PDA

View Full Version : If Jocketty were fired or retired today, who would you hire to replace him?

OnBaseMachine
02-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Simple question: If Walt Jocketty was fired today or just decided to retire, who would you want the Reds to hire to replace him?

I would be thrilled with any of these three:

Jed Hoyer (Red Sox Assistant GM)
Paul DePodesta (Padres Executive Vice President)
Chris Antonetti (Indians Assistant GM)

LoganBuck
02-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Simple question: If Walt Jocketty was fired today or just decided to retire, who would you want the Reds to hire to replace him?

Who would you want to see hired?

Co GMs Bonifay and Bavasi!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

missionhockey21
02-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Kim Ng or Paul Depodesta.

KronoRed
02-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Co GMs Bonifay and Bavasi!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Well that's the correct answer.

Recycle! :D

westofyou
02-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Branch Rickey or George Weiss

Otherwise let's quit playing revolving doors with the GM position.

Mario-Rijo
02-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Wayne Krivsky

HotCorner
02-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Tom Emanski

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_xOucMyZgY

wheels
02-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Branch Rickey or George Weiss

Does it appear to you that Walt might just be running out the clock?

I'm not quite sure, myself. Thing is, it didn't seem as though he was excited to have the job, and hedged a bit at the onset. Maybe that was more out of respect for Wayne Krivsky. Whatever it was made me feel as though he might not be in it 100%.

Do you think his replacements are already in house due to the hiring of Bavasi/Bonifay? Is he setting the franchise up for his departure and retirement in a year or so?

If the plan is to have Walt tread water for a year or two, and then hand the reigns over to the likes of Bavasi.....Well then I'm not sure this franchise will ever improve on the field.

WMR
02-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Paul DePo

IowaRed
02-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Paul DePo

me too and his first order of business would be to fill the newly vacant manager position :)

Strikes Out Looking
02-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Since it's not going to happen, I'll say Leatherpants.

westofyou
02-10-2009, 03:42 PM

The guy hasn't been on the job for a year yet.

Maybe the GM position isn't the position that hurts the Reds the most?

Bavasi will never GM a team again, never.

Falls City Beer
02-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Now may be the time for getting a stat guy; if a candidate can come in here and guarantee a champion on an Expos' payroll, Castellini's gonna be all ears.

I could see them peeling off a guy from the Rays, as they are the latest symbol of victory on the cheap.

Aw, who am I kidding, it'll be some doof like Bavasi.

Ltlabner
02-10-2009, 03:45 PM
It will be Bavasi and/or Bonifay.

The Reds simply can't help shooting themselves in the foot. Especially with BCast brandishing the firearm.

Falls City Beer
02-10-2009, 03:47 PM
It will be Bavasi and/or Bonifay.

The Reds simply can't help shooting themselves in the foot. Especially with BCast brandishing the firearm.

Bonifay has been so far away from relevance for so long even I can't see him getting the nod.

lollipopcurve

Agree. But if Jocketty were to move up to club president and oversee a GM of his choosing, I'd be fine with that level of continuity.

Reds4Life
I'd like DePodesta, but in reality it would be a loser like Bavasi. Walt isn't going to be fired, Cast seems to bow at his feet. If he leaves, it will be because he doesn't care and decides to retire.

wheels
02-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Bonifay has been so far away from relevance for so long even I can't see him getting the nod.

He's a Baseball Guy.

They never go away.

Benihana
02-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Myself, duh! :beerme:

durl
02-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Anyone on this board who wants Jocketty fired at this point.

wheels
02-10-2009, 04:14 PM

No. He just needs a kick in the pants.

He's been stuck in neutral since he got here, and I know he can do better.

The early returns aren't good, but at least he's got a track record we can look at.

Jpup
02-10-2009, 04:17 PM
I've wanted DePo for years and years, but my second choice would be Dan Jennings (Asst. GM) from Florida probably. I believe Jennings has interviewed with the Reds in the past.

Unassisted
02-10-2009, 04:19 PM

<snip>

Do you think his replacements are already in house due to the hiring of Bavasi/Bonifay? Is he setting the franchise up for his departure and retirement in a year or so?

