

Ghosts of 1990
02-08-2009, 04:49 PM
NY Daily News writer says A-Rod is a bust for the Hall of Fame chances

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/02/07/2009-02-07_arod_a_total_bust_when_it_comes_to_baseb.html

Stephenk29
02-08-2009, 05:17 PM
This is simply never going to end and baseball will just never be the same. Very sad.

mlh1981
02-08-2009, 05:47 PM
This is simply never going to end and baseball will just never be the same. Very sad.

The game has survived worse things happening to it, though.

redsfanmia
02-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Man, someone alway has to pick on Pete. Pete didn't cheat. The winningest player ever, the holder of more records than anyone, and all steroid free, and he's picked on because he made bets.

He is picked on because he is an arrogant fool who thumbed his nose at the fans and MLB in general. Pete is a bad guy who got what he deserved.

redsfanmia
02-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Personally I wish all players to take steroids and to throw harder and hit the ball farther and harder.

mlh1981
02-08-2009, 11:04 PM
He is picked on because he is an arrogant fool who thumbed his nose at the fans and MLB in general. Pete is a bad guy who got what he deserved.

A lifetime ban, yeah, but not banisment from the Hall of Fame. His accomplisments between the lines speak for themselves. I know that "morality" is a very important trait, but there are lots of guys in the HOF that are scumbags as human beings.

George Foster
02-09-2009, 12:56 AM
wow Jose Canseco is right again! A-Rod was in the book!

I would bet my house that Bret Boone tested postitive as well when he was with Seattle. He got HUGE!!!

nemesis
02-09-2009, 03:06 AM
Ok. Im going to be blunt here. In the ORG they have a poll if you would use steriods for a oppurtunity to play baseball. The fact is everyday I goto the gym I see normal everyday guys using for no other reason than to get attention and get women. I am guilty of that as well. Ive used. Ive used alot. So to continue to act suprised when all these ball players are getting caught still just baffles me. Players who youve rooted for used... I'll lay it out. Larue used. Both Boones. A couple of pitchers as well. Vaughn was a catalist who brought that here with him in 99. It started that culture in Cincinnati. Its why he wasnt resigned. Period.

I mean if you had to do something illegal right now to keep your job. For fear you couldnt provide for your lifestyle your family, honestly not one of us would look at our kids and not at least think about it. Just like these players. Some did some didnt. Just like us. It suprises me that alot of peopkle think people arent using as much now adays. I would bet the farm on a few other guys right now that are still juiced big time... I like many juicers can spot another juicer. Anyone on here who has used knows what I am talking about. I dont think any Reds players are. That is something this franchise can hang its hat on. When all the crap about Vaughn came out, they did the right thing.

fadetoblack2880
02-09-2009, 09:03 AM
i say who cares. i know that MLB is in the wrong with this whole ordeal, but i'm sick of hearing about it. if it wasn't for the media, this world wouldn't be half bad. that said, i wasn't a bonds, clemens, or rodriguez fan before, i could care less what they do.

fadetoblack2880
02-09-2009, 09:07 AM
you know though, now that he's been linked to steriods, we can call him a-roid. haha. or roidriguez. what an idiot...

flash
02-09-2009, 09:28 AM
To talk about Rose and his betting along with illegal steroid usage is dangerous. Who sang about Rose to SI. A steroid pusher who hung around Rose for years. Then there was a report last year from a trainer about the 90 Reds and possible steroid usage. I can't remeber the details. Who was the manger before the 90 championship. None other than Cincinnati's favorite son.

smoke6
02-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Who ever coined the term A. Fraud was on the money!

Stephenk29
02-09-2009, 02:34 PM
I would bet my house that Bret Boone tested postitive as well when he was with Seattle. He got HUGE!!!

