PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's tips

nate
02-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Hey, hey...it's that time of year again where we shower our significant others with sugar!

So share your tips, secrets and warnings ("my wife somehow didn't like the Dyson vacuum cleaner I got her...hmm") here.

redsbuckeye
02-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Hey, hey...it's that time of year again where we shower our significant others with sugar!

So share your tips, secrets and warnings ("my wife somehow didn't like the Dyson vacuum cleaner I got her...hmm") here.

Yeah I need ideas too. Thought about a Vermont Teddy Bear but those things are expensive and don't look all that cuddly (Highlifeman is more cuddly than they probably are).

Hoosier Red
02-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Dinner the night before Valentines' is great, avoid the hastle and the crowds. Then you can spend Valentine's day together at home( or at a roller derby whichever floats your boat.)

Chip R
02-09-2009, 04:16 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about Javy. :(

Highlifeman21
02-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Yeah I need ideas too. Thought about a Vermont Teddy Bear but those things are expensive and don't look all that cuddly (Highlifeman is more cuddly than they probably are).

You're dang right I'm more cuddly than a Vermont Teddy Bear!

UKFlounder
02-09-2009, 05:02 PM

So she thought it sucked? :p:

Try this:
http://markstegall.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/white-castle.png

Reds4Life
02-09-2009, 05:04 PM
For a gift, get her a day at the spa, women love that crap.

TRF
02-09-2009, 05:16 PM
I 100% completely ignore this holiday. Hate it with all my being. I never get the wife anything.

3 weeks later it's our Anniversary. I save it for then.

paintmered
02-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Dinner the night before Valentines' is great, avoid the hastle and the crowds. Then you can spend Valentine's day together at home( or at a roller derby whichever floats your boat.)

Especially since Valentine's Day is on Saturday this year. Nothing says "I love you" like waiting three hours for a table at Olive Garden.

nate
02-09-2009, 05:26 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about Javy. :(

That's "Valentin's Day" - every day that ends in "Y" at Chez Chip!

nate
02-09-2009, 05:27 PM
So she thought it sucked? :p:

Try this:
http://markstegall.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/white-castle.png

That'll probably go over like a fart in a spacesuit.

RichRed
02-09-2009, 05:53 PM
White Castle? What am I, made of money???

SunDeck
02-09-2009, 06:10 PM
I 100% completely ignore this holiday. Hate it with all my being. I never get the wife anything.

3 weeks later it's our Anniversary. I save it for then.

Aren't we exempt, being married and all? That's my excuse and it's been working now for 17 years. :thumbup:

redsfan1966
02-09-2009, 06:59 PM
I have been talked into cooking dinner for my wife on Valentine's Day...so when the press release comes out about a 3 Alarm Fire in Columbus, you can say you heard it here first...

Dom Heffner
02-09-2009, 09:02 PM
One water, two straws.

Red in Chicago
02-09-2009, 09:44 PM
One water, two straws.

ewwww;)

pedro
02-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Especially since Valentine's Day is on Saturday this year. Nothing says "I love you" like waiting three hours for a table at Olive Garden.

Nothing says " I love you" like never taking someone to the Olive Garden for any reason.

Roy Tucker
02-09-2009, 11:51 PM
My wife doesn't like cut flowers. She'd rather get something that will live more than a couple days.

When Valentines Day is during the week, I'll make a meatloaf in the shape of a heart. I draw a heart on top with ketchup. What a romantic I am ;)

If its on a Sat. night, we'll make a nice dinner at home with a nice bottle of wine, a fire in the fireplace, and a good DVD. My wife will fall asleep about 10 and I'll watch the movie and polish off the wine.

Caveat Emperor
02-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Nothing says " I love you" like never taking someone to the Olive Garden for any reason.

Personally I like to munch on breadsticks for a while, suck back a few waters, and then tell the girl it's time to go before the waiter comes around for the 5th time to see if we're "still deciding."

It's a classy way to show a girl a good time. :cool:

cincyinco
02-10-2009, 06:02 AM
Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I have to work...

then me and the wife are hitting up a "rave" for ol times sake.

Should be interesting.

Highlifeman21
02-10-2009, 07:17 AM

Should be interesting.

They still have raves?