If the plan is to have Walt tread water for a year or two, and then hand the reigns over to the likes of Bavasi.....Well then I'm not sure this franchise will ever improve on the field.
I've said before that I don't think Walt will enjoy helming a cash-strapped ballclub. I'll be surprised if he's still the GM at the end of 2010, or maybe a year sooner if the 2009 budget-cutting is severe.

I think his replacement will be whoever he anoints and will likely come from within.

RFS62
02-10-2009, 04:33 PM

This is what's so absurd about the immediate reaction when we hired Jocketty. "The losing stops now!!" What a load of crap. The idea that even Branch Rickey could move in and immediately start making blockbuster deals in our favor is just fantasy.

You have to do your due diligence. This is an executive position under the most intense spotlight. Jocketty had to completely familiarize himself with the personnel.

Immediate changes would have been irresponsible. He made such comments himself, and I agree. That was one of the things that rankled so many about the way Krivsky was sacked, with the bogus reason that Jocketty would immediately right the ship ...... "the losing stops now". That was the public proclamation from the owner of the club.

Everyone knew better. Castellini didn't do Jocketty any favors with that rambling mess.

wheels
02-10-2009, 04:41 PM
This is what's so absurd about the immediate reaction when we hired Jocketty. "The losing stops now!!" What a load of crap. The idea that even Branch Rickey could move in and immediately start making blockbuster deals in our favor is just fantasy.

You have to do your due diligence. This is an executive position under the most intense spotlight. Jocketty had to completely familiarize himself with the personnel.

Immediate changes would have been irresponsible. He made such comments himself, and I agree. That was one of the things that rankled so many about the way Krivsky was sacked, with the bogus reason that Jocketty would immediately right the ship ...... "the losing stops now". That was the public proclamation from the owner of the club.

Everyone knew better. Castellini didn't do Jocketty any favors with that rambling mess.

I agree with you.

Mostly.

In regards to trades, you're spot on.

When it comes to free agency on the other hand, you've got to admit Walt could have shown us some of the acumen that won him a Championship. As it is (in free agency), we've seen a lot of Dan O'Brien in Walt Jocketty. Of course that's just my hyperbole, but I think you get my point.

Some mistakes have been made, and they aren't the type that can be explained away by our (the fans) lack of patience for the new guy.

I still believe Jocketty is better than he has shown. I'd just like "Good Walt" to materialize before the franchise plummets further into the abyss.

MikeS21
02-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Antonelli would be my first choice, and DePo would be my second choice. But I see both withdrawing their name from consideration almost immediately.

As someone said, the Reds seem to always shoot themselves in the foot. And unfortunately, we've gone through three different owners, but we're still hanging on to the same rifle.

*BaseClogger*
02-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Every organization in the world, including the Mexican Pacific League, wants DePo running their ship. It ain't gonna happen. As for who should take over, at this specific point in time I'd give it to M2. That man is so pissed off this offseason I don't think there is anything that could stop him... :thumbup: ;)

durl
02-10-2009, 05:33 PM
I agree with you.

Mostly.

In regards to trades, you're spot on.

When it comes to free agency on the other hand, you've got to admit Walt could have shown us some of the acumen that won him a Championship. As it is (in free agency), we've seen a lot of Dan O'Brien in Walt Jocketty. Of course that's just my hyperbole, but I think you get my point.

Some mistakes have been made, and they aren't the type that can be explained away by our (the fans) lack of patience for the new guy.

I still believe Jocketty is better than he has shown. I'd just like "Good Walt" to materialize before the franchise plummets further into the abyss.

What mistakes would you credit to Jocketty and why are they mistakes?

And what decisions do you believe Walt should have made to show the "good Walt" keeping in mind the economic climate and the type of money a lot of free agents were calling for earlier in the year.

RedEye
02-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Maybe Brad Pitt could come in and run the team on an interim basis while he's doing his research for playing the role of Billy Beane in Moneyball.

WMR
02-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Every organization in the world, including the Mexican Pacific League, wants DePo running their ship. It ain't gonna happen. As for who should take over, at this specific point in time I'd give it to M2. That man is so pissed off this offseason I don't think there is anything that could stop him... :thumbup: ;)

You don't know that at all.

