PDA

View Full Version : Andruw Jones inks minor league deal w/ Rangers

smoke6
02-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Rangers, Jones agree to dealComment Email Print ESPN.com news services
Released by the Los Angeles Dodgers, Andruw Jones will have the opportunity to try to resurrect his career with the Texas Rangers.

Several media outlets reported Sunday that Texas will sign Jones to a minor league deal that will pay him $500,000 if he makes the major league team. He also will have the chance to make $1 million in incentives.

Jones

"He's a long shot to make the team as we sit today but an interesting reclamation project," Rangers general manager Jon Daniels told ESPN's Jerry Crasnick. Daniels also confirmed the deal will probably be announced within the next two days.

Jones reportedly turned down an offer from the New York Yankees to compete for an outfield spot. A source told the New York Post that Jones picked the Rangers so he could work with batting coach Rudy Jaramillo.

"He's certainly been a superstar for quite a few years," Rangers manager Ron Washington said, according to MLB.com. "These past few years have been down for him, but I like the fact that he brings 10 Gold Gloves, he's a winner and he fits well into our clubhouse. He has something to prove. We've got him in camp now, we'll see where he goes from here."

Heralded as the answer to the Dodgers' power-hitting void when he signed his rich two-year, $36.2 million contract in December 2007, Jones was injured part of last season and was mostly ineffective otherwise, hitting only .158 with three home runs and 14 RBIs in 75 games.

The 31-year-old center fielder reported to spring training overweight, then was booed roundly by fans as he struggled at the plate during the season. He had knee surgery in May and finished the season on the bench as the Dodgers won the NL West and beat the Chicago Cubs in the NL divisional series before losing to Philadelphia in the NL Championship Series.

Jones asked to be traded after that and the Dodgers tried, but found no takers. The Dodgers owe Jones $22.1 million, which he'll receive over the next six years.

When the Dodgers added Manny Ramirez in a trade deadline deal July 31, that left Jones with minimal opportunities. But with the staggering performance by Ramirez (.396 with 17 homers and 53 RBIs in 53 games) and the fine work of fellow outfielders Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier, Jones was hardly missed.

Jones came to Los Angeles as a five-time All-Star who had won 10 straight Gold Gloves with the Atlanta Braves and as one of 10 players in baseball history to hit 300 homers before the age of 30. He had 342, tying him with Mel Ott and Henry Aaron for the sixth-youngest player to reach that milestone.

Jerome
02-09-2009, 09:59 AM
This guy has to have some bat left. Definitely worth $500,000 and a minor league contract. I'd be just as willing to watch him compete as I would Jacque Jones or Jonny Gomes. I know he's had a terrible, terrible last couple years, but maybe he needs a scene change or something. I don't know.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

cincycat30
02-09-2009, 10:35 AM
I also find it hard to believe that Jones has nothing left in the tank. He is only 31 and it's hard to believe that someone could go from being a superstar in the league to a nothing in the blink of an eye. I'm not saying he will be a star, but I would be surprised if he doesn't become a solid contributor for the Rangers.

smoke6
02-09-2009, 10:42 AM
That gives the Rangers the CF they need to move Hamilton to RF. I wish we took that chance.

BPhillips4
02-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Wow, a minor league deal? Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Orodle
02-09-2009, 11:58 AM
I know he has fallen off in recent years but was shocked all he could get was a minor league deal.

#1. He needs to cut weight and get back into shape

#2. Work out all the holes he has developed in his hitting mechanics. He slowly developed a ton of bad habits.

If I were running a team I would offer him 5million over 3 years. If hes dedicated to getting into shape and working his a hitting instructor I think a talent like his could get back to helping a team within a season. And if he could get back to being even just half the player he once was then I would have gotten more than my money's worth.

bounty37h
02-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Might not be that much a coincidence he has declined overnight, oddly, right around time steroid use being faught.....Nothing to go on, but pointing out possiblity to those wondering how he dropped off face of earth overnight.

Newman4
02-09-2009, 02:13 PM
I thought he would come cheap, but not that cheap. Good gamble for the Rangers. I wish the Reds would do something at all this off season to give us some hope.

Orodle
02-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Might not be that much a coincidence he has declined overnight, oddly, right around time steroid use being faught.....Nothing to go on, but pointing out possiblity to those wondering how he dropped off face of earth overnight.

I'm not gunna say that he wasnt on steriods but getting off of them wouldnt create such a decline like he has had. His batting mechanics have fallen off the planet compared to when he first came up. HOWEVER, maybe mentally he felt he needed to swing harder to make up for not using performance enhancing drugs thus causing changes in his mechanics?

Anywho I dont want to make it look like I'm accusing him of taking them....just discussion.