PedroBourbon
02-10-2009, 07:42 AM
Another no no for you younger guys. My wife was not happy with her gift last year. She hinted she wanted a new vehicle but was not at all happy with the broom I got her to ride on. It had the soft rubber handle and everything! They can be so confusing sometimes, say one thing, mean another.......

durl
02-10-2009, 09:21 AM
Let's face it, Valentine's Day is an event for women that are married or have a boyfriend. It means a LOT to them. (Single women seem to loathe the day.) Basically, men have to go to extraordinary means to show their love to the woman in their life.

So what's the special day for men? What day do women have to show their love to us? Or do men simply not need to have the display?

klw
02-10-2009, 10:06 AM
So what's the special day for men?

Wouldn't most say Super Bowl Sunday or, here, Opening Day (especially if it coincides with the NCAA final?

nate
02-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Let's face it, Valentine's Day is an event for women that are married or have a boyfriend. It means a LOT to them. (Single women seem to loathe the day.) Basically, men have to go to extraordinary means to show their love to the woman in their life.

So what's the special day for men? What day do women have to show their love to us? Or do men simply not need to have the display?

In Japan they have that. There's Valentine's Day for the ladies and then "White Day" for the guys.

It was, of course, started by the candy making industry!

Degenerate39
02-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Always bring protection

You dont know how many crazy thugs are out there on valentine's day

gonelong
02-10-2009, 12:41 PM
I used to not celebrate any of these days, however, as I age I tend to appreciate them more.

I let my wife know I love her in many ways throughout the year, but I don't have a problem having a few special days where I go the extra mile on a specific day to reinforce it. Being married, it's easy enough to fall into a rut, these days make a good reminder that it's time to shake things up a bit and remind her that she is more than a Mom or my room mate.

For me it's literally as easy as paying a bit of attention during the year and making a few notes in a notebook I keep at work. If she's flipping through a magazine and makes a comment, I put up a bit of a conversation, make a mental note, and put it on the list the next day. She's happy that I am showing some interest in a day-to-day fashion as well as being surprised when she receives a token of my appreciation from time-to-time that demonstrates that I took the care to remember something of interest to her.

GL

Caveat Emperor
02-10-2009, 12:59 PM
I've actually managed to never be attached to anyone for a Valentine's Day.

I don't know whether I should be happy about that or close my office door and sob softly to myself.

durl
02-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Wouldn't most say Super Bowl Sunday or, here, Opening Day (especially if it coincides with the NCAA final?

I see the point, but Valentine's Day is essentially "show me that you love me by doing something special for me." Super Bowl Sunday or Opening Day is pretty much "Let me watch the game. Thanks." :D

One involves actively doing something for the woman. The other involves leaving the man alone.:)

WebScorpion
02-10-2009, 01:32 PM
I see the point, but Valentine's Day is essentially "show me that you love me by doing something special for me." Super Bowl Sunday or Opening Day is pretty much "Let me watch the game. Thanks." :D

One involves actively doing something for the woman. The other involves leaving the man alone.:)

You're a woman aren't you? :D Or at least not married...

Leaving me alone in my cave, (and maybe supplying me with food, beer, or both!) DOES show me she loves me.

I usually give my wife breakfast in bed on Valentine's Day and since it's a weekend this year, I'll watch the kids and let her sleep in. I also give her and each of my daughters a rose and a note telling them what I love about each of them. Maybe I'll enlist the daughters to help make heart-shaped French Toast (my wife's favorite breakfast) http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/cupid.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

cumberlandreds
02-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Last year I gave my wife tickets to the ballet at the Kennedy Center. I told her that was her Valentine's present for the next ten years. So I'm good until 2018. I think.....

HeatherC1212
02-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Top Ten Places for Singles to Avoid on Valentine's Day (http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-25268376)

Just an FYI for any of the other single folks on this board. I'll be avoiding what I've termed 'Black Saturday' by watching some DVDs and going through pictures of my recent vacation which I've been putting off for a while and needs to get done anyway. It's nice that some of you guys do special things for your sig others on V-Day. :)

OldRightHander
02-10-2009, 02:15 PM

Should be interesting.

I'm trying to get a load out of your neck of the woods so I can make it home in time. My wife's not much into Valentine's Day, but we usually just go out somewhere for a decent dinner.

LoganBuck
02-10-2009, 02:51 PM
My wife asked me the dreaded question this morning, "What are we doing for Valentine's Day."