Throw a lucrative enough deal at him and anything is possible.

If I were the owner I'd give him a Billy Beane type deal (i.e. some equity in the ballclub), turn the reins over to him completely, and shut the hell up. Permanently. (Or at least until the World Series Victory Parade at Fountain Square.)

jojo
02-10-2009, 06:23 PM

Good choices but DePodesta and Antonetti wouldn't be realistic options. DePodesta has chosen San Diego for family reasons and has indicated he hopes to retire a Padre. Antonetti has had multiple opportunities to leave Cleveland and some of them have been good ones. He seems intent on inheriting the throne in Cleveland.

wheels
02-10-2009, 07:15 PM
What mistakes would you credit to Jocketty and why are they mistakes?

And what decisions do you believe Walt should have made to show the "good Walt" keeping in mind the economic climate and the type of money a lot of free agents were calling for earlier in the year.

Re signing Hairston, signing Taveras, thusly not giving Chris Dickerson a realistic shot, and most importantly not really addressing the teams offensive shortcomings while other clubs trade for and attain hitters(Swisher, Willingham) the Reds sorely need in exchange for players the Reds system could easily trump.

The "why" to that question has been answered in numerous threads on this site over the past few months (I bet you already know what I would say anyway:p:).

A real direction (either a total rebuild, or totally go for it) has yet to become apparent to me, and that issue is being debated in M2's most recent thread.

I know Jocketty's capable of better things, and I've seen him apply that in St. Louis far more often than not, and that's why I'm not giving up on him just yet.

What irks me is that he's been far to willing to throw his hands up because of parameters laid out to him by management. If they don't want him to bring the higher priced names into the fold, I wish he would dig a little deeper to find guys that could actually work within those parameters. Maybe he thinks Willy Taveras is that type of player, but I think he's been around the block enough times to know that it probably isn't the case. He needed bats in St. Louis and came up with Will Clark, Larry Walker, Scott Rolen, and Mark McGwire. His new club desperately needs a bat or two and he comes up with Jerry Hairston, Johnny Gomes, Laynce Nix, and Willy Taveras.

Blame the money situation all you want, but he can do better.

Will he? I think so, but it's going to take some effort. The real question in my mind....Is he willing to make that effort at this stage in his career?

Time will tell.

Good questions, btw.

MikeS21
02-10-2009, 08:02 PM
You don't know that at all.

Throw a lucrative enough deal at him and anything is possible.

If I were the owner I'd give him a Billy Beane type deal (i.e. some equity in the ballclub), turn the reins over to him completely, and shut the hell up. Permanently. (Or at least until the World Series Victory Parade at Fountain Square.)
I'm not sure I agree with that. If money were everything, I should think DePo and Antonelli both could make a LOT of money outside baseball. And both of these guys have MBA's I think.

If I'm not mistaken, Antonelli had a huge role in developing Cleveland's Diamond Mind software. With the state of the economy, any Fortune 500 company would love to have similar software developed for their companies.

One thing I believe is a mistake is to accuse Castelinni of being cheap. He may be a lot of things, but cheap ain't one of them. Just because he has laid off the current free agent market, that doesn't make him cheap. It just means he hasn't caved in to highway robbery, which most of the top free agents are trying for.

Topcat
02-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Wayne Krivsky

Yup as he should still be :beerme:

Vada Pinson Fan
02-11-2009, 01:12 AM
Kim Ng. It's time.

durl
02-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Re signing Hairston, signing Taveras, thusly not giving Chris Dickerson a realistic shot, and most importantly not really addressing the teams offensive shortcomings while other clubs trade for and attain hitters(Swisher, Willingham) the Reds sorely need in exchange for players the Reds system could easily trump.

The "why" to that question has been answered in numerous threads on this site over the past few months (I bet you already know what I would say anyway:p:).

A real direction (either a total rebuild, or totally go for it) has yet to become apparent to me, and that issue is being debated in M2's most recent thread.

I know Jocketty's capable of better things, and I've seen him apply that in St. Louis far more often than not, and that's why I'm not giving up on him just yet.