To me he has always been the most obvious user, even more than Bonds. He went from whimpy light hitter to huge with 45 bombs a year.

bounty37h
02-09-2009, 02:45 PM
It's so hard to draw a punishment line here. Back then, some of that garbage was legal, I'm not sure why. That's where baseball really messed up. But if I'm a player in the late 90s-early 2000s, I'm sure there is great temptation to try this legal drug that makes you stronger and better. All the more impressive are Adam Dunn's numbers with all these home run hitter allegations coming to fruition, that is, unless he was roided out, which there is no reason to believe.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

Dont confuse terms, it was in no way legal, it just was not in baseballs rulebooks at the time. It was still most certainly illegal by US law.

bounty37h
02-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Ok. Im going to be blunt here. In the ORG they have a poll if you would use steriods for a oppurtunity to play baseball. The fact is everyday I goto the gym I see normal everyday guys using for no other reason than to get attention and get women. I am guilty of that as well. Ive used. Ive used alot. So to continue to act suprised when all these ball players are getting caught still just baffles me. Players who youve rooted for used... I'll lay it out. Larue used. Both Boones. A couple of pitchers as well. Vaughn was a catalist who brought that here with him in 99. It started that culture in Cincinnati. Its why he wasnt resigned. Period.

I mean if you had to do something illegal right now to keep your job. For fear you couldnt provide for your lifestyle your family, honestly not one of us would look at our kids and not at least think about it. Just like these players. Some did some didnt. Just like us. It suprises me that alot of peopkle think people arent using as much now adays. I would bet the farm on a few other guys right now that are still juiced big time... I like many juicers can spot another juicer. Anyone on here who has used knows what I am talking about. I dont think any Reds players are. That is something this franchise can hang its hat on. When all the crap about Vaughn came out, they did the right thing.

Sad, you have to take steroids to get women dude???? Wow, I have heard people say that before, but never thought it was real, sorry to hear it man, better luck next time.

nemesis
02-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Sad, you have to take steroids to get women dude???? Wow, I have heard people say that before, but never thought it was real, sorry to hear it man, better luck next time.

Never had to take it to get them, in general but the build and body attracted a percieved higher quality of looking women. Went from the Amanda Bynes type to the Eva Longoria type. Both are attractive just one is percieved way hotter. Even though in truth, most of the women it attracts are more shallow than myself to do what I did to get their attention... Kinda an effort in futility.... lol

improbus
02-09-2009, 05:17 PM
So, now that A-Rod has admitted that he used, does that change anything?

On one side, A-Rod manned up and came clean (although he was very careful to say that he stopped after 2003 when players began getting tested and suspended). He has not followed the examples of Bonds and Clemens and denied until blue in the face, even when the evidence seems to be overwhelming.

On the other side, he admitted that he cheated and has proven that many of his numbers are chemically enhanced. He only admitted using because he got caught, not because of some altruism or sense of duty.

Here is what will be interesting. How will Yankee fans treat him. Their relationship is already strained. They have had to deal with the issues of Clemens, Pettitte, Giambi, and some others who have gotten in trouble. I will be very interested in seeing how this plays out.

Stephenk29
02-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Surprising that he admitted as much as he did.

redsfan1966
02-09-2009, 07:51 PM
An "A-Bomb on A-Rod"!!!!

I am already sick of those who feel this makes Dunn and Griffey look that much better--until the ENTIRE list is revealed; everyone is under suspicion...

mlh1981
02-09-2009, 07:55 PM

Makes sense for the fringe player to juice. They are legitimately worried about feeding their families. Some/alot probably have no other skills or education to fall back on. The question is, why are HOF guys like A-Rod and (lets assume) Bonds taking the juice?

mlh1981
02-09-2009, 07:56 PM
On one side, A-Rod manned up and came clean (although he was very careful to say that he stopped after 2003 when players began getting tested and suspended). He has not followed the examples of Bonds and Clemens and denied until blue in the face, even when the evidence seems to be overwhelming.

I respectfully disagree. He only fessed up because he was busted. Was he truly sorry? I don't think so. He was just sorry because he got caught, but granted, it's the right thing to do from a P.R. point of view, like you mentioned.

freestyle55
02-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Makes sense for the fringe player to juice. They are legitimately worried about feeding their families. Some/alot probably have no other skills or education to fall back on. The question is, why are HOF guys like A-Rod and (lets assume) Bonds taking the juice?

Probably because they think they'll go from a Hall of Famer to the greatest of all time...

Who do you think gets remembered more, Jimmie Foxx or Babe Ruth? Phil Rizzuto or Ernie Banks? Everyone at that level can be called a HOF'er, but not all of them could be the G.O.A.T....