I said we have gift certificates for Buffalo Wild Wings! She wasn't impressed. I am vexed......

durl
02-10-2009, 04:02 PM
You're a woman aren't you? :D Or at least not married...

Leaving me alone in my cave, (and maybe supplying me with food, beer, or both!) DOES show me she loves me.

I usually give my wife breakfast in bed on Valentine's Day and since it's a weekend this year, I'll watch the kids and let her sleep in. I also give her and each of my daughters a rose and a note telling them what I love about each of them. Maybe I'll enlist the daughters to help make heart-shaped French Toast (my wife's favorite breakfast) http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/cupid.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

All man here, pal. :D

I suppose you're right. Let me watch the game in peace without distractions is a pretty good present.

Sea Ray
02-10-2009, 04:35 PM
My wife and I have an understanding: we don't do any Hallmark holidays and she's fine with including Valentine's Day as one of those. We don't do Sweetest Day, Boss' Day, Secretary's Day, Grandparent's Day and any others I might have missed. Normally we go out on Saturday night but no way will we venture out this Saturday night. This Valentine's Day we'll go to a friend's house and drink beer, eat pizza and sort boxes of girl scout cookies.

Highlifeman21
02-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Always bring protection

You dont know how many crazy thugs are out there on valentine's day

That's why you gotta roll with Edinson Volquez.

He rolls dirty.

15fan
02-10-2009, 08:01 PM
We'll be spending the weekend at her parents' house helping her mom recover from some surgery.

We're also pricing out a kitchen remodel. Thus, there is an agreement that Valentine's Day is to be a low key event.

(As is, I'm hoping, Mother's Day, her birthday, and our anniversary which all fall within about 4 weeks of each other every spring/summer, or about the time the kitchen project will be done...)

pedro
02-10-2009, 09:19 PM
We'll be spending the weekend at her parents' house helping her mom recover from some surgery.

We're also pricing out a kitchen remodel. Thus, there is an agreement that Valentine's Day is to be a low key event.

(As is, I'm hoping, Mother's Day, her birthday, and our anniversary which all fall within about 4 weeks of each other every spring/summer, or about the time the kitchen project will be done...)

I just went through a kitchen remodel 15fan and settled on new cabinets from Ikea. I'm very happy with them and they were quite affordable.

15fan
02-10-2009, 10:04 PM
I just went through a kitchen remodel 15fan and settled on new cabinets from Ikea. I'm very happy with them and they were quite affordable.

Cool. IKEA does indeed rule. I only wish that we had one around here when we first got out of college.

It looks like we're going to be able to match our existing cabinets in the renovation. Previous owner did a small renovation about 6-7 years ago. We're looking to replace the granite, and extend the counter by bricking in an exterior door that never gets used. If we can pull that off, that will save us a good chunk of change by not having to replace all of the cabinets.

My wife's employer also has a deal where she can buy GE appliances for 40% off list price, so we'll definitely be taking advantage of that perk.

deltachi8
02-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Because it falls on the weekend, I need to be up early. We planned actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time.

cincyinco
02-11-2009, 03:14 AM
They still have raves?

Well, I suppose it may not necessarily be one in the most traditional sense... But yeah.. Electronica music, DJ's, lasers, fog machines, black lights, dancing.. Amongst other things.

cincyinco
02-11-2009, 05:03 AM
I'm trying to get a load out of your neck of the woods so I can make it home in time. My wife's not much into Valentine's Day, but we usually just go out somewhere for a decent dinner.

Hope you make it ORH! Don't get caught in this front that's moved through tonight.

TRF
02-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Aren't we exempt, being married and all? That's my excuse and it's been working now for 17 years. :thumbup:

coming up on 15 for us.

And hell yeah we ought to be exempt. I don't need a specific day to say "I love you". Any day ending in Y will do.

OldRightHander
02-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Hope you make it ORH! Don't get caught in this front that's moved through tonight.

Still here. Sitting at the Flying J in Aurora.

Highlifeman21
02-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Well, I suppose it may not necessarily be one in the most traditional sense... But yeah.. Electronica music, DJ's, lasers, fog machines, black lights, dancing.. Amongst other things.

What about glowsticks?

cincyinco
02-12-2009, 05:23 AM
What about glowsticks?

Glowsticks?

Oh yes, there will be glowsticks my friend.

You won't see me sporting any, however. ;)

cincyinco
02-12-2009, 05:28 AM
Still here. Sitting at the Flying J in Aurora.