What irks me is that he's been far to willing to throw his hands up because of parameters laid out to him by management. If they don't want him to bring the higher priced names into the fold, I wish he would dig a little deeper to find guys that could actually work within those parameters. Maybe he thinks Willy Taveras is that type of player, but I think he's been around the block enough times to know that it probably isn't the case. He needed bats in St. Louis and came up with Will Clark, Larry Walker, Scott Rolen, and Mark McGwire. His new club desperately needs a bat or two and he comes up with Jerry Hairston, Johnny Gomes, Laynce Nix, and Willy Taveras.

Blame the money situation all you want, but he can do better.

Will he? I think so, but it's going to take some effort. The real question in my mind....Is he willing to make that effort at this stage in his career?

Time will tell.

Good questions, btw.

There are a lot of factors that come into play and money is a big one for Cincinnati. Jocketty can find talent, we all know that. It's just that he's had more money at his disposal to pick up that needed talent. Krivsky was a guy who had experience finding low-cost talent but Castellini apparently didn't like to wait...

During Jocketty's last 10 years in St. Louis, he was able to spend, on average, $25 million more per year than the Reds did. That's about 55% more money available for payroll. You can find some really nice talent for $25 million a year.

Jocketty may not be a good fit for the Reds but it will take more than 10 months to decide that.

lollipopcurve
02-11-2009, 10:37 AM
There are a lot of factors that come into play and money is a big one for Cincinnati. Jocketty can find talent, we all know that. It's just that he's had more money at his disposal to pick up that needed talent. Krivsky was a guy who had experience finding low-cost talent but Castellini apparently didn't like to wait...

During Jocketty's last 10 years in St. Louis, he was able to spend, on average, $25 million more per year than the Reds did. That's about 55% more money available for payroll. You can find some really nice talent for $25 million a year.

Jocketty may not be a good fit for the Reds but it will take more than 10 months to decide that.

Very sane.

Unassisted
02-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Maybe Brad Pitt could come in and run the team on an interim basis while he's doing his research for playing the role of Billy Beane in Moneyball.
The Reds are a bit short on mustaches now that Javy is gone. http://www.emofaces.com/en/buddy-icons/m/mustache-buddy-icon.gif

KronoRed
02-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Kim Ng. It's time.

In Cincinnati? No chance at all.

wheels
02-11-2009, 08:32 PM

Which is pretty much the point I was trying (and failing) to make.

As an aside, I kinda remember the Cards floundering a bit before the McGwire deal. I wonder about their attendance pre-McGwire. Walt should know first hand that if you build it (a winner, not a stadium) they will come. I wonder if he could ever convince Castellini that the fans need the Reds to prove it on the field before the turnstyles really start clicking.

Chip R
02-11-2009, 09:07 PM
As an aside, I kinda remember the Cards floundering a bit before the McGwire deal. I wonder about their attendance pre-McGwire. Walt should know first hand that if you build it (a winner, not a stadium) they will come. I wonder if he could ever convince Castellini that the fans need the Reds to prove it on the field before the turnstyles really start clicking.

1990 2.5M 6th place finish
1991 2.4M 2nd place finish
1992 2.4M 3rd place finish
1993 2.8M 3rd place finish
1994 1.86M 3rd place finish 56 home games
1995 1.75M 4th place finish 72 home games
1996 2.6M 1st place finish
1997 2.6M 4th place finish McGwire traded to StL 7/31/97
1998 3.2M 3rd place finish

westofyou
02-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Which is pretty much the point I was trying (and failing) to make.

The Cards fans come out, the Reds fans as a strength is a myth. The Cards have always drawn better than the Reds aside from the 70's... baseball is second to football and maybe basketball in Cincinnati and the surrounding areas.

redsmetz
02-12-2009, 07:53 AM
The Cards fans come out, the Reds fans as a strength is a myth. The Cards have always drawn better than the Reds aside from the 70's... baseball is second to football and maybe basketball in Cincinnati and the surrounding areas.

It's clear the 70's were the high water mark for the Reds and we've been trying to get back there since. I do know that the times I've gone to ballgames at Busch (haven't been to the new park yet), it was positively electric. It was clear to me that it was a different dynamic than we experience in Cincinnati. It was night and day really.