I know the flying j.. Don't ask me how.. I currently work in aurora, we were within 10 miles of each other easy...

Whoa.. Heh. :)

Turned out to be a nice day today, but they say another storm is here Thursday..

You need to find better places to hang out. ;)

redsbuckeye
02-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Here's the idea I came up with: got one of those electronic picture frames that can do a slide show. I'm gonna put a bunch of couples pictures of us on it with little cutsey captions.

That oughta keep her buttered up for a while.

SunDeck
02-12-2009, 12:01 PM
My wife and I have an understanding: we don't do any Hallmark holidays and she's fine with including Valentine's Day as one of those. We don't do Sweetest Day, Boss' Day, Secretary's Day....

So, which one of you is the boss and which one is the secretary?

BRM
02-12-2009, 12:13 PM
The WilyMoRocks special - 30 pack of Natty Light and a sack of White Castles.

SunDeck
02-12-2009, 12:51 PM

WilyMo, the pompatus of love.

BoydsOfSummer
02-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Break up a week before, like me and the girly-friend did. It really takes the Valentines Day pressure off! :rolleyes:

Love stinks...yeah, yeah...

cincyinco
02-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Break up a week before, like me and the girly-friend did. It really takes the Valentines Day pressure off! :rolleyes:

Love stinks...yeah, yeah...

Maybe it was your second earlobe.. ;)

Seriously though, I am sorry to hear of your woes, good buddy.. I hope your heart mends soon.

BoydsOfSummer
02-12-2009, 04:27 PM
:laugh:

It's rough for a freak like me to get some play!

JBChance
02-12-2009, 11:41 PM
I used to not celebrate any of these days, however, as I age I tend to appreciate them more.

I let my wife know I love her in many ways throughout the year, but I don't have a problem having a few special days where I go the extra mile on a specific day to reinforce it. Being married, it's easy enough to fall into a rut, these days make a good reminder that it's time to shake things up a bit and remind her that she is more than a Mom or my room mate

That hits it on the head for me too. The rut gets deep w/3 kids. I love them dearly, but everyone needs sometime off and have some conversation that doesn't have anything to do with Elmo, diapers, bottles, etc.

We usually go out (w/o kids) and have a dinner together, maybe a movie. A couple of $2.50 chocolate strawberries, and its all good.

It doesn't take a ton of effort, but its worth it, in my case.
I took 5 min. to call for a reservation last week (do it early) and I'm all set.

Highlifeman21
02-13-2009, 01:03 AM

... that she pays for.

Playadlc
02-13-2009, 01:32 AM
Last year I gave my wife tickets to the ballet at the Kennedy Center. I told her that was her Valentine's present for the next ten years. So I'm good until 2018. I think.....

I need help here...

The wife has been hammering me for the last year about going to the ballet. I put it off for a while, but I figure if I am going to go I might as well go on Valentine's Day, so I booked us two tickets to see Cinderella at the Kentucky Center for the Arts.

My only question is this...what do I wear? I really have no idea. Do I need to wear a suit? What did you wear? What is proper ballet attire?

Jpup
02-13-2009, 02:43 AM
I need help here...

The wife has been hammering me for the last year about going to the ballet. I put it off for a while, but I figure if I am going to go I might as well go on Valentine's Day, so I booked us two tickets to see Cinderella at the Kentucky Center for the Arts.

My only question is this...what do I wear? I really have no idea. Do I need to wear a suit? What did you wear? What is proper ballet attire?

flip flops and cut off shorts should work.;)

SunDeck
02-13-2009, 06:16 AM
I need help here...

There will be people dressed all sorts of ways at the ballet (or opera or symphony). It seems there really is hardly a standard anymore, but you are likely to see a fair number of people who still dress up. You can put an exclamation point on the occasion for you and the missus by dressing nicely; you can NEVER be wrong with a tie and jacket.

Or go with the flip flop suggestion and see how that works out.

TeamSelig
02-13-2009, 07:19 AM
Last year I got one of those huge cards from Big Lots (probably at wal mart too)... they are about 3 ft tall lol pretty cool... makes buying 'just a card' acceptable because its huge. They are pretty cheap too, like $3 I think.

SunDeck
02-13-2009, 07:50 AM
They are pretty cheap too, like $3 I think.

Because nothing says "Be my Valentine" like spending as little money as possible. :thumbup:

nate
02-13-2009, 09:11 AM
I need help here...

It's ballet so obviously you wear a leotard.

cumberlandreds
02-13-2009, 09:35 AM
I need help here...

Just saw this. I wore a suit and tie but it was the Kennedy Center and that is pretty much expected there if you go to the ballet. A funny story about this. I kidded my wife about wearing a ball cap to the ballet with my suit. She said it they wouldn't allow and she would kill me if I did. Well we got to our seats and few minutes later a family came in front us to sit and the man was wearing a George Mason ball cap. I couldn't believe it and I told my wife,"see I could have worn my Kentucky cap!". She just rolled her eyes. The man did take it off after he sat down. Just really funny.
Actually it was a good expierence to go. The featured dancers were from Russia and are considered the two of the best in world. They are husband and wife but I don't remember their names. The names were about two miles long. FWIW,Sleeping Beauty was the theme of the ballet.

Chip R
02-13-2009, 12:52 PM
I need help here...

I think a shirt, tie and slacks would be adequate.

RFS62
02-13-2009, 01:35 PM
I think a shirt, tie and slacks would be adequate.

That's what you wore to that Miley Cyrus concert, isn't it?

:cool:

Chip R
02-13-2009, 01:45 PM
That's what you wore to that Miley Cyrus concert, isn't it?

:cool:

It was the best of both worlds.

RichRed
02-13-2009, 02:14 PM
My wife and I are sanding and refinishing our wood floors on Valentine's Day. Love - and sawdust - will be in the air.

AtomicDumpling
02-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Buy her lots of chocolates. Get the good ones -- no Hershey, Russell Stover or Whitman's. Chocolates always get a girl in a good mood. Trust me, it works. There are mood-enhancing chemicals in chocolate. :cool:

This only works if you get candy with lots of real chocolate. Hershey contains hardly any real chocolate.

Somebody earlier suggested breakfast in bed with heart-shaped french toast. That is a great idea. Very easy and should pay off well. I will try that tomorrow if I can get my butt out of bed before noon.

VR
02-14-2009, 01:07 AM
Holy cow....this is the lousiest group of 'romantics' I could ever imagine.
It's a good thing we can all talk some good baseball!

Nothing says romance on Valentines day like the top 5 Redszone suggestions....

1. Skip it
2. White Castle
3. Olive Garden
4. Glowsticks
5. Seriously, Skip it.

Ya'll better hope your wives/ girlfriends aren't checking your posts on RZ!:clap::clap::luvu::luvu:

JBChance
02-14-2009, 01:18 AM
Holy cow....this is the lousiest group of 'romantics' I could ever imagine.
It's a good thing we can all talk some good baseball!

Nothing says romance on Valentines day like the top 5 Redszone suggestions....

1. Skip it
2. White Castle
3. Olive Garden
4. Glowsticks
5. Seriously, Skip it.

Ya'll better hope your wives/ girlfriends aren't checking your posts on RZ!

Probably just all talk. They'll all be out at after last call, scouring Walmart for a Whitman's sampler and a smarta$$ greeting card :D

VR
02-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Probably just all talk. They'll all be out at after last call, scouring Walmart for a Whitman's sampler and a smarta$$ greeting card :D

:clap:

Red in Chicago
02-14-2009, 07:39 PM
I spent Valentine's Day with my parents at the Chicago Auto Show. We had a great time.

vaticanplum
02-22-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm late to the party here, but I want to chime in and say that Valentine's Day at White Castle is actually incredible, and I'm not being ironic. They put out tablecloths and candles and have table service, and they take a polaroid of each couple and stick it in a little souvenir card. I know a couple who goes there on Valentine's Day every year -- it's totally perfect for them, a way to celebrate something that they inherently think is ridiculous (and a cheap way to boot). I'd do it myself if I weren't vegetarian.

Highlifeman21
02-22-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm late to the party here, but I want to chime in and say that Valentine's Day at White Castle is actually incredible, and I'm not being ironic. They put out tablecloths and candles and have table service, and they take a polaroid of each couple and stick it in a little souvenir card. I know a couple who goes there on Valentine's Day every year -- it's totally perfect for them, a way to celebrate something that they inherently think is ridiculous (and a cheap way to boot). I'd do it myself if I weren't vegetarian.

Are you sure what White Castle serves is actually meat?

You might still be ok.